1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Doll weight and Body type- which do you prefer?

Aug 18, 2010

1. I know this is going to sound like a strange topic, but after getting a chance to hold friends' dolls I've noticed significant weight differences in dolls (of the same size). Some feel "clunkier/chunkier" than others. Example: I've been told that my Bobobie/RS doll is heavier than most dolls of its size. (though you have to be exposed to a lot of companies' dolls for accuracy I'd assume.)

With "upgrades" (type 2 type 3 bodies, etc) I was concerned that a muscular type body doll might be significantly heavier (of course all companies are different)

-Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      -Have you ever bought a doll, held it, and didn't like the way it felt? (weight-wise)
      -which do you prefer? lighter dolls? bulkier/heavier dolls?

I want to purchase a SD size doll and would love some perspective on weight comparisons (though other sizes as well is fine too)

2. BBB/Resinsoul is actually significantly lighter in weight than most other dolls of the same size o.O in fact a 70cm BBB/RS weighs less than a SD13 which is around 10cm shorter. Within a single company, even with different body types the weight isn't going to change a huge amount, so you should be ok with a body upgrade from the same company. It's when you go from company to company that things start to be drastically different.

-Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      No. If I had a doll that was really lightweight but liked the sculpt, I would keep it but the weight would sometimes bother me. I keep weight in mind as a factor but it wouldn't stop me from getting a doll I loved or convince me to get one I didn't.

-Have you ever bought a doll, held it, and didn't like the way it felt? (weight-wise)
      Yes, I once had a BBB doll for mod practice and I didn't like how light it was. :sweat

Heavier sturdier dolls for me :D

3. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      Honestly I kept in mind that my IH EID is quite a heavy boy. And I`m not very strong woman. But I like his body too much)
      No, I knew what I was going to buy,so it wasn`t surprise.
      The lighter the better. But if to choose between quality and weight... Choose quality and good looks)

4. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?

No, actually, I prefer larger dolls in most cases, so I expect them to be heavier. I do have some MSD's on the way, and what I think might count as a tiny? (its under a foot tall... O_O) Larger ones aren't the ONLY thing I'll buy, but I like them the best! :3

I've only ever held an Iplehouse Ryushin and a Luts Shiwoo and neither of them were mine, but even those surprised me in the weight department at first- they weighed what I expected but really, really surprised me despite that

It depends. The dolls I will be taking places with me are my Kid Delf and smaller dolls. I'll probably take Axel and Avi in to class at some point to show them to my friends, cuz I know they wanna see them, but generally I'd rather have Mishka with me, because he's a smaller cute little guy, or my KDF AN who- OMIGOSHISGETTINGORDEREDTOMORROWEEEEEEEEEEE- .... who doesn't have a name yet.

5. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      nope i quite like heavy dolls
      no i only have one doll but i dont think weight would ever be a problem
      i like big dolls so i expect them to be heavier so i guess i prefer heavy dolls

6. Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?

I prefer my resin to have weight and feel more dense, and as resin quality is something that affects my overall opinion of a company, it does to some extent influence my buying decisions. I like a doll that feels substantial. It's one of the things I am actually worried about the Fairyland purchase I am making. The sculpts and design are great, but Fairyland's resin is nothing to write home about. My Volks dolls have spoiled me.

Have you ever bought a doll, held it, and didn't like the way it felt? (weight-wise)

I purchased a Bobobie doll for my friend for Christmas one year and was extremely disappointed in how thin, brittle, and light the resin was. It was an MSD who ended up weighing less than a Volks tiny. It bothered me. Bobobie and Resinsoul are notorious for having some of the lightest resin around.

Which do you prefer? lighter dolls? bulkier/heavier dolls?

I want a doll with more dense, substantial resin. The lighter, thinner dolls simply don't feel as nice to me.

7. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?

I buy dolls because I love their faces, proportions and general looks. I am unconcerned with their weight.

No.

-Which do you prefer? lighter dolls? bulkier/heavier dolls?

I have both types, light and heavy and they all have their merits.

8. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?

No, it hasn't. It's one of those things that while I do have a preference, it's outweighed by things like the sculpt and how suitable the body is for the character.

Not really -- it's not something that I feel strongly enough about. While I have come to prefer heavier dolls, I don't actually dislike lighter weight dolls

Heavier dolls, though I have a range of weights in my doll family.

For the record, BBB and Resin Soul are actually the lightest resin dolls around that I know of (I have a couple BBBs and a lot of other dolls to compare to). My 60cm Sooms are on the lighter side, though heavier than BBB, and of course my obitsu and obitsu hybrid are light due to the fact that the bodies are vinyl. My heaviest dolls are Volks, my Chiwoo/Serendipity hybrid, and I think my 60cm AOD boy. The rest come somewhere in between.

9. Not sure who told you a Bobobie/ResinSoul doll was heavy, RenaSanverse! In my experience they've been some of the lightest resin dolls on the current market.

Weight is an important factor. I adore my Dollfie Dream for her weightlessness. She's a dream to transport and easy to pose, however this is because she's made of vinyl!

In resin dolls I do look for a comforting weight, it's part of the reason I keep going back to Volks. I had a Delf Lishe who was very dense and heavy to carry and did not want to pose (however, she's moved on now and her new owner adores everything about her, I'm very glad to say). My experience with Lishe put me off resin SDs for a while, but I had the opportunity to get an oldskin SD Megu I couldn't pass up, and even though she is a weighty little thing with crazy legs, I'm thrilled with her and even her weight doesn't bother me. She's even strung quite loosely, so even though she doesn't stand, she sits beautifully in my arms which makes me appreciate the weight even more, she really does feel like a sleepy little person snuggling on my lap.

If you're just starting out and not sure what weight you'd prefer, I really recommend going to local meets and asking around. If you ask politely and have clean hands and somewhere secure to sit, I'm sure most people would be more than happy to let you hold their dolls and test the weight and size for yourself.

10. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      Never. I consider BJD weight just one more of his/her characteristics.

Again never. Some of them are heavier (My heaviest BJD weighs about 4 kilos with his clothes and boots) and some others lighter and it is true a light weight small bulk is easier and more comfortable to carry, but I always may use trolley suitcase when the weight is heavy.

What better fits my BJD characters. I think the same way about any other BJD characteristics.

11. I only have two dolls right now, but I did get to hold quite a few at the doll con in Austin.

Not yet. I buy based on my opinion of the doll's face and other features. My BBB March and FL Littlefee are about the same height, but she is so much lighter than he is! The only thing I like about the Littlefee's weight is that he feels less likely to fall out of my hand; he sits much more firmly and securely than she does.

Again, not yet. I was surprised at the Littlefee's weight but it didn't sway my opinion of it.

I'm honestly not sure yet. I do like that the heavier doll seems to set better than the light one, but I think for extended periods of walking and carrying that the lighter doll would be best. I hold my little ones sitting on my palm, so after awhile of holding my hand a certian way my wrist starts to hurt. It takes longer to do so when I'm holding my light doll. That said my MSD from Iplehouse should be shipping soon and I have a DZ Mo in mind for my next doll. It'll be interesting to see if my opinion changes based on the size of the doll. It may turn out that I like light yo-sizes and heavy msds!

12. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      Nope. Never even though of that before. I suppose it's a good thing to think about, but I don't think that kind of thing has ever bugged me, other than the fact that it's just heavier.

Only beacuse I wasn't used to how heavy it was, thus the breaking of my arms. xD But I got used to it and now it doesn't bother me all that much.

I have no preference, really. A doll is a doll to me, really, and I might just notice the weight at first and then just forget about it.

13. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      So far, no. However, I do love the weight and bulkiness of Volks dolls, and I tend to like this dolls much more for that reason.

Yes. My Rosette Doll is super light, almost too much for comfort. I still think she is so pretty though, so the lack of weight is okay. For the future, I would feel less inclined to buy a Soom doll because of the light resin.

I love the chunky and heavy dolls. :D I'm all about the Volks fatheads and Iplehouse beefcakes.

14. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll ?
      No, though I do make it a point to research what other people say about the weight of that doll in particular. Really, though, it's the face I'm buying for, so even if I didn't like the body so much just seeing it, I tend to warm up to it.
      Not yet, and I hope that doesn't happen. But I don't see that it would, honestly, as I tend to fall for dolls as a whole as soon as they're in my hands.
      Okay, even after all that, I do have to say that I like the heavier dolls. Especially at the MSD size (let's face it, most SD dolls are heavy XD). It's still a little strange for me to be playing with my DZ boy, and then pick up my Kid Delf and be like "Whoa! He's so little!" But I love them both, regardless of weight.

15. -Has Weight/Bulk (or lack there of) ever been a selling point or turn you off to buying a doll?
      No, because I haven't gotten a chance to hold dolls before I buy them. But a very light doll would probably feel flimsy to me and I'd probably feel turned off by that.
      No, but I don't have a whole lot to compare to.
      Heavier and bulkier, even if it makes posing harder. The more weight, the more human. I love it.