1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls on a plane?

Mar 30, 2017

1. I've never flown with big dolls, but I have flown a lot - and I will say this: do not, under any circumstances, check your dolls into the cargo hold as luggage! Not only are the baggage handlers extremely rough on the bags, but baggage gets lost more frequently than you would think. Usually it gets found again, but I can't even imagine how stressful it would be to have your resin go missing! Obviously there might not be any issues at all, but I don't think it's worth the risk. A well-made doll carrier is a safe bet for a carry on, but maybe a member who has experience with this can give you good alternative solutions.

Just my two cents. ^_^

2. Thanks for the heads up on NOT checking them.

3. I've flown with my feeple 65 girl a few times now with no incident. At first I used to have her kneel inside a backpack, with a facemask and wrapped in a towel (make sure it's between the legs if the doll has no pants for protection). Now I have a suitcase just for that, it's hard and she fits inside basically "folded" in half just fine. I still wrap her and protect her face, and there's also room for clothes, magic eraser and whatnot. I'm not sure how you'd go about it with two large dolls though, that might be trickier. Whatever you do, don't check them out as luggage! Can't trust the workers to not be super rough with your luggage, not to mention the risk of them going missing. Either way, good luck! :D

4. I own Volks' SD carrier and have flown with that as my carry-on! Refer to the carry-on restrictions of your airline if you have a similar bag that carries them at full length, it may not be allowed for all airlines. I bubbled their hands, feet, and wrapped/face masked the heads to protect their faceups. The Volks bag is nice as it straps them down into place, and fits two SD size dolls.

For my flight two weeks away, I'll be bringing three (or four if I'm crazy enough) dolls and will be unstringing them to save space, and for protection. Having no tension on the parts in a bag that won't let them lie straight will protect thin parts from chipping, and will let me fit more in my bag (I'm trying to plan my week's stay with only carry-on luggage and three SD size dolls- it'll be a challenge but i pack lightly already ;) ) If you're confident in your restringing, taking the dolls apart will be the safest method if you're trying to fit other items in the same bag.

5. I brought my large SD once, went on a trip. What i did was disassemble the parts one by one, make sure it is wrapped properly and just stuff them in my hand carry bag. After i reached, i just assemble them back lol. Trying to save space and its pretty light. :)

6. Maybe a yoga bag would be good for carrying your SDs around

7. I think carry on will be a better choice but if you have to much things to carry on and prefer the doll in checked luggage, better disassemble it and with lot of bubble wraps. Don't forgot to give a lock on the luggage too :)

Edit: found an old thread where lot of doll owner have experienced travelling with dolls on airplane too
      Travelling with your dolls: issues/ideas/etc. Part II

#27 twinage, May 5, 2017
      Last edited: May 6, 2017
    8. Taking apart and restringing three dolls of your size is probably the best option.

If you don't want to restring, I traveled internationally with a beefy 75cm doll (so very large!) folded into an L-shape in what was a typical carryon suitcase for American carriers. I had room for his tightly wrapped pillows. I could have fit a smaller doll in the same configuration in the opposite corner, and I might have been able to put two side by side. Turkey made me unpack the doll to show them what I was carrying, but they didn't lay hands on it, but Qatar and others were indifferent. Your mileage and destinations may vary.

9. I just put them in my hand luggage, it's never been a problem. I usually take at least one SD size, sometimes more, and as many smaller ones as I want to fit in. I just put them in my bag with something to protect the faceup and pack my other hand luggage around them.

I was once asked to open my bag to show the guys on airport security the dolls (I had three with me that time, one SD, and two tinies) - but that's just because it wasn't busy at the time and they were curious to see them.

EDITED TO ADD: Sometimes my carry-on bag is a small suitcase, but usually it's a shoulder-bag or backpack, nothing specal, just a regular bag of the right size firo the carry-on restrictions.

Teddy

#29 Teddy, May 5, 2017
      Last edited: May 5, 2017
    10. I usually take at least one SD size and a variety of smaller size BJD's with me when I travel and I just put them into my carry-on bag with somehtign to protect the faceup and pack the rest of the luggage into around them. I find a wash-cloth or a scrap of soft fabric is usually enough to protect the faceup.

I've never had any trouble - the one time I was asked to open my bag to show the dolls at security, it was a slow day and they were curious to see them.

EDITED TO ADD: Sometimes my carry-on bag is a small suitcase, but usually it's a shoulder-bag or backpack, nothing specal, just a regular bag of the right size firo the carry-on restrictions.

Teddy

11. I've traveled with my MSD both domestically and internationally. I've gotten some questions, but more about the hard case than about the dolls themselves. Just so that the staff doesn't get confused seeing a human face on the x-ray, I usually tell them that I have a doll in the case. I've never had a problem with it.
      My friend also wrapped up an SD doll and put him in a large totebag and she didn't have a problem either. They only wanted to check to make sure it didn't have any GSR on it (oddly enough)

I would say that it's better to bring them carry on so you can keep an eye on them. I can fit my MSD under the seat just fine, but an SD would need to be sitting/folded or put in the overhead.

12. I get extra screening a lot in the US (because of my last name I guess :/. It sucks but I'm used to it.) so I can't be sure it was because of my dolls, but on my last trip, they were scrutinized a lot. They put my carry-on with the dolls through the machine three times with puzzled looks on their faces. Then they took my bag to be opened and looked at (and swabbed for gun shot residue? What?). On the plus side, the tsa agent was very gentle with them, and seemed genuinely smitten with them.

I brought one msd and one yosd. I traveled carry-on only so I packed them in the middle of my suitcase with rolled shirts and pajamas around them. I didn't pack anything on top of them because I suspected they might need to be inspected

I didn't have any damage, but I probably wouldn't bring them again. The trip was hectic, and I was too shy and worried about damage/they to take them out much.

13. I would always sugest taking them as carry on, I would not trust the baggage handlers to be careful with your luggage. My only advice is to give youself an extra 20-30 mins to get thru TSA. I have flown with my dolls a few times. I never get flagged for them flying out of Seattle, but always seem to get flagged coming home. As soon as they flag my bag with the dolls, I immediatly tell them there are very fragile dolls in the bag and they have always made sure to handle with care.
      When I was flagged in New Jersey, They had me help remove the dolls and put them back in the package. They did run a wipe over one of them to check what they were made of, the wipe did not hurt my doll at all.
      When I was flagged in Long Beach CA, They just opened the top and verified it was actually two dolls, they didn't remove them or anything.
      So just give yourself extra time, and communicate with the bag handlers if they do get flagged.
      Im sure size is a huge factor on weather or not they get flagged as well. Both times I had taken two Ipelhouse FID boys.

14. Has anyone ever bought a doll in another country and tried to bring it through airlines? Do they have any trouble? I'm going to Japan and want to get a few things and I'm not sure if I can buy a doll and bring her home with me (skipping customs and possibly getting the doll lost) Any advice?

15. I brought my DZ Megi on a trip with me to Hong Kong years ago. Didn't have any problems and the ladies working the x-ray machine were amused. lol

Depending on the size of the doll, it might be best to pack them sitting instead of laying straight so they can fit under the airline seat. I know overhead luggage space can be kind of a fight sometimes since no one wants to pay for more checked baggage than they have to.... I recently got super stressed out taking a 2.5 gallon aquarium as a carry-on since I needed it to go in the overhead because it wouldn't fit under the seat and the flight was packed.

16. It might depend on your country, but I bought a doll in Japan and brought him to the US with no problems.

17. That helps a lot thank you! I live in the US as well so if it's not going to be a problem I feel better about buying one.

18. I did take my SD Icy with me on the plane multiple times, with and without carrier bag. I didn't have a bag for the first two flights, sadly - I do not fancy repeating this kind of experience, it's extremely easy to damage the doll, especially when you go through security checks. Anyway. All those times I took her as a carry-on, nobody seemed to mind. I had one more carry-on bag at the same time, and it was fine.
      Security officers asked to run an extra scan sometimes but other than that they showed no objections. I've also heard about them asking to take the head cap off but that's also not a big deal.

I must say though that an SD carrier bag is large and extremely uncomfortable to sit in the plane with. You might be asked to put it under the seat in front of you (which is pretty much not feasible) or on the shelf above (where other people's luggage might possibly damage it). So you either hold it yourself the whole time which can be tiring or you package it REALLY well so even if the bag gets squished no damage will be done. I've used two cushions she arrived from Dollmore with to wrap around her in the bag, put the face mask on (always keep it on on such trips and make sure it doesn't more around much!) and tightened the bag straps.
      Some airlines might possibly say a carrier bag is too long, and you'll have to take the doll out and hold it all the time, this way it takes up less space. If you ever get into a situation when you have to carry a doll without a bag in the airport I strongly recommend wrapping it into a big scarf of something to avoid damage and dirt. Keep the mask on!

Icy was fine after all those times, so hope that helps :whee:

19. Thank you all so much, lots of advice, I think I have a bag that I can pose Laila sitting and then put on her face mask and bubble wrap her hands. Hopefully that should be enough for a carry on.

20. This thread was incredibly helpful as I plan to adopt lots of dolls home after IDTS =)