1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollfie: A Generic or Specific Term?

Apr 19, 2006

1. In the legal sense, don't call it a dollfie if it isn't a dollfie unless you want much wank. So don't sell a Tiny Fairy as a Little Fair or whatever.

But in most any other sense, call it whatever you like, you won't get in trouble. So long as you're not obscene or something of course.

I highly doubt that the doll would become offended, and I doubt someone who worked at Volks could realistically give a damn - because when you say to someone who is a stranger to ABJD that that doll, regardles of what it is, is a "Dollfie", now you have one more person knows to look for not little fairs, or tiny fairies - but Dollfies. So it's more business to them. Seriously.

And as for explaining to the curious as to what my doll is, I don't say "Dollfie" even though it's a popular blanket term - because if they knew what a Dollfie was or had an idea they prooobably wouldn't ask what KIND of doll it was, but if it in fact was a dollfie. In which case I would say "No - Same idea, but it's made by a different company - Angel Region."

But as to "What kind of doll is that?" I just say, "It's an Asian Ball Jointed doll." Now that sounds horrifically stupid to say because well, uh. DUH? Not like it's a marionette. But people just dont key into the obvious until they're blatantly told, including myself. I mean look at it from an eye that's outside of the fandom. "Angel Region Little Fair" means SFDSAFKJDSKLFJlfkjdsfkjdsaf, when you dont know what the hell an ABJD even is.

Kind of like,
      "Ooh awesome! What is that?"
      "It's a CLK GTR."
      "Er, what?"
      "A race car by Mercedes." /Obvious
      "Oh! Okay ;D"

Thankyou. It is a red herring. I think we both already know what it's distracting from, too <333

2. When my nose is running, I'll say "Kleenex!!!", and if someone pass me a Scott tissue paper, I will still gladly accept it and blow my nose. Because in this case, whether it is true Kleenex or not is irrelevant, I just need to wipe my nose.

When I need photocopies, I will Xerox it. But when it runs out of toner and need to get some, I need to specify it is a Mita instead of a Xerox.

Someone tells me she has a "dollfie", I have a Volks EB body in my think bubble. Then if she whips out a SD/DOT/DOD/Unoa/etc, my think bubble dissolves and I'll go "Oh? Oh.".

Dollfie is a brand name. It leads to miscommuncation (especially in buying and selling) when it is used improperly. It doesn't represent or project status.

3. I think a lot of this perpetuation is helped by Ebay... which has a "Dollfie" category under which, if you don't list your bjd by any company... no one is ever going to find it. Same goes for putting "Dollfie" in the title.

It's a specific term that has been made generic, to the chagrin of many, I'm sure.

But I must say, as a person who owns solely Volks dolls... I don't get offended by the misuse of the term. There are a *LOT* of terms in the bjd fandom... and eventually people will get it right if they want to, but mistakes happen.

4. That's the thing isn't it, whether you are searching on Ebay or Y!J, dollfie just brings you the most returns. If the auction houses stopped lumping everything into that category it wouldn't perpetuate the generic use of the term.

Right now it's simply practical to use it and the the reality of the situation (whether people agree with it or not) is that the market is dictating the use of it generically.

5. I find it too coincedental that most of the Volks bashing comes mostly from non Volks doll owners. Its like, dude, if you dont like them, more power to you! But keep it to yourself, especially if you have nothing worth hearing.
      I am not fond of a few companies dolls and the way they do business, but I dont go talking about it every chance I get.
      *Ok now on to the real subject, just had to get it off my chest. Its just my opinion, and frankly I could care less what anyone has to say about it:) *

I am in no way hyper sensitive, I am just a HUGE Volks fan that doesnt like lies or stupid comments. In all reality, Volks has done more than any company for MABJD fans. They were the first. Thats why they are always the subject of some kind of attention. Naturally, the term dollfie became the norm just like how every 11 1/2 inch doll is called a Barbie.
      I HATE generic terming.
      The brand of cotton swabs I buy is indeed Qtip, but they still are cotton swabs! If I ask for a coke and they give me a Pepsi, I'll chuck it at their heads.
      I am sorry, but if I was Cerebus Project, and I found out someone was calling my art work a Super dollfie. I'd be friggin pissed! People need to understand, no matter how nice or great a company is, simular companies/products are considered Competetion! And with such great products coming from these companies, the stakes are high.
      About ebay and DOA- Really, even though I dont like it, I think the terms are done, and here to stay. The barbie thing happened like what, 50 years ago? It hasnt changed.
      *jen

6. Dollfie: A Generic or Specific Term?

I'm going to say how it's a generic term, whether people like it or not it is. Those who aren't heavy into the hobby but only know it a bit will say dollfie, or super dollfie. Ebay has it as dollfie (seriously they have no reason for them to research it so much to put it into seperate little catergories..i wouldn't)
      I'd say that makes it pretty generic..
      Don't get all up in arms saying you don't like it being generic, and it's rude to the company and all that.. fact of the matter.. it's become generic.

Say what you want when you refer to your doll, feel free to confuse new people when you correct them with a long confusing name but don't get offended when they don't know what the hell you're spouting.

and hands up if you've never ever ever called something by a generic brand name? kleenex, coke, xerox~

7. I just ignore it. Let them call it whatever they want as long as I end up figuring out what they really mean in the end.
      Oh, and for the one who would chuck Pepsi when brought instead of coke,
      Keep in mind some restauraunts only sell one brand because they get paid to advertise it. xD;

8. 'Super Dollfie' and 'Dollfie' are not generic terms in Japan. Terms like 'SD13 boy' etc are used to reference SIZES and if something is marked as 'MSD size' it means exactly that. Just because most (not all) BJD are listed in the Super Dollfie category does not mean that anyone really thinks all the dolls are called that. I don't think 'Ebay says it, so it must be true' is a very good model.

If you need a generic term, what is wrong with 'doll'? Everybody knows what a doll is, it doesn't need any special clarification. It also lends itself to all kinds of non-specialized explanations such as 'It's a Korean doll' or 'It's a very special doll' or 'It's a doll that probably cost more than your computer.' Or yes, even, 'It's a ball-jointed doll'.

9. The problem is people flying off the handle about every little thing. If the mis-use of terminology really, really bothers someone, they are allowed to be angry, but they are not allowed to rip someone's head off about it. That doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Those who feel the need to correct people should do so in a polite, civil manner--with the aim of informing them of a fact they didn't know. NOT to put them down or in essence call them stupid or bad.

People with major anger issues should try to get help for it and not work it out on public forums or on other people.

People who wish to inform and teach in a non-condescending manner are always welcome.

But in general, it's best to just mind one's own business. If someone wishes to use imprecise terminology--that's their business. You just go ahead and use the correct terms and all will be good.

And as others have said, there are many more important things in the world to be concerned about...

10. I have a Japanese magazine that refers to a bunch of dolls as "super dollfie" even though I don't think there was a single super dollfie in the group.

To the uneducated, its all the same.

11. I wasn't saying that. I was saying that is most likely the reason why it HAS become a generic term.

12. I'm still relatively new to doll owning (though I have fallen hard and have at least three dolls planned already XD), and I was just wondering...

I know some people can get offended if you call their (non-Volks) dolls "dollfie", since that is technically a Volks term. But personally I don't see what's wrong with it, especially since "dollfie" is a much more wieldy term than "ball-jointed doll", and besides, it's a word of its own that doesn't really need any translating into different languages, where "ball-jointed doll" is obviously an English term and is kind of awkward to say if you're speaking in another language. (And you can't just say "BJD" cuz no one "outside" will know what you're talking about. XD)

And by the way, I don't know if it's relevant but I thought I'd just note, I'm not particlarly interested in Volks dolls. They don't really appeal to me, I just don't like their style. My first love is Luts and DoD boys. ^^

So... anyway, I was wondering what's the general consensus on this. Are you offended by people calling your (non-Volks) doll a dollfie, or do you think it's a perfectly fine way to refer to all BJD?

13. Dollfie stands for Doll figure [figurine] Volks was the first to use that term for their 27cm sized dolls, and Volks used Super Dollfie/Mini SD for their resin dolls but I think most people use SD/MSD for every ABJD, cause it's easy.

We could call the 60cm Cerberus Project dolls "Delf" or whatever the companies use to call their doll types, but that would...I think be to difficult to remember, I don't even use the term ABJD >_>

So just call them whatever you want...as long as it's not Big Barbie XDD

Sabriell

14. Yeah. I think it's probably less of a problem of calling non Volks dolls dollfie, and more of that the only thing that can be referred to as just "dollfie" (with out a "Super" or "MiniSuper") is Volks 1/6 figures/kits.
      But to answer your question, no I wouldn't be offended. It's the same thing as calling all tissue "Kleenex" or all bandages "band-aids". Some people are more touchy about that stuff than others.

15. Well 3 of my boys are Volks Dolls, and to tell you the truth when I first got into BJDs They were all Dollfie to me, no matter what company they came from. Most of my friends and family (thanks to me in the begining) not in the hobby call them Dollfie. But I don't get offended either way. call them anything you want just don't call them Ugly:evil: That's the one thing that will offend me. Though Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, my Kids are GORGEOUS DARN IT!!!!!:evil: lol... I don't think there is anything wrong with calling BJDs Dollfie. To me it's the same thing. But that's only my humble opinion.
      -Anthony

16. I think if you're just trying to use a blanket term when talking to non-doll people "Dollfie" can be a decent catch-all word. It's better than watching your friend's eyes glaze over as you try to tell them about all the different companies and how they each have a different name for their BJDs, etc. They'll loose interest before you have a chance to shake your awesome doll in their face. That's the best part! Though I tend to just call them BJDs.

On the forum, we all know or are trying to learn the proper terms so I like to be specific. Somebody new might think Volks makes Yder if you refer to them all as Dollfies, when really Yder is a Delf. Certainly, the different companies would prefer for their doll names to be used appropriately. I doubt they all want Volks getting word of mouth credit for all Ball Jointed Dolls in the world.;) Think also of the common misperception that Tensiya makes the Dollshe Boys, or that Luts makes Cerberus Project dolls, when really they are retailers for them.

Personally, I only call my Volks dolls Dollfies. Most commonly I call them all by their given names unless someone is asking about the hobby and it's intricacies.

17. And I used to wonder if it's the other way round. Like, Volks fans would get offended if you call a DoD doll a dollfie.

But yeah, I use the blanket term too. Makes life way easier.

18. I went to a con with Tristan, and several people came running up yelling "Dollfie! Dollfie!" but then they did ask what kind he was, so I could tell them he was an Obitsu. (And one dealer had me repeat this enough to her over the week-end I think she's getting one :))

19. I use the word "dollfie" when discussing dolls to non-doll people just to make it easier, but when I'm talking to doll people then I will use the proper make and model name because they know what I'm talking about.

I only use it as a blanket term when talking to non-doll people.

Or eBay.

20. I use the word "dolls", and people will be like, "Oh, you mean like dollfies?" I'll be "Uh yeah. But I don't buy Volks dolls." And they'll shock me with, "What's Volks?" Ai caramba. *_*

I do get annoyed when people run up to me shrieking, "Dollfie!!" and promptly proceed to gush about Volks and everything, then look at me blankly when I tell people that he's a DoC and NOT a Volks, and they'll say, "But still a Dollfie right?" We hardly refer to things by a "blanket term" in my house; we're always very specific about the brand of the particular object we want. That's why I never use Dollfie - always "dolls". :)