1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls from Different Stories

Aug 9, 2016

1. I love writing stories so I built a whole world for my dolls. Right now everyone fits into it perfectly. But some dolls I want have different universes. So I will probably end up with multiple stories.

2. Different stories.

#22 MicroRNA, Aug 17, 2016
      Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    3. I only have one doll at the moment, but with regards to my doll plans, they're all from the same story / world. There are some other characters from a different story / universe which I'd like to shell into resin, buuut... that would have to wait until later. Priority dolls first.

4. Mine are all part of the same story. Its set in the present real world, except there's elves, fairies, and magic users running around. Three of them are pretty heavily based on anime characters, but they manage to fit in with the other characters. I want to write more of their overlapping stories before I bring any more in, as a lot of the characters feel half developed.

5. When I started collecting I thought that I would try to keep my dolls within the same "universe" so to speak. I thought if I limited myself to that universe that it would help keep my buying in check. But then I found another doll that I fell in love with that so perfectly captured a character outside that group. I bought the doll and now have dolls from 5 or so stories.

6. Most of my dolls are from the same story. Not all of them are main characters (though I tried to bring them home first ... really!) but they do belong in the same setting. There is one from another story that I wasn't really going to shell, I bought the doll for a different character but upon arrival she turned my plans upside down and informed me she was someone else. She's the only one from her universe so far, but her elf ears can be hidden by a wig so she can still pose as NPC in the main story (if I ever get to the point where I can actually create the photostories I've been planning).
      I only have one doll who really sticks out from the rest, and that's my little Bajoran - mostly because her aesthetic is different from everyone else's. She's a Luts event head and rather stylized (the rest of them are at the realistic end of the spectrum), so that even if I tried to get others into her setting they would't look right together. As a result she doesn't get half the attention she deserves. But that's a style thing, not a setting thing. I'll see how it plays out when my AprilStory kids come in, they're somewhere in-between as aesthetics go and might bridge the gap.

All in all, most of my crew work fine together even if they don't belong in the same story. I can always have them pull "double duty" - they can be a main in their own story and an NPC in another. :)

7. I've got two stories going. One is for the larger dolls (30cm and up) and the collection there is definitely a motly crew. The other is about the adventures of Mr. Fizzlepond and revolves around tinies in their dollhouse.

Got to say that Mr. Fizzlepond's story is the one I spend the most time on and that I want to save for photoshoots in the future. You know... when I'm old, and wrinkly and have finally discovered a way to make time for it ;).

8. They all belong to the same universe and I want all future dolls to belong to it as well so I can explore different parts of it. So I guess when I write it will be like standalone novels that are part of the same series, the stories connected but each with a different group of protagonists so all characters can have their story told. Or like a giant serial story with each arch with different POVs.

9. When I first got started, I only planned to have one story grouping, and kept things that way for quite a while... Eventually, though, that started changing, and ended up as the list currently on my profile here.

That said, there's some areas where crossovers are possible. It generally doesn't make sense outside comparisons with those who are the same character at different sizes, and one group is fairies in our world, so they'd be out of scale with the rest.

But the two main groups each have several characters who can move between worlds (one of them is made up of characters from several worlds already), so it's feasible within the rules of their worlds that they could meet if I wanted them to. That said, they do exist wholly separate from each other.

10. I have about 7 different storylines going. I don't really want to say "worlds" because some of them could come from the same world in different times and places, but they are totally unrelated to each other. I have the kids, the dystopians, the elves, the 1550s fantasy, the 1890s fantasy, the Greek deities, and the holiday-themed groups. My only rule is that the dolls in a group should "work" together. That is, have a similar size/style that looks right together. Of course, rules have exceptions and my Greek group are half SD and half MSD, but I figure as deities they can get away with it ;)

11. I have two main stories (it's listed as more on my profile, but everything but Four Worlds (and nowhere to go) is from my reaper universe. The thing is, in my writing, there's an inter-universal highway, called the void space. You go insane if you're in it for any extended period of time, but it means that, theoretically, these dolls are all from universes that coexist. That said, the way things work in each universe is very different, and I can't really see myself using the void space for a connected storyline between reapers and the magic people from Four Worlds. I might do pictures together, to point out parallels, and little crossover scenes to compare character traits.