1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls with disabilities?

Jun 7, 2020

1. I really want to get a wheelchair for one of my dolls eventually, I’ve always gotten the wheelchair version available for ot dolls growing up with my mom in a chair, maybe that can be a fun diy project to do with my folks. I do plan on adding splint rings do my mini me when I finally settle on a sculpt for her (my only “visible” trait) :blush Dolls with visible disabilities are just so special to me, normalizing the world I grew up in :D

2. I feel like I should mention this here... I recently got talked into starting a Facebook group for folks with all types of disabilities that are into nerdy/off beat hobbies. We're "The Disabled Nerds Guild" and it's shaping up to be a really amazing community!! Feel free to stop by!

3. I have a character that I want to be deaf (I plan to make a lil hearing aid) and I would love to get a doll that uses a wheelchair

4. What type of hearing aid are you thinking of? I'm not sure how to make an over-the-ear or in-the-ear one stick to my doll, so I went with a BAHA. Depending on my ambition, I might attempt a cochlear implant in the future.

5. I have a character I'm shelling right now but that I've had for several years and over time I've used to explore my issues with chronic pain, ptsd, and physical trauma. He's got a much more physically obvious manifestation of his issues though and will have several scars, a missing eye, and be in a wheelchair.

6. i have this pet charcter with robotic legs that i intend to turn it into a doll because i am an aspiring sculptor

7. My new doll will be narcoleptic like me :)

8. Three of my dolls are autistic (like me!) and one has chronic fatigue. I also have many other characters with various disabilities, some visible and some not, that I would love to shell at some point in the future. Seeing disabled bodies represented in the hobby always makes me so happy <3

9. Disabled doll update:
      -Jack is autistic, but he has no diagnosis because he lives in a D&D world, and even his 'modern AU' self is still a young man at a time when he wouldn't be given that diagnosis... It doesn't really get in the way of his day to day life, but then, in his day to day life he doesn't have to deal with anything he isn't able to (barring the odd run-in with a zombie horde). He's had to work hard to hone his charm to overcome innate social difficulties, though-- he's very sociable in small enough doses, and he cares about people, but sometimes has a hard time connecting to them, and his idea of 'friendly social gesture' can be viewed as odd. The work he pours into his social skills isn't so much to 'not look autistic', as that's not a thing to him, just to make sure people either like or ignore him. He moves his hands around a lot, sometimes fidgets with objects or drums on things.

-Deanna is also autistic-- the reason her modern AU counterpart wouldn't be diagnosed is because she puts a lot of work into consciously masking, though again in the D&D-verse, she couldn't name the thing she's masking, she's just aware she's putting up a bit of a front to hide the real her. Does a fair amount of stimming and hyperfixating, even if she hasn't got the words for it, and if it's displayed mostly in private or in a way that doesn't read as autistic. Really good foil for Jack, actually, because they're different in how they're affected by their brain chemistry and how they show or don't show it, and they have very different tastes and personalities, but they both care about and feel responsible for their loved ones in really similar ways.

10. I tend to loosely base my dolls’ characters off my friends and family as little love letters to them, and I feel that their disabilities are important elements to keep and represent.

Seth: Combat PTSD, ADHD, selective mutism. Tends to sign when overwhelmed and unable to speak.
      Leslie: Mobility issues with his knee due to injury, uses a cane. Autistic, special interests include Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and navigation.
      Devon: Blinded in one eye due to shenanigans. Scarring and nerve damage also due to shenanigans.
      Iggy: ADHD, hearing loss; uses hearing aids.
      Mercy: Undiagnosed autism. Special interests include songwriting and guitar.

11. :|Sorry for the double post, animals walked across the keyboard

12. My Charm Doll Rhea's foot was defective and I tied a ribbon around her leg elastic where her foot would go. I might end up leaving her like that as an amputee doll. I have an American Girl wheelchair she might look okay in.