1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Owner Stereotypes?

Aug 20, 2010

1. Yes-- even my friends who know I dislike pets are always teasing by asking me when I'm going to finally get my first 6 cats. XD You're a crazy doll lady, you'd better get some cats, otherwise they'll come take away your Crazy Doll Lady Membership Card!

The elephant-in-a-bush example is great! - The breadth of the viewer's experience is everything. My grandfather was born & raised in the Bronx, completely cut off from the earth under the pavement... the first time he came to our country house and saw a sunflower growing in the ground, he asked "So where's the pumpkin?" He knew it was a plant that yielded a seed that was good to eat toasted with salt, but since all he knew from the store was pumpkin seeds, he figured this must be the source. :whee: He was just judging by the part he knew & the part he could see, after all.

But the sad flipside is that, while there is always so much more than the stereotype-fitting 'sample' the viewer sees, you just cannot make them care enough to see the rest of it. That is to say, you can tell people "but not all doll owners are like that!" until you're blue in the face, but you can't force them to ditch the stereotype, because it's a comfortable shorthand for them to hold onto. Even if you show them the rest of the elephant, they'll still zero in on the trunks. People tend to resist enlightenment.

2. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      i think you cant put bjd owner into stereotypes. everyone is different and every hobby has his own facets. it would be stereotype if everyone had the same doll with the same make-up and clothes, but every doll is too unique for that <3

2) Be honest - do you think you fit the stereotype at all? Not at all? Why?
      no~ i wouldnt say that, because im always a little strange with all i do XD if its with music, fashion or hobbies or so im always a bit of everything, so no stereotype!

3) How do you think there came to be stereotypes in the BJD hobby?
      well if there are stereotypes maybe it comes from that many doll owners give advices for non-owner, so theyre not copying it but doing the same. and so a few things may be the same.btw i dont like this thinking! its mostly the thinking of someone who doesnt have much to do with the theme or dont know a lot about it. its the same with music, ne?

3. Hmm, you know, I have sort of pieced together a stereotype from bits and pieces that people have mentioned on forums. It's kind of a hodge-podge. BJDs fans are mostly female, like yaoi, are fans of anime, manga, and Japanese culture in general, enjoy video games, are nerdy, and are generally overweight and misfits.

Do I fit this stereotype? Half and half. I am female and I do like anime, manga, Japanese culture, video games, and geek culture. However I am not interested in yaoi, and I'm not overweight or a misfit (to my knowledge :lol:). Well, I guess the misfit thing is a matter of opinion. I have found plenty of people to fit in with, but I do not have much to talk about with the average person, merely because I am not interested in TV, sports, pop culture, partying, etc.

The problem with stereotypes is that sometimes people use them as an excuse to not get to know people individually, and to form simple opinions with them without expending effort. Obviously I am more than half a stereotype. I love reading, singing, and animals more than I love learning about Japanese culture, for example. However, stereotypes do exist for a reason, and I fulfill half of the one I have noticed for BJD fans! Just remember to never take stereotypes too seriously or judge people with them and it's all good :lol:

4. Ah...Looking at it now, I think my reply sounded kind of egotistical, but it's actually just my POV on the whole stereotypes thing.

major tl;dr ahead.

I have a philosophy that many (well, maybe A LOT) of people actually gravitate towards a stereotype, rather than simply exist as a stereotype inherently. I suppose this is the basis for culture, certain behaviors based on age, etc. in human society.

Basically, people live and breathe their collective thoughts, fears, and desires and have a strong drive to express those things, as well as find a way to escape the frustration of constant judgement from society/people. We look for acceptance and familiarity, as well as adopt ideas and behaviors from all sorts of places. The whole thing is really interesting.

Anyway...I DON'T think I'm a special snowflake...just to clarify. I think I'm horribly stereotyped in a lot of ways and terribly unoriginal most of the time. (and couldn't care less)

I think Inkybear has an interesting point though. I think we all have an idea of how outsiders see the hobbyists, but what about our own stereotypes within the hobby? Now THAT'S interesting.

Here's a few stereotypes I've encountered, not in any particular order and some of us are probably more than one:

1.) "arteest" - Usually drawn to the hobby because of the artistic implications. Has a taste in dolls that runs along the lines of semi-realistic or unusual. Either spends a lot of time modifying, painting, or taking pictures of their OOAK creations.

2.) "only-girls" - the owner is usually female and has a specific interest in beautiful female dolls. She either can't bond with boy-dolls, thinks they are "boring", or just plain dislikes them. Sometimes she has a collection of very lovely limited girls with amazing face-ups and gorgeous clothes and sometimes she is an owner with dolls who are identified as Lesbians.

2.) "only-boys" - the opposite of "only-girls" but with a lot of the same characteristics. This stereotype seems to be more common than the former. He/She probably also has a penchant for Yaoi/Slash and an avid interest in Asian culture.

3.)"storyteller" - has a group of dolls that all function as the persona in some sort of story. NEVER buys dolls that do not function as a character and will often "re-shell" their characters in another "resin-form". They usually spend a lot of time on photostories or photography.

4.) "Volks-lover" - Loves volks and that's about it. NOT automatically a snob.

5.) "MNF/fairyland-fanatic" - Has been spoiled by the awesome posing of Fairyland dolls and can't stop buying Minifee. Probably has their eye on some Pukifee as well.

Er...there's more but I think this is long enough. It was strangely entertaining, writing this...

5. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      (see all the posts above, there are lots)

Totally... mostly.
      --Cats, I has them.
      --Asian stuff is cool, but I am no expert in any of it. Except at eating the local sushi place.
      --I shop at Hot Topic occasionally, though everyone thinks this is regrettable, since I am over 50
      --BJDs are tame and boring compared to many of my friends' hobbies. The former bsdm peeps say the dolls are creepy, though .
      --I *am* a fantasy/sf nerd. "White and Nerdy" was written for me. (He made up the Segway part, though.)
      --I like taking my dolls apart and customizing them, so I fail at porcelains, or I would collect them too. I do have vinyl OT dolls, and have had them since I was four. (not the same ones, sadly. I had the original Barbie and Black Barbie, alas, all worn out and long gone now).

Why are there stereotypes?

Human nature.

PS Dissonant's post is really fun :)

6. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Yes of course, and I think you have several groups. The 'Weeaboos', the whining pre-teens (can be subgroup of the 'Weeaboo'), the lonely hearts, the psychotic recluses, someone said drama llamas (which made me giggle and agree) and of course the criminally insane masterminds who are amassing an army of plastic followers (sorry sorry resin). We all have e-lawyers who will sue you for slander at the slightest provocation and most important of all, none of us have lives, friends or even brains, we are merely the victims of the whoremongering capitalist doll regime and/or bring out the banhammer.

If you mean my own version of the stereotype no, but there may be others out there I do fit. I would like to visit Japan but am far too proud of my English/Flemish heritage to ever desire to be AZN. I would also like to visit America, Australia Thailand and Dublin, I don't dream of having been born there either. While I don't flinch away from drama llama (they can smell fear) I have no desire to e-sue anyone or call out 'FLAMER TROLL', that sort of behaviour should have ended with the stonewall riots. I don't think my dolls are real, and I don't use them to fill the void left by friends who abandoned me at the age of six. Sorry, but no.

Because A; a few high published individuals of the internets reflect this stereotype.
      Because B; it's funny
      Because C; people are idiots
      and/or finally D; There aren't sterotypes, a few people are like this, a few people aren't welcome to Life, the Universe and Everything

7. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Yes, In my neck of the woods doll collectors are considered a bit off the wall. Most people who do collect do so with porcelain or cabbage patch or barbie dolls. Dolls that I collect are not appreciated.
      I think the stereotype is that they replace children.

I also think that people who collect are often interested in Manga and so forth, but not all. I find Manga and Anime interesting, but I don't have a connection to it.
      I think the other stereotype is that they replace children. Not so in my case. I never wanted children and don't collect the dolls as a substitute.

There are stereotypes in any hobby. People need to place others in groups so they can feel more comfortable with themselves. Many people are uncomfortable with dolls and the realistic faces and so forth and I think that building a certain MO for doll collectors is a way of explaining the hobby. Many people are nervous around things they don't understand. Hence, stereotypes.

8. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Basically, what everyone else has been saying. Either likes anime, is lonely, etc.

Honestly, yes. But when i first got into BJD i had no idea they were Asian. I am horriable at human interaction, but not from lack of trying. I love people and i love being around people, i just am shy or tend to be awkward and that puts people off. I like people and love being around them, i've always drawn people watched people and i think that's why i like dolls so much.
      I think dressing up dolls is way healthier then dressing up your dog and pretending it's your child.

I honestly don't know because you can't pinpoint were it started mainly because there are so many. The anime stereotypes probable have to do with the doll owners that enjoy anime and dress their dolls up like anime characters. The lonely, antisocial, stereotypes probably come from old stereotypes from porcelain doll collectors.

9. I think the general doll colectors sterotype ideas are more prevalent than any of the specific ones, at least coming from outside the hobby. As others have mentioned eariler, anyone without contact in that type of area isn't going to know about certain things (like the average person on the street doesn't know about lolita fashion).

The otaku/japanophile sterotype almost seems to come from itself; anime/costume/ect people going to cons and seeing the 'overweight yaoi crazy ones ect ect' type and making assumptions.

You can't really excape sterotypes, and people will always make assumptions, especialy if you fit part of the criteria for one.

10. Well I am slightly crazy so I don't fit into a stereotype lol
      I am not obsessed with anime or japan, persionally I'd rather explore more of Canada then say go to Japan

11. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Before I read this thread, the stereotypes I've known to be associated with it are immaturity, eccentricity, and loneliness.

I can be immature sometimes. I'm eccentric. I'm reclusive, but not lonely. I have no desire for children. I'm sure people will mistake my collecting for child replacements. I'm part Japanese. I like anime geared to older audiences, but there are exceptions. I enjoy games, many types of geeky cons every other year or so, cosplaying at cons, gothic clothing for special occasions, yaoi/yuri, and fanfiction once in a blue moon.

It's an evolutionary mechanism. As someone said about the cats, when your mind forms a stereotype you will pay attention to info that validates your conclusion the most.

12. I have to say that I fit the BJD stereotype very well. I seem to be a bit young for this hobby (I'm fifteen), but I'm in love with anime, and I do use the word Kawaii to describe thing sometimes. I take my doll to anime conventions, and sometimes even stash her in my bag when I'm around town. But not because I want to show off or alienate people. I just enjoy having her nearby me.

I'm a fan of BL, I love Kingdom Hearts, and I cosplay. Is that such a bad thing?

13. What? You mean... that's not IT? :?
      :mwahaha

I wish it didn't hit QUITE so close to home with me, but hey, there we have it. Except for the fact that I'm old enough to frequently be mistaken for my daughters' grandmother (and I don't mean the fact that I look just like she did at this age) --

I absolutely love anime and manga, and have for a very long time. Not ALL of it; like every other popular art form there is some perfectly egregious trash. But I also am serious about history in general and have had both an entertainment and a scholarly interest in both anime and manga, so it's not as though I'm just some rabid fangirl running around squeeing. (Most of the time, anyway ;) )

Hideous sums of money? Check. But see all of the hundreds of threads about the hideous sums of money other groups of stereotypes spend on other hobbies. Big fat hairy deal, IMHO. I could still be a smoker - a habit I gave up some 25 years ago. I'd have easily spent as much on killing my lungs by now. Ya know?

I do sometimes use the dolls as a substitute for "soft-resin" friends, but that's because I live in a VERY conservative part of the world and I am not a very conservative person. It's preferable to me not to be put in a situation where conflict would arise because of personal beliefs. I work with a few like-minded people, but if you spend 40-50 hours a week with someone already, it's nice to have a change at the end of the day. And I do have "real life" friends, but they're scattered quite literally all over the world, not in this particular town. So ... why not?

Do I understand the difference between reality and fiction? Of course. I even know the difference between fact and opinion... but we'd best not go there as it gets into politics. Do I often wish that fiction and reality could merge? Oh boy you bet. There are a lot of times and places I'd love to experience that aren't 21st century USA. But since I can't, why not pretend and play sometimes?

So we're stereotyped. It's ALWAYS too general, there are ALL sorts of people in this hobby and I, for one, am darned pleased about that. :)

14. I think the biggest stereotype I've come across in this fandom to be that when most people, including BJD owners go to think of the average BJD owner they think of a woman, and as one of the seemingly very few representatives of my gender in this fandom I find that intriguing. Not that it bothers, mind you, as I find being the lone guy in a room full girls when doing anything doll related to be very pleasant.

15. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.Yes, and it's been repeated many times in this thread for me to repeat.

Not really - least not remarkably so.
      - I may read a tiny bit of manga, but I also read alot of books and like other art.
      - Sure I'm interested in Asian culture, but as "it's interesting and something to learn," vs. "forget my own ancestry, I wanna be Japanese!!!XD"
      - I don't care for Yaoi.
      - I don't have any cats (though all these cat in the box pics are fueling my want of one :))
      - I play video games Final Fantasy
      - I don't believe my dolls are real, and they most definitely don't have a soul.
      - I feel sorry for people who don't have a hobby (Most of my friends actually - what do they do?)

I'm copying what others have stated: Human nature.
      And maybe seeing kawaii typed too many times:|

16. In my area, I don't think there is a stereotype. The one bjd collector I know here is a sporty, no-nonsense type who has revealed no love of anime or asia. Do I fit a stereotype? I don't really know. I haven't been part of this community for very long, but I love to create...I have a NEED to create and dolls are just another outlet for me. I'm not an anime fan or an otaku by any stretch (though there are a few I love), I am minoring in Japanese language but I'm not obsessed with Japan and I don't want to live there or wish I was Japanese. I'm a goth, and I'm obsessed with fashion. Maybe fashion and art are stereotypes, I don't know. :P I have plenty of realworld friends, and for me dolls are art objects. I love dolls as much as I love my paintings and other art bits around my home. I do own cats...and if I could I'd be a crazy cat lady. So that part of the stereotype is true haha.

How are stereotypes created? Well, I'm an anthropology major so don't get me started! It's human nature. We try to group things into easily understandable, easily comprehend-able little packages knowing perfectly well those are hardly accurate. We like to pretend they are, because it's easier. Stereotypes suck. I don't fit any of the stereotypes for the subcultures I belong to. :P

17. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Put into a stereotype, but that doesn't necessarily mean we follow them. I mean, for example, the only stereotype-like thing I fit is that I like video games and some (VERY SOME) anime, and lolita. I really don't like anime much though. I kind of used to, but not anymore.
      Not all of the BJD owners are really strange. I'll be collecting my dolls for photos and- well, I'm an artist, and I want to learn how to do faceups and clothes. Plus, I just think they're awesome and I love their faces and all the different sizes.
      Some owners are a little odd with things. You know, like the ones who want to marry their dolls, honestly believe they can hold a conversation with their dolls, things like that. It's just awkward. (I don't mean to offend anyone by this. I'm just saying, I don't like to be stereotyped like that. Honestly, it kinda' offends me a little. D:
      But yeah, there is a stereotype. However, doll lovers are just as versatile as any other thing, I believe.

What I explained in the above section. The only thing about me that I really fit is the 'young-loli doll collector' stereotype. I just love fashion, and that's how it is. But that doesn't really stereotype me. Most people who delve into lolita and dolls who are the 'stereotype' (and who are made fun of) are also crazy anime and game fans. There aren't A WHOLE lot of people like that here, though, I noticed. Most people here are older people who have kids or better jobs and just like the hobby!

Asian. Asian. Asian. Most of those BJD's are so Asian. And of course, most of the dolls are big eyed and anime-tized, you know what I mean? Those types of people, like anime lovers, just flock to these kinds of fads. I'm not saying that's a bad thing of course. They can be very nice people. I mean, I'm -kind- of one of them. But honestly, I only really like two animes.
      It all stems off to the obsession with Asian fashion and trends, I believe. ^^

This is a very interesting topic. I wanna lurk on it for a while. :D

Edit: The above poster is apparently my twin or something, because every single thing that person said about themselves is like me. I minor study Japanese and the writing (language is pretty) I want to visit Japan only because of all the cool sites to see and hot springs and stuff, and because my best friend Rina-ran (who's also on this forum somewhere) lives there, but it has nothing to do with Japan or Japanese people, as to the reason I want to go. The very first major in college I planned on taking was Anthropology, too. And I'm into more 'gothic' lolita styles, haha. By no means am I an 'otaku' either. In fact, I can't even really stand most anime.
      Just found that to be cool.

18. I think I found my bjd collecting twin lol. This is definitely an interesting thread, I'll be lurking around here myself. ^_^

19. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.

I am sure we are all thought of as lonely fools who need dolls for companionship!

I don't really. I'm married and happy in that marriage. I have one child, so the dolls are not my children. I have collected dolls (antique, china, plastic, composition, Barbie) my whole life. I feel as if BJD's are just another part of that love. My daughter is into anime, so I like it, but don't seek it out on my own. Some anime's like Fruit Baskets are great and I would love to have dolls made of those characters. I don't listen to Japanese music and come from a large family. I am health conscious, not overweight and know next to nothing about computers. I don't think I fit the stereotype at all, yet I love dolls!

Most stereotypes, I have found, hold a grain of truth. It never does to generalize an entire population, but a stereotype comes around because enough people fit the same public image that in people's mind's it becomes a collective generalization.

However, that being said I don't think BJD's are well enough known internationally to really merit a stereotype that would be well known to the public. I tend to think that the lonely, delusional shut in that we imagine all BJD's owner to be, is, even though we know it not to be true, imagined by ourselves within the hobby.

20. I like sewing too!!! and you can recycle your old clothes into little clothes for your doll, how cool!