1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollphobia?

Aug 24, 2016

1. My Cousin collected these creepy clown dolls and she had a lot of them. When I was young I had to sleep in her room one night by myself. They already had a creepy old house that was scary enough on its own, complete with stories of "things" that lived in the crawl space. The dolls just finished me off!! Needless to say that I didn't get much sleep that night. Today, all my dolls are in my room and I find them very comforting when I am trying to fall asleep. My Dreamhigh Studio Filia the sprite glows in the dark so I can see him across the room. My kids say they are a bit creepy because they feel like they are being stared at, but my husband doesn't mind them at all. I still find clowns a bit creepy, but I do like the Harlequin style ones.

2. Not really. When I was young (under 10) I was gifted a porcelain doll in a white tutu (I was really into ballerinas at the time) and even though she couldn't do much but stand there, I really liked her because she looked like me. I also had an older porcelain doll that I don't even know where she came from, but she made me think of my mom, so I liked her too. Then when I was a little older I really liked the American Girl books, and I remember there was one Christmas story with Samantha where she receives a doll and I LOVED it. Not long after I received my own doll, just like Samantha, with big ringlets and a green dress.

Dolls like Barbie and other fashion or baby dolls never bothered me either because they were just so "toy" like. I didn't like scary movies (still don't), so I never watched things like Chucky, and I thought the concept of being scared of a killer doll was stupid.

Of course there are some dolls that are intentionally made to look creepy, and I don't like those. I don't like grotesque or horror-themed anything, so I prefer not to have those types of dolls. But you're general, run of the mill porcelain or fashion dolls? Usually good for me.

3. Yes and no. Clown dolls always freaked me out, like pierrot dolls sometimes freaked me out, but other than that no. I had a lot of porcelain dolls growing up and barbies. Then I started collecting BJD's and went on to also collect antique and traditional Japanese dolls. I've always kinda been in love with dolls so long as they didn't have a clown aesthetic to them. It's funny cause my girlfriend's mom asked if I was scared of dolls because the room I stay in when I'm at her house is her doll room because her mom collects antique German dolls and I was like oh no I love dolls! While her other daughters find them so creepy.

4. I was never afraid of dolls as a whole, mostly because my mom also loves dolls (she collects Barbies), but there were a few dolls I had growing up that I was terrified of. Like I had one of those "life size" dolls they used to sell at Walmart, and as soon as night fell I as horrified that she would come to life and kill me or something :sweat

5. My mom used to collect porcelain dolls which started to creep me out as I got a little older. The thing that clinched it was this tiny one (somewhere between MSD and yoSD). I had a refurbished china cabinet in my room that I used as a dresser/storage. The upper cabinets had windows in them and I had this gorgeous little pink lamp that I loved and used as a night light. My mom put this little doll right in front of the lamp so at night, if I used my night light, there was just this black shape of a doll standing in the glass... staring at me... I couldn't see it's eyes but I always felt like it was staring at me. After a couple nights I laid the doll down in the cabinet so she couldn't be seen over the window frame.

6. Generally, no, I loved a lot of dolls growing up, actually. I do recall being afraid of my mom's pierrot dolls though and also the old vintage baby dolls she had that opened and closed their eyes whenever you tilted them one way or another. I remember getting one of those from her and another from one of her friends, and I was so afraid of those dolls that I hid them away in my closet behind some boxes so I didn't have to see them. ^^;

7. Not really, though I was never really that fond of dolls. I didn't care to play with them- I was more into stuffed animals and My Little Pony (still am, tbh). I do remember seeing some harlequin style clown dolls and marionettes that belonged to a friend of my mom and thinking they were creepy. But as far a owning dolls that I was afraid of, nope.

8. Well, kind of. I can definitely see the creepy factor in them but that makes me like them more because to me it's creepy in a fun way, like Halloween. And it's pretty funny to watch people be legitimately creeped out by them.
      Even as a little kid I would purposefully scare other kids with my American Girl doll. It's funny though- I never found her creepy at all till I had friends say she was. After that I ran with it :XD:

9. I've been afraid of one doll only. I was in a weird mood one day, I was by myself, and a young child, and I left my doll in the hallway and came upon her unexpectedly. Ever after that, she kind of scared me. But generally, no. I've always loved dolls.

10. Not in real life. The only doll or figure that creeped me out was one from Trilogy of Terror (had to look it up but I remember this episode so vividly). As cheesy 70s as this is...this is the only doll (figure/statue) that freaks me out. I grew up with a 1/2 scale sized doll that had blinking eyes but she never freaked me out...at the same time I respected her and never mistreated her (maybe out of fear) but that dang tv movie...brrrrrrrrr.

11. Porcelain dolls really creep me out due to two factors: 1) the discrepancy between the relative immaturity of the body versus the face, or vice versa, and 2) the depth of the eyewells/sockets and how this makes their eyes look shadowed and dead. The baby mouth and buck teeth really don't help much.

I guess BJDs have really never really had those qualities for me. I can't really handle Goodreau, because they have that look. Older Iplehouse JIDs kind of do it to a lesser degree, with the mature bodies and immature faces.

12. Yes, when I was a kid I was afraid of those American girl dolls or any big dolls. I would cry if someone left me in a room alone with them.:...( I actually never liked dolls but the ones I could stand were barbies and enjoyed throwing around and cutting all their hair off.

13. I always love dolls, since my childhood if anyone ask me what I want to receive I will say dolls! My favorite hobby was playing with my dolls and I do it until now.

14. i dont feel much for dolls before, i just found dolls super expensive and dont understand why people will spent so much on toys... and now i am one of them hahah

15. I'm a doll hoarder and lover, but my boyfriend is really scared of them, and I don't know how to deal with it... I have to lock them up in another room when he visits, or put something on them, because he can't stand to see them. I would also love to talk to him about my upcoming projects (just like he talks to me about things he does I don't always have interest in), but it's not possible :'(
      It breaks my heart to have to hide them </3

16. I used to always love dolls, even making my mom take me to stores to look at some expensive ones. But I was terrified of this one doll my grandmother owned because it looked so lifeless, but the eyes were so vivid. It used to live on top of my shelf after she passed but I got too scared and she went to live in my closet. A few years later I ended up customizing her to my own liking (Just hair style and clothes) and I ended up loving her! I think that's the first spark I felt for this hobby, honestly.

17. i used to be absolutely terrified of mannequins and irked by those old dolls... i once went to stay at a friends house and her mother collects old dolls and has them EVERYWHERE, and i could not sleep in the "old porcelain doll room"... felt like a little baby when i had to change rooms.
      i still find those antique dolls slightly creepy, but bjds are quite different for obvious reasons. bjds look more like mannequins in my opinion, so im glad im not still scared of those!

18. No, even the horror movies about dolls never really seemed scary to me. I never was interested in dolls at all aside from creating big adventures with them, but I normally used other toys. They never seemed scary, but they never seemed interesting either.

19. I belived that dolls are alive and party every night until my 15th birthday)))
      I was convinced that they only pretend, when I came into the room.I even got up in the night to surprise them!

My plan was insidious: I go in, and they don't have time to take a position. I was amazed by the speed of their reaction and had some versions about. Perhaps they possessed special powers - super-speed (like vampires) and excellent hearing. I was ready to believe that a little nimble scout had duty every night near my bed - to warn fellows.

I never was afraid of dolls, I believed magic and secretive creatures was very friendly. I really wanted to get into their "Masonic" society, but I thought I am alien for them. I rather thought that the dolls scared of me, because I guess about their secret.

[​IMG]Яндекс.Навигатор может вести вас по маршруту в фоновом режиме (0+)

#39 TwistedTwin, Jun 2, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    20. I think we've all been afraid of dolls at some point. The uncanny valley and all that jazz. Obviously, I'm not as scared of dolls as I used to be, but to be honest, some of them still make me uncomfortable even today. Most of them are baby-like dolls, like the porcelain ones. I also don't like dolls with a spiritual background, like the black eyed japanese dolls. I feel like they're judging me...