1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolls you have no idea what to do with?

Jun 21, 2012

1. When I got my Senior Delf, I had a general idea of what I wanted to do with her. She came with a summer event head, which I didn't realize that I ordered her during the event period, so I was like ":? Did they send me the wrong order?". Mostly the ideas started when I started telling myself I wanted to get a male bjd but the event head didn't seem to fit with her so he's still boxed...for the past year and a half. Then my sister got involved and we started coming up with characters. Once we find a body, my event head will be going to her because she seems to have a better idea what to do with it and with what she had in mind, the event head looks pretty cute with her doll.

If she didn't get involved, I probably would have experimented face-ups on him in photoshop and see what would work.

2. I'm having that problem with my both my girls…. I have them but I have no idea what to do next. I'm not sure what my outlet of creativity I'm going to take with them. I don't really have characters for them but I do like stylizing them just haven't found a style I like for both.

3. I get that problem sometimes with a project, it helps, if you can to do a rough sketch literally, and sit and color it, or look to decorate it, then all these ideas spring to mind lol...
      Also, if you get a creative urge to make a wig, or jewelry, then it might flow over to customizing your doll...
      My worse case scenario is when some non believer calls my pet dolly a chucky doll, and the protective instinct comes out and I revamp her, just to prove how pretty she is to me lol...

4. I'm feeling incredibly jelly that you have Miku on preorder… if I had the money I would have snatched her up in heart beat *sigh* but what can you do. :atremblin

5. My Peak's Woods Yo-Sd. She was kind of an impulse buy at SMASH! and I've done nothing with her at all. The poor thing...

6. I've had a few that I just didn't know what to do with... usually sculpts that I just fell out of love with before I could dream up a character for them. Others were characters that I found a more suitable sculpt for, leaving behind an "empty shell" doll that I still loved but wasn't going to play with again. Rather than sell them, I gave them to friends. That way I could still see them, and I knew they were being loved again. :)

7. I have the same issue with the doll I bought.
      I'm a writer by trade and by my current schooling. Coming up with characters is all I've ever done. But now I'm presented with a body to cast a character into and I'm just...lost.
      Like I can't seem to find anything. It's buggin.

8. I have two of those sorts of dolls right not. I have a Bobobie Ariel who was a flower faerie when I first got her, but then somethings have happened... her wig fell apart... She no longer seems to fit, and yet I have no desire to get rid of her. I just do not know what to do with her. I also have a Volks FCS F-08, that I had a clear concept of his character when I ordered him but a year later he doesn't seem to really fit the concept, or maybe I just don't have him in the right clothes. Either way I am not sure what to do with either of them. I just know it is not as easy as a change of face up or eyes, especially in the case of the FCS.

So I bought the two dolls sort of matching outfits, put her in an old wig sat her next to him and suddenly they are siblings, though her normal skin looks almost tan next to his white skin. Now she just needs a more dramatic faceup.

I am hoping a new faceup will change how I feel about my newest boy because at the moment I am not bonding with him, and even his boyfriend is not happy with him.

9. I have two heads, a Juwel and a Jude from Withdoll and I really don't know what to do with them. An ex-boyfriend got them for me so it's kind of a weird situation and I keep trying to figure them out and haven't really yet.

10. The dolls I buy that don't have some sort of idea of character or design when I buy them are usually the ones to go live somewhere else.

11. Unfortunately dolls that don't fit usually end up being sold.

But I do try to give them a chance. I try different outfits, wigs, and eyes. I know this sounds odd but sometimes putting them next to a different doll can help too. But in the end if I can't make it work then it's time to for it to move on.

12. I've had a couple of dolls like this. I generally just wait until I think of a character that works for them. My Amber head had no character for almost two years, but then I bought my Ai twins and found a character for Amber that fit with them.

However, if I had a blank doll I had no character, I might be tempted to send them away to a face-up artist whose work I liked and just say "do whatever you like with this head". And then build a character around that face-up, rather than trying to imagine a character and base a face-up on it.

13. I have one doll and one floating head I'm not sure what to do with.
      DollLeaves Sandy (event doll) just sits there. He's cute but just too small for me.
      And LingFeng Doll Family-H head. I bought him on impulse and he's in box already nearly two years. :|

14. I do this too, I think partially because I collect a lot of other dolls aside from BJD so the "not-matching" issue was never really an issue here.

One of my BJDs was a gift of sorts, and not a sculpt I would have chosen on my own, so I did struggle to decide what I wanted to do with her. I will never sell her, but boy did I wonder about what I would do with her! I just put her on the backburner until a cool idea came my way. Now I'm pretty pumped to see my concept for her realized. :)

In a sense it's kind of liberating to have a doll like this. You feel less attached to them, but they're also available for all the cool experiments you might not have been willing to try out on your more established dolls. And, in time, you'll probably find some inspiration for how you'd like to keep the doll more permanently.

Editing to add:
      Oh yes! I've done this before a few times and it's always worked out great. If you love the sculpt and you love the artist, usually good things happen. ^^

15. When I first joined this hobby, I bought a ResinSoul Wu. He has stitches on his mouth and he had a really weird kind of grey faceup. I honsetly got him because he was gothy and cheap, but he wasn't the doll for me. I took out the grey weirdness from his face and bought him new eyes, but I still couldnt really get a feel for him. There was no bond. I get a lot of time to think at one of my jobs so I was brainstorming and sketching some ideas for a scarecrow doll, and then I realized I could use my Wu! So today, I gave him a new faceup, however keeping his mouth stitches. He looks incredible now. I just gotta make his clothes and I'll be good to go. I love him already!

16. Definitely had this issue a couple of times...

Usually, if I can't bond with a doll, I'll not feel too bad about selling him/her on, because it seems senseless to keep them around when they could be much more appreciated somewhere else.
      However, at the moment...my Delf Miyu, Imogen, is really being a problem. She's precious to me and don't want to sell her, but I really can't find her...style, I guess. :(

17. I have this issue right now and it's just really getting me down. A few years ago, I had decided to get out of the hobby and I sold all of my dolls. After a while of "getting away", I began to miss dolls and had the opportunity to buy one of my most favorite boys back, Leeke Mihael/SDF hybrid, Shaant. That was a year ago...and ugh. I just don't know. I cleaned him up, gave him a new face-up and it's...wierd. I like his mold, but I really want to upgrade him. He's been so special to me that I want to reward him or something, but I feel guilty thinking about selling him. I plan on buying a new mold for his female companion (IH Carina) and I'm afraid he's just going to look like some twerp next to her. I had planned on re-shelling him into an SID boy but I just don't know what to do with the current doll. Has anyone else experienced this? It's silly to get so attached to something like a doll, but I've had him 5-ever and he's been through A LOT with me. I've thought about keeping him and just upgrading..and having him as two dolls but...is that wierd? I feel like it's a waste having two dolls for one character just because I'm being sentimental. I fear if I sold him and got a new shell...if I didn't like the new shell I'd never be able to forgive my self. It's not like I can just go get a new one since Leeke's discontinued their boys. I've thought about selling the body and keeping his head, but I don't know... ;A; Am I attached to the doll or the character?

18. I've had this issue so many times. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! Sometimes I just really love a sculpt and think it would be perfect for a certain character (or sometimes I just want it and have no idea what I'm planning) and it can take years to figure out what to do with it. Some of them have changed characters and names four or five times before managing to settle into what I feel works best. Other times I just end up having to sell them even if I really like the mold because I just am not doing anything with them.

19. I have a few Yo-SD dolls and unfortunately realized I'm not a fan of that size. Honestly. I sell (or attempt to sell) ones I dont bond with and find no attachment to.

20. I don't think you're weird in having two dolls that shell the same character. I have two dolls that are both Ryuichi at different ages (16 years old and 31) and a faceplate for a third version that will be him at age 2 or so. You could do something similar to that, that way you get to keep the doll you love AND re-shell him/upgrade him. :D

There is no law that says that "when you upgrade a character, you HAVE to sell him." ;) There's nothing wrong with being sentimental over a loved doll/character. He makes you happy and that's all that counts. :3nodding:

Good luck!

To get on topic with the thread, I had a Elfdoll Hana Devil version of Ryuichi that I had absolutely no idea what to do with. I discovered after having him for a while that I was just NOT a fan of 20cm dolls nor of dolls that were supposed to still be in elementary school since he was supposed to be only 12 years old.

Luckily for me, I bought a 60cm version of Ryuichi and discovered that I am a fan of larger dolls. I ended up reshelling the 12 year old version of Ryuichi into a 16 year old MNF version and now I'm happy with my little skater boy!

I think his 2 year old version is going to stand around and be cute most of the time. ;)

Ryu