1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in Fantasy Colors?

Oct 26, 2010

1. Just wondering everyone's views on dolls that are aren't a natural skin color. (like blue, pink, green, purple, etc.)

Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Would buying a colored doll depend on your doll's character?
      If you wanted a colored doll, would you ever try to dye him/her yourself?
      Do you feel that only fantasy-character dolls can pull off this look?

I've seen some dolls with colorful skin, and I personally thought that it looked pretty on some of them. Just want to see what other people think as well. :)

2. I don't have any but I'll take a hit at this
      1. Yes usually I like natural looking colors :)
      2. YES!! I am totally in love with some colored dolls ^^ There's a Dollmore boy somewhere around here who's all blue and stitched up (TOTES SORRY TO THE WOMAN WHO OWNS HIM I FORGOT YOUR NAME) But I love his paint job <3 I wanted one like him for a long time hurr.
      3. Yes I would definitely. I love doing stuff myself haha.
      4....Yeah. I mean you can get a blue boy and put him in normal clothes but it's still a blue person. IT's kinda bizzarre seeing as we don't have blue people IRL XD (Well.. there's medical conditions,but you get my point :P )

3. Haha, I agree! I feel like there would have to be some kind of story behind a person with blue skin, just as there would a doll with blue skin. :XD:

4. Not a fan of the colors for my own group, but I can understand that some people have storylines that call for these colors.

5. Usually, yes, probably, and usually.

So far mine are all normal shades, but I see that changing shortly. I also have had plans from the beginning for a Resinsoul/Bobobie tiny in blue. Those slim little ones are always fairies in my world, so fun colors are fun for them.

6. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, definately. All my yet-to-arrive boys are "normal" in color
      Unless the doll's character is really unique, otherwise I wouldn't get one with unique skin color which makes him hard to get along with the rest of the doll family.
      Big NO NO.
      I think so.

7. I've never been fond of colored dolls, personally. :sweat The first person I ever met who had BJDs had all of hers with elf-ears, purple skin and glitter all over their faces and certain body parts, like around the nipples or belly button.

That actually turned me off BJDs... I saw hers and figured all BJDs must be that way since all 22+ of hers were, it was kind of freaky, if I am to be totally honest. I get the same sort of feeling even now, years later, from colored dolls. I've seen a few elegant, beautiful ones. But more often than not they just don't appeal to me in any sense.

I prefer very natural looking dolls. Even for face-up colors, eye and hair colors. I could never see myself having a purple wig for any of my dolls, I prefer browns and blond shades, occasionally blacks and reds. My favorite colors of eyes are blue or brown as well, but I still like reds, purples and other unnatural colors.

8. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes. Either normal skin, or white skin is okay.
      No, i dont know why but i really hate colored dolls... it looks really weird and i feel like seeing a blue doll is like o.o" is that an avatar? or like with green it makes me think of them being sick.
      I dont want a colored doll but if i was going to make a fantasy type doll... I would never dye myself. 1 i dont know how and 2 im deathly afraid.
      Technically no, but if its modeled after like a certain character that has that certain skin, then i can accept it... but like if you want a fairy or something, white skin works and just like give them fairy tattoos or something.

*this is all opinion and i hope no one gets offended*

9. Just wondering everyone's views on dolls that are aren't a natural skin color. (like blue, pink, green, purple, etc.)

Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I do, but I wouldn't mind a doll with a unique skin color.

Not really.

Sure! If I knew how to dye a doll correctly I'd definatly do it. I probably wouldn't do that to a resin doll but I really want to try it on a Dollfie Dream or Obitsu doll.

Nah. I think you can have a "normal" doll with a different skin color. Doesn't always have to be fantasy oriented.:)

10. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I dont have a preference. It depends on what characters I'm wanting and I'll say all the characters I want in doll form have 'natural' (and chocolatey)skin tones

Yes. I have a character (who'll never make it to a doll as she's not a major one) who's pale blue so it wouldnt make sense for me to get a normal skin doll for her.

If I was desprate for a particular look or colour shade then most defiantly yes! If I was too scared I'd commission someone to do it.

Not at all! They pull it off WELL but it's not just them that can pull off the look.

I ADORE grey resin! If I had a character who had such a skin tone I'd get them regardless of if they fitted in or not!

11. There was a book by.. Mitch...Albom... ? Or someone I feel so terrible I can't remember the author :sweat but it was called the 5 People You Meet in Heaven, I think. There was a man who had turned blue from some metal poisoning...
      XD That's what I was thinking of, just had to say haha

12. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Not necessarily. My favorite skin tones are actually the pure whites and greys. For me, though, it really depends on the character I'm going for.

Definitely. Doll skin tone depends heavily on character - not just for the unusual ones, but the tans, normals, and whites as well.

Probably not. I'm not a big fan of the dying process, and I don't always like how it turns out.

I guess... It seems somehow elitist to admit that, but I can't see how a non-fantasy person could really pull of blue or green skin realistically. But then, if someone had a perfectly normal doll character, who also had an unusual doll skin tone, then that's wholly up to them. It's not for me to judge what's right or wrong with their doll. I mean, if they're happy with it, then who am I to say otherwise?

13. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Oh yes. I like to see colours on doll photos, but wouldn´t buy one in pink, blue, etc myself, I think. Except I do have a Bygg which is grey skin, but she´s so pretty I didn´t mind that much. I like tan and brown coloured dolls so much, but the natural looking ones. I have problems even with the white skin, as it seems sort of unnatural and fairy-like aside with NS doll.

It did. I got the Bygg in grey colour, and I´ve thought she´ll be sort of a snowflake fairy still though my other dolls are normal human children. But still I let her be together with other dolls. There´s already different sizes which aren´t totally realistic, so it´s not that big deal to me.

I wouldn´t dare to try in the case it would be a mess. But I´ve seen gorgeous home dyed dolls though!

In my case, yes.

14. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Depends on the make, really. I saw a really awesome blue centaur on a doll site this morning that I loved, and I constantly see white dolls that I find absolutely gorgeous because they look so delicate. However, some I do prefer a natural colour.

Not really, because characters usually come after purchase for me. I buy based on looks, not a story I've made up.

No way man D: Too expensive to mess up, which I know I would. Can you even do that? o.o

My personal interest says yes, but I suppose not necessarily. If they can pull it off then great, I'm not opposed to it.

15. I think some coloured dolls are very pretty, while others look a bit weird... but like any normal coloured doll, this is often to do with the styling, the way it is coloured and photographed, etc. rather than the actual doll itself.

I don't see myself owning a coloured doll, but I could see myself dying a doll a darker skin colour that isn't available in the sculpt I want.

16. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, I do prefer natural skin colors. I am having slight issues with white resins.
      If i was to buy a colored doll it would have to be dependent on the character. There would be no other way to do it for me.
      I would be far to worried to mess something up so I don't think I would ever dye a doll.
      I am not exactly sure how it could be pulled off any other way so yes. Aliens I am thinking are considered fantasy.

17. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      I don't really *prefer* it, it's just mostly worked out that the dolls I want have been more-or-less normal human skin colours and I haven't wanted to change them. I do love coloured dolls, but most of my characters are more human looking, so they're normal, white or tan skinned. Most of my vampires and demons and elves try to blend in with the human populace, and being brightly coloured would hinder that, I'm thinking.

Not necessarily. Usually the doll comes before the character, so I could (and have) come up with a character to fit the coloured doll not matter it's colour. My blue girl is a sprite, so being a colour that humans aren't suits her. It makes her a little more unusual and clearly inhuman, which works for her.

Yep, and I have, twice! I dyed my obitsu boy black (well, dark grey, really) and my hooved resinsoul boy red. One is a half demon who has black skin (inherited from his father) and the other is a fallen angel who's never out of his demon form. (Okay, *technically*, he's the spirit of a fallen angel inhabiting the body of a human host which he has taken over.) My blue girl came that colour-she's a Bobobie coloured resin doll.

eh, not necessarily. There's always the possibility of coming up with a reason for an otherwise normal human character to be oddly coloured. Being human shouldn't mean a character can't be blue or purple or orange if someone wants to make them that colour.

18. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      None of my OCs have unusual skin colouring, so none of my dolls do. It seems to be an unconscious preference, because I don't dislike fantasy dolls or colours really.

Yes, absolutely.

I have considered getting a doll and dying to a tan/brown shade, but I don't think I'd ever do it. It seems to be hard to get really good results from that.

Theoretically, no, but in most cases the reasons for truly unusual skin tones are going to put the character into at least urban fantasy or magical realism territory. I've seen grey resin dolls from Leeke and Soom (without the fantasy parts, too) look plenty cool in contemporary clothing.

19. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes -- not because I dislike the different colors that are available, but because the vast majority of my characters are human and therefore have normal skin colors.

Yes, they're just not the kind of characters I tend to have.

Possibly, if their was a particular sculpt that I really really wanted for that character that didn't come in that color.

I'm not sure if you mean dolls whose characters are fantasy types, or the dolls with fantasy parts. Human looking dolls can pull off that look absolutely, however, they are going to look more like fantasy or scifi characters rather than the average human.

20. Do you prefer natural looking skin colors for your doll?
      Yes, but I do love a doll in gray (if you call that a color) although I don't think I'd ever own one personally. I suppose gray is a fairly natural hue anyway. :P

Absolutely, I suppose that's always what end boils down to, unless it's one of those 'heat of the moment' buys... but those never last. lol

Nope. A couple of reasons: 1. Too chicken; 2. Not too fond of the outcome, although I've seen some really beautiful jobs; 3. I dislike how it wears off so easily.

Not really, surprisingly so. I kind of feel any doll can pull it off no matter what the back ground is as long as they have the character/personality to pull it off.