1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls going off the wishlist

Aug 18, 2009

1. I have had over 10 dolls at the same time before now and I don't want to get there again, as a result I'm limiting my collection to only Volks dolls and selling the dolls I can bear to part with to keep an all-Volks family. While I may have some gorgeous dolls on my wishlist, I would have to sell some of my current dolls to purchase them. I will always love Elfdoll Hazy, but she isn't aesthetically close enough to my current dolls to make me want to purchase her, whereas my other dream doll, Renewal Nana, is both a Volks and aesthetically close enough to the rest of my dolls :) Of course this changes frequently and I could find myself starting a layaway for Hazy with Denver Doll Emporium before I remember I don't want 10 dolls!

2. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Not very often. I try and decide carefully which dolls I would really like to have ^^

-What makes a doll go off your wishlist?
      Usually because I've decided not to get it or I've found another doll that I'll like instead of it.

-Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this?
      Kind of...>3< I was saving up for a Peakswood but then I saw a left over BlueFairy WS Louis from an event and I decided to get him instead :sweat The price was a good deal for a WS, so I couldn't resist :lol:. I don't regret it though, I've decided not to get the other doll now.

3. My wish list only ever seems to grow. Things rarely leave it, as the things that land on it have generally been given a lot of consideration. If anything on it changes much, it's additions, and the order in which I hope to acquire the items on it.

Changes tend to happen based on other things I'm able to find, or other things I need. One doll nearer the bottom of my list got bumped toward the top when I realized I want to swap some parts of it around with this month's Soom MD, for instance -- I could have waited a while longer if that reason wasn't bumping her further up the list.

Some of the dolls on my list are ones that I have very little chance of acquiring, and I know it well. It's also something that doesn't especially bother me. The chances of finding a Beryl or a Sard in the price range I'd be hoping to pay when I actually have the cash in hand to do it, for instance, are incredibly unlikely -- but I'm strangely fine about that. I leave them on the list because, heck, it'd be nice if it happened, and I'm not ruling out the possibility of it. Stranger things have happened in the history of the world, after all.

Pretty much everything on my list is normal releases, or limited editions that sold out before I became interested in them. A number of the dolls I like are limited, so they tend to bump the ones that I like from the normal releases out of the way, unfortunately, to avoid secondary market markups.

4. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Not all that often.

I see owner photos that make it look different from promo photos in a way that I don't like.

-Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this?
      Nope, I'm so bad at saving. I'm trying to stick to a plan on buying whichever SD16 girl/boy or SD17 boy comes out next and tickles my fancy, so we'll see how it goes.

5. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Not very often.

Usually it's that I come across another mold that seems more appropriate for the look that I'm going for. For example, I planned to get my character Dorian Leeds as a CP Dreaming Shiwoo for many months, but then I thought a Zaoll Luv boy-mod would suit the character better. So off my list went the Shiwoo, and on went the Luv.
      Other times, my tastes just change. I was planning to buy a Leekeworld Min and a Crobidoll Thor for the longest time, but now they're both just not my kind of doll. I still think they're beautiful, but no longer have any urge to purchase either.

This hasn't happened to me yet.

6. I've found from previous experience that for myself it's best to wait a while before committing to the purchase. I do have a tendency to fall in love at first sight, and then I go wandering off to the next love. Need to tame that beast!

7. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Dolls go on mah wishlist A LOT! Lol. If I see a doll I REALLY REALLY REALLY like, it goes on there! I'm also still lookin' for a doll to represent a character of mine. Right now he's gonna be a Luts Regen, but that could change. I'm still quite unsure about that. I have taken dolls off my wishlist as well.. To my surprise. XD

Sometimes I just realize it isn't my style. Or if it's sold out and I don't feel the need to look for it second hand, it might come off. Or, if I think another doll will represent a character, I switch 'em out. I also, sometimes, just take 'em off, 'cause I don't like them as much anymore.

This has not happened to me. As I only have one doll at the moment, and am saving for another one this very moment that I absolutely LOVE! But I'm sure this will probably happen to me one day. Or, I'll start to save for it, and decided that I don't like it anymore. Lol. I don't know why that would happen to me.. Maybe my mood has changed or something. XD

8. For me, it would be reading reviews and finding out the company either
      A. had poor customer service
      B. the doll was not as high quality as it appeared in photos

That would be a real turn off for me. Sometimes pictures don't do a product justice...but sometimes it's just the opposite!

9. How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      It just depends. At one time I had several dolls on my wishlist. Then I realized that the storyline wasn't going the way I wanted and changed it up.
      What makes a doll go off your wishlist?
      As above, (I'll elaborate here) eventually I realized that in my opinion SDs made my two girls looke like children. Around 12-ish or so. I hated that because their characters are 17 & 19, so making them look young was not an option. Sometimes they go off because I found a doll I like better, one that fits that character more.
      Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this?
      This happened in the beginning. I was saving for a DoC Leya and got a B&G Sharon instead (who is still awaiting the proper body... :sweat Poor thing). In the end I'm glad. The happy face is better suited to Alice instead of Davey, she's more serious.

10. I'm so glad you posted this. I had to go back and look at the wishlist that I have here on DOA... I wanted what? I left it unedited. I must have wanted those dolls for some reason....

Anyway, for discussion:

-How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?

Dolls seem to to on...I haven't taken but one off.

I saw photos in the gallery and something made me think Eh, maybe not.

-Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this? I'm still saving. I want one for my birthday. It will most likely come from the wishlist. I don't have a specific one in mind so this question probably doesn't apply (to me).

11. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Every few days. My wishlist isn't a set in stone kind of thing, more of a reminder for dolls I've seen and are considering maaaaybe to buy in the future.
      If I have too many dolls on my wishlist, or just decide I don't need it, really. The only dolls that stay on my wish list are the ones I keep going back to over and over.
      Nope :)

12. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Um, maybe about 2-3 dolls go on/off it a year

I buy it or I find something I like better to fill its spot. Sometimes (and this is rare) I find something that fits nowhere into my doll family or doll plans, but is so cute I just add it on (like a Puki I am about to add). Sometimes I change my mind and take it off, sometimes I buy and love it and keep it or sell it.

Yes. I saved up for a Volks FCS F01 (F01 was on my list for about 2 years). I wanted all these special options (the white skin mainly) that only come with FCS. Well, in the past year Volks discontinued the wig I wanted to get, the eye color I was going to order, and I actually got a BW doll (different kind) and did not like the color as much as the pure skin. So, I went ahead and took that off the list, decided on a standard F01 (Megu) and got her ^_^

13. How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      They go onto my wishlist more than off. ^_^() And not very often, I don't think. Though there are a few characters of mine on my wishlist that keep 'switching molds' if that counts?

I sometimes look at my wishlist and go 'that's ridiculous!' and cut back on the few characters I don't really want as dolls. I think I've reached the point of not being able to cut back much more.

And some of my characters don't have decided mold yet. So, as previously stated, they just keep switching what doll they want to be.

Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore?

Nope. I've only really saved up for 2 dolls, though. Sanyu was and is perfectly Sanyu so there was never any question about whether I liked her or not. She was for sure the one I was getting. The same goes for the doll I'm 'saving up for' right now. I've been looking at getting Gael for almost a full year now and so far I haven't wavered in my decision on her sculpt. I've wavered on her aesthetic designs and wigs, but never the doll I'm getting.

14. How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      Not very often, to be honest. Every once in a while I'll see a mold that strikes me and I'll look at more owner photos, if I like what I see I'll add it to my list. It's really more of a guideline rather than 'I'm going to get these no matter what and in this order'. I'd like to get all of them, but I'm trying to be realistic XD;

I try to look at the dolls and think 'would they go with the others' or 'do I really want this'. Sometimes I'll fall for a sculpt's promo pics, but then I notice something I don't care for in the owner photos. I usually base the characters off of the sculpt instead of using pre-existing ones, so the whole "the character doesn't fit" isn't really a problem.

Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore?
      So far I haven't really had to save up for any of them :sweat I've saved up money for years so I had the money already available, and a lot of my resin-crew were gifts.

15. How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      They don't go on easily, but can come off more easily in comparison.

Well, it's usually something that I felt a bit ambivalent about anyway.
      My tastes tend to revolve, and I flip between realism and stylized dolls. I don't like to have a lot of dolls, and I don't have a regular income so it has to be something that survives the flip-flop on an ongoing/long-term basis.

Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this?
      Since I don't have a regular income I tend to have a revolving list and I buy what's available to me when the money is there, within reason. I don't tend to 'save'.
      Mood and caprice play a role, but I do my best work creating when my mood and the desired doll's availability happen to coincide, so I can't condemn myself too hard for it.

Raven

16. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?

Constantly...I'm very fickle about dolls. Often times if I decide one doll isn't going to 'work' I end up taking off 5 dolls because I get nit picky about one thing. On the flip side...I have the tendency to add dolls I 'like' but not necessarily love just yet. So I'll add a doll on my list, and then three days later its gone because the lust phase is over.

That's a list of things in itself. I have one rule/code I am trying to live by when collecting. That is not to exceed more than 20 dolls period. >w< I fit all of my major characters into those 20 spots and left a little room for random doll additions. So if I absolutely fall for a mold...I have that 'one in one out rule' If a doll goes off my list its probably because something prettier came along and took its place. xD Price is another factor if I realize the doll is very hard to find. In those cases I seek out a more obtainable mold for them.

YUP. Right before I bought my first doll. >>; I saved for an Iplehouse Soo Ri, and right when I was about $100 or so shy from him...I decided to buy a different doll instead. Somehow I realized I was eyeballing a different doll more and more, and felt my taste had started to change on me.

17. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist? The go on a fair amount, but rarely come off.

-What makes a doll go off your wishlist? Sometimes, I see one, fall in love with it and put it on the WL. But, after going through enough owner pictures, I decide it's just not the doll I fell in love with.
      -Have you ever saved up for a doll and then decided (before you bought it) that you didn't like it as much anymore? What was the reason for this? The one time I did do this, it was further research into the companies bodies. I was hard core in love with the face, and what the doll looked like IN clothes. But I really need a pretty body too. And I'm not yet comfortable with hybrids. So, I decided against it at the last minute, and ended up with my DZ Nina instead.

18. Right now several of the dolls I've got on my wish list aren't really what I want. Mostly because of size. 57-60cm dolls just seem a little too big to me right now. I've got to go trim that down soon, actually.

There's also price, availability and other things like that to consider.

19. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?
      It used to be all the time that I was adding them to the list, but for various reasons some have come off. I'm much more likely to add than to subtract! However, they're unlikely to translate into actual purchases. I know exactly which two doll bodies I want to complete my crew, and have to save up for them. Both are available for purchase at any time, which is seriously testing my patience *L*.

Some of the reasons are odd, such as the realization that if I made THIS character into a doll . . . THAT already dollified character would be miserable ^^;;;
      A major reason lately is that I'm running out of space as well as the time/money/attention span/what have you to get all the things I want for all the dolls I have. I do have a longer wishlist, but it is for the distant future when I have a more stable and larger abode!

I haven't gotten as far as saving up for a doll before changing my mind. There are few that I've removed from my wishlist because I didn't like them anymore - mostly I just realized they didn't fit any of my characters, or are for storylines I'm not going to buy dolls for at this point.

20. -How often do dolls go on and off your wishlist?

It's rare that they go off since it's now harder for them to appear on my wishlist in the first place.

After seeing a buttload of dolls come and go I've decided that giving it an extremely thorough research is the way to go before lusting after yet another pretty face I might not keep. That, and definitely only dolls for characters. It saves me a lot of time, money and angst. >_>

Multiple processes of elimination before deciding which ones go on and which ones might replace the ones on it.
      And by elimination... A lot of things... Maybe a certain angle I didn't notice before in promo pics but show up in owner pics, the proportion, poseability to a certain extent, if I find a doll that suits my character better, etc.

Nope, I tend to go through with my decision at that point UNLESS I find out something that truly turned me off the doll. Unfortunately, sometimes things I might not notice until I have that doll in hand...