1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls making you materialistic?

Aug 1, 2010

1. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I will admit I do feel that BJDs have made me slightly more materialistic. I have always valued my posessions and took good care of them, from my cell phone to my car. I used to struggle making purchases over a couple hundred dollars, but with LE dolls it seems natural to spend the money. I do still feel guilty making these purchases because they are hard to justify sometimes. I feel bad I didn't buy my boyfriend something instead. I don't like feeling selfish, and dolls sometimes make me feel this way.

If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?

Mainly negative at first, but now I realize that I can afford my BJD hobby and still afford to do things with my boyfriend or family. They make me happy, and the people around me are supportive.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

Lifetime goals, wishes and dreams that don't relate to dolls probably make me happier. I've always wanted a classic VW Beetle since I was little, and when my dad bought me one as an early college graduation present I was ecstatic for weeks. Months, even. My hands still shake when I drive it I'm so excited. The "doll high" is much shorter than that, since usually the dolls I buy aren't things I've been dreaming about for 15 years XD Graduating college, going to see my favorite band in concert and owning my own home are/will be major events or accomplishments that I will cherish, though a person still needs money to do all three ^^;

2. Perhaps. But not in a bad way. I love what they are, I love what is possible with them. It has nothing to do with wanting MORE, MORE, MORE just too own more. I understand if one was to buy so many dolls that there is no possible way, realistically, they could pay attention to them all, but owning an amount that you can enjoy and customize is just fine.

When one is truly materialistic they will buy items they don't need, nor can they afford. As long as someone can afford the hobby, putting bills, school, family, ahead of it, there is nothing wrong with it.

I love my dolls a lot, but I realize that if the situation arose and I needed cash for something very important I would sell them. As important as they are to me, they are still just things.

3. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Hardly. Like many of the posters have mentioned before myself, I was already pretty materialistic. I like other hobbies--horseback riding and model horses, neither of which are cheap.
      More than that, I like nice things--I enjoy spending money on designer clothes and accessories.
      Dollies were just another drop in the bucket. Just another hobby to buy for.

- If yes, do you experience this in a positive or negative way?

Also mentioned before, I don't think it's a bad thing. The money is going to go somewhere anyway, why not let it be on something I enjoy?

4. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes? Yes, definitely
      Neither, really, it just is
      - Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?
      I'll admit, getting things does make me pretty happy, but I don't need them to be happy, they're just nice to have. :)

5. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

To an extent. I've never had to wish for many material things, since whatever I needed (and many things I didn't) were just given to me as required. Dolls were that one thing that I couldn't just get by asking, so I coveted them.

I would class it as a positive experience. For me, who have never had to work for anything, I had to work for my dolls, to plan, to budget and to save (because I made the commitment only to use the money I earn or receive as gifts to purchase my dolls), with the tangible reward of getting the doll I like at the end of it. It's an easily achievable goal, so it makes me feel a little happy whenever I pay off a layaway, or get that bit of extra cash for new doll clothes.

More normal, aspirational goals are a bit beyond me for now, considering that the cost of cars start at around USD50,000 and government flats at USD250,000 (and only if you are married and bidding for a new development in some farflung corner of the country). Easier to save for and purchase dollies for that bit of 'yay, I did it!' high.

- Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

My wishes... are mostly impossible to achieve, and thinking about them merely depress me. At least dolls are an achievable reach. If I don't think too hard or contemplate deep and heavy things, I don't need much to sustain my happiness except for the occasional boosts from buying things (actually, more of a 'I have been rewarded with object for my hard work' sense of satisfaction than the object itself, really).

6. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Definitely. I used to love toys and such as a child but I grew out of that and started finding happiness in non-material things. As a teenager and young adult I bought very little for myself and found my happiness through family, friends, significant others, pets, volunteering, and doing activities such as walking or riding my bike. Once I found dolls I started to buy much more for myself and it wasn't like my other joys in life in that I feel that I have to keep on spending money. This is probably the most materialistic I've ever been. :/

Both. I derive great joy from my dolls but I don't like spending the money I do. I suppose as long as it doesn't become a problem or hinder any other part of my life it should be fine.

I still get happiness from the above list (friends, family, volunteering, other hobbies, etc.) but now there's dolls on top of that, haha. I don't need my dolls to be happy but they're a wonderful distraction and hobby.

7. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

Hmm, yes. But isnt that the point? These dolls are so customizable, the sky is the limit. Taking into consideration ALL the possibilities, of course your gonna want a whole lot of items.

But is it making you materialistic? No, not really. I don't see a hobby that happens to costs alot of effort and money to make ones "materialistic." I believe you can be materialistic and not have a single expensive item in your house. To me, to be materialistic is an inside feeling that can be reflected through HOW you act about material things. And not so much what you have and want

Well, if one of my wishes (which turns into goals when acted upon) are accomplished, of course is makes you happy. XD I don't know anyone who isn't happy when they reach a goal. You might set a new goal to work on at that point, but i wouldn't think it would be an attempt to make you "more happy" I think its just something to keep you focused into your hobby and what you love. :D

Buuut, if you are only doing it because you feel like you NEED to be above others, or MUST have the best to be happy... then yeah that's materialistic. Wanting the world isn't a bad thing, just having fun and reaching goals realistically, while still being happy regardless is the key.

8. No :) it was at the very beginning when I wanted to get some more shoes or wigs, but now it's over. I don't feel good if I spend too much money, now matter for what, so I try to do it as little as possible.
      If I'm creating something, I usually try to remake/reuse what I already have, but if I need to buy something, I try to avoid it to the last minute.

9. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Sorta kinda. I've actually become less avaricious for myself, and more towards wanting useless, shiny things for my dolls now. XD

It's only negative because it eats up even more money I don't really have, but props are awesome man.

Does accomplishing one of your wishes (besides dolls) increase your happiness or do you feel like you need 'more' to really be happy?

I always need more! But ultimately, my dolls make me happy.....it's just that the stuff I don't need makes them happy! haha.

10. - Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      I think I was pretty materialistic before I got into dolls. If anything I find myself wanting to buy things less - I used to have to spend money as soon as I got it, on trinkets or jewellery or make-up I'd never use. Now I save it a lot longer, and use it in much better ways than before rather than just wasting it.

Positive. I, too, want to get into face-ups and modding and all sorts of other things, but I feel that they are encouraging a previously dormant artistic flair in me that makes me want to create something myself. Instead of sitting back all the time and never creating anything of worth or notice.

This question is hard for me to answer, I have depression and take medication which balances my emotions. But I would say yes, accomplishing my wishes does make me happy - when I accomplish something I would never have thought I'd be capable of, or when I add a new little trinket to my dolly collection whether it be a scalpel or a sewing machine (okay, I don't have a sewing machine, that's one thing I can't do) I do get a sense of happiness, contentment, enjoyment outside of simply owning dolls which, in fairness, brings me a fair amount of enjoyment on its own. Will I ever stop wanting things? Probably not. Will I stop being happy if I stop buying things? Not at all.

11. No... I was already incredibly materialistic, getting into the dolly world just changed the direction of my desires/affections/collection...

12. I haven't become materislistic, But I never was in the first place. It was 3 years before I bought my boy new things. and that was mainly because I bought a new doll and figured why not, I'm paying a fortune for shipping let's make it worth my while.

I really think you only get as materislistic as you let yourself become. and as for the things you used as an example: I don't really find those to me materislistic needs. They were somehting you wanted for your hobby. It's not like you were buying a third car or a thousand dollars worth of clothing. not to mention: If you get pretty good with modding, sewing, faceups or the like, it can turn into a business opertunity.

We all want and need things. That's part of life. and the emphisis that's put on owning things comes with living in a capitolist sociaty. I don't find it to be much of a problem unless you're buying stuff you don't need and NEVER use (AKA Hording) and unless you tend to buy what you want and ignore your needs. Say buying clothes for your doll when you need soap or something of the like and you no longer have the funds to do so.

Life is meant to be lived, you want to do what makes you happy and in this hobby you tend to make/buy a lot of stuff. Sometimes that costs money. But so what, so does everything else we do. Hell even taking a shower and flushing the toilet cost money.

13. I've always been very materialistic >_> I DO see it as a bad thing, because I feel like I don't deserve to make myself happy by buying new things all the time. So in order to justify it I've been going through my things and selling a lot of stuff I can afford to part with, as well as donating a ton of stuff to charity shops, such as books I don't read anymore. I am a collector and I love to have collections of stuff such as books, but when they no longer serve a purpose there's no point in keeping them anymore, right?

14. I think we can all agree the the bjd hobby is materialistic itself. So the question is more like, 'how materialistic has it made you?'
      I mean, how many hobbies are out there that involve buying unessicary (i think i spelled that wrong...) things? A ton of them! You just have to make sure they don't get out of hand.

To actually answer the question... I love sewing and creating things. Getting into BJDs was my way of being equally creative, but with far less stuff. Most of the kind of clothes I like to make I would never wear myself, so now I just buy a fraction of the fabric and make it for my doll.
      So I consider BJDs the lesser of two evils. Sure, I probably pay more in the long run, but I'm not wasting a load of fabrics and other materials.

15. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?
      Not more so than usual. If we are discussing 'materialism' in the sense that one puts possessions before people and relationships, then I was never materialistic to begin with, and dolls certainly didn't change that. If, however, by 'materialism' it is meant the enjoyment of one's possessions while not hindering relationships, then sure! I always loved to surround myself with beautiful things, be it furniture, collectibles, accessories, clothes, etc. The BJD hobby has increased my materialistic wishes for dolls, but at the same time, decreased my materialistic wishes in other areas. So, overall, since joining the hobby, I still want the same amount of stuff as before, it's just different stuff is all.

It's a positive experience for me. Being in this hobby has let me explore my artistic side more, something that I haven't focused on before. Of course, art requires supplies, so I did amass quite a bit of items that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but I feel that it is money well spent.

Well, this is a complex question. It depends on the wish. If it's a minor wish (finding the perfect shade of lipstick, for example), it does give me happiness, but the feeling doesn't last as long as it does when it's a major wish (say, going on vacation to Europe). So, yes, accomplishing wishes always yields happiness, but the degree and longevity of said happiness varies.

In general, I don't think any given hobby can all of a sudden make one materialistic (valuing things more than people/relationships), if that trait was never part of one's personality. But, a hobby can magnify materialistic tendencies if a person is prone to them. Also, I don't necessarily view materialism as a negative trait - that aspect of it depends on the individual and his life circumstances.

16. I am at peace with every single one of my hobbies; including BJD's. I think when you put things before your loved ones then you may have a materialistic problem there. I am over 1/2 century old now and I have been in this hobby for only 3 years. It is the first time in my life where I am spending a bit more on myself than ever before.

My kids are grown now and they, plus my husband and friends will always come first. Now for a time, it is my turn and I feel positive about the road I am on right now. Making new friends and enjoying the artistic side of this hobby is very fulfilling and fun. Contentment is all I am after; for me, happiness only comes with the people you love and the relationships you cherish.

17. YES! That is something I need to learn to control. I just got into this hobby three months ago and I have SO much stuff. I got a bunch of dolls with my tax return. I should have gotten one and saved the rest. But when I love something I just go crazy at first. I think it's ok if you take a break and say "ok - my doll family is complete for now and they don't need any new stuff!!!"

18. The BJD hasn't made me any MORE materialistic, but it hasn't made me any less either. I think it's more that once you get into a new hobby there's all the little things you hadn't counted on needing before it. Once you fill all of those hobby needs, you'll probably notice a lot less BJD specific materialism.

19. - No, I think dolls are an expression of a materialistic wish simply by virtue of what they are. I feel like this question is digging about and around asking if dolls indulge the negative sides of acquisition, OCD and addiction. I don't think dolls have the power to create an issue that isn't already underlying within an individual.

- Positive. Wanting can also make a person miserable so I routinely practice giving up on things I initially feel a strong desire towards. I won't stop wanting another fabulous doll so I just need to know when to indulge the want and when not to. I think this goes back to the idea of wanting and practicing moderation. Sometimes I feel happier at the end of the day when I have been able to conquer my want and find joy in what I have.

- Yes, of course accomplishing 'wish' makes me happy and (personally), no, I don't feel the compulsive need to collect more "stuff".

Collections are just that- whether it's toy trains, shells, soup cans, guitars or cookie jars. A lot of people have massive collections of those things and I'm really not sure if there are forums where the consistently ask each other if their desire to own and collect is 'positive' or 'negative'- it simply is what it is to each individual.

Honestly, I think this level of dialogue about the hobby is partially what attracted me to dolls in the first place- it's pretty unique.

20. Have you noticed that BJD's increased your materialistic wishes?

I've always been very materialistic to be honest, in general not really, in terms of BJDs, I don't think I'll ever stop wanting more xD

Uh neutral really, I mean being obssessed isn't really detrimental to the wallet xD But it's also not an unhealthy hobby to have, everyone has hobbies, this is one of mine.

Kinda, I want more dolls, but I'm happy to wait and save my money up too =D