1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls in other languages

Dec 8, 2009

1. That's great! XD

And I like the word kukla. It sounds cute :)

2. This is an awesome term. I wish they were called Yorick in English as well! XD

3. Haha, when I visualized what "floating head" actually means I fell in love with the word. I imagine all the heads levitating around...

But Yorik is even more fun! I love it :love

4. Isabeau - that is just awesome. I might borrow that term and refer to my floaties as Yoricks from now on ;).

There were a few Germans already answering here, but I think we don´t have "aufziehen" or "spannen" for stringing yet.

5. yeah, never thought about a German term for restringing, yet. ^^
      Also in Germany we might just call resin BJDs "Kugelgelenkpuppen aus Kunstharz". I have to say I feel weird calling them that. ^^;
      Also when talking about them I can't use the German word Perücke for wig. Means the same but it's weird. I always think that my dolls are about 100 years old and loosing their hair so I had to get them wigs. *_* So I say Haare (hair) most of the time. ^^

6. Laoky, actually a friend and I´ve been jokingly calling the resins just that for a few years now :) - Kugelgelenkspuppen aus Kunstharz, sometimes topping it as Moderne Asiatische Kugelgelenkspuppen aus Kunstharz.

7. Eyeputty - "Ögongucka" in Swedish :aheartbea

8. Haiii oh wow this is fun XD XD
      I'm vainly attempting to learn German... and failing miserably, but anyway, does anyone just call them "puppen"? I know I've heard "puppenjungs" used before....

9. I find it very funny that they are called 'puppen' in German, because in Norwegian 'puppen' would basically mean 'the boob'. Haha.

10. Micà: :XD: Schmeiß mich weg! Do you by any chance know ManusDoll?

muzikluvr: Well, it can have the meaning of boy dolls but also dolly, cute-looking boys, bishounen or men (in my understanding) and I really had to giggle at that. ^^
      I just call them Dolls or BJDs, Puppen for me are for any doll except BJDs (barbies, etc) as one before me already said. ^^
      And you're learning German? Wow, if it wasn't my mother tongue I wouldn't even try. :sweat

"Ögongucka" is cute ^^

Ok, I'll avoid saying this word in Norway, then. :lol:

11. @Laoky oohhh I get it XD and it's funny that you said that, because I have a friend in Austria who said the same thing, that if it wasn't her mother tongue she wouldn't try haha... but I remain ambitious ;D Thanks for the clarification! <3

12. Does it? That's interesting. In the antique doll world, collectors use poupee for French lady dolls, and bébé for French child dolls. Of course for a long time there weren't any child dolls, not until the mid-1870s, and no actual baby dolls until even later.

I LOVE this!!!

13. :D:D
      nice topic:D

in Georgian doll is &#4311;&#4317;&#4335;&#4312;&#4316;&#4304; ( pronaunses like "tojina")

:D

14. ee, found the thread again, it was actually reading this that gave my incoming floaty head his name .. which is suppose to be tempoary but I'm getting quite fond of it ^.^;

15. It's been a while since i was last in touch with the Italian BJD comunity (banned and happy) but last time i checked everything was referred to with the english name. No italianized names or anything.

16. Okay in Estonian there really isn't enough people to create specific terms so most is in English. Some though:

Doll - nukk
      Wig - parukas
      Eyes - silmad

17. in my native indonesia language (it would be similar to malay/bahasa too i think?)
      doll=boneka
      wig=rambut palsu
      eyes=mata
      face up= dandan

and my local sundanese language (in indonesia, we have many regional languages too)
      eyes=panon
      wig=buuk palsu
      ball joint= sendi bal
      S hook= gantungan~

18. In swedich
      doll = docka
      wig = peruk
      eyes = ögon
      S hook= S krok

19. In the italian forum we use almost the same english terms for the doll items.
      With some exceptions ^^
      We are used to call the dolls with the italian name: bambola (doll), bambole (dolls).
      Eyes are occhi (occhio for eye)
      Sometimes we say trucco for make up but usually we use the english term face up ^^

20. Actually, I'm a bit curious about the origin of the word "faceup", because in Japanese I always see it as "meeku" - which just means "makeup". S-hook is "esu-kan." I can't remember what headplate is in Japanese, but many words are katakana-ized English (head, body, wig, eyes), yet the headcap seems to be referred to as a "futa" (lid).:sweat