1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls For Christmas

Dec 4, 2009

1. Christmas gifts in my house are pretty much just my husband and I buying stuff for each other. We each have a $400 limit and I made a specific list of all the stuff I want (because 100% of it is doll stuff...)

So the problem is that he wants his gifts to me to be thoughtful and be a surprise... but I would honestly rather have something on my list that I really want than a surprise that is great but I will still desire things on my list the day after Xmas.
      Almost everything I got him is a surprise but he is easier to shop for. He doesn't know all of the weird doll websites and how to order from them and what type of dresses my dolls prefer, he doesn't have time to learn all that! Which is why my list has links and specific directions but I guess that might seem really boring. :(

2. My parents gave me gave me a Christmas budget - $500. We've had a very good year XD I know it's one of the few years where I have the chance to get a Christmas present as big as that, so I asked if I could get my dream doll, a Supia Roda. Essentially I gave them all that I had saved up ($185, not that much) and they paid for the rest. Now I've got a bit of money left over and I'm going to be buying clothing.
      So I'm not afraid to ask my parents for doll-related presents.

But what to do with my first doll that I ever bought? We unfortunately didn't bond but I have high hopes for the Roda that will be replacing her. I think I'm going to give old-Kate (a Gena head + mature delf body) to a friend of mine. My friend doesn't have enough money to get a doll on her on and this way I would have another friend in the hobby. :)

3. Oh, that's really annoying! I'd go with what some other people said; "Get me the things I want or don't worry about it and don't get anything for me at all. I don't want anything else." But then, I can be pretty spiteful and petty =P .

I didn't plan on asking for anything doll-related from my parents, ever, because those things are too expensive for me to feel good asking for and because I know they would feel like they're wasting their money too (yeah, yeah, they're kind of the same problem *sigh* ^^; ) . But they're letting me buy the doll and stuff that I want with my own money.

But! There was this cute, but pricey outfit at DollHeart that I really wanted, along with a Fukubukuro bag. Stuff like the Fukubukuro I'm reeeaaally interested in because of the luck and the surprise value, but feel hesitant to get myself in case it's a dud. But I thought it was great to get as a gift for Christmas, because one of the nice things about Christmas is the surprise when opening stuff, right?! I have my cake and eat it too! The outfit was something I definitely loved and wanted for my doll.

Well, since I'm 'starting up' with my first doll right now, I want to buy a bit of everything for her and the numbers starting racking up ^^; . The DollHeart outfit and Fukubukuro costs about $160 together, and while showing my mom doll stuff today I asked if I could get doll clothes for Christmas. I have this huge problem of always trying to think of stuff I want for holidays/birthdays, but coming up with stuff too late. Doll stuff was the only thing I could think of~. She wasn't happy about it, and immediately said when she realized I was serious, "If that's what you're getting, that's the only thing you're getting for Christmas!" I was like 'Aww!' but after 5 seconds "Okay, I can live with that." XD

They definitely can't pick the stuff I want for me, so I showed them the pages EXACTLY. I don't think it spoils the fun of Christmas knowing what I'm getting, because the anticipation of waiting for Christmas to open them is also fun =P . AND THE FUKUBUKURO makes it a SURPRISE XD !

Along with all the stuff I'm buying myself for my doll, and buying my first actual doll, I'm looking really forward to Christmas this year~!

<3 ali

4. Keep at it hun and dont feel discouraged - its infectious... I used to care that people looked at me like I had 3 heads and 8 arms when I said I was saving to buy a doll... but 7 years later and my hubby gets excited for me when I get a new parcel and actually laughs his bum off watching my face and stupid dances around the living room - its better than Christmas for my family seeing my enthusiasm.

I asked for a doll for my birthday and my most beloved husband bought her for me and she so much more special because of that very reason - My mother owns several dolls I have cast and bought me a doll last year for my birthday... its a standard thing now for our families to all pitch in and help me out with a final payment or a deposit at least, on a doll I really want... without them it would be a lot longer periods between deliveries :)

5. I've gotten dolls before for Christmas but usually I have to pick them out & order them. One year though I got one that I really wanted as a total surprise. That was wonderful! And my friends & I always give each other doll things as we're all collectors.

6. I was lucky enough to be given a doll this year for Christmas, but I did all the ordering and he was delivered to me, so I'm not sure it really counts :) My parents gave him to me, and whilst they don't understand my hobby or the wish to own them, they get that it makes me happy and I guess that was enough.

Much as I'd love a surprise doll, tbh, I'm so painfully picky when it comes to the resins that it'd be incredibly hit or miss to just guess with my tastes, I'm sure it's the same for most people tbh.

7. Nope. The only reason I got Micah as a present was because I sat my mom down and picked out the doll together instead of just letting her run wild and free to get one she thought I might like (which she is quite liable to do, and has done with other things in the past. It's kind of a hit or miss scenario. D: )

Dolls are a pretty touchy thing, I've found, like the OP mentioned and has been mentioned a couple other times, they simply aren't understood by a lot of people and the price can be quite prohibitive when it comes to gift giving.

Besides, I always feel awkward telling a non-doll person what I want and then accidentally ending up with just a head or the wrong doll and them not knowing the difference because, of course, they don't know the ins and outs of the hobby so some things might slip through the cracks. Faceups, anyone? I had to explain to my mom why it was better to get the slightly more expensive one for the first doll instead of getting a blank one. Or the size, Companies have different ways of expressing sizes, which still confuses me sometimes, so to somebody who doesn't know which size goes to which doll, then you might end up with a well-wishing relative getting you an MSD suit for your Hound! D:

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

8. Nope, I would never ask for a doll. I prefer to save up the dolls for myself. To me it's a bit too expensive to ask for a doll as a present. And also I think it's more exciting when I earn it all myself. My mum doesn't really like bjds anyways >< I hope to get an instant camera instead :D My non-bjd friend bought me a doll wig last year for Christmas though which I thought was nice ^^'

9. When I asked a doll as a X-mas present my mom said it's ok. ^^ That's because I said it's not too expensive. :3 But then I started to have second thoughts and decided to buy it myself - that's because I just can't wait until Christmas! :'D

10. My family is very supportive but I know there is no way they can get me such an expensive gift as a new doll (I know they would if they could afford it), besides, they wouldn't know where to start to buy one. The only one who is into the hobby is my sister, maybe she could get me some little things for my dolls or even handmade clothes. But I did ask for some miniature weapons and maybe a padded sports bag I could use as a carrier bag for dolls.
      In fact, my dolls' swords were Christmas presents from my family a couple of years ago, when I didn't have my dolls yet, but I had mentioned I was planning to buy them and they would be heroic-fantasy warriors.

11. My grandmother bought me a doll for my birthday/Christmas combined, a CCC Ophelia. I told her a couple that I wanted and she helped me decide, which makes it special.

Now I'm getting money together to get a doll for Christmas besides that one, but I'm paying for most of it. I'm asking for the last 50 dollars for Christmas. :)

12. I never ask my family for doll things. I usually work to bring any dolls home myself, It would be asking too much of them because the dolls I really like are very expensive.
      I don't ask for Dolly-things either...

If anything, I will be asking for money for myself. I had spent alot of time/money on my dolls and This year I need a "Me"-year. I will be getting myself some nice gothic clothing that I've been pining over.

Actually, my clothing is more for my dolls really..... They have such great looking clothing that I (As an owner) want to match them in photo-shoots and what not. :sweat

13. Normally I wouldn't ask for a doll for Christmas---last year, the only BJD item on my list was an outfit. But this year, my mom and I decided to buy one doll each for the other for Christmas---she bought me a blank MSD-sized doll, and I bought her a fullset tiny, so our spendings on each other came about even.:) Even though we both spent the same amount of money and could have easily bought our choice of doll for ourselves, it was way more fun this way!:D:aheartbea

14. My parents are split on the issue. My mom at one point told me it was so difficult to shop for me, she'd rather just give me money and have me order a doll. But then when I encourage it, she gets hostile. Then she demands a list of things I want for Christmas..and she rejects the entire list. I include other things than doll items, mostly video games and systems and accessories..and she tells me she doesn't like anything on my list, so I'm not getting anything from my list for Christmas. And if I even mention a gift certificate to some place like Denver Doll, I get a lecture about how much she can not stand online shopping, so everything I ask for had better be offline.

Father on the other hand, says to me "Oh, well, is there a doll or some doll stuff you want for Christmas?" They give my brother and I one "big" gift each every year. So my dad told me I could ask for anything, and they'll see what I can do..and he even said I could ask for a doll. He is actually fascinated by the dolls, and wants to know everything about them. But since mother does all the shopping and ordering, the chances of me actually getting a doll from them..is slim to none.

My boyfriend on the other hand, supports my hobby 100% percent. He got me a doll for Christmas last year, and offered to do the same this year. I just don't know if I can let him. I told him there's a lot of clothes and wigs I want for the dolls I have that might be better to get. But the option is there.

15. My mom buys the presents in our family, and the rule is, if she doesn't like it, she's not buying it. She doesn't like my dolls, and I barely managed to get one for my birthday back in february.
      My parent's haven't had a good financial year, and the budget of our 'big' gifts is usually way under the normal price for a decent doll.
      So yeah, no can do here.

I also prefer to get stuff myself, because I'm very picky and I don't like sending an ebay link to my mom, saying: this is what I want.
      I usually pick out general stuff that comes in many shapes and sizes, so I get at least a bit suprised. For instance, I need a scale. There;s many forms and shapes for that so I'll get a bit suprised at least.

16. :lol: I have an Aunt Donna, who is actually named Donna. And yes, she does get the most inappropriate gifts in the world - like getting me a fur bag when I'm vegan and at the time was working for the RSPCA.

I will be getting a doll for Christmas (if she arrives in time) though. After the fur bag incident I've insisted on picking out my own presents - everybody is much happier that way. The doll I'm getting is a RS doll that my parents, two of my Aunts and Grandmother have all put in for (and I covered the rest).

17. The first thing that springs to mind when I get the question, "What do you want for Christmas/your Birthday?" is always BJD stuff!
      That said...I almost never have the nerve to say it out loud just because of how much it costs, and how hard it would actually be for someone to buy anything for me since there are so many variables when ordering. I also feel really guilty about the cost of shipping. So, much as I would love to get dollie goodies for Christmas...I'm not sure it will ever happen. ^_^"

18. My mum bought me my first doll for Christmas last year, and she's getting me my third this year. :D

19. I asked for a doll this Christmas. My mom said she would get it for me, but I wouldn't be getting too many other presents. She was going to buy me one big thing this year and it was going to be a laptop. i told her the doll i wanted cost the same amount of money and i would rather have the doll anyways.

20. My mum would never, ever get me a doll or doll-related thing for Crhristmas.
      So I asked for money, and she knew I was going to save it for my first doll, which she was still against. Then my dad overheard. And he said I should get money, because I can get something I really want, even if it's ridiculous.
      So... Now with the money I have saved, the money I'll get for Christmas, and allowance that I've been owed for a long time, I get to order my doll on Christmas!!

So, I'm sort of getting a doll for Christmas, but I'm going to pay for it. I still think I'm really lucky!! :D