1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls making you materialistic?

Aug 1, 2010

1. Not much different for me given that I REALLY want shiny cars and other shiny things. And I have tons of other toys and books and art supplies and other "research" materials just from working as an artist. BJDs are just another drop in the bucket for me.

I think for me, my happiness swells when I get something and then contracts once I become used to the item. The initial swell is much longer lasting and comes back in bursts if it's an item I've wanted for a long time. If it's something I impulse bought then it's a faster cycle and I usually end up getting rid of the item because of clutter/realization that I never really needed or wanted it. Generally though, my overall happiness is pretty separate from the items I own - I'm much happier when I accomplish my personal goals or have a great experience with friends/family/work/etc.

2. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes
      Not really. If anything, I've probably become less materialistic in things not BJD related. Like, things I thought I really wanted before I've decided that I don't want enough to buy because I'm saving for a new doll. I don't need that eight dollar adorable cell charm, I can put that money in the piggy bank for the dolls XD
      - If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?
      I think it's pretty positive for me, actually. The dolls are making me really look at money and what I spend it on, so I can make wise choices regarding what I buy while also stowing money away for more dolls/doll stuff.
      - Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?
      I think I'll be pretty happy with the necessities (food, shelter, the like) so right now I'm happy as a clam :) The only things I really want 'more' of are the dolls, but I also know that I don't need them 'naoplz', so I've reached a sort of zen balance with my dollie materialism and reality.

3. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Oh, yes. But then again, i've always been materialistic, but just not this much as now. Ever since I got into BJDs, i've been wanting things like fabric, foam, a sewing machine, beads, thread, all that stuff!
      If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?
      Positive. I've learned not to get mad at things I can't get right away, as i'll end up getting it somewhere in the future, just not now.
      Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?
      Well, it really depends for me. If it's materials for crafts, then i'll get my happiness when the project is done and it looks the way I want it to (not to mention some proudness). If it's just straight up things, like clothes from barbies (as an example, they fit 27cm BBBs), i'll get my happiness if it works the way I want too.

4. You completely hit the mark... I used to be a very unselfish person when it came to materialistic things and I would refuse to buy anything that i didnt NEED. upon the discovery of the abjds... I became very greedy. And once you get one, the desires increase and you just need more... this is horrible. Because im a Christian and if this starts to get in the way of my beliefs and it becomes more important to me than God, im going to have to pray for like 3000000 hours... TT_TT

the whole point is you just have to keep it under control. Just dont overly obsess over it and learn to control the greed i guess. Unlike most other people here, i still think "wanting things" blindly is wrong... as long as the greed doesnt grow into something like "gotta buy every doll in the world and then buy 1000 outfits for them" its all good. People want things anyway. Its how our minds work. Ugh, i just had the impression im evangelizing. Topic switch before i go off on Christian mode... Aaaaanywaaay, just control the urge and i guess its okay.

although im a bit of a self hating person and im starting to feel disgusted at myself at becoming so materialistic... i mean i still love them and i want to love the dolls... i just think im getting too into it. which isnt bad but mine is in a bad way. Im starting to forget to live my life... and i prefer them to real human people... nvm. im talking too much. ^^"

5. With everything, you need balance. If you become overly obsessed with something to the point that you cut off everyone then something needs to be done. However, everybody's balance is different. And knowing it is what is important. I can be pretty materialistic, but I find nothing wrong with it. I accept the fact I am only human, and this is what I like, and will always be like. I like luxury, and have no problem with liking it at all. I know what I want, I know what I like, and if I have the money to spend on it, then why not indulge my passions? Why should I stop what I like, even though I have the money to spend it on? You only have a limited time on earth. So if you have a passion, a hobby etc, as long as you truly want it, what is the harm? Then again, I am also quite greedy and cautious about what I buy. I carefully select what I buy and have no problem with spoiling myself, as well as others. I seem to have expensive taste in some areas, but I will not settle for less because I know I will regret it. When making big purchases I think before I spend. I do not want to waste my money on something I will regret. I do try to balance the physical with the spiritual too. Too much physical will cut you off from your spirituality, while too much spirituality will cut you off from the physical. In everything you need to know your own balance and find it. Some may find being materialistic a lower emotion, a lower moral, but I accept that part of me, and find nothing wrong with it. I am not harming others or myself, so why not? Indulge yourself once in a while. Everyone deserves it. :)

6. You were making me really sad until you hit this point. Not because I think greed is great (we have entirety too much of it in our world) but because, well, the essence of Christianity -- as expressed by its "founder" -- has always appeared to me to be kindness, tolerance, understanding, and care of each other. If you are going to be that for others, you have got to be that for yourself first. :)

As you say, it is the way we work to want things. If we didn't, we would never have survived as living things. I've always been amazed at the extreme vitriol surrounding the term "self-centered." Think about it -- how else CAN you experience the world except through the one and only set of synapses you were born with?? You can make a reasonable guess at what it's like to be someone else or someTHING else but never, ever will you experience it. A certain degree of self-centeredness and greed is simply built in as a survival mechanism.

Do we automatically care for others? Heck no. To borrow a phrase from South Pacific, "you've got to be carefully taught."

In this hobby I've seen people like you, who worry about themselves going overboard but still obviously are very centered (in the good sense) as well as those whose greed has taken over their sense of right and wrong -- and common sense, if they ever had any to begin with. ninjalovergirl put her finger on it. We all need balance.

I suspect it would be easy to look at my list of dolls and say "oh SHE'S gotten materialistic!" Maybe so. I never used to keep lists, though, of say, stuffed animals, or records, or books, or Trollz dolls or any of the other "toys" I've collected in my life. It's just that the "materials" in this hobby are different and lend themselves to public display in a way other aspects of life don't. I spend my free money, such as it is, on these things rather than others -- but having shared our home with someone who had nowhere else to go, for about ten years -- I guess being a little materialstic doesn't bother me that much.

7. It doesn't have to interfere with your beliefs -- wanting to spend money on a hobby is not mutually exclusive of spirituality. I would also say, that often those desires do actually have a limit. You find it as you go along, and there will be times when you'll genuinely need to focus on other things besides dolls too. I take it you're new to the hobby? Things do calm down and even out after a time. You start to figure out what you do really want and gain more focus.

Nah, everyone has limits either in terms of hobby money, space, time etc. I would say that wanting things isn't wrong -- as you said, it's part of being human. There are ethical and unethical ways in which to obtain things, and some decisions have better outcomes than others. But merely wanting something is pretty normal. You can drive yourself nuts trying to hold yourself to an impossible standard, or you can give yourself a bit of a break and realize that you're merely being human.

If you feel the need to step back a bit, you always have that option -- or maybe you need to schedule specific hobby time so you have time for other things too? But, I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. It's good to be well rounded and have a variety of interests (I have other hobbies than dolls too), but simply wanting dolls and enjoying and wanting to spend time doing hobby related things is not in my mind being overly materialistic. If you're worried that you aren't spending enough time with real people, you can also see if there are any meetups around your area. I'm a very shy person, but I find myself really enjoying the social aspects of the hobby, and it's given me the chance to meet some really neat people.

One of the things I love about the hobby is how creative it is -- creativity is so important, and sometimes undervalued in our society, so to me, abjds are particularly worth the effort and expense.

8. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Only a slight increase because if I see a doll I try get it before it sells out so I'm always spending it seems; on the other hand I've always been materialistic and unashamedly so! I love having beautiful things whether that is a tiny flower plucked from my granny's peach tree, a pearl necklace or an Iplehouse Kamau.

- If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way? Positive. Owning beautiful things makes me happy, and the dolls inspire my writing so they are very beneficial to me. I find I work harder when I have my eye on a potential purchase (so I would go to work rather than skive off to watch the football if I saw Soom Beryl was up for sale in a few weeks ;P ). Any negativity connected to my materialism has come from other people too bitter, resentful, scared or witless to improve their own life, or from people convinced that all you need to be happy is "love" (Saint John Lennon was a millionaire) or some religious ideal of contentment in material poverty and mediocrity (I'm not bashing religion here, I'm stating my own experience)

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy? It makes me happier, for definite but then I think about what else I could achieve. I don't think that's materialistic as such, it's just pushing boundaries and using the imagination and natual human curiosity. For instance, I could buy my pearl necklace but then after admiring it I would think about where I could wear it, that could lead on an amazing adventure with a dream outcome. Why stop at just owning the necklace when you can go out and live like the kind of person who owns pearl necklaces?

9. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Not really. I've been cosplaying for a while, and it's always been a case of "Oh, that fabric is gorgeous! I want it! I'm sure I can think of something to do with it after I buy it!" I think it's just a case of being passionate about something. But because it's a new hobby it stands out more. You might find yourself becoming less aware of it as you grow used to it. For example, spending huge amounts of fabric is now part of my daily life. As long as I keep track of my money I don't over buy.

Well, as long as I'm careful I don't spend too much. And I'm always so happy when my stuff comes in! I love opening boxes addressed to me. So as long as I'm careful I can have tons of fun.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I've always thought of my wishes as being the actually crafting/sewing and knowing that I did it all by myself. Buying materials is just one of the steps. Successfully making an outfit or a prop does increase my happiness; it makes me proud of myself. In fact, I used to have scarily low self-esteem and depression problems, but once I started sewing it cleared up and now my pride is solid enough to bounce rocks off of (not necessarily a good thing?). So... It does bring me happiness, but when I'm thinking of more, I'm thinking of more stuff I can do, not more stuff to buy (which is just a side effect).

10. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Of course, with any new hobby there are always going to be "i wants". it's Human nature to want things. I'm sure back in the ye old stone age days they wanted nicer pelts and bigger rocks, or maybe that freaky looking bird to sit in their cave and irritate their significant other to death.
      This is a very demanding hobby, and i don't see how things such as faceup supplies are necessarily in the materialistic category as i find such things to fall more under the basic maintenance necessity category.

Definitely positive. I love having creative outlets and this is a very creative hobby.

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

Of course accomplishing something makes me happy. It's a mini victory on the part of the person. But for sure, there will always be something more, something else that you need to chase. It's perfectly natural to feel that after your new bout of happiness wears off that something new will perk you up again. We grow as people. Part of growing is developing new tastes and interests. That usually involves wanting something else down the road.

That being said the definition of materialism is putting objects and possessions over people, like your friends and family. Wanting new things for your dolls and things to improve the appearance/customize ability of your doll DOES NOT make you materialistic. It is just expanding on the hobby, and with such an endless array of things you can do, is something that is bound to happen sooner or later.

When you start putting these things above your friends, family, and consideration of living beings, then you can be classified as materialistic. So if this is something you are genuinely worried about just ask your self one simple questions: Do my dolls and this hobby mean more to me then the people i care for?
      If your answer is no, don't worry about it and just enjoy them.
      If your answer is yes, then you can start worrying/feeling guilty that your adapting towards materialism.

11. Let me put it that way...I've spend on dolls more money this year than i earn annually. Paradox i know.
      Doll make me want more dolls and more pretty shiny things -_-

12. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      I don't think it has, really. I think if BJDs as like my own children and when I have them, I fill their needs so that they will not be left neglected. Having the BJD is like having a responsibility, and by accepting that responsibility you are required to take care of it by having to spend more money. Because they are like children, they NEED to be restrung, they NEED to be cleaned and have new face ups, they NEED clothes and shoes, they NEED a wig... etc, etc. They're very needy; just like kids are very needy.

Now I'm not saying I'm not becoming any more materialistic, no way, definitely not. For instance, I'll see a cute outfit on Fairyland I want to buy for my BJD, then I'll just point at my computer screen and burst out with every syllable emphasized: "WA-N-T!!" So in reality, I may be more materialistic because I'll want/need all these things to take care of my resin babies. But I don't think it makes me greedy.

I think it's more of a positive thing. Because I'm learning to be responsible, to take care of the doll like my own child--heck, like a pet even, if you think of it that way (or if the BJD thinks YOU'RE the pet then I dunno what to call it then! lol) But it's never something I would consider being greedy.
      Unless you were out to make money with the dolls in the first place, then good for you too! Sure, it's greedy, but it's ambition too!

I actually think to accomplish something makes me very happy. Accomplishing one of my goals means that I have just one less bucket dream to deal with. And it's not as if I NEED more per se, but I'm simply moving on to the next goal in that direction. It's all aimed toward one common goal to achieve a fulfilling happiness... or just to be content after all. ;D

13. Yes to this. I seem to be manic with hobbies. I'm always needing new clothes or wigs, fabric or other materials. And if it's not that I'm wanting more dolls. I makes me feel really bad sometimes. And I can relate with :

"The strangest thing is that it seems to be connected to my happiness - like I will be happier if I have those things. Which of course I won't be, I probably will think of something new that will make me happier. Though the doll itself does bring me a lot of happiness."

It seems when I'm having doll related cravings that they are the ultimate road to happiness. And my dolls do make me really happy! I love to get clothes and things in the mail for them and spoil them, but it can become obsessive sometimes.
      When it gets too hardcore for me I try to dive into some of my other hobbies for time-out and relief from feeling materialistic and selfish. 0_0

14. I always have been materialistic {and spoiled XD}

Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      There's no hobby on earth, that I know of, that doesn't require you to buy anything. When I was little I collect dolls, paper dolls and Polly Pockets. I feel that I want to have every single Barbie, Betty Sphagetti, paper dolls and those tiny houses of Polly. Then enter high school, I found where to buy manga and anime dvds, learned about conventions and cosplay so there my money went. Come college, BJDs showed up so i'm back to dolls.

Materialistic "wishes", yes though when it comes to the actual buying {you have money and you're there and so is the item} I think that i'm not. In my day dreaming {wishing} I tend to be extravagant but in reality, I try my best to buy what I think is the best for that moment. I try to fix my mind set that of what I can currently afford w/o sacrificing my needs and what I can not.

50-50
      Negative because I tend to want to gain what I have in my plans in a flip of a coin.
      Positive because my creative juices is work.

My true happiness doesn't lie on material things but in God. :3 But yeah, it's nice to have something to cherish.

15. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Yes, definitely... it's like having a child who will require food, clothing and tuition ofr school later on ^^

I don't think it is bad, it really depends on the approach, you can be materialistic in a good way,
      if you know you have the ability to have what you want then go, but if you think you can't and still pursue it then I think that is someting obsessive-compulsive kind of attitude

Yes, doing things for my dolls (also for myself too*) makes me happy, and yeah as a human we don't stop needing or desiring for things, even if I am not into dolls, I will surely crave or desire one thing or another :)

16. Wanting things you don't need doesn't make you materialistic- no matter how much they cost. Not everyone needs to have a car, or a house versus an apartment- you get those things because you can, and because they make you happy. End of story. I certainly do spend more since I've gotten into dolls, but that doesn't make me materialistic. Having hobbies is healthy, and while they do cost money, they're also worth money in some cases (especially this hobby) and there's nothing wrong with that.

17. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Sort of, but not really. Being materialistic implies that your happiness and self worth comes from owning things. Just owning those things does not in and of itself make you materialistic.
      I'm in the same boat, where owning a BJD makes me want to try a lot of new crafts. However there's plenty I've tried as well that were completely unrelated to BJD, simply because I didn't know of them at the time. Now I specifically try to gear my crafting towards stuff that can be used in related to my doll.

A positive way, if at all. I'm more geared towards learning new skills and trying new things, which I don't think really think falls under the category of materialism. Half the time I never finish a project.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy? For me, it's the journey that makes me happy. As I mentioned above, I don't finish half my projects. For me the fun is is learning, and doing. Yes, I'm really happy when I do successfully finish something, but I'm happiest when I'm picking up the next new skill.

18. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Nope, this is me by nature. I love finding goodies for my hobbies.

19. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Sorta I am a bit more materialistic but only with dolls.

Positive. BEfore this hobby and i started sewing and doing wood work. I didn't really Have anything i just sat around on teh computer or watching tv. this hobby made me get outside and do things. Made more freinds so i have things to do now. So i think it is a positive way.

20. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      No. I have always seen the materials needed for creative output as just that. Now if I had to get the most pricey material because it was the most pricey, then yes, but wanting to learn to do things is not materialistic, it is the search for knowledge, which is never wrong.
      I would say in the way that YOU are experiencing it, it would be possitive as long as you stay within your budget.
      I'm not sure. Can one happy moment really be compared to another? If I finish making a pair of dolly pants, yes, it will give me satisfaction and even a moment of happiness, not to mention the happiness the act of sewing itself brings me, but then if I start wishing to make say, a shirt, does the level of happiness that brings nul the pants happiness, or is it just a new feeling of happy on a happy time line? I do imagine humans do always long for more, but is that wrong? To strive to improve? No, I do not need more to be happy, I just seek out happy spots on my time line.