1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dollshe boys - pros & cons

Jul 25, 2005

1. This is where I am half-tempted to make Sai a box, just for kicks. Would just have to think of what to make it out of...

Either that, or it's time to go flittering in the Container Store.

2. my boy came from Luts - in is big bag , and then in a box
      he arrived perfectly , I love him to bits , but he has crazy waist and will collapse like a deck of cards - thats his fault
      I am gonna wire him , one day
      but he is just perfect sitting by me in the living room

3. I see the term 'crazy waist' and I visualize Hound wearing a hula outfit and doing the wackiest dances ever.

Then again, it's early morning as I type this, so my mind is a little strange right now..

4. When Bermann first came out, I didn't really like him. But seeing everyone else's over time, I've decided I think he's rather neat!

What are the good and bad things about owning a Bermann? Like, is his size overwhelming, are his eyes too small? Or is he just a fantastic doll?

Thanks for your input!

5. I don't have Berman but I do have Hound.

I personally LOVE his size. He is very statuesque and elegant. He wears clothes incredibly well as he is built like a model. Another plus to his size is he is very easy to sew for

Probably because of his sheer size, he isn't the world's best poser. That's alot of resin to get to stand. He will do it though, you just have to fight with him sometimes. Another down side to his size is there really aren't any female dolls that are quite tall enough for him.

I like his smaller eyes as they are more realistic scale to me, but if you want them larger you could modify the socket.

Personally I love these boys so much that it is hard for me to find fault with them.

6. I love my Hound!

But actually, when I got him, I thought to myself, "He looks just like every other Hound out there... :( " But quickly got over that after I put him in the eyes and wig I had bought for him and added eyelashes, and he's exactly who I imagined now. :grin:

One down side for me, as I cannot sew to save my life, is that there aren't a lot of clothes out there to buy, but I think that's rapidly changing. I am also trying to get used to the way he sits.

Overall, though, he's gorgeous, tall and leggy, and has great hands and beautiful broad shoulders. I'm totally in love with him! :D

7. I have a Hound, so can't comment on the Bermann face sculpt, but can on the V1 Hound body.

Pros--very well sculpted, the joints make him more flexible than some of the other BJDs. Very beautiful looking. The V2 body is (to me) even better looking. Hands/fingers are very lovely. He is big, but doesn't look too strange next to my Shiwoo and Calvin (probably because their facial features are somewhat similar-except Calvin's huge eyes).

Cons--I have the V1 body, and it is very "floppy," for lack of a better word. However, I believe that can be fixed with a bit of sueding and tightening the elastic. The torso in particular tends to pull apart at the joints. The V2 body is supposed to be better in this regard, especially in the torso. He is very big, and if you are used to handling MSD-sized BJDs, he may seem overwhelming. I did manage to get him to stand on his own, even in his current "floppy" stage. However, it does take a bit of extra effort to get him balanced properly. I think that sueding him will help in that regard.

Another con is that his feet and hands are not attached by S-hooks, but the elastic from the arms/legs is threaded all the way through. This complicates removing his hands/feet for any reason (say, to blush or paint them), as you need to unstring him to get them off. Probably the best thing to do is if you need to unstring him for any reason, is to use twine or ribbon to reattach his hands/feet to the arm/leg elastic, rather than stringing the elastic through again.

As for his head, I really, really love the Hound sculpt. His eyes are small (14 mm), but not weirdly small. Part of that is because his eyelids are lowered a bit, instead of being wide-eyed like my Shiwoo and Calvin. He appears a bit older than my other boys, which is the look I wanted. On my version, his head is just held on with a rubberband and the tabs on the headcap. I believe on the newer version, there are magnets. That would be an improvement, and I may try to get some very thin magnets for mine, as his headcap is a bit loose. It stays on, but there is a bit of a gap, especially compared to my Shiwoo.

All in all, I am really glad I got my Hound, and I think once I have him sueded and his elastic tightened, he's going to be really fun to pose and play with.

But he is big. :lol:

Michelle

8. Hound v2 too here. He's fantastic. xD; His head is a little small, so it may be hard to find wigs that'll fit properly, and of course the clothes issue. But since there are lots of people who have Hounds nowadays, it shouldn't be hard to find pants long enough for him. Shirts fit pretty well also, the sleeves are just a bit short. For instance, I've got Grem wearing a Luts long-sleeved shirt right now. They're just short enough on him to look like a normal 3/4 sleeved shirt, so it's fine. ^^;

The one thing, though, that you really do have to fight to pose them. It may just be because he's kind of loosely strung, but Grem is a little floppy. Also, the hip joint: GRRR! It's very shallow so it's always popping out of place, causing a perfect pose to sudden flop over backwards. I think that there's a way to fix this, though, I'm not sure.

I'd say go for it! Dollshe boys are exquisite to look at, but they're even more amazing in your own hands.

9. Thanks all! *runs off to read everything she can* =P

10. I sold all of my large dolls ,I never liked to handle them like my tiny dolls, I was never attatched to them like my tiny ones , even my Unoa , I sold
      I did like Berman ..not OMG I have to have him like ,I thought him interesting
      I told myself I would never have a large doll again.
      but then I saw Hound ...I shook , when I saw him on Luts , I wanted him so bad
      it was heart ache waiting for him ,
      He is so large ! sometimes I wonder what he it is about him
      ask anyone over on Hound Calling , there is something very special about the Dollshe Boys , you either love them with a passion ...or you dont
      He is big and large ...his legs go on for miles , his hands ,belong to an artist , and I love mine

11. Jacques-Yves de Puy, Comte de Havre de Grace lives with me. Although he cheats at cards and one cannot believe much that he says, he poses for hours without complaining or moving. He bends where I want him to. He never kicks me like Sying or collapses without warning like Morganna Fey. Le Comte did have a rather serious problem area around his hips which from time to time gave him a...how do I say it delicately..a potbelly, but non-surgical techniques suggested by Christy, Vincente and Timoteus solved this problem.

He's very heavy. A two-handed doll. There's no way I'd carry him around to take location pix. Besides, that's what PhotoShop is for!

Elegant, languid, a dream to sew for and dress, Anu's Bermann Valentino is beautiful in a realistic/fantasy way. He called to me in his red outfit long before Anu put up the pictures of him. I don't know how, but he did and when I saw him, I was first in line. Literally.
      :daisy

see pix here - newest at bottom of page:
      http://www.lapetiteattitude.com/CollectionPrivee.html

12. I have TWO HOUNDS!! I ADORE this doll. EVERYTHING about him is perfect. His sizing is wonderful, his sculpt incredible, and he's just a treasure to hold, look at and work with. I have the older body type v1 and the newer body type v2. The newer type is better because they corrected some of the floppiness. That's been his 'only' flaw. His eyes are perfect, realistic and he looks older. I did not want an anime looking doll with the huge eyes that looks seven but is refer to as a fifteen year older. Just wasn't a preference for me although there are some beautiful dolls like that.

And I will be DEFINITELY GETTING a Bermann this year!!! :oops:

Yes, go out to tensiya: http://www.tensiya.com/ and look around and order yourself a Hound. He's incredible to hold and carry everywhere and he doesn't feel like a dead weight at all. My SD13 Heath is heavier than my Hound.

LOVES my HOUNDS!! Bow WOW!! :wink:

13. I've got a Bermann and I will be sueding his joints so he can hold more poses and sanding the insides of his eye sockets so his eyeballs rest more flush with the contour, but those aren't really con's are they? Sure, he's currently got that crazy back/hip joint problem but Magnus really just wants to lounge about, smoke and play cards, so standing is not his priority, just mine for him.

I've been playing around with three different dolls lately, and though I love them all, nobody is more photogenic than Magnus. The camera loves him! He's not as heavy as a Volks boy and he is quite easy to sew for. I will never part with him.

Oh, and although he's well known for having beautiful hands he's got the funniest looking feet, not bad, just funny. Long graceful hands, 'lil piggy toes. :grin:

14. I stare & stare at him all day. Sometimes he looks pensive, or appreciative, or a little sad, sometimes he smiles. Whenever I am in the house, he is near me. He always seems to be waiting for something, but he is a great companion to watch scary movies with. He will hold Circe's hand during the series of Steven King movies they are showing here right now, & pay close attention to CSI with her (her favourite show)

At first, they seemed awkward together: they'd sit on my couch like bookends, trying not to look at eachother, but last week, I put them to sleep there, on opposite ends, rather than taking Circe upstairs to her bed. Benedict would not lie flat. As I pushed him down, he slightly sat up again (I knmow, tightly-strung!) & peered down the length of the couch to look at her. When i came down the next morning, he was still watching her sleep.

Now they are sitting together, sometimes they hold hands, or she has her hand on his knee. The atmosphere in the room has changed altogether. I'm not certain it is romance, but they have surely become friends.

What I'm saying, in my crazy, round-about way, is that Hound is incredibly expressive, both in his facial structure & his beautiful hands.

My only real complaint is that I'm afraid to try & stand him up, in case he falls & hurts himself. I'm such a big wuss! He's been sitting or lying for weeks, now, & I'm just scared stiff that I'll drop him & he'll... um... fall into tiny pieces or something.

Paranoid? Moi?

Lucy

15. Pros:

- Hounds, like someone said above me, are extremely expressive. I have left Sorrow in the same position for one day beside my computre, and yesterday he looked upset, today he looks like he's going to plot something evil, he has an extremely cheeky look on his face.

- the HANDS. They are so beautiful and long, I have a thing for long hands anyway so it was fantastic to find that my doll had beautifully sculpted long fingers.

- photogenic. I cannot take a bad picture of this guy.

Cons:

- floppy hip joint, it just rocks and rolls around of it's own accord, though i've grown to love that. Also the V2s have been modified to work better so the problem is no longer there.

- without wiring or stringing, he will only stand without his shoes off and with a hell of a lot of patience.

- Awkward to carry, and he comes with a huge Dollshe bag that looks like it could double as a lifeboat (that would sink quickly).

16. LOL. Bermann does have little boy feet! all his other parts (ahem) are very grownup, but those feet and cute little toes are adorable. :chibi

17. Funny, I never really looked at Armand's toes, but you are all right! They are kidlike, too funny.........

18. God, I can't wait for my Bermann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all are just pouring fuel on the fire! :grin:

19. Sorry Steph! But not too sorry, after all he IS coming to live with you too!!! :D
      Once he comes into your house, please shoot him, repeatedly, with your camera.