1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls For Christmas

Dec 4, 2009

1. i am getting an iplehouse jid tania for xmas, and littlfee bisou girl and a asleep eidolon col for my birthday which happens to be the 27th....my husband knows how much these dolls mean to me...and after many headaches of trying to compile a list of things for xmas, my hubby just turned round and said (why don't you just have another doll?) bless him...my AE col has been paid for through some cash i had saved, and money for xmas and birthday from friends and family so you could say i saved for her.......so now i have 3 coming and i am soooo lucky 1 for xmas 2 for my birthday....my hubby has a psp from me this year and a few games...he desreves it because he works so hard, and he supports me 100% on anything i do....none of my friends i have known for years are into bjd's and it's hard because all of them just don't get it...but hey ho each to their own

2. Next time they ask you what you want, I'd be truthful and say, "The last time I told you what I wanted you refused to get it for me, so either just give me money or stop asking because I don't want anything."

Having said that, I don't have the "dolls for Christmas" problem as I simply buy all my own doll stuff. My family would probably get me some doll stuff if I asked but they wouldn't have the faintest what to get or where to shop so I'd end up picking it out myself anyway :)

3. I would never ask somebody for a doll for Christmas. In fact, I have a hard time asking for ANYTHING for Christmas, (I always feel like I'm being greedy lol). My husband, parents, family etc all know about and support my hobby, though they don't really 'get it', and jokingly say that they's love to get me 'doll stuff' but wouldn't know where to start, (it's the same with my personal clothes...they're all afraid to buy me anyting...not because I'm ungreatful when they do, just because my taste is very eccelctic).

But really...if someone asks you what you want and they reject your answer out of hand because THEY don't like it...well, that's not very much in the spirit of giving or of Christmas, is it? Maybe they should be reminded-in a nice way-of that.

4. My first doll is actually my Christmas/Birthday present from my husband (he was nice and let me open her early). I know I am quite lucky that he supports the hobby... he actually would like his own BJD someday. However, I would never ask anyone else in my family for a doll or accessories, simply because 1) I would feel greedy 2) they would think I'm crazy or 3) they honestly don't know where to find said goodies.

When my in-laws asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I asked them for a Visa Gift Card. They asked my husband why I wanted "money" (they weren't upset but prefer "physical" presents), and he told them I was saving for something. I told myself if they ask me what I'm saving for, I'm going to respond "Pieces of Art" or something along those lines.

5. Guess I'm the odd one out, but then again I am a spoiled little rich girl, and I know it. *cue guilt!*

The one doll I own, I received as a Christmas gift last year. Granted, I was close to graduating form high school, which for me was kind of a struggle, so I think my parents wanted to spoil me some. I also got her secondhand, and WAY below market value. Still expensive, but not bank-breaking.

My parents don't get it, but they're tolerant at least. I'm actually sending my doll to "visit" my Aunt as her Christmas gift this year, so perhaps it's a gift that keeps giving sort of thing?

6. well i have never received a christmas present ever..... yeah its the truth.. let alone a birthday present either... kinda sad. so i dont asked them anything because when i was young my father berly gaing any money to survive. so i never tell them anything dollie related

7. It is a tricky thing, I suppose, because they are so expensive, and what doll to choose is such a personal choice. I would never ask relatives outside of my house for dolly things, because of the expense and lest they think I am weird/childish. Now that I think about it though, I bet if my mother in law knew the extent of my interest, she would be on the look out for little furniture and props for them like she has done for the bears I make.

I have asked for dolls and doll things from my husband. I have a BJD data base and wishlist in the form of a word document on my computer desktop. I started it for myself, putting imbedded links to the items I like so I know where to find them when I get money. My husband bought me a Rosen Lied doll from the list for Christmas! I don't know which one because there were two on the list. Last year, he bought a little outfit for my doll (the only one I had at that time) and put it in my stocking. My sons wanted to get me something too and I am hoping they might get me a pair of shoes for my little Pukifee. My younger son is always looking through his old toys for things scaled like doll toys--tiny cars etc.

I guess I am lucky to have a family that understands my passions.

8. I don't really ask my family for doll stuff, but they do always give stuff that I would like. My parents like to give me clothes, but they always give the "kids" money for something that they can't find. I really can't complain about the gifts they give. And my hubbies family gives nice stuff to. But my hubbie gave me my dream doll for our anniversary/Christmas this year! He likes his Video games, and I like dolls, so we just tell each other what we like!

9. No do not need to ask for doll stuff or doll since I get them for myself for X'mas (or rather Doll Companies like to take their time and get them to me just in time for X'mas)

I do not expect people to understand my hobby. Nor ask any one to gift me with doll related stuff - since the stuff I like are all expensive and there is no reason why they should know the cost

10. I asked for shelves... for the dolls. It's as close as I dare to get. They know that's what they're for, and I'm notoriously hard to shop for, so they at least have an inkling of what would appeal.

My mother usually finds some bits and pieces that are doll-worthy in some form -- little drawer boxes and the likes -- that count, so they're not completely opposed, but it's more finds of opportunity than planning at work.

11. I guess I could count myself lucky as my immediate and extended family support and indulge my love of dolls. They don't think its odd or weird at all and they all know that BJD's are not toys for children but luxury items that adults collect.

Usually at Christmas my first cousins and my little brother will gift me with money so I could get dollie stuff since they have no clue about what to pick out and my fiance has gotten me more than several dolls for Christmas in the past. They'd all prefer if I got something I like then something I don't need or want.

12. This is my second dolly Christmas. Last year before bjds, it was a doll house and books. This year it is a doll, and dolly stuff. It is probably easier for me because we have always done wish lists and no "grown up" gifts unless specifically asked for. My husband and I got way too many "who did you buy this for?" gifts growing up. So we created a tradition that everyone gets something they really want-my husband and son get video games, I get doll stuff. (especially since the games and video system were more than my doll and dolly stuff.:)) For something as specific as a doll (or out of print books) I order what I want, my husband and son wrap it when it comes in. It is all good.:D

13. Never asked for a doll for christmas with the exception of my latest. My Nana struggled to find anything I would like/need so approached me and offered to buy a doll. I showed her the prices and told her to stop being ridiculous, and instead suggested she could help me buy a Sadol outfit that I had been eye-ing up. She didnt like that idea though since she said she felt it was more a present for THEM instead of me! So in the end she gave me the money and I put it towards my new Shiwoo ^_^

14. I have a sort of Mix in my family when it comes to dolly Christmas items. On one hand.... A Doll really is an expensive item to ask for... Not something you'd ask for from just anyone unless they offered 'something really big!' My parents have always bought my brother and I fairly large christmas presents, that or something in abundance...then smaller less expensive presents for birthdays. Seems backwards, but I guess when we were little on christmas we can BOTH get big expensive presentsand be happy.... but on brithdays one child would end up jealous? AAAnyways. I already have my Christmas Present from my parents this year. Got him in September! I probably could have waited and gotten one of theother dolls I want from the companies for Xmas and had it under the tree, but instead I got a second hand Heliot. Pretty much while I was discussing the price with the Seller and whethere I was interested, I talked to my Mum told her this was what I wanted for christmas, it was less expensive then my last years present, and that Heliot would be my Only present. Et Voila! He now sits in a box in my room...I try a faceupt every so often, and at christmas he'll sit under the tree with nary but a bow round his middle.

On the other hand, wen my brother asked what I wanted I gave him a list....we always do that. He looked at it, went through all the sights. Then phoned my Mum and asked for other suggestions on what to buy because he "drew the line" at buying creepy doll parts. (I asked for a wig for my Heliot, gave him the link to which one, and a Dollheart grab bag)

My Aunt on my Mums side said she would buy my 'creepy doll parts' but.... I doubt she will, her always being worried things won't arrive before christmas. Still, she was understanding in a way. Of course my Mum keeps explaining if someone knows about them 'they're art dolls...so she can pose and draw them and...stuff'

15. My entire family gave me money this year to purchase a SOOM Beyla second hand. None of them really approve, but they're learning to deal with it (but wait until they see her HOOVES!). This will be my first gift doll so she'll be extra special. :)

16. I can see not asking for a doll for Christmas because of the cost. However, she specifically said "something $100 or more" and the doll I want is a BBB Erin, $78. And she could just drive (or drive me) to DDE to pick it up (its in stock), so its not really a hassle with ordering or whatnot. She just thinks my doll is weird and I guess doesn't think I should have more.

Asking for cash is a good idea, except my husband and MIL won't give me cash. Same with gift cards. They think they're not "personal" enough.

I'm racking my brain trying to think of non-doll related stuff that I want, but I don't really want anything else. No games, no dvd's, no cd's.... I'm at a loss here. I'd be perfectly OK with not receiving anything for Christmas. My whole rant was "don't ask me what I want if you're going to brush me off." Why don't they get my hobby?

17. To avoid the 'OMG! It costs HOW much for doll clothes?!' remarks (and others like it), I've made it a habit to ask for money whenever my family members ask me what I want for Christmas.

If they'd rather buy an item for me, then I'll direct them towards the nearest doll item I want, but more often than not, they'd rather not go through the hassle and give me the money to get it myself. I guess I'm lucky to have family members who don't mind giving cash in place of presents :sweat

18. I wouldn't ask anyone for a doll, for one thing I don't think anyone would be insane enough to buy me one *is quite poor* :sweat

But my dad's girlfriend is awesome, nan had told them to buy me a warm coat for christmas (even thought I have a warm...ish one) and that day I showed them Devany for the first time (I'd kept them guessing about what my secret hobby was). As soon as it was just me, her and dad in the car she turned to me and said "so do you want doll stuff for Christmas?"

So I've been instructed to send them websites ^^ she gets excited about buying things haha :lol:

19. I do not ask for dolls or doll items from my family unless it is a book or something like that. My hubby does let me buy a doll for Xmas each year but it is not just my Xmas gift it is my Birthday, Valentines day, and Mothers Day gift as well. Dolls are really expensive so if that means I only get one a year as a gift that is pretty cool. Everything else I buy myself. I never tell anyone that is a non-doll person the cost. Not even my hubby. ( I do all the finances). I am asking for a gift card to the Volks USA site from my parents I doubt they will but I had to try. LOL

20. I think you will have to go with the ultimatum with them. What you want or nothing- Don't they realize that insisting on buying you something they like or approve of is MORE impersonal than giving you money for what you want? Like the song says "People are crazy." (My mother painted my bedroom pink and gave me a pink canopy bed set for my 16th birthday. I hate pink; I always have.)