1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls For Christmas

Dec 4, 2009

1. A couple of years ago I asked for a doll and my dad thought I was kidding. After finding out that I was VERY serious he agreed and I now have my boy Takanori.:)

I asked him for another doll this year and I finally got him to agree on getting one of the cheaper ones on my wishlist.;)

2. I've never asked my dad for a doll, but he'd probably get me one for Christmas.

My boyfriend once spontaneously bought me a doll I wanted because he had some spare money. :D
      He's getting me two heads this Christmas. :aheartbea

3. yes i did. christmas and my birthday are pretty close so i made ONE list that works for both. i added a puki on it :3 of course, im not getting it! because my parents always buy stuff at the very last minute and it takes about 2 months to receive a doll. but i gave the list soon enough so they could buy it for x-mas, but they dont want to buy me dolls. i dont know why. its not like they hate my dolls or something. but they dont want to buy me one or to help me buy me one. but anything else is fine! I DONT GET IT!!
      a puki is even less expensive then the camera i asked for! and i got the camera BTW
      so thats why my strategy is: ask for money

4. I've never asked for a doll from my family cuz if my mom or dad knew how much I was really spending on them they would flip out. Prolly would start chargin me rent and stuff like one of my moms co workers said to do if I was constantly spending my money on "'junk".
      Fortunately since I've kept price on the downlow, my moms been really supportive, even given me tips and suggestions for clothes or faceups and deffended me against my sister who thinks its wierd and dusnt understand dolls. My family as a group is getting me a sewing machine which is in support of doll clothes making mostly, and because I've wanted one for three Christmas's now. >>
      My boyfriend is helping me however get a dollie, but its only because I started the layaway a few mponths back so he only has to pay fo r aportion of it, like he did with my B&G Lyall. SO hes hel;ping bring her home and bring some assecories home for her!
      Which I'm very fortunate for...I know he doesnt like them but if I listen to him talk about car stuff he listens to my doll stuff and actually really seems like he likes them sometimes.

On the other hand My other two friends want their own dolls and basically shoot daggers at me when I start talking about their christmas gifts...if they had steady jobs I would totally start a layaway for them. But both are jobless so it would be a really expensive gift for first timers...I feel like if its their first and they really dont do alot of research into what they want as their first, I might end up buying a doll for someone who ends up miss treating it or not getting into it at all...which would be sad...

5. I actually get so many distraught reactions from my family that I just go and buy my own presents for Christmas. So I have a pile of gifts that say "To: Alec From: Myself"

Although the family IS chipping in to buy a body for my floating head. So not only do I have a doll from myself to open, I also have a body!

6. Almost more than half of the posts i've read, people say no, so I feel kind of bad that i ask for a doll for christmas -and- my birthday, and they're within a few weeks of each other...<<;
      I got my first doll for christmas and my 3rd doll is my christmas gift this year, and I'm probably going to get a puki for my birthday...<<;
      But really thinking about it, I couldnt think of anything else i wanted beside a DSi and a Chess Set, so...

7. *hugs* to you. I think that's awful, and it's sad that your husband
      won't buy you dolly stuff:( What's the point of giving someone a gift
      if you don't want to give them what they really want? Plain crazy.

My suggestion would be to ask for gift cards.Then you can buy your
      own doll items with the money:)
      As far as the holiday goes we don't celebrate it, which is fine.
      Unfortunately it also means that I NEVER get anything from my family.
      I used to get things once in a blue moon from my grandfather (dads side)
      but that ended years and years ago. My Dad is pretty much the same.
      He bought me something I wanted about 13 years ago and nothing since.
      My family is strange and it's pretty depressing. :atremblin

However, I share the love of dolls with my Mom:fangirl:
      So while I won't be getting anything on that day, she's helping me
      pay for my two dolls on layaway that I'll get sometime next year!!!!

8. I find it amusing that people who wouldn't bat an eye at spending the cost of a doll or higher on more "mainstream" things (like jewelry, electronics, or a designer clothing) completely freak out about spending it on something "frivolous" like a doll, simply because dolls are considered to be "childish". As if the others aren't as frivolous. It's all in what makes you happy.

In five years of being in the BJD hobby, this is the *first* year my husband is actually getting me doll-related items. He's always supported my other collections (Tinker Bell, Beanie Babies, etc.), and always was fine with my spending money on the dolls/items myself, so his is not the anti-frivolous mentality. It was more his fear of not getting me the right thing--he didn't really understand the dolls, so he historically shied away from trying to pick something I would like. I think this year he finally realized I'd get more enjoyment from a doll than the newest iPod or some such thing. So, he asked me to pick one, and for my login to the site, so this year I will actually be getting a dolly from him.

So, there is hope that, eventually, they may come around. :)

9. I think I understand how your husband/MIL feel. (Although this is just my perception and you know them, clearly, better than I). But I think people have a hard time seeing it as something more than a fad. And Christmas presents are supposed to be special & you want the person to keep it and enjoy it for a long time. And maybe they just had other ideas that they wanted to get for you? You could try explaining that right now doll stuff is all you really would like, but if they don't feel comfortable buying it you will gladly take a gift card. ;)

As for me & mine~ My hubby loves me & thus *loves* my dolls. So he doesn't mind getting me dollie stuffs or a doll for Christmas (I just bought a PKF that will be my Christmas gift). But on the same hand he wants to get me something that I didn't technically just buy for myself, since he can't navigate internet buying. So I will get smaller non dolly stuff as well. :)

My MIL and grandparents on both sides give us fairly good sized amounts of money ($100-200 from each), which I had planned on buying a doll with. My MIL knows about my dollies & I know she doesn't approve, so when she tells me "buy something you really want" and I replay "oh, I will" she gives me a weird look since she guesses it will be doll stuff, lol.

My mom doesn't have alot of money and doesn't approve of spending so much money on them anyway, although she is nice about them. And my father did give me money (like $50) to go towards a doll for me bday when I asked, but I know he doesn't really get it.

Anyway, I say get whatever dollie stuff you want and mark it from "Santa" and say Santa must've thought you were good this year and knew what you really wanted. :)

10. To my utter shock and surprise... the roomie has actually asked me, "So... did you want something doll for Xmas?"

Will wonders never cease. I was at such a complete loss for what to tell him that I'm dragging him off to Pier1 later this week to point him in the direction of a seriously adorable little cabinet I spotted that 1. is hopefully still there; 2. would make an adorable dresser; and 3. will not break the bank in the process. Start slow, be reasonable... maybe I can get this trend to continue! ;)

11. At first my mom wasn't sure about dolls. But she's helped me buy my first two and is getting me my third (Ante) for me for Christmas. I will probably never ask for anything this expensive ever again though, as I feel terribly guilty for getting something so expensive.

12. that's the same thing that happend to me...(okay not the exact same but you get it.) i asked my parents if i could get a pukipuki or some other doll for christmas (cause they asked what big thing i wanted.) but a course they said it was a waste of money and not needed...but neither is a new game consule......so why can't i get something i enjoy more? .....hmmmmm....?

13. I asked my mum for a doll for Christmas but since I have five siblings our budget is really short, she knows what they cost and said she might pay off my first doll as my Christmas present. My other relatives don't find it weird since I've always been the odd-ball of the family, but I'm pretty sure if I asked the rest of my families no one would get me one.

14. I am sure I could not live in a family that was so unsupportive as the OPs. My husband buys me a doll for Xmas and my birthday every year, and so does my Mom. And no, I am not a kid, I have grown children. Well, child.
      I really think that how your family treats your interests is indicative of how they feel about you. If I ever got the response of the OP's, I would say I wanted nothing for Christmas. Then I would file the divorce papers. Seriously.
      I can understand not "getting" someone else's interest or hobby, but so what? That doesn't mean you can be dismissive or obnoxious about it. My husband likes to build Legos. I don't get that, but I still buy them for him. And I still Oooh and Aaah over them, just like he looks at the doll stuff I show him and feigns interest. That shows me that we respect and love each other.
      So yeah, I'm getting a doll for Christmas. And my 6 year old daughter is getting her first BJD, and my 82 year old Mom is getting her fourth.

15. See, this is an example of a family who may eye-roll and not understand the "doll stuff" but they understand that thier loved one is into it, so they get her/him what they want. It's similar to trying to impose your ideas on your children/spouse/family member, it's just wrong. If you love someone you have to support their right to be an individual.

16. I would feel bad to ask any of my not-really-close family members (a.k.a. everyone but my mom and dad) for a doll.
      As for doll accessories, I can't really see any of them getting me something so specific, especially when it must be bought online.
      The only exception may be my aunt. I think she would probably want to get me something for my dolls, if I told her about them. She's a bit eccentric and she's always curious about what I've been doing lately with my hobbies. ^^

17. This is the same feeling I have about it with my boyfriend, whenever he got really sarcastic or would say wow if I was excited about a dollie coming home I would remind him I always ask him to SHOW ME how the car thing that hes workig on works even if in the end I wont get it at all and I watch him work.
      Hes gotten alot better at it, especially us both budgeting our time together, like he plays video games while I sew on his moms really niiiice sewing machine *drools* but we also make sure we dont go over board and shut each other out doing doll meets, and spending doll money and doing doll things and him doing car stuff and workig on his cars. balance, its all balance...

18. My first doll is actually a surprise Christmas gift from my boyfriend. I had a printed image of Cherry on the refrigerator door so I could look at him everyday, and looks like he noticed ^^;;
      I'm really grateful that he did that~

19. Well, no one can really buy me doll stuff because no one else is a member of the forums (and they would really just be joining to use the marketplace as few have any interest at all in the hobby lolz), and they couldn't buy me clothes from the companies because then they would eat shipping, and they couldn't ever get me a doll because no one can afford one! I'm amazed at the people who get whole dolls as presents... that's just amazing. O_O
      My parents are happy with my hobby as long as I do not hurdle into insanity and start having long conversations with my dolls, but they do NOT want to hear about the price of anything, haha. I think if they had better income, they would buy me stuff. My boyfriend definitely would as he's big on Godzilla memorabilia, thus we both have strange hobbies, but he's a poor college student, so no dollie from him, boooo.

20. Ah, it's bad when your family doesn't understand about your hobby. My family has been supportive so far.

Have you asked for dolls for Christmas?
      I have on two occasions and once for my birthday.

What was your family's reaction?
      My mom has been supportive of my hobbies and is willing to do this instead of just giving me money most of the time.

Did you get the doll for Christmas?
      So far I have gotten two for Christmas presents. One my mother fully bought (a tiny) and one she helped to pay for (an SD).