1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls that *aren't* for beginners?

Feb 25, 2009

1. (I did several searches and went back through pages looking for a topic like this but couldn't find one. If there is, delete as needed!)

I've read a lot about how a person's first doll should be the one that they want - whether it's cheap, expensive, etc. And that made me curious:

Are there any doll models that you feel aren't suitable for a person's first doll, either because they require more care or for any other reason?

(Example: I have a feeling that I am going to be very, very interested in the new DollShe Saint when more pictures are posted of his face, but am finding his body rather intimidating. I think that I might want to start out with someone who has fewer... um... bits :P .)

Opinions? Ideas?
      I'm interested to see what people think about this :) .

2. I probably wouldn't do any of the Soom Monthly dolls for your first doll. Although they are fabulous, they are VERY stylized and detailed, with extra pieces to switch out, etc.

3. I agree with the SOOM M.D.s... they seem very detailed yet meticulous.

I'd also stay away from purchasing an Unoa Kit and having to do all of it yourself...

4. As for me, i wouldn't consider 80cm. dolls as my 1st BJD, they're big and a handful...i consider them as my 2nd or 3rd one...:)

5. i would say no soom monthlys, nothing over 70cm, nothing that is french resin, and while there's nothing wrong with the following, I don't recommend your first doll be second hand. While there is nothing wrong with second hand dolls as many people take very good care of their dolls, you might get something someone wasn't completely truthfull about the condition of or something that may need a lot of work.

6. If it were my first doll I wouldn't want anything I had to put together, like a Volks MSD which come as kits.

7. i dont think there really is a general guideline. i think people have to figure out what right for them on their own, if you love to put things together and love kits then a doll you have to put together is nothing to stay away from. especially if you have meets near you and someone willing to help if you get lost or need help.

and as for size, i think thats something you have to learn through experiance with, so i wouldnt stay away from the huge sizes or the tiny sizes, and go to a meet and try to see what size you think is right for you.

im buying a soom monthly for my first.. i didnt plan to but when he came out i knew i had to get him. if i dont like the monthly i can always sell it. but i fell to hard to buy another doll and then buy the MD with the second hand market prices? no way

8. I don't think size really matters if you're not intimidated by 80cm worth of resin. What I would consider is how easy it is to take the doll apart and restring it - because, let's face it, even if you're new to bjds, you WILL eventually have to learn to restring your doll. While I know most dolls have the same kind of stringing and once you've restrung one doll, you'll know the basics of how to restring most other dolls, I remember seeing a Littlefee taken apart and how different it looked compared to my own dolls. It kind of intimidated me seeing the S hook in the head and also one in its torso, not to mention there's something like three different strings keeping the doll held together... and I don't usually get intimidated when it comes to taking apart dolls to restring them :sweat

So my advice would be, whatever doll you get, be aware of how to restring it and be prepared to have to restring it. I personally would never get a littlefee as my first doll or a puki. My reason for not getting a puki is because of how small they are (total opposite of people who advise not to get big dolls lol!). As small as Pukis are, if you don't know what you're doing, I think it might get a bit fidgety if you ever find yourself having to restring it >__>

9. I say go with what you want! I don't think are dolls that would be too "much" for a person just starting out or not "suitable". My first doll was a kit from Volks and I did great with her. As long as you KNOW what you are getting yourself into(knowing it might be a pain to put together, or knowing there will be lots of parts and you will have to paint it) , I think you should just go with what you want and like.

10. I'm in total agreement. My first doll was second hand, and as soon as it was mine I went to work, wiping the face-up, modding the body to change the gender, totally taking it apart to wash, mess with, sand, paint, what-have-you, and re-stringing it about 2 weeks later. The key is to know what you're getting into and to do the research on the doll you want, and what you'll need to do to make it exactly how you want it. While that can be hard to do for LE dolls as you have such a SHORT time to get hold of most of them, you can at least research a company that makes LEs you like, and previous LEs from that company to give you a better idea of you're looking at in care for future LE dolls they might come out with.

Research, know what you're getting into, and know if it's a level of ownership that you think you can handle or not. Nothing should be a 'do not buy for a first time doll' unless your research leads you to think that it's one you might not be up to caring for.

11. I'll third the last two posts. Get the doll you WANT but make certain you know what you're getting into. My first was a fullset default paint DZ because I wanted to have a complete doll to play with and get accustomed to dealing with.

Now after four months, he never wears the clothes he came with, his body is blush and umm modded a hair and I'm waiting for summer to redo his face up.

So do some research, read the threads in the workshop and dive HEAD FIRST into the hobby! Chances are any situation you find yourself has already been experienced by someone and there will be plenty of people to help you out.

12. Haha Ide have to say don't try any french resin. I had a friend whos first doll was a fr narae and they poor dear looked like she had jaundice within a few months. Probably not good for beginners!

13. Honestly, it depends on the person.

I love taking things apart, seeing how they work and putting them back together again. Crafting, reshaping and stuff like that really excites me. I found restringing pretty fun and interesting except a little frustrating trying to put the hands and feet on. XD If someone would've offered me a kit for my first doll, I would've taken it happily.

Honestly, once you figure out how they function and how they're put together, something like a Soom Monthly wouldn't be too bad. But then again, I've never seen or touched one IRL. So I have no idea. D:

But if you're someone who avoids things like that and are deathly afraid of breaking/ruining anything it's probably not for you. XD

My mom has thrown serious fits when I took Roslin apart to restring her and to suede her joints. Only because her experience with dolls are porcelian and antique dolls which sit on shelves all the time. Very hands-off. My dad though, understands because his hobby is car models.

It honestly depends on people's preference and perspective.

14. I think you would be thrilled with the new Dollshe Saint. ABJDs certainly hold a wonderful kind of mystique, but honestly, I don't think there are any models, sculpts, moulds that are "too much doll" for a "beginner." Buy what you're drawn to and enjoy your purchase!

15. i think you could start with anything, if you do your homework. use the forum to look at all of the different possibilities, resin type/color, height/size, gender, cost, posability, and amount of customization that is available. as long as you have all of the facts, i think you could really handle most anything. there are always members here who are very knowledgeable and willing to help if you have any questions, so get what speaks to your soul.

16. ER, maybe a Domuya Flexi-body? They are a little intimidating to pose at first.

17. By all means, get the doll that you have your heart set on regardless of size, sculpt, extra parts, etc. But if you haven't fallen in love with one yet, my advice would be to start with an MSD-sized doll from one of the more well-known companies. It's a good mid-range size; not too big and not too small and quite poseable in most cases. Clothes, shoes and accessories are usually quite easy to find for this size also and are fairly standard across most companies.

The reason I suggest buying from a more established company is that it makes it easier to do research on them and there are loads of members here who can give advice if you do run into problems as most are more familiar with older companies than with newer ones.

This hobby can be quite overwhelming at first but you will get used to it all and start to find your own personal style. Good luck!

18. souldoll centaur
      but soon if not now that will be my third doll lol

19. Any MSD sizes would be really good for starting out. :/ When I got Mira, I thought she was extremely big, let alone the one coming at my friend's house. She's getting a 70cm, and he's about half my actual size because I am tiny. I held a regular SD at the last con, and he was extremely heavy too, so it's more of the sudden shock of having this large hunk of resin thrown in your lap. x3

20. It depends on what sort of doll person you are. Are you brave, naturally handy? Do you always fiddle with, customize and alter your collectibles? Do you have enough spare cash to take proper care of them (ie buy wigs, eyes, faceups, clothing etc ad nauseum)?

Or are you strictly an oldschool collector type? Put your NRFB doll on its shelf to bask in its perfection?

If you're the former, pretty much anything goes. If you're the latter, get a fullset.

Raven