1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls that didn't match your expectations of them?

Sep 16, 2021

1. So I wonder if this has happened to anyone else, on September 7th I finally got my grail doll, a volks Hewitt. I'd fallen in love with his grumpy face and attitude waaaay back in 2006. So when I got mine that's what I was expecting but instead I managed to receive the sweetest, shyest looking boy ever, not one lick of attitude from this boy! I still love him and cherish him of course, he's actually one of my favorite dolls but he DEF wasn't what I was expecting from a Hewitt oh the dfference a faceup can make lol. Has this happened to anyone else? Where you see a sculpt online but then it gets to you and its a totally different vibe from what you expected?

2. All the time. It's why I don't finalize some major decisions on a doll's character until arrival anymore. Even if I purchase a doll to shell as a specific OC, it's not official until the doll arrives and I'm able to interact with it. Many times I've gotten a doll with a specific character in mind but upon arrival the doll is like "nope, that's not me, I'm this other character instead". A big thing is that since doll's are 3D, angles can really change a look when you compare it to a flat image of a drawn character or even a company photo.

3. I actually had the exact opposite experience with my MNF Ante! When I ordered her, I had planned for her to be a very sweet and cute sort of character, she was going to have a neat blonde bob hairstyle and wear frilly white dresses and stuff, but then she got home and I was like "uhm excuse me this is clearly a chaotic gremlin child with anger issues". She is still cute in her own way, but it's a very different cute than what I was originally anticipating. I absolutely love how she turned out though.

[​IMG]

4. I'm glad you got a Hewitt! I thought mine was going to be grumpy and mopey based off of official photos but he's actually quite sweet looking and a bit mischievous.

5. I don't try to give my dolls a character before I get them for this very reason.

My Narae was meant to be a super-slick secret-agent/spy/fashionista type, right up until the moment I opened the box and saw she was a sweet little hippy girl.

Teddy

6. The makeup in the pictures of many dolls differs a lot from the ones actually received. So sometimes I’m disappointed, I can only find someone else to remake up

7. This happened with my first doll. I expected him to be goth and have attitude, and he sooo did not. None of the stuff I planned for him worked. It took me about a year and a half to get to ‘know’ him, and it all started because I jokingly stuck a blond wig on him, it was perfect! He started out so shy and sweet then came out of his shell and is now a successful business owner with too much confidence. :XD: Not at all what I expected, but 13 years later, he’s still with me and I feel like I know every detail about him now, even though it’s not at all what I expected.

8. Wow, did this ever happen to me…and it came as a complete and utter shock! Let me preface this by saying that I have a fairly substantial collection of nearly 50 dolls, collected over a decade and a half in this hobby. And none of them…and I mean NONE have ever substantially deviated characters on me. But this guy…THIS guy!:doh I’d been searching for a specific character (an over-the-top fem boy) for over a decade. And then suddenly I saw an obscure PicotPrince Makoto head in the second-hand marketplace that was perfect! I purchased it and a body (which happily turned out to be a perfect match) immediately. I was so happy, and because I’m a seamstress, I eagerly bought some fabulous and expensive fem boy fabrics to make his wardrobe. The doll arrived, I did his faceup, and all was well…until It came time to cut into the fabrics to make his wardrobe. I spread them out, placed my patterns, and literally walked around the table, scissors in hand, for 30 minutes unable to touch that fabric! I was shocked and confused…nothing like this had ever happened to me before. After 30 minutes, it finally dawned on me that this just wasn’t who he was. I put my scissors down and slowly walked away. Almost immediately I discovered that this boy, whose sculpt I still dearly loved, was a Mori boy of the forest named Hemlock. I made him a wild, tousled green wig, went to the thrift shop, stocked up on worn fabrics in natural greens and browns, and had no difficulties whatsoever stitching him up a complete wardrobe of multiple pieces in a single month’s time.:)

[​IMG]

#8 PoeticSoul, Sep 18, 2021
      Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    9. I have several stories. One involved me shelling a video game character I like. Despite what I saw in the pictures, her actual head is more round than oval. The wig and eyes I got are only somewhat accurate to the game character, leading to a doll that looks more like a cousin of the character. She's still fun to have, though I may tweak her backstory to make her an OC.

10. I feel like I have had too many of these. I see a photo of a doll that appeals to me in some way, then I start down the rabbit hole of trying to find any picture of said sculpt I can find to get an idea of all the different looks. The more varied pictures I can find the better because it shows me the potential there. When I love almost every photo of the doll I see I figure I can't go wrong right? Yeah, no.

Sometimes pictures cannot convey what a doll is like in person at all. Seeing a lot of variety helps for sure, but I have gotten dolls that no matter what I tried (changing wigs, eyes, clothes, even changing the faceup) I wasn't feeling it. Then there are those dolls that I liked and figured I may have to change up because the more I looked at the photos of the doll I bought while waiting for them I was thinking what did I do, I don't think I will like this doll that much. I started making plans to change them and when I got the doll I was shocked at how much I loved them!

11. Flora monkey/April story SD17 boy body, 2020 release. I always heard so many good things about them. Despite whole law suit thing. I received the body last week and it chipped. I didn’t nothing bad. Just bend the leg how it was a supposed to and bam, a leg chip came off. The peanut joint when bent put pressure on the space under leg where the joint is supposed to sit. But yeah, :(

12. I always wanted a Dollmore Kara Klum until I saw the sculpt in person. His nose looks higher on his face than it does in the photos on the website. After that I decided that I was never gonna buy it. In general, every time I've bought a doll and decided to sell it right away, it's been because the doll's nose isn't what it looked like in the company photos. For that reason I really only buy dolls where I can see clear profiles. No idea what is up with noses.

I also run into pink skin dolls being too pink? Impldoll's pink is super pink, as is Mystic Kids, imo. Even if you have pink skin in the photos, it doesn't look quite as pink with I guess the styling and the faceup covering a lot of it up. I bought a Mystic Kids doll and immediately gave it away. I'm sure it looks great now that it's old and mellowed (I had a Dollzone boy with a similar problem), but it was just too pink brand new.

13. When I received my Harucasting Its, I planned to make him a sweet scholarly boy. I had ordered him a cute sweater and slacks, a short brown wig. But when I got him, I put this other wig on him to just hold him over until he got his wig and that was all it took xD the wig was a cute rocker boy look and it just suited him so well. Now he's my punk rock kid and I love him.

14. Volks YoSD Mel, my YoSD grail.
      She's cute, but.... Some of the pictures I saw of her seemed so much more smiley and full of personality.
      I'm currently struggling a bit bonding with her, because her stare is very blank and unfocused, almost?
      Maybe a new faceup or eyes could help, but right now she's just sort of staring at me like a fish. :sweat