1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls on a plane?

Mar 30, 2017

1. I be travelling next month so i will bring 1 doll wif me, well i only have yosd so will fits right in my bag. :)

2. I travel a lot and travelling with a bjd sounds terrifying to me because I typically keep her out of sunlight/on pillows 24/7 so thinking about having to take her out is kinda scary. This upcoming vacation though one of my friends are curious about my tiny so I'm taking her with me *_*

3. Ive got the same question :D so glad theres a thread about it now :D im planning on bringing 2 SD to taiwan this spring :D

4. I traveled a lot and i brought my volks belle with me to some countries and i did not have trouble

I remove her head and remove the eyes i wrap head like the official wrap with the face plastic mask and i put her head in the head protector i buy from website

It is like animal head with chin strap to keep the head safe in transport

The body i unstrung and put all separate in labeled bags the metal parts and the string go into its own bag

I also bring string puller and forceps and the head string puller and extra putty

The head go into my backpack and the body parts is bubble wrapped and put into a box and in between my clothes in the luggage

It takes only 10 minutes to put her back together and I don’t worry about parts becoming broken for me it is being a good travel method knock on wood

5. EHH!!! I've done this several ways. Carry on baggage is the way to go for me. I put 3 1/3 dolls bunched up in a 22 inch carry on, and had TSA screen them. Everybody saw them, and some people later asked to see them. Anyway after this mishap, I luckily had a carrying case 1/3 size, and had the three of them in the case it barely fit under my seat. The 22 inch carry on now had clothes and 1 doll in it for no reason. Then my next trip I had to put the other doll in my carrying case because they just had to check everyone's bag. so the three dolly's became a little closer for a few hours trip. The next big idea is a large 29 inch hard sided suitcase. I have not tried this as a checked baggage. This option will be later reserved for a future trip.

6. I would be afraid to put my dolls in checked luggage... I'd only do carry-on! I'd be afraid of the bag getting lost or stolen.
      Also, have you ever been through DFW? The way the bags slam down off the carousel thing where you pick up your luggage is just so violent.

7. BTW this thread sounds like a title for a bad movie.

I think it's more violent when the bags are put onto the plane in the first place, I'm sure getting the bags on the plane to me is harsher on the bags than the carousel.

8. Has anyone had any experience just carrying a larger doll in your hands? I'd love to bring my smaller SD girl with me on an upcoming trip. I usaully travel with a backpack and a shared suitcase with my family, so my hands would be free (as well as I wouldn't have room for her in our bags), and imagine I'd be much more comfortable having her where I could see her and would be handling her myself.

9. you should just walk down the aisle with your doll an spook them all out. and if someone wants you to put it away, don't ahaha

10. Haha, people's reactions would definitely be half the fun.

11. I bought my Volks Nico Standard Model in Tokyo. She was with me on the plane for Italy.
      I wrapped her very well with the bubble wrap and she was in my backpack. I was afraid to put her in the suitcase. She arrived safe, but I was scared. I can’t bring the dolls with me when I go on vacation, I'm afraid of breaking up:atremblin

12. I've travelled both domestically and internationally with my MSD in my carry-on. I've never had questions about it, but it could be because it's Australia and as long as it's not anything on the grand long list of suspicious items you have to claim, they don't care.
      I am moving to Japan in a month, so at this rate, she'll be going back into the carry-on because I'll have some heavy stuff in my check-in luggage. I'd rather not have her crushed by my PS4.

13. I've traveled both internationally and domestic with dolls before. International was a small Yo-SD that I put into checked bag. Just wrapped him up in clothes. No big. Second I traveled with a big Volks SD girl in a Volks bag (the bag has tight straps and a lot of room I put clothes around her to keep her from bumping).

I went from MSP to ATL and back again. The only "trouble" I had was in ATL since it's a huge international hub. She got pulled aside and physically searched but I never had to pull her out. The guy asked me a lot of questions. Doll people seem to be scared about reactions from people, but most people are delighted or intrigued. MSP was a breeze they didn't even care.

I put my SD in the overhead and she even got a little squished but people were respectful when I was like "Oh hey, please be careful!". She made it fine. I personally find it best to protect the doll as best you can and then not worry about it too much. Don't be one of those people who inconvenience others because you have an idea of how "fragile" *your* things might be. Pack your things properly and let people do what they do. Warn nicely if you need. I travel A LOT so I've seen people get very upset about some very silly things.

In May we are going back to Japan and I plan on both going with a doll or two and coming home with an extra one. I've seen a lot of people put dolls into their checked bags and honestly it will be totally fine doing that if you:
      -Wrap them up
      -Have a large enough bag for them to not be touching sides (or bend them)
      -Have a stiff suit case
      -Don't have many other heavy objects in your checked like a laptop or something.

Overall you will be fine. Think about how long the flight is, what airlines your with (reputation, although this is a small factor) and what you're packing. Bringing a doll on a plane seems like a big deal only because it's so foreign and new to a lot of people - it did to me at first too - but it all turned out fine!

14. :) glad to read all discussions, I’m playing to carry two girls for international trip, this discussion gave me some insight. Unstrung sounds safesr idea, but still need to practice. Maybe I will carry them with me as carry on bag. :) Thank you all who share experiences!

15. I had to bring an MSD and an SD on a 14hr flight. What I did was warped them up (and bubble wrapped their hands), put their face masks on and then got a padded doll bag for them and used that as a carry-on (doesn't have to suggest . I would definitely suggest not putting them in your checked luggage. I travel a LOT and I've had so much stuff lost/destroyed by airlines so I would never put them in checked luggage.

16. I see that a lot of the people are bringing dolls in a carry on. So, I'll tell you about my experience with checked in luggage then. I have just flew with my DM SD boy in January. I had four connection flights, two checked in luggage (hardshell), backpack and a carry on small luggage. So, I decided to put my doll in a large luggage, to avoid carrying in around and run with him through boarders and airports. He was wrapped in a soft foam (hands and feet were double wrapped), protection mask was on, on top of that I sandwiched him in the original DM cushions and put in a DM carrier. So, the doll was secure and got to me without any damages. I guess, if you don't have a space in a carry on, make sure you wrap a doll well and put it in a checked in luggage, it should be fine :thumbup

17. I took my MSD with me in my carry on backpack with her head poking out the whole way to England from Los Angeles ^^ She made the trip just fine! And then made it back home the same way too! hehe

18. I'm a light packer, so I try to only bring one carry-on bag + my purse with me when I travel, so no carry case here. The few times I brought my MSD on the planes in Canada I had no issues. I found it easier to carry my doll in my purse until through security, then move her to my carry-on bag once I'm in the lounge. I wrap her in both the travel bag she came with and a few sweaters so she doesn't get jostled around. I also don't use the overhead bins and keep my bag under the seat. I've never had a problem with breakage or security.

19. I'm planning to bring an SD with me to Florida for a friend's wedding. I'm taking her as a carry-on in a padded vintage bowling bag. I'm not too worried because either me or my husband will have her at all times. My only concern is security, but according to the thread here, I should be fine.

20. Just now im here at changi airport with my volks sdcute renee black cat. While scanning i saw her body and they called me to open my luggage and i know right away it's her :)) and once i opened her dollmore soft carrier, they were like she's pretty ❤ first time i got questioned xD Japan, Australia, France and Italy. I never got any problem ԅ( ˘ω˘ ԅ)