1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls making you materialistic?

Aug 1, 2010

1. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Yes definitely, despite the fact that I've been trying to trim down stuff over the years.

If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?

It's one of the things I really dislike about the hobby actually. I've never been a fan of the "gotta have 'em all" mentality and the lure to complete sets and ideas is very strong.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I feel like it never ends. You get happy for a short time and then it fades as thoughts of acquiring the next doll pop up. It's one of the main reasons I've flirted with the idea of leaving the hobby.

2. I think the hobby has, if anything, strengthened my commitment to recycling. Old fabrics, crafts materials, ribbons, paints - all that is finds good use now, serving as little pieces of inspiration, prompting me to make more stuff rather than acquire.

3. Ooo, such an interesting topic~! You know, I HAD noticed this before, but only in passing, so I didn't think much about it. Now I can think!

- Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I've never been a terribly materialistic person, but the things I have, I love, and I'd hate to part with. Sentimental value, really. I never aquired a lot of "junk". But since I started playing with these dolls, I've found that I get a GREAT deal of joy out of finding things for THEM! New furniture, a perfectly sized prop, a scrap of fabric in the discount bin, a lovely set of buttons... even if I have no plans for them immediately. So, yes, I've grown more prone to snatch things up and carry them home, since I got into the hobby.

- If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?

Actually, a very positive one! Since I started accumulating "doll stuff", I've been more interactive with the dolls. That led to being more active in the online community, and becoming active in the local chapter. I love going to meets, and seeing other people and their dolls and "stuff". Having a hands-on, community-wide, interactive hobby has been really great for me, since normally I'm pretty much a lone-wolf-home-body! What's even better is that the more friends I make, the more I discover the different talents in the community, and I needn't look so far to find "stuff", because we can share what we already have!

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I don't even think it's the posession of the physical object that brings me happiness. It's sharing! Of course I enjoy being a doll owner (and even spoiling my dolls), but it's even more fun to share them, and my expieriences, with my doll friends! I've even brought them to work, and I love seeing my co-workers' interested faces as I bring them out, and let them hold and pose them. Some of them even talk to them. ;) And they're always impressed when I have something new to show them (moar stuff!), which makes it fun to GET and BRING more stuff to show them!

The experience is interactive. If I were the only person in the world with these dolls, I wouldn't love them nearly as much, because I wouldn't have people to share them with. All the cool doll stuff in the world isn't much fun to play with if you're the only one who can enjoy it!

4. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I have.

I'm conflicted about it, to be honest. But I'm coming from the perspective of someone with 1 other "buying stuff" hobby and several other less materialistic (and to be clear, I'm using that word neutrally, which I think the OP was as well, even though it can be loaded).

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I think this is the main source of my confict, actually - I can find just as much "happiness" in non-thing activities, so the balance feels tricky to me.

Those are all really good points, but those aren't the only paths that those hobbies can take either. I think there’s a distinction between collection hobbies and activity-based hobbies more than there’s a difference between BJDs (or dolls in general) and all other hobbies.

To use the same examples, a book lover (as opposed to a book collector) could use libraries and never create a collection at all. A person can just as easily be deeply into music but only express it by buying a single instrument and using it for decades on end socially - no cost beyond that first purchase. Or spending even less, they might just sing singing with a choir or even just with family - the love of music and devotion to the hobby are the same, but there's little-to-no cash involved and only a single item (and it's the items rather than the cash that make it material, after all).

A train or comic or antique collector of course has no way of not accumulating material things, but there are all kinds of hobbies that avoid it entirely. A runner can just run (some of them may collect race medals or shirts, but many don’t even race at all). A music fan might only attend live events and so might not accumulate anything but memories.

5. JennyNemesis I totally agree! I could never express it better !!
      -
      Wiske we live in a material world ,we of course have materialistic needs and wishes all needs and wishes are at a final inspection materialistic p.e. friends are from flesh and bones and not imaginary ones = material need the need for friends , p.e. material need to get out with them for coffee (you'll have to pay & get a real coffee)... some are more costly than others but all are matter (ύλη in greek) , even energy is matter.

I always encouraged my students (when I was teaching) to occupy with something creative in their free time than dreaming or gossip all day which is the only thing a person can have without involving any extra material or any cost..
      Educative - artistic materials, like my cuenca guitar , books , music-cd's , art , collections etc (art supplies are tools for me as painting is my metier ,my profession) I'm proud for wishing this matter , I'm proud to have those cultural needs/wishes (materialistic of course as everything). And I am proud to fulfill all necessities (as food/bills etc) *materialistic* & all my other wishes with money I earn from my work.

- Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes? - No
      - If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way? - n/a
      - Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy? - I can't even understand what you are trying to say here ,if one wish is not enough then try to fulfill all of them or the most important ones. Accomplishing my major aims or wishes for my life is of course automatically means happiness to me & I am capable to do it with all of them.

6. I have always been a person who likes finding and acquiring items. I used to be more impulsive, but I think that BJD have made me consider how I acquire things. I try to be less willing to buy any and everything because I'd rather use the money for a BJD or BJD-related things. So, I'm not more materialistic, just perhaps differently materialistic.

But then, I don't really see gathering things for creative endeavors to be materialistic. Finding material, sewing notions, stuff to make jewelry or furniture, or whatever it is seems more like cultivating the creative spirit than it does indulging a materialistic vein. There is no shame in making the hobby what you want it to be. People need outlets. :)

7. In the non-morally-loaded sense though, "materialism" is just a desire for possessions, so if you want things (be they dolls or craft supplies or whatever) then that's materialism.

That's brilliant! But it's also just not possible for everyone - it would be awesome if we could all get everything that we wish for in life, but I think it's fair to say that for most people life is about compromise and finding as much happiness as possible with as few regrets as possible.

General musing: I think the question of changing one's comfort level with different amounts of possessions (and the related issue of different levels of consumption) is an interesting one, but it's tricky because the words are so loaded. After all, it's clear that it's not simply an an all-or-nothing thing - everyone here is online, and so probably owns a computer (although of course some may be using public terminals) and either owns or is thinking of owning a doll (with a few exceptions, no doubt), so I don't think anyone is looking at it from the extreme of being a possession-free monk in a cave, after all!

8. This applies for me as well. I have a bunch of materials from a previous hobby that is now slowly minimizing with my current doll, and participating in swaps. Especially with the new sewing machine I have now I reconstruct old clothes and use the left overs to make stuff for dolls. When I was into the knitting hobby a few years ago I accumulated a lot of yarn and had leftovers that weren't enough to make anything really practical. Nowadays yarn I have left from knitting socks and garments can be used for my own dolls or other people's dolls. It also helped that in a knitting community I'm in there's a yarncycle to send people free leftover scrap yarn to help them finish projects or for charity/community use. I wonder if some fabric/sewing communities have this?

9. No, that list wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list of all the hobbies in the world. :lol:

That were just a few examples of non-doll hobbies that also have material & non-material components. The list was meant to illustrate that dollhobby is, at base, no different from others in terms of materialism. You can enjoy them all with or without lots of accessories-- however, materials ARE required for all those hobbies. (Especially dolls, them being a collectible hobby.)

But those ARE still materials. Regardless of whether or not a monetary cost is involved-- a reader still needs those materials.

(Further, I challenge you to find really good obscure indie-press books in a public library whose hours & collections keep getting reduced because of governmental budget-cuts. :P Don't get me started.)

But that single instrument IS a material item. A single instrument also costs money, even used. Even if you inherited it for free, it almost always comes with peripherals for care for & upkeep: Strings, reeds, cleaners, tuners, pickups, amps, fuses for amps, patch-cords, straps, holders, whatever it takes.

Friend of mine loves harp music more than just about anything, but she can't afford a harp of her own to play. She sometimes rents one. The love you have for the intangible side of your hobby, no matter how pure, doesn't always offer you a cost-free alternative.

And if you can't sing, say you're a bass player instead, shoo, this argument fails even faster.... i.e. "Don't tell me to stay home and chant Kum-Ba-Yah with my family when what I need is rock'n'roll". XD

I guess you have no idea how much concerts cost these days, either. ^^ No, sorry, even the memories come at a cost. At arenas, memories can run you $150, and at bars memories can come with a two-drink minimum. And if you want the t-shirt as a material memory, that's an extra $20-50.

Bottom line: Most activities that you think aren't "Thing-Related" actually are, so you can set yourself free about the dolls. If you're into a collectible hobby, your playtime will revolve around more material objects.

However just because somebody is really into objects, that doesn't mean that they're essentially greedy or shallow. Far from it! Loving your material goods doesn't mean that your entire happiness rests upon them. I think that's the stigma people are tripping over.

Another bottom line:

Yeah I thought so too - a "materialistic" person is more like someone who assigns values to themselves & others based upon their possessions. Likesay, the Joneses don't have a car that's as recent as yours, so therefore your life must be more successful & better than theirs. Whether the object is a necessity OR a frill, doesn't matter to the materialist, as long as theirs is better than yours.

10. Well Hervoyel if the 1st poster was like "I want every doll out there but I have not a penny left so I 'm worrying" , then I could agree with you but a person who gets grumpy for buying a dremel which can be used on house-repairs too , needles - fabric and some brushes & acrylic paints or pastels hell yes is looking like a monk you can find some decent fabric with 5€ the meter and Rembrandt series tubes start from 4,5€ to 12€ tubes (40ml) so we are talking about painting and dressing this doll which can be done decently with much less than 100€ and have much supplies be left over for next craft-art-projects ... a kg of cheese here costs about 12-20€ a simple kg of cheese to eat , believe me food nowadays is the most expensive thing .. to feed self for a month & this comes from a person who doesn't eat much (less than it should) is about 200€ the best, to feed a child is much more, add bills, family needs , clothing for family etc and living becomes a pursuit not easy at all … and yes 100€ maybe are not a tiny amount if you don't like the outlet you spent them on or simply you can’t afford them, but it is not the end of the world either and surely is not a huge amount...

As a book fanatic I can say to you that even libraries want you to pay a price each month , 2nd when I want to read a book I don't seek every crappy novel or idiotic reading gets in front of me I want to read some specific things which might not be/usually are not in a library , 3rd a book fanatic want to read and re-read and re-read the book especially if it is a science book I would like to own it because every time I'd wanted to seek into it for something ... of course a "whatever" reader could use this option ... But most serious readers are not like that if a book is of their taste they'll finally buy it even if they had already read it to the local library.
      A person who like books doesn't read whatever books ... seeks for specific kinds of books ,check them and gets the ones he/she likes , a person who likes listening to music seeks for specific kind of music cd's/lp's- albums check them and gets the ones he/she likes in a quality form which gives the best sound... etc … I personally would like some better libraries for everyone's convenience plus every person to have also a personal library at home with books of his/her preference I think this is a right for every person, as education is also ... but this is also Off-Topic

Plus I can say to you as a guitarist , around the music example you used that except maybe piano no other instrument lives so many years , guitars are effected by humidity & after some years start to get "old" if someone cares for music (cares to play nice music) has 1st to buy equipment so to protect his instrument from humidity & get a new one when the previous one start to warp (if he has not the equipment the instrument lives less - using and spending for equipment makes the instrument live longer) , upgrade his instrument when his ability increases , buy books with theory & partituras (scores) to learn , change strings every 3 months (or sooner depends of how often plays) of course getting a cheap guitar and play in a crappy way at a beach is an option but as a guitarist I could never call such a think music or love for music maybe absolute hate for music... those people simply kill music with their hideous coarse-beach-chording… they may enjoy it but this doesn’t make it music

There is none to tell how much a person willing to pay for a hobby at the end of the day if you don't enjoy it even a cent is too much but getting grumpy over some fabric and acrylics while has already bought a doll of 140€ is sorry ridiculous ...

Consumption and consumerism is another thing and materialism is another thing ... Materialism is a philosophical/scientific theory , consumption is getting products , over-consumption is when you get more products than you will finally use and then those products end up thrown away ... the only bad of those is over-consumption...
      Morality issues when connected with when consumption becomes over-consumption have their threads already , morality issues about material needs/wishes in general are getting to monk side a priori as material is everything surround us ... Materialistic is every need /wish as everything in universe is material.

Thank you , although I never said I could get everything I wish like the princess of a fairytale , I wish logical things and work hard to accomplish them ... I produce and work & try to accomplish whatever I need , I said about major aims/wishes in my life and I when I say choose some major/basic aims I already settled a compromising of course the aims/wishes have to be a bit realistic, my basic aims and wishes are about a decent salary & a nice life with friends and family I choose , both material needs as my friends are all from flesh and bones ,plus to keep my pride & standards in life-music-culture etc etc equally material need as I am from flesh & bones etc... & I already have settled my compromising without much grumping and drama in that ... and I have accomplished a part of the most basic things for me so ok happiness is here and can be better I believe (p.e. yes there are more things I wish and political views I have , social beliefs etc and I every day try to accomplish more aims etc etc but we already got much Off-Topic)
      and yes some people are more unlucky than that and have no work or friends etc or have work but still too little money even to live decently, still the problem is not in the dolls but to the lack of those things. In any case problem is not the one wish accomplished but the fact that all the rest basic wishes are not accomplished yet ... and so OT to this foroum and I could talk about such everyday problems and give my opinion to another place but not in a doll foroum. At the end I truly couldn't understand why some art supplies could either bring or spoil one's happiness ... Wiske if it is to use them & like them & can afford them buy them , if not keep the money and use them otherwise in a way that brings you more satisfaction. end of story.

I'll say only one last thing here in this thread cause the thread becomes too religious spirited for my taste ...
      I find nothing wrong in materialism, everything in this world is material, every need is materialistic and this is already told to my post here
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?388546-Dolls-making-you-materialistic&p=6688435&viewfull=1#post6688435
      culture and education are considered by me human rights , people who despise materialistic wishes fundamentally & so much as the original poster, usually end to a monastery for true ... piteous to say but true.
      There are wishes of people which are irrational and a small part highly irrational especially if they get feed by others' work , but most people's wishes are not only rational but their-right ,as the production abilities of the world nowardays could support work,salary,health,basic needs covered-food-house,education,culture,music,books etc etc for everyone (and as we still are in a doll foroum I could say collections also but as someone may decide to collect cars ...I'll say collections in realistic terms also) but now I'll shout my mouth here cause I'll become seriously Off-Topic ...
      As for me I use the philosophical term materialism as it is & I am a materialist a dialectical one. people with no material needs are only the dead ones and a bunch of art supplies shouldn’t even be a theme to debate.

11. No, I've been to plenty of concerts lately, but my point wasn't that memories are free. Even if the tickets are $200+ it's not cost that makes materialism since there's no object to acquire. It's consumerism to buy the ticket, but it's not materialism because you don't actually have anything material at the end - buying overpriced food and drinks is the same. You're consuming, but because you eat/drink what you pay for, there's no build-up of goods. Of course you're right that buying the shirt gets back into collecting, but only a fraction of concert-goers do so that's more a separate sub-demographic (band shirt collectors) rather than a fact that defines concert goers.

Anyway, that goes to the instrument thing too - spending money on upkeep just makes you a consumer of those services, once your piano is tuned you don't actually own any additional items. You consumed a service and spent money on it, but that's it - there's nothing beyond the original instrument in your possession in the end.

It depends where you live - I'm currently in a city that links two larger ones, and I can find almost anything in an least one of those three library systems (no fees either, to answer Anges-Agatha's point as well), but I know that's not true of everyplace and I didn't mean to imply that it might be - just that it's not an absolute that a book-lover must own a collection.

Obviously. Which is why the OP was fairly clear in their use of the word "more" - it's a more a continuum than an either-or proposition, no? ;) I'm joking, but I think we agree more than we disagree here!

Anyway, to be more clear, since apparently I wasn't: I have a pile of dolls (I also have piles of comic books for that matter). I don't see anything wrong with wanting/buying/storing that stuff, so I'm not trying to argue that there's some moral superiority to non-thing-based hobbies - I was just trying to suggest that the more/less materialistic question of the OP is more interesting and broader reaching than the either/or question - after all, an either/or discussion would go the way of all those "Is it wrong" questions where the answer is nearly always "No" without question. Separating consumer behaviour from materialistic behaviour (buying things/services/experiences versus owning things) makes it more interesting, but I can see how the loadedness (is that even a word? Let's pretend it is! ;)) of both of those words makes it sound more like a moral arguement than a debate about what BJDs (or collection-based hobbies in general) do to a person's attitude toward the acqusition of stuff in general.

Heh, me too. Me too! :o

12. Except you also have gadget-head musician types. They are still in it for the love of the music, of course, but they just really really really love and thrive on the peripherals. Especially guitar guys! ^^ It's like some doll-collectors with eyeballs, wigs, or shoes-- like me, whose shoe-collection is putting DollHeart's kids through college. The love of collecting, researching, acquiring these items doesn't negate the (if you will) 'pure' love for the music, or for the doll itself, or what-have-you.

I think we are on the same page after all there - Even if you are a constant consumer, it doesn't necessarily make you a materialist.

(Also... once your piano is tuned, it still wants to constantly go out of tune. My mom pays a guy to come in every 2-3 months. XD Seriously, it just never ends.)

Of course! I think we're both on the same page there too. (For once, a debate question that's not just "is this OK?") And that's why I'm illustrating these things that are on a continuum-- one can employ/enjoy the material aspects of a hobby without changing one's values system (i.e. becoming overly materialistic).

It is good for people to think about it, anyway. Like, to examine just HOW much of their happiness is/isn't caught up in their acquisitions; even I sometimes look at the wig-pile and say "OK, no, it's time for a break from wigs for awhile". ;;^^

13. OT, but since you threw down the gauntlet...

My library system (Portland, OR) has plenty of books put out by independent presses. It's all about what the community asks for, and my community asks for a lot, making the system the most used per capita in the nation. Hours are still getting cut, though... :(

I agree, though that any hobby has its materialistic side. It's all about how you approach the hobby and what you want to get out of it. One might think being a nature lover would be as non materialistic as it gets-- and it can be-- but look at the catalogs for outfitters, binocular manufacturers and nature tours. The sky's the limit-- if you want to go in that direction.

For me, being funds-limited helps me not to focus on the materialistic side of this hobby (although if I were rich it would be a different story). It forces me to look for creative ways to get or make the props and clothes my guys need. And it reminds me that my goal in this hobby is not to acquire the most stuff, but to appreciate the beauty these dolls bring into my life.

14. I'm already fairly materialistic... :lol: I've always been a packrat, and I've collected dolls for a long time. However, BJDs are new for me. I wouldn't say they've made me any more materialistic than I already am.

It's really neither positive nor negative for me. It's just the way I am, and I don't think I can change it. I could certainly be more frugal, but I'll still want stuff! As to whether buying things makes me happy? Well, yes. It does. It's certainly not my one joy in life, but it can make me pretty happy.

15. I don't comment to much on topics here but I don't think that BJD's cause anyone to change personality. Buying a BJD does not make you trade in your old car for a new Mercedes or move from were you live to a higher class neighborhood. This forum is primarily for a class of BJD's and I enjoy reading and viewing what is displayed hear but I have Obitsue dolls, some Hujoo, and Barbies and and some thrift store adoptions. I feel that I am just as much a BJD collector as someone who buys a Volks or Soom, I just like these types. As long as you make sure life keeps going on and bills and family are taken care of there is nothing wrong...., but if you feel guilty then you need to talk to someone and reflect how your life is changing because of the Hobby.

16. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Oh my GOD yes... I am an extremely frugal person. I can live off steam I tells ya! After I had to move my massive collections of crap a few times, I decided it was useless, didn't make me happy, and took up too much space. I got rid of ALL of it.

The things I cherish now are items passed down to me through family (sentimental value, not to be confused with materialistic value.)

I think the confusion with this topic comes from people taking the term "materialistic" too literally. In the general sense it's seen as a negative because when someone is "materialistic" it implies that they value materials more than sentiment. Money more than friends/family, etc. It becomes a negative term simply because, in the general sense, it implies that someone has no respect for things outside of the material value of the object. The things I always treasured most in my life were things that only hold sentimental value, things I inherited from family, rarely anything that was worth any real money. When I was a teenager I was in a phase of "must buy to be happy" (like most teenagers really) but I've dumped that load.

But then I discovered BJDs. Now I have a collection of dolls worth THOUSANDS of dollars and it makes me paranoid about them and I only ever want MORE. It drives me nuts because they are pretty little things but they are also new, hold no history, no sentiment, no key that unlocks a mystery to my heart or my family.

For me it's two-sided. I enjoy the artistic outlet I get, which doesn't have the bite of "materialistic" in the common use of the word. Artistic outlet has a non-material value to me because I strive to be creative, and to produce things that can be enjoyed. The downside is that I've spent more money on dolls than almost anything else ever in my life. My university education cost me less money than my doll collection (!?) It gives me an incredible epic feeling of guilt and that I'm being spoiled. If it weren't for the fact that I inherited my money, there's no way I ever would have bought one. I feel like I am beeing wasteful with the money that took my family generations to accumulate... On the one hand it makes me happy and I enjoy them, on the other hand if I never knew they existed, I would enjoy something less materialistic just as much and save a lot of money in the process. Just because I spent a fortune on dolls doesn't mean I would automatically find something else just as expensive to spend my money on--I'm not that kinda person.

Accomplishment always offers a sense of success/happiness. Graduating university Summa *** Laude was a big one for me, getting a job at a major video game publisher was another huge accomplishment for me, getting married yet another. None of these things are in themselves "materialistic" in the common use of the word because they are achieving personal goals that don't revolve around spending money and acquiring materials. It's all about bettering myself as a person and my life. I never felt like I needed *more* after I accomplished these goals. I don't feel like I need more education or need to get... more married, however that might work. With something materialistic like doll-collecting, I feel like I can always get more, because there are always more dolls being designed and released, more ideas to be indulged in resin form, and more cute outfits, shoes, wigs, and eyes to experiment with. Dolls never end! I don't feel that same sense of accomplishment when I buy a new doll as when I actually achieve something to give myself or my family a better life.

17. I don't know a lot of activity based hobbies that I'm into seem to end up accumulating quite a few things. I positively adore vegetable gardening and unless you plan to save seeds from your own vegetables (which has its own pitfalls) every year you're likely to need to replace things, and then you find yourself wondering "wouldn't it be fun to try royal velvet beans or dragon's tongue, maybe I want to try Stupice Tomatoes" And before you know it you're dreaming of a green house. Vegetable gardening is an activity based hobby, but also has you wanting to accumulate new things.

The same is true for someone who owns an instrument. You don't just need a working piano, you need the sheet music to play, or the blank sheets to write your own music And once you master a particular sheet music book, you want to try another one. They ted to be things you want to buy because many people like to write fingering in their books or other notes about the pieces of music.

Both of the above hobbies are not simply about accumulating but it's a bit false to say that neither cause any sort of accumulation of goods or material desires.

- Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I don't think I'm any more materialistic than I use to be, but then dolls are not my most expensive hobby nor are they the hobby I enjoy the most. That honor goes to the very activity based hobby on visiting Japan XD;

Though with the dolls themselves I tend to get to a point where I feel like I just have too much and I start rethinking my dolls and selling things. There are plenty of dolls I like or might even love in theory but for whatever reason have also decided I do not need to own.

- If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way? n/a

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

Accomplishing any of my wishes tends to make me happy, how long the happiness lasts depends on the wish XD; Though in general ones related to dolls are much more fleeting than some of my other wishes.

18. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      sorta. >.>;; i'm even more obssessed with money than ever. its really getting scary xD
      and thats because i always want more doll and accessories for them!

negative. as i said, its scary
      only positive thing is that now i have a real reason to go to art shops and i really like going there and see all the stuff they have :)

not really... it doesnt affect my mood wether i get it or not, but i always want more!

19. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes? I'm not really materialistic but I do have a passion for a couple of things and I can afford to satisfy that. I don't overboard with spending and only buy when I can afford.
      If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way? I pay for these things when I can afford them. I don't use credit so to me my spending habits are positive.
      Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy? Once of my biggest loves are Persian rugs, but I got one and don't need another. It's a fantastic rug and has fulfilled what is basically a lifetime wish. People can have their fancy clothes, cars, houses, whatever. I have my Persian rug thank you very much. lol

20. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      I've always been materialistic to an extent. But who hasn't? We all want something.
      Its a good thing and a bad thing. We want, therefore we get, sometimes this in a small way, it does make you happy. Even if you don't realize it. But, It's bad because when we are materialistic we strive for more, depending on who you are this can run your poor wallet into the ground. Some people don't take it to the extreme and know when to stop but some people over do it and find themselves in deep trouble.
      I feel that accomplishing one of my wishes does make me happy. I'm one of the people that believes money does make you happy, at least to an extent. You are much happier when you have enough money to do what you enjoy and still have money for necessities. I do need more sometimes to be happy. I am happy when I feel that if my doll was real, she would be happy..and I as a person always want something, even if its a necessity, so naturally, I feel I should buy more to make myself and my doll "happy".