1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollphobia?

Aug 24, 2016

1. I've never been afraid or creeped out by dolls (though there are some I just don't like because of how they look, they don't scare me). I still have all of my Barbies and baby dolls and porcelain dolls that I had growing up. My oldest niece, however, is seriously creeped out by dolls. She's 21 now and still can't look at my three porcelain girls. When I told her I had finally ordered my first bjd, she visibly shuddered. Oh, and much to my family's chagrin, the Child's Play movies are my absolute favorite in the horror/gore genre :XD:

2. CLown dolls freak me out too. even the test card that was on tv in the 70 had me behind the sofa quicker than Dr Who. For some reason the black line that myou seem to put in the mouths of their dolls creeps me out big time, can't even say why. I can remember drawing something similar on a doll as a kid, so maybe I got punished and thats a burried memory not sure but for some reason it makes otherwise stunning dolls feel sinister. Thankfully someone said I can request myou not put the black line in the dolls I've ordered PHEW

3. Dolls never scared me, and ive had a lot over the years even a porcelain one as a child that I LOVED. I did see a show (i think it was unsolved mystries) episode with a haunted raggedy anne doll..which because of my love of horror I know that is the doll that inspired "Annabelle". I was scared of my raggedy anne doll for years after that episode and hid her in the closet.

My mom watched a lot of paranormal/true crime stuff like that when I was a kid. Horror movies too, I saw chucky and puppet master and was never scared, but that raggedy anne. ugh. still creepy, even more so now that I know the full history.

My dolls and most other dolls still dont bug me, even the vintage ones that are falling apart like my aunt collected.

4. I always felt drawn to old dolls, the ones that are broken or dirty, but at the same time they made me a bit unnerved? Like I wasn't sure I should get closer to them or not. But other than that I never had any fear of dolls!

5. As you grow up you would learn that humans are scarier than dolls. Especially your boss and colleagues.

6. My partner has/had a dollphobia, which made the first couple years of our relationship...interesting. Mainly because I’ve been a doll collector my entire life, as has my mom, so it was simply something I wasn’t able to just “give up”! But then she found vinyl dolls like Dollfie Dreams and has fallen head over heels into the hobby. She still doesn’t like a lot of the resin dolls, but I’m hoping she comes around. :3nodding:

7. I hated dolls as a kid, and refused all sorts of babies and baby dolls. My best friend growing up had porcelain dolls at the top of her wardrobe and I was seriously creeper out by them. I got into the bjd hobby through anime and Lolita fashion and fell in love with bjds from there, but still don't like porcelain dolls

8. I love dolls and even I think porcelain dolls can be seriously creepy @Ano-Nimmy. :XD: Especially the really old-fashioned ones. The only doll my dollphobic partner ever had growing up was this really massive spooky one in a giant hoop skirt. She was told to never open the box, which without explanation sounds like it’ll unleash an evil spirit.

9. I guess I still partly have it. I certainly couldn't live with or own any porcelain ones with curly hairs and dusted, satin dresses.
      Yesterday I was sewing and one of my bjds had to have her head taken of so as not to scratch it when taking the measurements etc. It looked so creepy I had to turn my head away when faling asleep. I like the dolls, but sometimes they creep me out abit enough so that I don't need any other. Apart from this, I've always been into dolls anyway. I never really "grew out" of them.

10. To be honest... I am still a bit creeped out by dolls of a certain kind. I will never forget when I visited an old lady at home (I am a nurse) and the complete house was full of dolls (the child-like ones). They were everywhere, on every table, shelf, chair, sofa etc... and in her bedroom there were about 30 hanging from the ceiling... like someone had executed them (I believe she just had no more space tonstore them). I was so creeped out that I get goosebumps by even thinking about it...

11. I was only scared of a doll once, when I woke up one morning after leaving my dolls from the night before right where I'd been playing with them, and all I did was open my eyes and one of them fell over. It looked like she was in a running pose and I was like, 'Eek! That doll is alive and she was running and I woke up and caught her!' LOL!!! But I was very little and even then I knew better than that.

I had a roommate one time who was afraid of Furbies. She got very upset when I bought one and I felt so bad I got rid of it.

12. Lol I hate Furbies. They're just so unnerving and creepy to me, especially when they randomly turn on at night (from experience at a sleepover). I have to say though that porcelain dolls freak me out the most. I own one since it was a gift but she is on a shelf when she can't see me/I can't see her at night. Every time I go to clean the shelf I try to be as gentle with her as possible... :sweat