1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls based off/in tribute to loved ones who have passed away?

May 3, 2012

1. That actually sounds like a beautiful idea to me. Not try to make a copy of the person, but features and stuff that remind you of the person. An example that comes to mind is that my sister absolutely loves big eyes and white, neither of which she has. If I were to base a doll off of her I would give them those features.

This is an interesting concept.

2. I don't know if I ever would do that with a person--maybe with a pet (I know some people who have made things out of an animal's fur when it passes), but I don't think I'd be able to handle a doll itself--especially ones that are more realistic. Regardless, I don't think it's bad and for some people, it'd probably be a nice thing to do for that family member, but I think it'd make me more upset over making me remember them personally.

3. 'Ebony Rain' I have never based a BJD off a loved one who died. Sorry not much help

4. I don't know. I think I would if it would help me with processing the lost of a dear one, but on the other hand I would be reminded of that person every time I look at that doll. Maybe I would give the doll, for example, hobbies which the lost one had. I can't say for sure, I haven't experienced that someone close passed away.

I maybe would, like Anneke said, get a doll inspired by my cat, if she dies. Animals are a bit different than Humans. :S

5. I'm actually very happy that every time I look at Naiomi I am reminded of my grandmother. I think she would love my DD. She passed away when she was in her 60s and I was a preteen, but every time I talked with her she seemed to understand me at my age level and rarely acted like most adults. Looking back on it now she really had the personality of a young girl who was in an old body. My great grandmother once said that she was an 18 year old stuck in a 90 year old body. At least I come by it honestly. ;) Grandma Ohmie always loved to hear me talk about what I was doing or about the stories I was reading or writing. Naoimi reminds me that my grandmother loved me for who I was, not the adult everyone else kept waiting for me to be.

[​IMG]
      Naiomi by Sister Kyoya, on Flickr

I can't think of a better way to hold all of those memories with me everyday, having them be an active part of my existence rather than stashed away at the back of my mind where I never remember them.

~Sister Kyoya

6. I have created a doll family that, since I've got them living in the late 30s, early 1940s, are sort of my parents' age. Kind. of. The dolls are a bit of a mashup of my mom's family and my dad's parents' family, with some French-Canadian tossed in as a tribute to one of my family's other branches. I suppose one creates based upon what one knows. I wouldn't be inclined to create a doll personality on a single person, since that would creep me out, and I'd prefer to remember my parents and grandparents without the overlay of a created personality.

7. It's not really a thing I would do, but I love hearing the tales here of dolls inspired by loved ones.

I see nothing at all wrong with it. And I don't think it's that sad. People name kids for ancestors and beloved relatives and they aren't sad about that. It's a tribute. And something to remember those who have passed. And memories should be nice as well as a bit sad... not all sad! So having a doll shouldn't be all just sad memories, but lots of nice, fun, good memories, too.

I think tribute dolls are lovely, actually, even though I haven't done one myself. I can see how it might happen. I have fond memories of a siamese cat, so they are attractive to me. I haven't ever got a siamese anthro... but I know if I did, I would be reminded of the cat who passed and would probably try and do some little thing as a tribute... give a name or have a bit of the personality for the doll.

8. I would never do it myself (I like to remember lost loved ones by... remembering them :sweat), but I wouldn't judge anyone who did do it. It's not that bizarre - we just all cope with death in our own private ways.

9. I, myself, find it kinda creepy. A little like getting the deceased person's ashes turned into a diamond you can wear. To me: creepy.

However, if it comforts you, go for it.

10. I had a toy poodle named Twinkie from the time I was 11 until 30. Twinkie died from old age at the super senior age of 19. It was really tough on me because not only had Twinkie bonded closest with me but for 19 years he had slept in my bed just about every night and in his old age I cared A LOT for him. He had become partly deaf and blind. His teeth had fallen out so I would grind his food up. He had arthritis and doggy dementia towards the end. He was my little furry old man :) Even in his old age he still looked like a puppy. I had to make the tough choice to put him down after he stopped eating and drinking water and was starting to wheeze. I couldn't stand to watch him die slowly from starvation or dehydration. I have lost dogs and cats and fish in the past and I had loved them all. I remember grieving especially hard after my miniature poodle died at almost 12 but this was on a whole new level of grief. Twinkie was like my furry child. After nearly a year of him having been gone I bought a Luts zuzu delf Frise. I had seen the other Frise dolls by Luts but this one in particular was blushed with brown just like my Twinkie. So after debating back on forth on whether or not I should buy, I did and I named my little doll, of course, Twinkie after my real Twinkie. So my question is, have you ever bought a doll in memory of a loved one? Perhaps a loved one you lost? Does having this doll help you grieve?

Here's some pics for you to compare... Twinkie looked just like this doll as a puppy. The resemblance was uncanny I feel. And here's another pic of him at 17. Unbelievable he was 17 in that pic. He really didn't start showing his age until the last 2 years.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Yumeko1/IMG_2737_zps2f52b1ba.jpg
      http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/Yumeko1/Twinkie_Wallpaper_by_Yumeko82_zps87918e5c.jpg
      http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...36480234_100000347861089_431143_7186899_o.jpg

11. I understand completely where you are coming from. I think being able to find a doll that looks like your beloved family pet is wonderful. A few years ago, my Siamese unexpectedly passed away, and my husband and I were (and still are) devastated. I had done a photostory with him and one of my Pipos dolls - and now I will keep that doll forever, because he reminds me of Samson.
      [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here is the photostory if you are interested:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...aha-and-my-cat-Samson)&highlight=pipos+samson

12. Both your pets are beautiful.

I have one doll (Soom Dia) Called Jonhboy, he is named after a friend who sadly committed suicide. He will never leave me as he means a lot. My bunny Gir Died a couple of weeks ago and she was there through some tough times, I am getting a doll to commemorate her to. I think its a good way to show your love for loved ones.

13. Very cute story Justkatie179. Your cat was very pretty :) I agree MissKittyTwisted. At first I thought other people would think I was weird. I thought they might misinterpret the doll as a replacement but it wasn't for me. I still miss my dog and cry sometimes when I think about him. Coincidentally, I happen to pass by the vet's office where he was put down on my way to work every morning. Most times I try to just look away but usually I know that building is coming up and when I see it my mind is flooded with the memory of that office, how unsure I was about if I was doing the right thing for him or not, and then finally being asked to leave out the side door with him in a blanket as I chose to bury him at home under my favorite tree, a lilac. And sadly I remember how unsure I was that he was even dead. For days I worried that maybe he wasn't really dead and that he was buried alive and that he would be so scared. I know now that I did the right thing for him and that my worries were irrational because I loved him and I was so comfortable with him being around that I couldn't believe he was gone. The doll, as I said, isn't a replacement but something positive to remember him by. The lilac is my favorite tree and the doll is another positive thing I associate with the memory of my dog. I try to think of those things instead of the sad stuff. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Suicide is a very sad thing. I teach and at the end of the school year a student had committed suicide. It was very sad because she had so much going for her. I'd love to see a picture of your doll. What kind of bunny doll are you thinking of getting?

14. Oh this is quite a sad thread and at the same time, sweet =< It's good that you're thinking more of the positive memories than the bad ones =)
      your doll and dog are really cute =)

15. When my mother died in 2005, I received the payout from the small life-insurance policy she'd purchased in 1948, when she started working. I wanted to do something special with that money, and Mom had enjoyed seeing my dolls -- so I bought my Dollshe Haute Hound and gave him Mom's father's name. Lyon will always be a little more precious to me than my other dolls, no doubt about it!

16. Well, my Elf El 06 was bought with the last gift my grandma gave me at Christmas in 2006. She died in January 2007, and with her gift of $500 and what my parents gave me, I was able to purchase him. He arrived like the day or the second day after she passed away. It took him just three days to arrived after Luts shipped him! He's going nowhere as I consider him my gift from her.

17. My first doll was bought for me last year by my husband the day after my dad died.
      She is a hybrid with an AOD body and an Impldoll Iris head she was second hand from Ebay. Before her I had never heard of Asian ball jointed dolls.
      She has a beautiful face and a very floppy body which drives me crazy but I would not part with her. Not purely because of my dad but for the compassion which my husband showed me. He is a man of few words and usually quite thoughtless (not in a nasty way he just lives in his own bubble) so this was a real statement for him. Each time I look at her I am reminded why she was bought for me, I have called her Charlie after my dad but also about how lucky I am to have my husband.

18. When my grandmother died (my last grandparent) I used the money she and my grandfather left me to buy my Volks Michele. Like others have said, I will never part with him now as he will always remind me of them.

19. My grandmother was also my last grandparent. My Mom's mom and dad died in 1991 and 1993, and my Dad's dad died in 1994, and his mom was 2007. Dad died in 2011, and in a way, my first doll is named after him.

20. I&#8217;ve thought about this before but I&#8217;m not quite sure as to just how I feel about it. I don&#8217;t quite think that the doll would be attached to the person or animal in any way but I&#8217;d always feel a little weird about it. Also, if it were made after a person then I would feel compelled to have to style them a very specific way and I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;d be able to &#8220;play&#8221; with the doll. I don&#8217;t think I&#8217;d be able to look at the doll and not feel a sense of loss.