1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls making you materialistic?

Aug 1, 2010

1. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Not particularly. I've always been into video games, reading, art. All of those require the supplies to make it happen. When I finish a book, I need a new one. My art set would be -that much- better with that conte. Upgrading my DSi to the 3DS would make me happy. Dolls are just another venue for it, although here, like with the art, it actually can have positive skill building in the form of sewing, sculpting, styling, etc. Those are marketable skills. So it really doesn't bother me at all...

- If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?
      Positive. While their care is expensive if you pay others to do it, learning to do it yourself gives you skills you can use in life.

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?
      Anything makes me happy. Buying a new Sims expansion pack makes me happy. Sitting outside and listening to the birds chirp also makes me happy. I don't discriminate ^^

2. I can relate to this very well. I am not really a materialistic person, so I definitely notice the acute change that being into BJDs causes.

To me, being "materialistic" means being in a headspace where you rely on material goods to bring you happiness, and where you value yourself and sometimes others on the material items owned. When I am thinking about dolls a lot, I tend to be unhappier because there is so much I cannot have. In this way, I think this hobby can be unhealthy for those who do not have the funds.

If you have the money, I don't think it is necessarily bad to spend it. Whether you spend it on dolls or any other unnecessary items, it's the same. It's sent out into the economy. Money sat on does good for you, but bad for your community. Of course, ideally, spare money would be spread across to those who cannot even afford food. But few of us are so altruistic. And so, perhaps because we spend money on unnecessary items before making sure others can feed their children... then yes.. we are all materialistic. It is difficult to live in an affluent nation and not be.

But even so, money spent does good for those who receive it, and then they themselves spend it, and the chain goes on, and well, that's how capitalism works.

Though I still think when it comes to the point of people feeling unhappy or inferior because of what you lack, this hobby can definitely have a negative impact on particular types of people, myself being one of them, unfortunately...

3. Sounds to me that you're not so much becoming more 'materialistic', but are in fact just expanding your artistic talents because the doll has awakened in you a stronger thirst for creativity, and you simply need more outlets over which to spread that creativity ^^

At least, that's what I think is happening to me! :D

4. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

They don't make me wish I had more, I'm content with what I own/don't own.

If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?

N/A

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

As long as I have money to still buy food and have a roof over my head, I'm not complaining.

5. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      For sure. To be honest it was one of the reasons why I had doubts of getting a Dollfie in the first place? Even though I JUST started. But I feel like guilty that I had spent a huge amount of money for a doll and will still be spending money on the doll. I almost feel like thee neeeeed to get her things like clothes, bags, etc. And that's just for the smaller one. Think about the bigger one that will be much more high maintenance. >_>
      Also, I'd feel guilty if I DIDN'T get them stuff too. I mean I already spent lots of money, I need to do SOMETHING with them right? Thought to be honest, and I know there's already a thread about inanimate objects/friends and whatnot, but after getting a small doll (not Dollfie Dream) I notice that I treat her as nothing more than a doll. Even though I only got her recently she just sits there on my shelf. I took her out recently but not.. really so much to show her off/take pics. She was just in my bag. Could be different later on in the future as I take her out more though.

I actually do experience this in more of a negative way but that could be because I really juuust started this hobby and technically I don't have my Dollfie Dream. It might be different if I have a DD instead of this smaller doll? Idk. But personally I'm almoooost regretting getting into the hobby because it makes me feel materialistic like you said. And as you said I don't think it's good to be like extremely materialistic. (No offense to anyone btw. ; ; )
      - Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I for sure am much happier if I accomplish one of my wishes but then I become indifferent of whatever that wish/desire was after I get it as time passes by. (For example: smaller doll) And then of course I move onto something else and desire that etc. Never ending cycle it is. x__x; I think it's really in our nature to just keep striving for something to satisfy our hearts but will never be contented. Especially not with materialistic items. (But really that's just my opinion. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. ; ; )

6. I have to change my opinion, I think.

Since saving for my second, as well as waiting on, and receiving him, I think that having BJDs has made me look at money from a different perspective. I still want things for myself, and for my dolls, but I think saving for a doll has made me see things differently. For example, there are a lot of things that I see, and think "OMG want!" But eventually, that feeling subsides, and later on I realize that I really didn't want that thing after all.

Sometimes, I will want the same thing for an extended period of time, and that signals to me that I really do want this thing, be it a song, or a nice outfit for one of my dolls.

It's made me really conscious about waiting. I've learned that it's better to wait on certain things, rather than to buy it now and regret it.

7. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I think it's tended to make me spend more on 'me' whereas usually I wouldn't.

At this point I'd say Positive. Well, I think if I wasn't spending money on this hobby, I'd be spending it on something else, but I do feel guilty when I look at the dolls and know how much they're worth. In some ways it's an ongoing guilt trip. Other things I buy like DVDs and games doesn't make me feel the same amount of guilt that buying BJDs does. Lately this has translated into me feeling guilty enough about it to start repainting the house and buying new furniture so that is fairly positive. It's nice to look around and see the house looking great. I doubt if I'd have done this much maintenance otherwise until we were going to sell. That's when I renovated our last two houses.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I'm definitely a lot happier when I look around and see all the work I've done on the house. My hubby and kids like the new look house as well. I'm finding that focusing on the house has also left me wanting to taper off on BJDs a little, I'm enjoying seeing the difference I'm making and don't have as much interest in the hobby. Now that the house is getting renovated, I'm also wanting to work on myself and have started a healthy diet. I guess there are benefits all around, mostly because I recognised that putting so much time and effort into a hobby was not going to give me as much enjoyment as putting the effort into my real life.

8. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      I'm afraid that boat's long since sailed! There's the shedload of needles, the boxes full of yarn, the ever increasingly expensive spinning wheels (Think I've just about stopped there at least!); the acres of hand dyed fluff to spin, the miles of fabric bought "because it was a good deal", the oodles of thread, so dolls are just another arm to my obsessions! Actually, as everything's in miniature apart from the needles I've not had to buy too much in but as I take pleasure in spending even small amounts on crafty stuff, I really don't think dolls are gonna add too much to the addiction ;-).

Financially negatively (better recently) but for life enrichment definitely positively!

I certainly have wanted more in the past and still can't resist a bargain but I am trying to temper that by spending less and saving up for things more....Except for ordering my first ABJD which I am successfully paying back week by week. Happiness is a funny concept, I've had problems with anxiety depression due to other physical problems (and stupid benefits systems over the years) but crafting makes me happy/stops me feeling down when I can't do much and waiting for my first ABJD is pretty cool too ;-)

9. Oh, my list of planned things for my dolls is never-ending ;)

Yes, I think this hobby has made me more materialistic. I've had collecting hobbies before, but none where the item you've gotten for your collection need even more stuff (wigs, eyes, clothes, more wigs, props, perhaps a little more clothes and more wigs!). And I do feel a bit happier when receiving doll stuffs.

I've noticed this in myself and don't see it as all positive (I don't want my happiness to depend too much on getting things in mail), but not all negative either. And the longer I've been in the hobby, the better I can judge whether I truly need something that I currently have the urge to buy.

10. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Yes. I want my BJD to wear pretty clothes, have beautiful hair(s), nice shoes etc. :)

Negative way. I keep wanting things when I don't even have money to pay for it. OTZ :(

Yes! It definitely increases my happiness for a while but then it will be back for more. :o

11. You could always have a go with creating clothes for your doll, save you money to spend on the things you can't create? They might not be perfect first off but it's something to learn and improve and fabric can come from clothes out of the charity shop....

12. I think I already was to beging with. I have a lot of stuff in my room. Before I even got these dolls. I have many figures and object, knick-knacks if you will. I think I have so much stuff for my dolls because I was already that way, I could be a person that just has one set of clothing for my doll and be perfectly happy, but I'm just not like that. My dolls have many, many clothes.
      I agree with what you said though, the dolls make me more creative. I've started taking more picture, I've started drawing and painting again, because of them, which I hadn't done for years.

- Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      They do, but only because I wish it.

You only live once, spend time doing what brings you most joy.

Once I have all I need I'm perfectly content. I might even get a little more stuff than I need just to have the option and to save me becoming bored over time.

13. In my case, no. I'm kind of a spoiled rotten kid, so I'm used to being able to buy whatever I want.:lol:

Though I admit, BJD's seemed to have amplified this. I don't even have my first BJD yet and I already have a growing list of ones that I want, as well as clothes and accessories and the like.

14. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Definitely. All of my other hobbies are extremely cheap. The only other one that is near this expensive is music - my synthesizer cost around $3000, but my parents paid for it and maintaining it hasn't cost anything. For me, having a BJD is more materialistic because they don't serve any function other than room decorations. (However, I think that for people who collect them for other reasons that just display can count them as having a function.)

Negative - I'd rather go back to a time in life where all I wanted were books by my favorite authors or new videogames in my favorite series. I'd have so much more money saved, and I wouldn't be any less happy if I'd never heard of BJDs.

With my hobbies, I feel more a sense of happiness when I'm completely involved in a book or game than I do with the dolls. Usually I feel happy right after I order a doll, right when it ships, on the date I know it will arrive, and then once I have it completed. Later on, I still like to see them, but the excitement fades somewhat. I think if I took the time to learn to photograph them and got a better camera, I would get more enjoyment longterm.

15. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Everyone is always materialistic, if it wasn't BJDs it would be something else.

BJDs increase my creativity so I think it is a positive thing. I mean I know the dolls aren't going to make my life perfect or happy. One purchase isn't going to change my life but it will inspire me and look pretty on my shelf.

I don't think it brings me happy. It brings me brief satisfaction, but then (like all collecting) I want more. It's the nature of the beast. I want to have a perfect collection.

16. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Perhaps, similar to OP's case I need paint, pastels, brushes, ect for faceupping, and eventually I want to try modding (dremel, epoxy, ect) and recently I've been interested in sculpting dolls (heck if I know what I need for that) plus, even though I already have a gigantic stash of fabric, I'm sure I'll end up spoiling my dolls with new fabric because they'll be so much cheaper to sew for than myself :lol:

I honestly feel like wanting things that allow me to better create art that I love is a good thing. Maybe because the environment I've been raised in is very artistically-centered, so creating things is almost like eating veggies: not really needed to survive, but something that's highly encouraged and healthy. I've never considered wanting to buy something that would help me be creative as materialistic XD
      It would be a different story if I wanted to outfit my doll in fabulous custom made clothes and get a super cool professional faceup and all that jazz, no offense to those who do, but as I plan to do all that myself I think that balances out the fact that art supplies are expensive.

Well, like I said, I live a very art driven life, and the more I can create the happier I am XD while that's not absolutely directly linked to spending money, if I can buy the materials I want, I'll be happier with the end result, so yes, I guess the more I buy the happier I'll be, but it's not the buying that makes me happy.

17. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Of course it does, it is a hobby I enjoy so i want to put a lot into it.

I have a bad relationship with happiness, it has previously been tied to food and has moved onto material posessions. I viewe this positively now as before i would eat to much and feel i was fat een though i wasn't then starve myself for a while. This, is a much healthy option and it's not out of control. I can proritise with this.

If I suceed in what i wanted to do it makes me happy for a long while but i will need "more" even if jsut a little. If i fail i have noticed it adversly affects my mood.

18. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Yup. I feel like I need more wigs, more clothes, more shoes and more dolls. At first I though I only want one but now the more I look at pictures I see new dolls and new sizes and I think - hmmm I want that too! I am also interested in making all kinds of things for the dolls. I "get" the whole I need new paints and materials for faceups - and hey, new fabric for clothes and charms for necklaces ect ect. I've been interested in making food props for my dolls too! The hobby is full of inspiration and that inspiration can lead to a lot of "I wants"

I feel like it's partly positive and partly negative. Positive in that I'm being creative and it's making me happy and keeping me interested but negative in that I worry I am amassing "stuff" that maybe I won't actually get time to use! I want to create all these things with and for my BJD but I don't necessarily have the spare time! (Or I don't allocate it properly!)

Isn't this just the fundamental flaw of people? Without aspiration and desire we would never accomplish anything. But the constant aspiration and looking to the new thing may leave us with a feeling that we are never satisfied with what we have.

19. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I do have a growing wanted list, so yes. I don't buy clothes, though. I make them. :)

Buying fabric to make things lets me, well, make things, and then trading them for services or selling them lets me get more supplies to make more things, so that's positive. Getting companion dolls for my existing dolls lets me plan more extensive photostories, so that's positive too. Wanting more dolls, HUGELY expensive Iples... negative. My most recent purchase has been bordering on aversion therapy. I'm living so thin to get this layaway paid off I'm almost more pissed at the company for discontinuing the sculpt and moving up my buying timeline than I am excited about getting my guy. But he's been on my list forever and I can't risk him disappearing and then just getting MORE expensive.

Accomplishments make me happy. The problem with having a shopping addiction, though, is that purchases feel like an accomplishment. I don't need to buy a new doll to be happy, but I have a nagging feeling that if I get one the act of clicking the paypal button will make me feel happier. However temporarily.

20. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Now I don't like to admit to being materialistic, but I think I definitely have let dolls get the best of my spending habits. lol I used to think X amount of money was too much to spend on this or that. Now I compare everything to doll item costs as if it is some sort of new standard! I always want the best for my dolls...so I have a very long "I want" list. ^^;

The continuous spending is probably not good for me, but I think overall these dolls have been a positive influence. I have met so many awesome people, and I have gained a bountiful outlet for me to pour myself into.It sounds overly dramatic, but having a creative hobby I can be so involved in has helped me cope with the stress I deal with at home.

I think its natural to always want more. lol But honest contentedness will make you the most happy.