1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll trends ... past, present, and future

Jun 15, 2012

1. Heh... trends, I love 'em and I've got 'em. My first was an ELF El, so I got to hit both the El trend and the elf/fantasy trend. I've got the big dolls, but was trying to ignore them (all those lanky Dollshes...) until the Iple EIDs... Then there was the bazillion little tinies. The anthros. The fantasy parts/hooved trend. And I loved Machina but didn't hop in until Souloid Iraki... and Frankenstein.

Actually, I think it's just diversity and choice and the expanding market that allows the trends. And fashions, which are always trendy...

Me... I just like a LOT of different things. 'Wasn't too into the Lolli stuff, but not against (it's cute!). But other than that, I really could go for it ALL... (unfortunately for me... my poor bank account is constantly sucked dry). *_*

Hmmm... not sure about future trends... More of whatever a company or maker can think of, I suppose... I wouldn't mind seeing more extreme resin colors and more pieces that will fit with various doll parts so you can really kind of assemble your own...???

2. I think in the future we will see more dolls going back to the 60-65 cm range--for a while everyone was getting very tall and unwieldly (and heavy, in the case of EIDs) and I am seeing more enthusiasm for the YID and SID and smaller lines of dolls. I also think the really wild fantasy parts will be non-standard, but maybe ordered a la carte and compatible with more bodies, and there will be more experimenting with colored resin. And I think there will always be a market for Rosette and Lieselotte-type girly girl dolls.
      Personally I am still stuck buying fantasy dolls, and loving it :D

3. I'm not so sure you can draw a line between Blythe and Pullip Collectors and BJD enthusiasts. As someone who still has Pullips and am doing the same hobby type things for the Pullips that I am for the BJDs - sewing, building roomboxes/houses/props, changing wigs, clothes or eyes. And I have noticed a lot of not only big heads but other 'fashion' dolls in a large amount of members flickrs or web sites. I don't mind that DoA draws a line, but I think it's quite blurry in practice.

I think a lot of what is being referred to as trends really fit with current social stereotypical groups, which are easier to access for most of us via a doll than in person.
      Goth, Emo, Lolita, Vampires, Steampunk-ists (?), Hippies, Girlie Girls.

I see the Android/Cyborg trend as something similar but representing those who identify better virtually than in 'real life'

and I love the fantasy dolls but I really think the current 'trend' towards fantasy/sci-fi is also societal and is essentially a backlash to too much reality based entertainment. Fantasy and Sci Fi tv/films/games/etc were considered more sub-culture and would never hope to be prime time entertainment or the most popular genre in anything really... But after a few years of big brother ;every single singing and dancing show possible and master chefs, what shows are at the top of the list

Once Upon A Time
      Grimm
      Awake
      True Blood
      The Walking Dead
      Touch
      Fringe
      etc, etc

We all want stories and fantasies (the dream not the genre) in our lives and really it was cool to spy on other people for a bit, but we're over it now, and we want to eat/watch/read/listen to fiction, not live vicariously through anyone who just 'got lucky enough' to be on tv.

erm
      /rant
      *_*

4. I remember when anthros started to get really popular as well as a period of time when elves and vampires were every where -- then the dolls with the more complicated fantasy parts came along. The trend for more realistic sculpts should not be forgotten, nor the case of dolls getting taller and taller (and in some cases smaller and smaller). More muscular guy dolls also came in as a pretty big trend along with more complicated jointing.

I think we'll see more experimentation with body sculpts. Leeke and Doll Chateau are already going that way, and I know there are more, those were just the two that I thought of off the top of my head. It's something I'm personally glad to see, because I prefer stylized sculpts and I'm hoping that trend will help encourage more offerings that are less realistic.

I think over all, the dolls I tend to be the most attracted to are of the style that was popular when I came into the hobby -- single jointed, stylized headsculpts etc. I guess I just really like the old school sort of abjd look.

5. I agree with Taco. When I first got in, I was drawn by the stylized look of ABJDs, the likes of Delfs, Volks, Soom Gems, Dolkot, and DoD seemed to be monopolizing the market. Then I remember when Soom decided to release monthly dolls, despite having major fantasy elements, they drifted away from their more stylized sculpts and went with more realistic faces. I think later on, Iplehouse started their SID, YID, EID lines sporting realistic features as well.

I think these trends emerge when consumers seeking for alternatives cross paths with companies looking to tap newer markets/broaden scope of consumers. And when that demand is being met, other companies wanna get in on that action resulting in more companies springing up lines catering to similar themes. And then the consumers get bored and the cycle repeats.

I believe as long as companies are remaining viciously competitive, and consumers seem to keep wanting newer shinier things, the chain of trends within the doll community won't be seeing a decline.

6. OMG! I didn't know all that. That is pretty disgusting. I agree with how you feel.

I don't care for cyborgs at all.

I love the pointy ears (elves, fairies).

I have vampire characters but no vampire teeth sculpts, I don't care for them, they're typically too pointy in the features.

I love anthro dolls (cats, unicorns, etc.).

When I first entered the hobby, I was overwhelmed by the amount of Lolita. I didn't know what Lolita was! But I figured it out relatively fast. So, I'm glad to see some other fashion trends coming into play.

A lot of people are talking about the realistic dolls (such as Iplehouse) compared to the anime styled dolls from the beginning. I much prefer the realistic dolls! I don't want to see the anime styles completely washed out because I believe that variety should always be there - we all have a preference, mine leans toward the realistic sculpts. I hope to see more companies offer this.

I also wish to see more companies offer more skin color options and more faceup options.

7. It would be great to see more focus on the 60-65cm dolls. It seems that a lot of dolls I like happen to be in the 70cm range, but they'd be way too tall to fit in with the others, and sometimes separate heads aren't available.

I like elf ears, and though I wouldn't buy a doll with them, I also like seeing dolls with hooves. I like dolls with extensive fantasy parts as long as there's an option for basic human parts. I'm not good at extensive sewing, and I can only imagine how difficult it might be to clothe a doll that might not be able to fit most things. I like the idea of the cyborg/robot dolls, or half-cyborg/half-human; I have a character idea that could benefit from a doll like that. I'm also not a fan of the new Iplehouse doll, though.

I'd also like to see a greater range in face up choices. I know Iplehouse has you choosing between two or three different face ups for the same doll. I think that showing a greater range of possibilities in a doll can probably make people who weren't into a certain doll to think differently. Sometimes, they need to see more potential in what the doll could look like, and that might not be achievable in one face up.

8. One big trend I see is that Asian companies are drawing more and more concepts/characters etc. from Western sources. Instead of being inspired by manga and anime characters, now it's Greek gods and Lizzie Borden.

Another big change in the BJD world is how easy it is for single artists to start up a small online company and sell all over the world. I think this has had a big impact on how diverse BJDs are becoming.

In the future *shakes Magic 8-Ball* I wouldn't be surprised if there is a retro trend for old-school BJDs. I don't see the realistic dolls going away either, they have a big fan base.

If some company can come up with a way to produce affordable custom sculpts to order, they will clean up!

9. Well said! (Side note...I find myself agreeing with alot of Aussies all the sudden...strange!)

I am seeing more & more of the art-dolls.

More diversity in general. I came in right before El & Shiwoo...holy geez...but it was a new company offering a new product. I had the Tan Shiwoo (I still kinda whish I did...).

More body types more head sculpts more clothes more more more is what I see.

I have also noticed a surge of much younger collectors too.

10. Re: Cyborg dollies, I'd think that the first one was Gentaro Araki's U-noss Aika. They came with a mechanical eye and this metallic headpiece, even if their bodies were organic-looking. But the look was there.