1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls you don't like/play with as much

Apr 5, 2012

1. I've never sold a doll and have no intention of ever doing so - but then again I've only been in this hobby for less than a year, so goodness knows what may happen in the future :p. Of my five dolls to date, my tiny gets the least attention. She's so small and doesn't have a personality; I have bought her as a kind of luxury prop for one of my SDs...She's definitely staying, but she doesn't get much play time.

My three SDs and one MSD rotate when it comes to the amount of attention they get. Each doll gets an outfit that I make myself, and I'm occupied with one doll at a time. I was a little worried for a while because my MSD is on to his second outfit whereas Morgana, who was my second doll to arrive, got skipped and still didn't have anything when I'd already made a full outfit for my third and fourth dolls... But it turns out that she just needed a little time. I'm working on her outfit now :).

I don't feel the need to hurry on with a doll. I'm perfectly happy to leave him/her to sit around for a while until I am inspired to work with him/her. So far, each sculpt has lived up to my expectations, and when the doll is 'right', I'm at ease and I know I will love these resin 'people' and work something out for them.

2. I have two dolls that I bought because I love the sculpt, but they're characterless and resist any and all attempts to bond with them. I pretty much ignore them and only play with the rest of the doll family. I feel guilty about getting rid of them, but equally guilty for having expensive toys that I never play with.

3. All of my dolls are used mainly as display objects, so they get an equal amount of attention. However, I don't like some of them as much as I should. I wouldn't say I feel guilty, but I do wish I'd never bought some of the dolls I don't like as well. I do as much research as possible before buying, but sometimes there are limited owner's pictures available, and it's hard to predict if I'll like them in person.

I do feel guilty about some unpainted heads I have, though. I've been extremely busy and haven't taken the time to decide on what face-up I want and who to commission. I also feel slightly guilty that I haven't taken any pictures of my newest doll.

4. BJD's are so versatile; you can just change the eye color and he/she can seem like a different doll. If funds were no matter whatsoever; I would keep each and every single one.

5. With 25 dolls, I just CAN'T give them all equal attention! Some are very minor characters. My main two are my first two, Amir and Loki...but I've kind of gotten to the point of "Amir, Loki, Hansel, Mikko and Heath....nobody else matters." Which is not to say I don't enjoy the others, just that my top 5 always take priority....to the point others may go without a wig or body b/c one of my 5 needed a new shirt or shoes....

Sadly, I don't feel guilty. The minor characters are just that. Minor. and meant to be. Now if I started ignoring my top 5 for a minor character, THEN I'd feel guily and negligent.

6. I have a doll that I suppose I 'like', but I don't particularly relate to.

I'm used to having girly, cross-dressing boys (which reflect my own personality, I suppose) and I got the boyfriend of one of them, who is more masculine. I don't really... relate to him, to be honest. I can't seem to photograph him correctly or make clothes for him.

7. I felt a little guilty for putting my first doll up for sale on the MP, but I just haven't been able to find inspiration from her lately. I've tried different clothes, eyes, wigs and faceup, but nothing was working. I'm also taking a different direction with my collection, so I had to trim the fat, so to speak.

8. Most of the time I sell dolls that I don't play with or don't like as much. That's not to say that there aren't dolls That I don't play with as much but mainly that has more to do with who is newest and needs the most attention as far as sewing clothes, etc.

I'm sure I won't ever dollize any of my side characters because I just don't want that many dolls and it is too easy to just fill them in with my imagination.

9. I definitely have dolls who are minor characters. They do get less attention and less stuff, but I don't feel guilty. At most I feel a little silly for keeping dolls, I don't play with, as the money could go to other things, but in the end, I enjoy their characters, so I don't regret buying them. :)

10. "Guilt" isn't exactly the right word for what I feel. Overall, I wish I had time to play with all of my dolls a lot more than I do! But yes, I do have a lot of minor characters who don't get as much "air time" as they deserve. However, I get the distinct feeling that SOME of my dolls are glad I'm leaving them alone for a while! LOL!

My stories do focus on different characters, so everyone eventually gets their turn. And I haven't ever sold a BJD that I have introduced as a character in a story. But I definitely like some more than others and feature them more in stories.

This is a very intriguing idea, Muisje, and I have heard before that people do it. I like the idea of having "new" box openings without buying more dolls. And it must be fun to feel that love for a doll all over again after not seeing it for a while. Plus, right now since I am featuring my newest BJDs in their own separate storyline, my older favorite characters have temporarily taken a backseat to them. I enjoy having my BJDs out of their boxes, but it does make me feel more pressured to do something with all of them. So moving at a more relaxed pace sounds very appealing! Thanks for giving me something to think about.

Linda S.
      galatia9

11. this is why i stick to having only the one doll. because im afraid that i wont love them as much as my first one. i think if you arent absolutely in love with a sculpt, theres no point buying it.. although i dont have multiple bjds so i cant really make a judgement.

12. Oh dear. I have enough problems dealing with every day life obstacles. I would hate if my dolls started putting demands on me, too. My dolls are an outlet, not an obligation. I do photograph some more than others, I do have favorite dolls and less favorite dolls. But I don't feel guilty about it. I mean, I joke around. I'll say "I play favorites, but don't tell the others!"

13. No way do I have time to play with every doll all the time. These guys are inanimate. Their job is to sit in my living room and look magnificent-- and they do their jobs wonderfully. My job is to look at them and enjoy their beauty. :aheartbea When I have time to change their clothes or photograph them, it's lovely, but life doesn't provide a lot of free time.

lolz - I'm that way with my laundry. Sometimes it gets put off for so long that when I finally wash it, and then I get to find all these nice clean t-shirts that I haven't worn in so long, it's like Christmas! :whee:

14. Love that.

I do have ones I probably pick up more than others, with my two oldest dolls I don't play with them as much because they are 6 years old, I had lots of time with them when it was just the three of us. Their bodies are old, not as mobile as my newer double jointed dolls, so they don't pose as well, they are kinda floppy, which is good if you just wanna sit and hang though.

I also have a doll I'm very bonded too but don't really spend a whole bunch of time with her, she was very problematic, re-shelled three times, something would always go wrong so I don't like to pick her up in fear or more problems :lol: but I have a bond with the character.

15. I choose my doll very carefully. Maybe there will be a day that I don't like them as much as I do now, but I never sell them to others.

16. I have 6 dolls (well, 4 full dolls and 2 floating heads), and I always feel bad that they sit on the shelf all the time. But I love to look at them. They cheer me up. It's not that I don't love them all, it's more that I don't like/care to take pictures of them (or anything really). So they get their clothes changed and then are put back on the shelf or my bed. They're enjoyed by my friends who see them in person, but other than that I'm just glad to have them around.