1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls For Christmas

Dec 4, 2009

1. Hmm :\ I've asked for doll stuff for Christmas before, but never dolls. My family doesn't even like it much that I'm spending that much of my own money on them, let alone theirs.

They did get me some doll clothes last year, but I feel so guilty asking this year, because the shipping cost was murder for them, and it was difficult for them to figure out how to order from some of these places, after only ordering anything online at all -ever- from Amazon.com, and definitely never from an overseas website before.

So, I'm asking for doll things from my doll friends this year, instead of family. Family gets my art supplies bill >:3

However~ I did buy myself two Pipos dolls as a Christmas-present-to-me this year <3

2. I asked for mostly doll things this year, and my parents are totally supportive of the hobby. They're buying me my first resin baby,(albeit a cheaper mold) and some clothes and a wig for her ^^;

3. I feel incredibly lucky after reading all of these posts. My husband is buying me an SD for Christmas. He bought me two MSD's for my birthday last month. If we can afford it he never says no to dolls or doll stuff I want. He knows that it makes me happy and its an enjoyable hobby I can share with our two daughters. But like some of the others have said I also support his hobbies like fishing and his remote control trucks.

I wouldn't ask for a doll from my parents, because I'm grown now and it seems like way to much to ask of them. But I know if I did my mom would happily chip in or buy me one. I know my mom thinks it's a bit silly sometimes, but she says as long as I'm happy that is all that matters.

4. I asked for camera accessories so I can take better pictures. While my family and friends are supportive of my strange hobbies, I don't trust any of them to try to navigate their way through the hassle that is ordering doll stuff, and the actual dolls I want are too expensive for a gift.

I think my roomie might be getting me an airbrush for use in faceups, so it will be a dollie-ish Christmas, just with no actual dolls or clothes. *laugh*

5. I feel like it's too much to ask for one person to buy me a doll. Even if that person is my husband. I've never lived in the bet of financial situations... so I know how broke everyone is and what a sacrifice it is to get Christmas Presents in general. So I'd feel bad asking for something like that.

I thought about asking for a puki pong pong this christmas... I though maybe if everyone chipped in just a little then it would be possible... but after some sticky financial situations in the family... people loosing jobs, the economy hurting businesses... I decided not to. It would make me feel selfish.

I still ask for money, though. Some of my relatives will actually send me money... but people like my mom say that it's 'impersonal' and then they buy me random things instead. >.< Though I decided to ask for "Jo-Anns Gift Cards" from her this year so I can buy some sewing things for my dollies and myself. It's more personal than cash, but still useful to me and my hobby... so I hope she does that.

Besides, I'm getting myself a doll (a little late, but still) for this Christmas. ^_^ So I can be happy with just her and some new sewing supplies.

And to add to conversation... it's not because my family isn't supportive. My husband understands that if he wants to collect his D&D stuff/Swords/Nerf Guns it's the same as me collecting Dolls. So he doesn't love my dollies, persay, but he knows that he has hobbies that he loves, too. And my Mom loves Sanyu and buys HER Christmas presents every year! <3 (Even though they are little 2 dollar things... it really does make my day!)

So maybe in the future I can get up the nerve to ask for a puki.

6. Hey, I know you, OP!

I have a lot of trouble broaching the subject with people at the parent-level (mother, future in-laws, extended family), but my Fiance and all my friends are supportive and have fun with it and I have no trouble asking them for doll related things.

I think you'll find there will be people who understand and there will be people who don't, and you have to decide if it's worth it to keep pushing or to just drop it when it comes to them.

7. The only person I've ever told [not asked -haha] that I wanted them to buy me a doll was the hubby. Though not for Christmas, just a few Anniversaries ago. I wouldn't ask anyone else to buy me a doll, Christmas or otherwise, for a few different reasons. One being that my 'family' doesn't work that way and never has, another being I enjoy earning the dolls myself [gives a serious sense of satisfaction to work hard, save the cash and buy them]

Now giving dolls as Christmas presents, I've done this a few times before. I've given a few dolls to my daughter, and a bff of mine received one as well a few years back. If I could afford to do more, I would because I'm a horrible enabler who feels no shame in sharing the doll love.

8. In this respect I'm grateful my relatives just give me money for Christmas. They don't even pretend to understand my hobbies, and in a way I guess I'd prefer that. ^_^; That said, I don't see why people wouldn't give you money to support your hobby as a present for the holidays, especially if that's what you really want.

9. Well its up in the air now. I gave my Christmas list to my MIL with the doll and other non-doll things. If I get her I'll be thrilled, if not I'll know not to ask that side of the family for doll related things. My mom had me send her a link to the doll dress I want, and I thought that was pretty cool. Even if I just get one doll related thing this Christmas I'll be happy, 'cause that's what I want.

10. Richila and PinkPoodle - It may be that the buying process for the dolls is off-putting. I know a lot of people like to go to a store, buy a gift, and take it home to be wrapped. Maybe when they give you money for the dolls, it feels to them less like they gave you something? They may also have issues with you 'knowing' what your gift is. Our bf was completely against me getting my big girl as a present for that reason (my gf bought her anyway).

11. My family is the same way I just get money. Which is just fine with me that way I get what I want. Besides my family sucks at following lists if I told them to go and buy me a doll there is a 75% chance they would get the wrong one and that's only if they figured out how to use paypal LOL.

12. Luxuria- I completely understand about the ordering process and such. It can be confusing. We live fairly close to DDE, so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

13. I think this is often the case. Ball-jointed dolls aren't as accessible as some gift-givers would prefer.

My family is extremely opposed to giving money, because my family members feel that it is impersonal and lazy. They want to put time and effort into choosing something specifically for that person.

Although this would drive them to select obscure items very much desired by the recipient, the process of purchasing said items can be daunting. Some people (especially, in my case, older relatives) don't trust buying online. Others balk at the wait time for production and shipping. And some are skeptical that this "foreign company" will run off with their money.

There's also the immediacy. Even doll-related items from domestic resellers or personal crafters can take an undetermined amount of time for delivery. That sort of thing makes inexperienced buyers very nervous.

Obviously there are some people who want to give what they WANT to give instead of what the recipient wants, but that isn't the case for everyone. I know it's really frustrating to not receive something you want as a gift when it's possible and seems to fit the provided criteria, but in certain cases I can understand where they're coming from.

14. I did have "gift cards from DDE" on my Christmas list. Then I had to switch to money after my laptop broke. So my Christmas was going to be somewhat doll themed, but not anymore. Does that count? On the other hand my local group is doing a Secret Santa gift exchange. So I'll be having a 100% doll non-Christmas after Christmas. :sweat

15. I usually try to get my relatives/friends etc to understand that I don't want anything for my birthday/x-mas. I've gone through so many embarrassing cases of having to feign being grateful for blouses and sweaters that are at least twice my girth and no where near my style, bright yellow towel sets, slutty McSlut slut-shirts and fishnets, random things with skulls on... the list goes on an on. I really appreciate the effort, but it just makes me so much more trouble than if I were to just get nothing. I'm happy enough with just enjoying the people around me, their company and just getting some time to slack. :)

But yeah, asking for dolls and stuff. So far it hasn't even worked for me to ask for simple things like books so I'll just skip trying. My bf once lovingly got me a B-el faceplate with the help of my dolly-savvy local friend, but I know he had to go through a lot and make a lot of fuss and spend a lot of money to do this for me. So this year I just told him "you won't have to get me anything because I just ordered a chibi from us to me!" I'm paying for her myself, but the glee of getting her will be present enough. :lol:

16. One unbelievably lucky person here too. My hubby asked whether I wanted a dollie for Christmas and my answer was, as everyone can guess, was yes. Little did he know that I had already made agreements for a MNF Shiwoo Elf.

Its the easiest for him, since he's busy at work, to let me choose and order my own present and just pay and wrap it.

17. I usually get money or Gift Cards for Christmas/birthdays, since my family never know what to get me. Any money I get this year will most likely go towards doll-related stuff. :sweat

18. I've actually had a doll for christmas now and I've sworn never to have another one. I don't think it's wrong persay I mean it's lovely to find a doll under your christmas tree but it is truely too much to ask anyone for. I'd much rather have something smaller, we were exceptionally fortunate with money last year despite the recession.

19. Not even in a million years would I ever get a doll for christmas.. xD That's why I say I wish for money since I can get exactly what I want myself. I'm weird like that...
      And as others have said, I doubt they'd be able to navigate the webpages:sweat My dad refuses to use a computer and my mom rarely uses it so if it did happen I think I'd probably faint from shock or something! :lol: And it's a lot of money too, we don't spend too much money for christmas as we have a large family. :)

20. I asked for and got a doll for Christmas last year, but I ended up selling him and the person who gave him to me wasn't exactly happy with that even though it was almost a year later... so I don't think I'd ask for one again. :sweat