1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Lifehacks!

Jan 13, 2017

1. I'm curious if anyone has any tips for improvising things like doll furniture and accessories during quarantine when most stores are closed and you can only buy essentials

2. Cardboard, cardboard, cardboard! With an exacto knife, glue/tape, and paint you can make just about anything!

3. This is going to sound silly, but: sticks. They're just outside, they're free, and you can make all kinds of stuff out of them! You can build furniture, create props (staffs, wands, etc.), and whatever else you can think of. It's best for rustic decor, since even shaved of bark they'll still be obviously wood, but if you're really gung-ho you can sand/carve them down into smooth shapes. It's free real estate wood!

My only tips here are to make sure the wood is dry, and test it (try to "bend" it, see if it snaps easy) to make sure it's not rotten.

4. Make friends with someone who has grape vines...
      Vines have to be pruned every year, and the cuttings are strong, flexible and can be woven into all sorts of things.

5. Cheap plastic furniture for playline dolls can get a new look with spraypaint so they're not so....pink and cheap-looking.

Also, if you can order in a sheet of balsa wood, it's strong yet easy to carve. :)

6. I’ve got a few. My favorite trick is keeping a “decapitation cord” in the head. About a foot of ribbon, fabric scraps, or thick yarn can fit in a msd head if you ball it up. If I use a slightly wider strip of woven fabric, it can easily bunch up in the curve of the s-hook, but spread out when pulling so it isn’t cutting into your hands as much. It’s easy, portable, and cheaper than the real tools. Just don’t pick one that stains or anything too thin; you have to wrap the cord around your hands or fingers to get a good grip and tension. Thin string will leave red marks on your hands. Wider cords need the same pressure, but it spreads it out.

I found out the hard way that tape apparently works on ink stains. I accidentally got ink from a ball point pen on one of my dolls, then she sat for about a day before I noticed it. By taking scotch tape, pressing it down and rubbing on the stain, then pulling it back off repeatedly, I was able to get a lot off before I went for the magic eraser. Then rinse a bit to make sure the sticky is off. Not perfect and I only tried on non-sealed resin, but it’s a good quick fix.

A simple tube top out of ribbed knit fabric will help keep female dolls from “showing” through their thin shirts. It will slightly bulk out the doll so a bodice or shirt might not fit the same, but the front will look smoother. The texture will keep anything from poking through too visibly.