1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll Owner Stereotypes?

Aug 20, 2010

1. Holy crap dude! I've never even thought of doing that! That's an excellent idea!
      It's so obvious, I feel dumb for not thinking of it. xD I'm glad I saw this so I'd notice sooner.

2. Be honest - do you think you fit the stereotype at all? Not at all? Why?

Not at all. I'm not into Anime, don't even know what Manga is, and I'm not into Oriental culture. I don't care for dark or goth, don't have cats, and don't play video games.

I'm just an elderly, white-haired grannie who likes the dolls because they are beautiful, and I love costuming. That's it.

3. In all honesty, I think the "stereotype" of BJD owners as anime/Japan fangirls into goth or loli is more a stereotype by BJD owners of other BJD owners rather than a stereotype from outside the fandom. Perhaps other people who are members of those fan groups already might stereotype BJD owners as well but as for the general population.... uhh no... I don't think things like that are even on their radar.

Whenever I tell people in the 30+ age category (who are not otherwise into anime/other Japanese hobbies) I collect dolls, their first thought is either Barbie or porcelain dolls, with occasional thoughts of American Girls, since these are dolls most people know. If I then say I collect specifically Asian dolls or Asian ball joint dolls, most people will think things like traditional wooden Asian dolls or more traditional looking Asian porcelain dolls, aka something more like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/143632359_9266a49348_b.jpg

I don't know anyone who immediately makes the jump to anime or anything even closely resembling BJDs unless they are already into say anime and already know about this hobby having seeing other hobbyists at anime cons.

1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.

See above for my stereotype for someone who is not a part of this hobby.

My own stereotype of my fellow collectors is:

Someone more interested in spending money on dolls/accouterments for their dolls than on things for their actual selves. i.e. all the many people here who think nothing of spending a small fortune on a doll, but then whine when you ask them to spend money going out to eat at a restaurant that charges more than a fast food place

Someone who feels guilty if they are not constantly "bonding" with their dolls and think the rest of us should as well.

2) Be honest - do you think you fit the stereotype at all? Not at all? Why?

No, I do not think I fit the stereotype I've created in my mind of other owners.

3) How do you think there came to be stereotypes in the BJD hobby?

Everyone has expectations when they meet a fellow owner and wants to see
      someone like themselves. I know I have my stereotypes of other owners based on my experiences with various threads on DoA and various owners I've met in person.

Among the actual stereotypes probably of doll owners, I suspect it is people thinking about what is familiar to them and again expectations. As the above poster made clear, a lot of people have no idea about anime so have no reason to associate these dolls with anime at all.

Stereotypes of other doll owners of course would be different in other countries, I am speaking specifically from a US perspective. Though I would say it is a foreign stereotype that in places like Japan people walk around all the time with their dolls and it is considered normal. It is not.

4. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.

They certainly do... And it suprised me at first. When I first saw pictures of BJD I just found them to be so beautiful and interesting. I tought they where about creativity and making characters/storys. When I got more involved into the scene trough forums. I discovered a lot of ''weird'' aspects about this hobby. Now I am talking about all the manga/anime fanatics and yaoi fans. And to be honest... they get on my nerve. Especially yaoi. Not because the gay aspect but because yaoi couples are TO perfect to be true... Like its all fairytales in a gay way. I espacially cant stand people who make couples of any strait male anime character they think look cute...
      Also manga/anime fans who keep sqeeking japanese words are getting on my nerves.
      Now I don't think anime/manga/yaoi lovers are horrible people... I have to admit two sexy looking guys kissing looks cute and I also like anime. But the whole fangirl attitude some people have about these things is really annoying to me...
      And since these people are the one standing out. You get this stereotype.
      But there are more groups involved in this hobby. I think almost every stereotype can play with BJDs. Even footbalplayers can dress their dolls in the colours of their favourite team.
      But anime lovers are the biggest group I think...

I think i fit the stereotype a little... I have watched some anime. I like anime because of the storylines, they are much more creative I think then most hollywood films. But I also watch House and crime scenes?
      I also play RPG and play video games. My hobbys are a little nerdy...
      Mostly, I like BJD's because of the creative aspects. I love to draw them, sew for them, face-up them, picture them, RP them, make props for them, ect! My dolls have a fantasy style. I think mainly I fit the bjd stereotype of fantasy lover ;)

Like I said earlier, anime lovers are just the biggest and most noticable group around the BJD world. They set the stereotype.

5. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Yes. I think people naturally think it's an odd hobby, especially if you're an adult. So because of that, I think there are many that would put us in the "Weird" category.

I'm for sure a unique person anyway, and I know I have creeped a few people out when they found out I collected BJDs. Really though, atleast I have a hobby and the people that matter to me most don't mind.

I'm not really into anime or manga anymore, though, if we're talking about that. However, I'll always be a Sailor Moon fan, so... 8D

A lack of understanding, open-minds, and respect. I'd go into how I feel, but that would be (and sound) totally selfish and obnoxious.

6. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      I think the stereotypes most people think of are, in order of abundance:
      - "spoiled" teenagers who love EMO, Tokyo Hotel and Kawaii stuff but don't really know much about anime.
      - mid 20's to mid 30's anime lover fat goth women.
      - unusually creative middle aged women who are also into arts and crafts.
      - gay or bi men from 20's to 40's into anime/manga.
      - rarely: heterosexual male in their 20's into anime styled videogames.

I don't fit any of the stereotypes above, furthermore I don't think I fit any stereotype whatsoever because for good or for bad, I am a total freak.

Like any stereotype it comes from a very broad generalization based on actual experiences with reality that keep being reinforced by the fact that we all tend to focus on and remember better the features that actually fit the stereotypes, whatever the stereotype might be.

7. This is hilarious. I used to think this when I was a kid too. :lol: Nothing is total. Everybody everywhere fits somebody's stereotype somewhere! Guaranteed. Even the snowflakes are snarking on each other for being cliche'd.

8. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Yes. I think we're put into a stereotype as a community, and then we place others inside our community into more stereotypes. We further divide ourselves up into "categories", like any community or society does. However, we are still one whole group of people, and we aren't going to let any stereotypes get in the way of us communicating and being friendly with one another. I think there are stereotypes due to a number of things; age, wealth, location, how much certain people care for their dolls opposed to others, artistic ability, photography skills, doll customization...the list goes on and on.

I think we all fall into at least one stereotype, whether we like it or not. And what one person views as a "stereotype", another may view as something else. Perhaps they don't view it at all. Perhaps they disregard it as a whole? Social classing, stereotyping, and anything that has to do with judging others based on silly things always can be interpreted differently by different people. Opinion plays a big part in classifying anything in a community situation.

I personally would classify myself as one with a young age, but who thinks of herself more mature than her peers. Not her peers on DoA, but her peers in real life. I also classify myself as one who is fortunate in the department of wealth, and who tries not to "flaunt" that aspect of the hobby. A lot of owners seemingly buy expensive outfits for their dolls or buy expensive dolls, (or any other accessory for that matter), and place all of the most expensive pieces they have together for a photo shoot. This shows they are "above" other members who may not be able to afford those sorts of things, which I think is wrong. Of course, not everyone thinks that way, and I'm assuming the majority of the people on here do not think that way, but some may. I also consider myself to have a bit of artistic ability, seeing as I can sew decently and, when equipped with a proper camera, I can take decent pictures. I am by no means a photographer, but I could, if given the opportunity, take nicer pictures of my dolls. Some owners either don't care to show their dolls to the community with fancy photographs, or they just can't take nice pictures. Some people on here are extremely gifted and I love looking at their work. And some fall in between.

Then again, that's all my opinion, isn't it?

Like I said, stereotypes just...arise in any community. They are almost unstoppable. Caste-like systems have been around since the start of recorded time. Someone is always placed at the top of the pyramid, and there are people under them. I think that may just be the natural order of things, as immoral as it may seem. Equality is extremely difficult to obtain in the society I observe around me, and I can assume it is similar in other places in the world.

9. Ok, let me re-phrase it so that it doesn't read as "I'm as special as a snowflake".
      I have an array of "hobbies" and interests that would make it virtually impossible that I could be fitted into a neat category because of their various dissimilarities.
      For example, imagine an intersex astronaut who collects BJDs, who professes Judaism and is also a Holocaust denier.
      We can both agree that my example would be fairly "unique" can't we? but we can also agree that it's uniqueness is not necessarily a good thing so there is no need to be condescending. ;)

10. "Neat" is the operative word re categories. It may never be a neat fit, but every square peg fits into some hole. Since other people are the ones defining the holes they're putting you into, it's futile trying to tell them that you don't fit.

11. WOAH. Now this seems a bit dogmatically worded doesn't it? "As mentioned,doll owners are into anime,manga,and so on..."

I may be into anime and manga and japanese culture, but that's only because I grew up on it and I'm naturally interested in it. Go figure that I would eventually run into the hobby of BJDs... Right? I mean, I love the hobby simply because I'm artistically inclined and I LOVE to design fashion things and sew. Now that doesn't make me one of a stereotype, oh no. In fact I may surprise a few people who have the assumption that it's usually "spoiled anime kids" who get into the hobby...

As far as I knew, the most common "stereotype" for a BJD collector to me was a middle aged woman who enjoyed sewing or those kinds of home-y things. Rarely did I see any tutorial/face up videos about BJDs done on Youtube that weren't by an older woman. And a couple of the gathering videos I've seen usually had older women (youngest being someone who can have a steady job, since this hobby costs a lot.)

Yes, anime geeks can get into BJD collecting. That doesn't mean they're bad and we should shun them simply because they enjoy asian culture and BJDs is just another part of it they can understand and love.

Saying there is a "stereotype" for BJD collectors is just... nearly impossible. And I've seen guys who collect them too, so saying the stereotype is just women would be wrong. Women would just be a "majority" of the BJD collectors. The same way Anime geeks can be a majority of BJD collectors in general. I just don't really see the point in trying to peg down a stereotype on the people who are into this hobby.

12. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.

Ok, i'll be honest: I'm a sophomore in High School. When I told my friends of this new hobby, my anime and non-anime friends thought it was stupid and immature. They also said that my precious Karin was creepy :( . So I guess the typical BJD owner stereotype would be immature.

Also, I know some people consider it another aspect of anime. And while I guess that's half true, not really.

Ok fine. So i'm a bit immature. But i'm also very mature. So that's kind of confusing.

I don't know really. Maybe when people named them Ball Jointed Dolls. And when some hear the word doll, they immediately think something along the lines of Barbie.

For the second stereotype, I guess when BJD's became part of anime con's :sweat

13. I'm so new to the community that I really had no idea what the stereotypes were until I read the thread. I confess, I fit some, if only loosely. I'm overweight with some holdover Goth tendencies that never went away, I had cats until I moved to a pet-free complex, and I enjoy some anime and manga. I also participate in Star Trek fandom, have been active in SCA and Ren faires in the past (and hope to be again, soon), and I'm working on a costume for my Steampunk persona. My comic collection is significantly larger than my manga collection and I still have my old toys, including Jem and She-Ra (yeah, I'm that old...). I play board and card games, when time permits I do tabletop RPG, and I PC game. And yes, I'm socially inept. All in all, I am a well-rounded geek. Somehow, I'm raising a surprisingly outgoing and socially aware little girl.

14. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      I would say so. From what I hear from others (and read about in journals, DA stamps, the like) people tend to see doll owners as spoiled kids, people with too much of a disposable income, or just not good with money. There's definitely a sort of thinking, in my opinion, that links doll owners with anime fans or Japanophiles.

I guess I can be a little reckless with money, but not to the point of ignoring bills or food or things like that. As far as the anime fan, or Japanophile, I'd have to say I really don't fit that image. lol I do like anime, this is true, but I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" per se.

Stereotypes usually exist either from ignorance or because there are so many who have the quirk or characteristic that it becomes something commonly known. The thought that doll owners are spoiled brats, rich, or bad with money is, I think, definitely something based in either people being jealous, or that they don't see how doll owners scrimp and save to afford these dolls, or that they make a lot of what the doll has themselves. As far as the anime fan/Japanophile stereotype, it's true that a lot of doll owners actually love anime. At least, in my opinion... O.o

15. 1) Do you think BJD owners are put into a stereotype? If so, describe it.
      Well....I remember someone posting some time ago about a news program who did a report on ball joint dolls, and how in the end, they sort of made the owners seem slightly like doll crazed people who all talk and refer to their dolls like living beings. Of course, the girls were just nervous about being on TV, and they simply told them that, yes, these dolls had personalities that they gave them, but in the end, they made the girls seem like 'those crazy doll ladies'....

Also, besides 'those anime dolls', I've also seen them related to girls who also enjoy Lolita fashion and people who like cosplay, as well as people with a ton of money.

Haha, I like Lolita *and* Hime-kei! I also take pride in creating the personality of each doll, but that's more because of my personality, my desire to completely know a person when I want to become their friend, therefore, my characters aren't just some 'vampire girl' or 'half angel, half demon', they have pasts, family, circumstances that shape who they've become. Not too big on anime, though I do enjoy manga every so often. And I think I've told enough stories about how much money I didn't have when I was buying these dolls....

Probably most from how people found these dolls. How many of us came across a BJD at an Anime convention? Or how many discovered them while looking up pictures of their favorite character? I came across my first doll, a Dollfie Dream while looking through an artist's CG drawings. And since a lot of fashion for these dolls are Lolita geared, it's just as easy to see the connection there. And probably most obviously, their big eyes, and the fact that they're mostly made in Asian countries (though we all know that anime comes from Japan, and most of these dolls are Korean and Chinese based) and their price.

16. lol, and i was just about to start a thread on the same topic ^^;.
      posted this up in my dA journal, facebook and earlier on in a local forum.
      sorry for the wall of text ^^;;

--------

At a recent concluded meet, there was a trio of university students who joined us for their project work. a few of us got interviewed by them, including myself, and this was one of the questions asked. i was caught off guard, and just shot whatever came to my mind =_=; that was total fails. anyway, i couldn't help but think furthur into it, and... seriously, i should have shot them with this answer instead...

Q: What are your views on sterotypes (doll owners)?

Define what a sterotype dollowner is to you as a public. In my point of view, there's no such thing as a "sterotype dollowner". You are 3 things, Extreme, the Majority or Low Profile.

Extreme. you are the type who thinks your doll is the world. you'd play with it everyday, dress it up everyday, and is damn obsessed up in it. to the point, you even celebrate your doll's birthday/arrival date, throw a big party for it every year, and send out invitation cards to all your doll's friends and their owners. there was this girl in the community, who said her friend wanted to marry her doll! and she's at a loss as to what to do with this friend of her's. it reminds me of an article, where there was this Japanese guy who was so obsessed with the DS game (i think)Love Plus, that he married his virtual girlfriend in that game.

You can put your male doll, in a pink poofy wig, dress him up in some weird style and post all your blurry photos all over the forum. and still say there's nothing wrong. technically, how you dress and style your doll is your own business. but spaming photos and posting everywhere just shows obsessed you are with your doll. and despite people telling you or giving you tips, you're so ignorant, and think your doll is the world.

another thing, is the public's misconception that Gothic Lolita Fashion (GL) is linked with these Ball Joined Dolls (BJDs). you see people dressed up in Gothic Lolita fashions, and carrying a BJD dressed in similiar fashion. Dress up in GL style, sure. it's your personal taste. Dress your doll the same way, sure; that's your personal taste too. But they're not related. Just because you dress up in GL style, doesn't mean you're a doll owner. For all you know, the doll could have been borrowed. You dress up in GL style, you own a BJD, you think you're an elite doll owner. but that unfortunately, doesn't make a good doll owner.

no, i'm not against doll ownes who dress up GL style. some of my best friends do that. to them, it's a fashion style, but they don't over do it. in fact, the doll they carry becomes something that compliments the outfit, and it actually turns out quite nice. i'm talking about those who over do it, like dress in long sleeved heavy punk jacket, wear 2 or 3 layers of mismatched clothes, baggy jeans in hot summer Singapore. or wear a long poofy black dress and heavy black makeup. have you been watching too much vampire movies?

In the public view, you'll probably come accross as a Japanese wannabe, and is just plain crazy. it tends to send out a negative view on doll owners, that dolls owners are generally japanese wannabes and are weird people, which is of course- not true. Do i look weird or like a japanese wannabe to you? and i'm a doll owner by the way.

Majority; are just your next door neighbour, who just happen to have an interest that's not common. that's all. if you've noticed the owners here (at the meet), how different are we compared to any other people around the area? most of here (at the meet) are in our 20s, the oldest here is already in mid 30s. you don't expect a group of working professionals to do nothing but fuss over dolls, or go hyper over them, do you?

the purpose of a meet is just to get together. we basically share a common interest, and that's what draws us togehter. if you've noticed, we just put our dolls on the table, make sure they're stable, and that's it. we grab a coffee, some light food, and start catching up with each other. once in a while, make sure the dolls are ok, take some photos maybe, and go back mingling.

just because we're doll owners, doesn't mean we don't have other interests or there's no other common topic. other than what's going on in the doll community, we also share on current issues, what's going on in life, movies, fashion, photography tips, and even what's the latest game that's out. it's just a normal day out with friends. no different that the other groups of people you see around here.

Some of us are good at sewing or handicraft, and that also contributes also. if you're good at sewing, you can make your own clothes, and even sellf them or do commissions. there's a married couple we know, who are doll owners also. the husband is good at making scaled props, and he models them with his doll and takes really good photos. his wife is good at kniting, and has done some really nice knitted shawls and sweaters, and accessories too. they both have regular jobs, and to them the doll community is an interest; a hobby.

there are also some other doll owners who are serious enough, and turn the hobby into a respectable business. putting up their own fashion designs for sale, and offering faceup or modding services. or even becoming local dealers for oversea companies.

being doll owners is not everything in life, there are better things to do than play with dolls everyday. but that doesn't mean, we don't care about them either. it's a matter of where our life piority lies.

Low profile. not every doll owner is known to us. there are some doll owners also, who probably due to other commitments, don't meet up often. sometimes they post up photos, or even try and come for meets. but just because they are low profile, doesn't make them any less a owner than the rest of us.

my 3 cents worth of views. so tell me, what exactly are sterotyped doll owners?

17. Was it the Japanorama: Dollfie show, hosted by an Englishman? Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LM0oyLFAOY

I saw this just the other day and was reminded of this thread. I think this is a very good example of an outsiders view on BJD culture. The host is fairly sarcastic and condescending, but I don't know if that's just because he's British (hey look! more stereotyping!) or because that was the purpose of the Japanorama series (I saw a few other segments on it and he treated everything about the same way.)

Either way, it's pretty interesting, considering every single one of the "stereotypes" posted here are filtered through a BJD collector since that's what we all are...it's different to just hear someone's opinion who is completely uninvolved.

18. The host is Jonathan Ross, he's pretty big over here, he had his own show, where he has celeb guests. He's big into Japan and off camera he was probably cuddling the dolls. xD He just has a way of speaking [ Cute lisp and all ] and he does come off as being a little sarcastic.

19. The stereotype I see the most around the net the most is ABJ owners are 20 and 30 something women obsessed with yaoi, who view all other females as unwanted rivals- including fictional ones, and who post pictures of their male dolls in simulated explicit sexual positions on the internet. Plus they act like their dolls are alive and have conversations with them all the time.

Me, I couldn't be much further from that stereotype- I'll be 44 at the end of this month, yaoi bores me to tears, I prefer the company of women to men and am very much a feminist, and a daughter of one as well, I love het romantic couples- if the women is self-assured and the guy admires and loves her for being so, even before I was customizing ABJs as my favorite het fictional couples- and giving them doll families, I was doing so with (much harder to customize) 11 inch fashion dolls. My dolls are just dolls. I don't hold "conversations" with them.

The only thing I've done that sort fits the stereotype is with one set of fictional het couple dolls I have some mildy sexy pictures that I posed them in. I don't view it any different from mildly sexy fanart or fanfiction of those characters. I know it's "weird" but being middle-aged I don't really care if others see it or me as weird. I know I'm weird ;)

20. @Ciarda1966
      I have a similar standpoint on these "stereotypes"
      I have only met bjd owners at anime conventions (Yes, I am an anime nerd) and they all (from a shallow glance) fit into the yaoi-loving, girl-hating, squealing 13 to 30 range. Oh, and don't forget that they treat their boys like little sex toys. Most of my friends who have had no direct contact with bjd owners belive in this stereotype too.
      Sadly, the reason the stereotype exists becasue the more fanatic personalities stand out to the average outsider, so they are the ones getting the most attention. It happens in every sub-culture.
      Honestly, I don't know if I fit into the stereotype from an outsiders point of view. Yes, I love anime. Yes, I'm a dorky teenager. But really I just want my girl so I can sew lots of beautiful clothes that would never look good on myself.