1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls from Angell Studio? Good or bad?

Oct 18, 2007

1. 1 . Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?
      My Abel did. He's identical to the photos, save his pink colour- a lot pinker than expected. However, the PHOTOS of him turn out the same skin colour as the ones on the site.

2. How is the posability of the doll?
      He poses perfectly! He has legs that can twist, and his knees and elbows lock.

3. What kind of skintone do the dolls have?
      I can't compare to others as he's my first doll. I've seen others that belong to my friends but I haven't been able to compare in person yet. I can say he's darker than my friend's Obitsu, the only doll I've been able to compare him to in person. I got the Abel-Pink and it's a beautiful, healthy rosy pink colour.

4. How was the customer service?
      Amazing. I've heard other people had problems and this shocks me, because I was answered within a few hours from my email to a day at latest on everything I inquired about. I was always kept up to date on my doll's status, I even got photos of him in progress, and I was given a tracking number the day he was shipped.

5. How was the packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?
      It took ages to unwrap him, he was well packed. There's no way that this doll could have gotten damaged in shipping. He has a plus, embroidered carrying bag. The embroidery on it wasn't top notch but not bad, but that's just me being picky because embroidery is one of my crafts. There was so much packing material I don't even know how it fit in the box.

6. Is the store reliable?
      Somewhat. It only seems to work right on IE... which my computer does not have. I managed to get it to go with an IE emulator though.

7. How is the resin smell?
      Not resin-y at all. I got him with the vanilla scent. It's not an overpowering smell, just a light vanilla scent that covers up the resin scent.

8. Anything else?
      He came strung TIGHT. And I mean TIGHT. It took DAYS of posing and regular tugging on before he got loose enough to unstring, really frustrating. XD;; I got him Thursday and it's only today, the next Tuesday, that I've got him even close enough to loose enough to disassemble, and he still fought me. But once he came apart he was easy to get back together (comparatively) and is very easy to string well.

2. 1. Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?
      I purchased a Gabriel in normal skin tone. She does look exactly like the photos, except for the skin tone - it was pinker and slightly darker in real life.

2. How is the posability?
      My doll was very very tightly strung which made her a little bit difficult to pose (and the joints creaked a lot). However, she poses perfectly now after restringing.

I've only purchased one doll in the J-EXP "pink" skintone...and yes, its very pink! That being said, I still like the skin tone very much - it doesnt look too unnatural, and Angell studio did an amazing job of blushing and faceup to compliment the skin color.

4.How was customer service?
      Ok, so I was one of those unfortunate people who had to wait three months for the doll to arrive, and I think it was partially because it was limited edition and very popular. Emails from the company were blocked for some reason, so I didnt hear from them at all during those three months, despite contacing them several times (quite a scary experience -_-;;). Luckily, the doll arrived eventually, and customer service finally got through to me - they were very apologetic. Honestly they are really nice people, I think they were just going through a rough patch with regards to emails. (alot of people werent receiving them). Also, if you need to cancel an order, they are very helpful and allow it to go smoothly.

5.How was packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?
      It took quite a while to get through all the layers of packaging...it was really really well wrapped! The carrier bag is cute, nothing amazing with regards to quality.

6.Is the store reliable?
      When I first contacted the store, emails came fast. But as I said above, after ordering I had to wait the excruciating 3 months with no contact. I know that they were going through some factory changes at this point, and they were taking large orders, so that may have been the cause of the looong waiting time. I would hesitate to buy from them again because of the wait I had to go through, but I wouldn't write them off as totally unreliable.

I didn't get a scent, and I don't think the resin smell was strong at all.

8. Anything else?
      These people are really good at face-ups. It's gorgeous - I can't even imagine how the lashes were done with such tiny lines. The body blushing was perfect too. Compared to a Luts faceup on another doll I own, I have to say Angell studio's was so much more impressive - it has a very delicate, detailed style.

3. 1 . Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?
      Enough so for me not to complain. There are some things in the faceup that are different, but that's what you get with hand painted things.

2. How is the posability of the doll?
      He needs sueded, he's very kicky and doesn't like standing. But his elbows lock, and he's very pretty.

Well i ordered a "pinky" in french resin. So he's pinky, but it's a light pink. I'm posting a comparison picture up in one of the threads shortly.

4. How was the customer service?
      quite good. I always got fast replies and the people were very courteous.

5. How was the packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?
      There wasn't that much bubble wrap, but he was safe enough. Only a layer around each arm, each leg, and a big plastic bag around that, than more bubble wrap, than strapped into his carrier bag. So i suppose he was safe enough ^^

6. Is the store reliable?
      I think it was... I mean... a day less than 2 months is quite nice. It was easy to order from, with no hiccups... no stress...

"Not resin-y at all. I got him with the vanilla scent. It's not an overpowering smell, just a light vanilla scent that covers up the resin scent." < best way to put it. it smells more like french vanilla to me.

8. Anything else?
      I like his weight, his body. The blushing was nice. but he's very matte. Everything shines, but it all shines with many bumps and it's just weird... overall though, i'm happy.

4. Hi! I ordered my Kana only a week ago and I've just found this useful thread... I have a question about AS 1/3 dolls' eyes... what size are their default eyes? I haven't been able to find that information on the site. She'll come with random color eyes, but just in case I don't like them when she arrives, I'd like to know what size I should look for, in case I need to buy her new eyes.

Also, the doll description says it comes with a free pair of glass eyes. Are they really glass? I found it surprising, because most doll companies I've seen only offer acrylic as default eyes, and you have to buy new eyes separately if you want glass ones. Is that right?

5. I have a pair of LUTS glass eyes in my AOD and they don't feel like glass so I think their a more sturdy type of glass. Congrats on your Kana, I'm hoping to bring mine home by the end of the summer. :)

6. Well, I've got a Kana Pink and my eyes are 18mm (like other SD). The eyes that they send me are really a pair of glass eyes, but the color (blue) is very artificial and I like something more real ><

7. Hi, new here. I was looking into getting an Angell-Studio Cain, and I was just wondering two things:
      1. If someone could direct me to some owner-pictures who had AS do the face up for a WS
      2. I actually want to get Cain as a girl (come on, he would make a cute girl!) but there's a centimeter difference between the girl and boys necks, so I'm wondering if that causes even a remotely noticeable issue, or if the company does some sanding/inserting of resin to shrink the head hole down. I just want to make sure the head won't wobble at all.

Okay, that's it. Sorry for being a pest!

But since I'm here, I might as well ask: Are those STILL the sale prices up on the site, or have they since reverted back to the normal cost? I'm assuming they're still the sale prices, since it says as much in the description, and I think they're cheaper then smaller dolls that the company sells. But I figure I'd just double check.

8. I don't have a Cain, but my girlfriend [who doesn't have a DOA name] has an Adam on a girl body, and she looks fine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, there's no real problem with the neck.
      I love the A-S dolls, personally. They're so pretty and pale. I have a Domuya too and the flexibility doesn't really compare but she's so pretty and spunky, holdes poses like a rock, and the customer service is really great.

9. Ah thankies so much Wildefae! That Adam is so cute.
      Well, you've just managed to tip the scale to the point where now I'm just waiting/plotting on how to get enough money to pay for everything I want.
      Did she get the faceup done by the company, or someone else (be it her, or comissioned artist)
      I'm curious, since some companies add eyelashes to the dolls as part of the base faceup cost, so I hear, and some do not. Just wanted to know if I'd have to get eyelashes for my girl.

10. There is actually an option on the site to change the gender of the body from male to female (and vice versa on girl dolls) so I'm sure they make sure the body fits the head ^_^

Or at least, there was last time I checked anyway >.>

11. Oh I know. It's because of that I got it into my head to have Cain as a girl. I just wasn't sure if they either a. did something to ensure it fit correctly or b. they just switched the bodies without any alrerations, that the jumped price was because it was altering their pre-existing bases and they'd have to move things around, since they do have the girl body available, they still don't have the boys.
      But I was mainly concerned about neck meets head hole, and if it still looked good. I'm babbling. But yea, just wanted that clarified, just cause they can do it, doesn't mean they'll do it well, if that makes sense.

12. Gre', Jessi's Adam girl, is faceupped and blushed by Angell-Studio, so the lashes came with her. There are a lot of customizers who will add lashes for, like, $5 though - even if you don't provide them. For example, I just got my doll, Regan, faceupped by timchener, and she did this, and I've seen a lot of other customizers do this as well. Often it's free if you do provide the lashes.

The blushing and faceup is really pretty from Angell-Studio, though; it's not too badly priced either.

13. How is the quality?
      I think it is very good.

Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?
      YES.My son is Lucifer.He is very handsome

How is the posability of the doll?
      He can pose well I think.

What kind of skintone do the dolls have? (really pinkish, normal fleshy skintone... comparisons with other companies?)

White.I had seen ABIO ANGEL normal skin,compare with it,AS's white is too white.But I like it!

How was the customer service?
      Enn..I am a chinese,so I commucate with CHINESE customer service.The first customer service isn't very responsible,but the customer service is very patient.

How was the packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?
      Packed well.My son reached safetily.A carrier is in.

Is the store reliable?
      I think so.

How is the resin smell?
      Compare with Abio angel,he almost has none.I only smell the sweety scent.

Anything else you can think of, please let me know!
      At first they said I could receive my son at the end of the January,but at last I received him at 3.13.
      But often they will send a month after ordering.And I think the extra service is good,you can choose the resin type and color which you like.

Here is my son.
      [​IMG]

Forget to say:the faceup i brushed by myself.I didn't request the official faceup.

14. well another chinese here~~~~i'd like to say hello!!Your lucifer looks so different from the official version

15. Well, I just received a pinky white boy body (60cm) from Angell-Studio. Here is my review:

How is the quality?: Pretty average. But a lot of other posters have already covered that so I will move on.

Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?: I only got a body, but yes, it looked the same.

How is the posability of the doll?: The body seems like it can do anything one might expect of a relatively simplistic joint system. It's a bit kicky/springy, but a decently strong stander.

What kind of skintone do the dolls have?: I got the body in pinky white and it is PINK. Far more pink than I remember my Dream of Doll being (which the website says it is made to match), and even more pink than DIM. With the right faceup it should be fine, but I was really surprised. Did they accidentally mix up Pepto-Bismol with the resin? :sweat

How was the customer service?: I don't know what to say about this. I ordered the body as a guest on their website and promptly received an email that they had verified my order and that the body may take up to 30 days to produce and ship; I would receive another email when any new information became available. I wasn't really expecting it to take 30 days since it was only a body, but when I received no further communication, I figured I would just wait it out patiently.

Well, after a month had passed and I had heard nothing from them, I sent another email to ask for an update about my order and if it might ship soon. To my surprise I got back a very apologetic email from a new person explaining that the former customer service rep was no longer there and since he was new, he hadn't known about my order. So... I guess they forgot about me?? @.@ Well, once he'd (re)confirmed my order, the new rep told me that the package was sent on 4/2 and that they had included some free elastic as gift for the wait. So that was nice of them. No big issue, except according to tracking the package did not leave China until 4/10... hmmm.

How was the packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?: The packaging was quite... interesting. Rather than the thin doll box being packaged into a sturdier cardboard box for transit as most doll companies do, it was instead wrapped up in a DHL bag (it wasn't sent DHL, by the way). When I removed the bag the corners of the box were smushed and it seemed pretty beat up in general. And the strangest part of all, when I opened the box to take a look at the doll it was wet inside! *_* The bubble wrap was moist to the touch and there was condensation on the inside. To top it all off, the bubble wrap looked old, flat, and dirty. Yuck!

That said, the doll was in fine condition and I have to admit, Angell-Studio has the best pillow bags I've ever seen - it has handles and zips up. Very cool! Even though the packaging was pretty scary, it looks like this pillow bag kept the body safe.

Is the store reliable?: Seems so; if you have any doubts throughout the process of your order, just email. They do reply promptly once contacted and the current rep is very polite and helpful.

How is the resin smell?: Strong and good (I got unscented).

Additionally, potential buyers should probably be aware of their return policy:

I don't know about China, but in the US this would be extremely rude to do, if not impossible. I know of no mail carrier who would be willing to wait around and delay the rest of their route while I open the package and check for damages, much less any who would take back an EMS package that has been opened to return to sender (especially with the way it was packed - i.e. wrapped in a bag which had to be cut away along with address/customs form).

Now, EMS does have a free return to sender policy, but only if the package is unopened - like if it was delivered to the wrong address. As far as I know, once the parcel is opened and examined it would have to be repackaged and taken to the post office for postage back to the sender to be paid. Of course, by that time Angell Studio can't help us, right? :/

I'm not sure, but I think this might be a cultural difference between the US and China; I doubt they are looking for loopholes to keep their money or anything shady like that. I am willing to believe the folks at Angell-Studio just don't know how difficult this return policy makes things in the United States. That said, I think it is something that buyers should be aware of and take into consideration before their purchase.

16. Hi all. This thread is very helpful. I ordered a White Cain today... I hope I don't end up running into the shipping/ customer service problems a lot of people had :|. I emailed their customer service last night to see if they had him in stock, and this morning had a reply saying yes. So I guess we'll see. I ordered him with a default face up and I really hope he looks like the pics on the web site. But I undersand hand painted items will never be exact. Bleah I hate waiting!

17. My Kana is my first doll, so I'm no expert in BJDs and I can't really compare (as in "she poses better or worse than other companies' dolls" etc)... the only references I have are what I've seen on pics, and my sister's doll (a Blue Fairy one). But I'll try my best to help!
      I hope it's clear enough, sorry if my English isn't very good :sweat

How is the quality?: As I said before, I can't compare so... it seems good to me. The doll is pretty heavy, if that helps any.

Did the dolls look like the ones in the photos?: Yes, very much, if not better! I wasn't disappointed at all, and the make-up was really nice.

How is the posability of the doll?: Having only one doll to compare with, I think it's pretty good. She can keep poses well, and has been able to hold most poses I've tried so far.

What kind of skintone do the dolls have?: I ordered my doll in pink, and I had heard it was very very pink, but I didn't find it so, in fact it's a very light pinky white... I like the color very much, I also requested body blushing so it might have some influence in the color, but still... I think it's a very nice and natural-looking pale pink color.

How was the customer service?: I haven't had a problem with it. They were always nice and replied quickly when I e-mailed them.
      I also got the e-mail saying they had a new customer service rep. I replied with my order info, asking them to keep me updated about it... and just a few days later I got my EMS number, much earlier than I expected (they had said it would take 50 days to have the doll + make-up and blushing ready to send, but I got her in a month!)

How was the packaging? Did they send it with a carrier bag?: Just as Brynn described above. The doll box came wrapped in a plastic DHL bag. Luckily the box was strong enough and it wasn't damaged nor had crushed corners, but the adhesive on the plastic bag was stuck to the box and I was sad that it ripped small pieces of the pink box when I unwrapped it.
      The doll was inside the Angell Studio transportation bag, and wrapped in bubblewrap, her hands and feet were covered by small bubblewrap "bags". I thought she wasn't as carefully wrapped as other dolls I had seen on "box opening galleries" before... but anyway, she was in perfect condition and nothing was broken.

Is the store reliable?: I would recommend it.

How is the resin smell?: Very nice. I ordered my doll with beautiful sea scent... I'm not really sure on what she smells like *lol* but it's really nice anyway. It's not a very strong smell, but you notice it when you open the box and also when you're close to de doll, playing with her, dressing her etc... I like it.

Note: And, just as some people had warned me, the wigs (both the default wig and the extra wig I ordered with the doll) looked kind of damp when I took them out of their bags :o I didn't notice a strong smell or anything, just the hair a bit wet... maybe they just used some kind of wig conditioner and didn't let dry before wrapping them, but just in case, I decided to wash both wigs.

18. I can understand why they say so for i am a chinese.there's a story about shipping.One of my friend had ordered a MP4 on Ebay,but after she opened the package there are only bag and rings left,she contacted to the seller,and the seller said he had put the MP4 in the package,that might be the problem of shipping company,and she asked to the carrier,the carrier say they hadn't opened it before..........anyway the seller believe that she was not telling lies,and send a new one to her,but see ,if the seller don't believe her or the shipping fee is expensive (it's only 15CNY that's mean $2) she won't got her MP4 at last.The shipping fee from USA to China is so expensive,and as i know angell studio is not a big and old company,they don't want to take any risk on shipping.But i think what really suggestion is have a look on the outside of the package to see whether it had been already opened or broken badly,not check the inside part.

19. That would make sense, if they hadn't written "please open the package."

What I am wondering is: in China, it is not as rude to ask your mail carrier to wait and delay the rest of their route while you dig around in the box they just delivered, and is it acceptable to just give it back to them once you have opened it without expecting to pay for return postage? I know I wouldn't dream of doing it here. I think I would rather take it up with Angell-Studio than deal with the nasty looks I would get from the postman :sweat

20. Here in Spain it's the same... if you don't open the package in front of a post office worker, you can't claim your money back if the items are missing or damaged, because the post office may say the seller sent them like that, and the seller may say it's the post office's fault... so I can understand why they say so (some of my friends have had problems with that), but I also think it's rude to make the postman wait so long (because dolls usually come very well packed) v_v
      If I had had to pick it up at the post office, I wouldn't mind opening the box right there to check everything, but the postwoman brought me the box home, to my very door, so I didn't feel it right to ask her to stay and just took the risk. Luckily everything was there and in good condition... :sweat