1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollita!

Aug 21, 2010

1. So, here I am with my never ending questions. My mind started to paw this over while I was browsing through the galleries. :sweat Now, we see a lot of goth fashion, a lot of fantasy, a lot of horror themes(all of which I am guilty of, teehee), but I never seem to see much lolita(true lolita, not maid outfits and miniskirts). So here are a couple of questions for ya'z.

How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      And if you do, do you ever wear lolita yourself?
      Do you dress your doll and yourself in matching lolita oufits?

As for me, I only have boys, but I do dress them in Aristocrat or Kodona. I also wear lolita myself, but I only wear it on weekends(or I wear casual during the week). I also do force my boys to coordinate with me sometimes, but only to meets or conventions~

I'm looking forward to readin your input~ :aheartbea

2. First of all, let me say that I have studied a lot about the lolita style but don't dress my dolls in it, nor do I wear it. I have made things for my dolls that strictly fit the lolita guidelines before, but those were for specific costumes or events generally. I don't have any of my dolls wear it normally.

I think a problem with what you're asking is that you're going to get a LOT of people saying "Yeah I dress my doll lolita!" when it's bare arms and fluffy miniskirts. People get a vague idea of a concept and think they know what it really is, and emulate it (incorrectly) while thinking they're right on it. It's not something new to certain fashion styles, either, it just happens. Human nature I guess? (Bit OT, but how many times have you heard of a person taking one semester of a class like psychology or philosophy and suddenly going around telling everyone about it?)

Also: I've actually seen quite a bit of true lolita in the galleries-some incredible examples being the Baby The Stars Shine Bright outfits made for Volks dolls, but there are other places to buy true lolita, and many people make it. There's also a really nifty guide to lolita clothing in the Sewing subforum.

3. I understand what you're saying. With the lolita fashion being as varied as it is, plenty of people are going to read one article about it and then assume they know exactly what they are doing. I still would like to read through whatever replies I get, I guess I just like seeing what comes up.
      I probably missed all of the pictures in the galleris, I usually only go back about 5 or 6 pages, but maybe with a little searching I come up with something. ^^'

4. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      My Pipos Demon, despite being a boy, has a lolita style dress... also If I were ever to make a doll of my character Jun, he would definately be wearing lolita dresses XD

N-no... My style is more defined as hipster >_>;; /cough

Noooo cuz I don't wear lolita stuff. But I would so get matching outfits of other kinds :D

5. Interestingly, I think the galleries are flooded with lolita, or lolita inspired dolls/outfits, and the marketplace was so full of fluffy lolita-like dresses when I last checked that I had to give up searching for a normal non-lolita dress....

Of course I only have a vague image about lolita, I must mistake many things that are not actually "true" lolita to being the real deal. But still...the amount of times I've seen discussions/gallery threads/etc. about lolita (many times people proudly stating that "this is not just "fluff and miniskirt"")...I think it's one of the most consistently popular trends among girl dollies.

I myself only have boys (except for a head), so no lolita for me. But I doubt I would dress any of my future girls into lolita :sweat

6. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?

I agree with you that it's difficult to find alot of true lolita in the galleries that actually look, well, well done. As you mentioned there is alot of OTT ruffly cosplay-ish peices that can be a bit embarassing at times. And the nicer peices are usually part of an expensive LE set.

To answer, I don't outright cross-dress any of my boys so none of them will wear lolita, and when my single female arrives she will be dressed in a more aristocrat-froo froo style, but still not outright lolita (well, perhaps, I do think she would look lovely in some more mature, elegant lolita pieces). However, my incoming doll right now, Prince, only wears strictly Boystyle/Kodona outfits, so in that essence he could be referred to as dressing in lolita. However, true boystyle seems even more difficult to find than regular lolita so I have the feeling he'll be dresses in some simple outfits for awhile before I can comission him something more true to his character.

I currently do not, mostly out of monetary means (these little resin babes are still higher up on my hobby list ;) ), though I am a part of a handful of lolita communities.

As Prince dresses strictly in white and I consider myself more of a gothic and classic lolita, I don't think we'd ever have any sort of matching outfits. Even so, I'm not much of a fan of matching outfits to begin with (though I think complimenting outfits is pretty cute). Though as I'm not the type to take my dolls out anywhere other than to a meet-up or an occasional doll convention/show, I'm pretty sure it's not like alot of people would notice anyway :)

7. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      I do! I have most of the BTSSB collaboration outfits and am hoping to grab the gingham print outfit that was released with Lieselotte (and previously Kira).

I do. My favorite brand is Alice and the Pirates. However, I'm also into steampunk and gothic fashions so I don't always get the chance to do so.

Yes. I got lucky and found the AATP pirate blouse on YJA for a really great price that matches the one released by Volks.

I see a lot of people attempt to dress their dolls in "lolita" but what I am seeing is a different style from Japan, be it decora or Japanese style gothic. It is very rare that I find anything in the galleries that can be considered lolita or remotely close.

It can be confusing, though, as the street shots in some magazines will show various Japanese fashions in a single issue. Lolita is usually about modesty-no bare shoulders, knee high socks, skirts and dresses to the knees, and headdress of some sort. There have been a few exceptions to the rules, such as when Angelic Pretty released their miniskirt last year. Even experienced lolitas can have a bit of difficulty getting the look right as its a bit complicated.

In Japan its much more popular to dress dolls in this fashion than it is here. If you look at pictures of the Dealers Hall at a Dolpa or other doll event in Japan, there are so many beautiful lolita clothes for sale it makes my wallet cringe.

8. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      I only have boys, so none of my doll wear lolita xD
      if i had girls, i would probably make them wear lolita dress sometimes. i like puffy dresses :D

as much as i think this kind of dress i nice, i DONT EVER wear dress. i'd be more kodona/dandy kind :3

i probably would'nt. i dont really like matching my outfits with my dolls unless maybe for a cosplay (ex: in chobits, there is sumomo who is super small. this kind of costume would be perfect for a doll so i'd dress up as another chobits caracter to fit :3 )

9. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?

I certainly do, it just seems... most appropiate for dolls. Seeing beautiful resin girls dressed in ol' regular jeans and loose fitting sweaters always makes me a little sad. But maybe I'm just a bit oversensitive.

Most of the time. Well, maybe not for art classes or hiking. But I enjoy this style and it's ideology very much and always try to incorporate the cute elements into my outfits. Be it bows, pink, bloomers or little pony hairpins.

Never done it before, but I intend to. When I get my Annabelle, I'm gonna sew her a twin outfit, only in white (I wear mostly black). And parade with her across the town.

10. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      I dress my dolls in... well, frilly stuff. I'm sure technically some of it is lolita and some of it is not, but for the most part my dolls tend to wear frilly knee-length skirts and bloomers and loads of ruffles. I'm not particularly interested in the technicalities of lolita fashion or in the lolita "lifestyle" so I'm not real fussed about whether or not their outfits are "right". I just do what I think looks good.

Nope. Never have. Never will. IMO it'd look horrid on me (that style of clothing makes me look about 20 feet wide, thx).

No, I'd look terrible in the stuff I dress my dolls in.

11. chibaraki- Aww, I'm sure there's be a style that suits you~

Thanks guys for all the responses!

12. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?

I have one doll that I usually dress in lolita and a couple that I sometimes dress in lolita. The ones that don't wear lolita often wear styles that are somewhat similar or related since that kind of thing appeals to my personal aesthetic. :) I do find it a little bit difficult to find lolita outfits for dolls that are "just right", a lot of the ones I see have designs that are a bit off, have odd fabric choices, use tacky lace, etc. But I think most BJD folks would think I'm crazy if I say I have a hard time finding nice lolita dresses for dolls, since there's so much out there. XD;

Yep, I've been wearing lolita longer than I've had BJDs. XD; It's been mostly sweet lolita but lately I've been taking more of an interest in gothic and kuro, and perhaps even classic. Lolita and BJDs are my two major hobbies, so I suppose it makes sense that I'd combine them to a degree. :)

I don't have any strictly matching outfits so far, though I'm thinking of having a custom dress made for Hazel to match one of my own. I do usually wear lolita to doll meets and sometimes I colour-coordinate with my dolls, sometimes not. I would love it if I could find some webshops that offer both human and doll outfits that match (aside from Milky Ange, whose outfits are generally a bit over-stylized for me and also a bit expensive)! Or if Baby the Stars Shine Bright released some MSD outfits separately! :D

13. I have one doll that does dress in lolita or lolita-esque stuff, but I'm most interested in dressing her so that I think she looks good rather than strictly following a lot of rules. Not that following rules is always a bad thing, but I have more fun being a little more relaxed about it rather than constantly worrying if I have everything right or if other people will approve or not.

As to the other questions -- though I like the style, I don't wear it myself. I really wouldn't have many opportunities to wear clothing of that sort, and the last thing I need at the moment is another expensive hobby. I'm better off having fun dressing my doll.

14. I don't have any lolita outfits for any of my dolls nor do I myself dress lolita. I personally find the whole lolita crowd to be SUPER upiddy and find tons and tons of sales threads, sewing threads, gallery threads and the like where someone says 'look at my lolly!' and then they get tottally bashed by all sorts of people who are like "you're an idiot do some research that's not lolita"

Perhaps if the lolita crowd wasn't so jumpy, I'd be interested in owning a lolita TYPE of doll outfit, because I think they are pretty. And I might be being unfair, I saw something similar happen in a thread about 'fruits' fashion.

Seriously thou, if everyone would just take a chill pill, I think fashions like lolita could be fun for everyone.

EDIT Oh! And I wouldn't dress my dolls to match me, but I have thought a lot about outfits that coordinate ^_^

15. Yumiko looks just awesome in Shiro-loli.

[​IMG]
      Nice Amp by msgeek93, on Flickr

It's not Mitzi's style, though, nor is it Namiko's. And Z? Well, here's him in a Maido. You don't want to see him in Loli.

[​IMG]
      The Bar Bet, Page 2 by msgeek93, on Flickr

16. I have matching Dollheart lolita dresses for two of my dolls; one of them is red, and they other is black. I prefer classic lolita, but it just isn't practical to wear out, nor have I found a dress I really love. Usually I would rather buy a doll than a brand name lolita dress since dolls are more fun for me. However, I do have a dark green Innocent World skirt that I'll wear to give an outfit a hint of the style without completely embracing it.

17. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      My girl dresses in regular casual or dressy casual but may end up with a lolita dress or two for wearing to the anime cons or photoshoots.

I used to wear lolita, I had a seperate closet to house it from my regular clothes - mostly BtssB and Meta. I spent alot of time and money researching and following the stricter ideals of lolita and the lifestyle. I'm not into it anymore, even though that was just a few years ago.

If I ever did, it would be cosplay quality outfits and more like lolita inspired probably. I would only wear lolita-type things again if I was going to a comic or anime convention. I'm 23, I prefer to look my age, I have plenty of non-lolita but frilly girlish skirts I can wear.

I have nothing against girls my age wearing lolita if they want to, I just started to feel like an old woman wearing clothing that is far too child-like for my looks/personality.

18. I love the more elegant lolita style. I don't have any girls yet, but today I made my first lacy cravat, and I look forward to making more of them, and maybe putting together a nice Aristocrat look for Vince (he's very fashion-flexible, so I almost never have to worry about something being 'not his style'!).

I don't dress out myself (I barely dress out for anything, I'm too cheap/lazy!), though someday I might, probably going to the far end of things in terms of Victoriana... I have a little fluffy crinoline-esque skirt that could be incorporated. The more elegant lolita dress code I like, because I tend to really cover myself up, but I also avoid pinks and girlish things, so it would be the more muted, grown-up side of lolita. (plus, I LOVE frilly little hats!)

I think if I made an Aristocrat outfit for my boy, it might inspire me to actually put together a full look for myself. I might only wear it once for a tea party and pictures, but it's something.

=^__^=
      Anneko

20. How many of us dress our dolls in lolita style?
      When I get mine I will. I'm already thinking of outfits :p

Yes to when I go to cons. Because of the lolita style I got into bjds. I love dresses and have always wanted to be more girly but have always cared about what others might think of me but now I don't.

They will when I get them, poor things their going to be so embarrassed matching me.