1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Math

Nov 15, 2009

1. Absolutely agreed.

My answers are "too much" and "I'll never really realize, because there are so many incidental things that add up, too". I really don't want to know. I really don't.

2. I choose not to count, I'd rather not know! Besides the way the currency exchange has been going this past year I've ended up having to pay alot more for items (one jumped from £350 to over £500 because of exchange rates) so the exact number is hard to conclude really. I should've probably written how much I'd spent down xD!

3. well so far I've spent about £200, I'm trying to keep costs low by making all their clothes if I can, having said that I've spent £20 on fabric in the last week and my first doll has not even arrived. I know by the end of next year I will have bought at least 2 more dolls, so I guess it'll soon be £1000 + spent. It doesn't shock me too much, when I think about what I used to spend on my other hobbies it works out the same.

4. I have only kept loose track on what I spent on actual dolls, not wigs, shoes, clothing, eyes, or other accessories for them. I also quit accounting after a certain time and I don't regret it either. They make me happy and I love them. That's all that matters!

5. Somewhere near $2400 after I deduct the ones I've sold, but with one of my dolls and her wardrobe as well as a whole bunch of kelly clothing my mom bought being a gift, I'd say a little over 2k. Ugh, I don't like thinking about it.

6. Other might find it weird.... but this is something I like to know... Its something I like to keep track of... but right now I'm too busy to try and found out everything xP

Some of the things I do not count in it (Acrylic and pastels) since I would of bought them anyway... I like to try new things sometimes xD

I'm sure I want over 1000$ though... or really close to it.

7. I know how much I have spent, I know how much I have earned, I know how much my dolls were worth when I bought them and if they have appreciated or depreciated in value, and I know how much I will spend in future.

Simple fact is I have spent a lot, our house has 30 dolls in it, so I know I have spent shitloads, that said I have actually aquired more value in dolls than I have in monetary outlay, so I am ahead of the game. On top of that I do not look at them as a cost, but as an investment in my own enjoyment. I was just talkig to my partner about this today, and made one simple point: If that is all I have spent on my simple pleasure in the past 5 years then I am well ahead of him, who has more hobbies than I can list, likes to spend money, and likes to party. I save, I scrimp, I work and I enjoy one or two hobbies, which in the end are mostly related to dolls.

8. o.o
      Not counting clothes, furnishings etc. I've hit $8560 and the majority of that was for 2 different dolls.
      I'd faint but... the floor is cold.

9. I thought this would be really fun and eye opening to do~ :lol: so here we go!

Bobobie sprite + Bobobie Apollo =$332.00
      +
      Luts kid boy ani + clothes = $674.00
      +
      Outfit for sprite = $704.00
      +
      Outfit for SD = Okay I'm guessing by now its bordering about.... $900.00 to about $1000.00

OMG NO. This is so incredibly eye opening! I never realized just how much I've actually spent on dolls and things for them... I'm kind of in shock and amazement... :doh

And thinking about all those people with so many more dolls then me.....
      Wow.

10. This.

I know precisely how much and where it went, and I don't regret a penny of it.

11. I honestly hadn't considered some of your intakes; whether it be from re-selling dolls or earning money through BJDs from commisions. But aside from that...
      This was supposed to be an eye-opener haha. It certainly opened my eyes. Though I do not think of it in a bad way. More of a realization of the passion I must have for this hobby, as many of you are displaying also.

12. Seeing as I've spent about $750 on wigs alone.... yeah I'm not going to be adding up the rest of it.

But I don't regret anything as I love my dolls and they mean more to mean then what I might have spent that money on. But now I'm thinking that I should probably clean out the wig bin.

13. I'm not really sure what to think, good or bad. While its a hobby that I'd like to get even more into I actually feel kind of bad about it... Because I actually had a lot of help from my boyfriend and a little from my mother.. So when I think deep about it I actually feel.... really bad for it towards my loved ones who helped me :...(

Don't get me wrong i love my dolls.

14. Nearing a $1,000 if not a little over it. >.>" This isn't the hobby I spend the most on. lolll

15. I did add things up a while back, but I haven't recently. I know it's been quite a large sum of money over the past 4.5 years. However, the hobby is very fulfilling for me and I feel like I get so much enjoyment that the money is well worth it. I don't find it useful to think about what I could have spent the money on--I mean, no matter what you do, there are always other things you could have done. But if the expenditure has not caused you problems and the hobby is enjoyable, why worry about it? There are much worse things to spend money on the dolls :) Actually, doll stuff and books are the items I spend the most on, but I enjoy them more than say new clothes for myself or electronics etc.

16. I have...six dolls. On them, I've spent around 1.8K alone. I've made the majority of their clothes/swapped for them. So clothes and shoes probably comes to $200. Eyes and wigs...Probably $100. Things for them, well, they don't have a lot of things...less than $50. They all have free faceups, factory faceups, or home done ones. I'd add up another bit for shipping and packaging materials, but then I've sold some things too. So the grand total is about $2200. That's a lot of money to have spent in less than a year...but this is my ONLY thing that I spend a lot of money on. Plus I graduated from High School this year, and that brought in a lot of money. I don't like to shop for clothes or shoes or anything like that. I occasionally get books, but people give me lots of bookstore gift cards. I love my dolls, I love having my dolls, and I would...mayybe not get my puki if I had to do it all again.

17. I wouldn't be surprised if I've spent as much as $3500 on this hobby. However, that includes a nice camera which I probably would not have bought were it not for dolls.

Really, as much money as that is, I don't regret it at all. Certainly the amount shocks me, but what shocks me even more is all the money I've wasted on stupid shit in the past. At least now I can see where large chunks of my money go; I am much more careful with which clothes I buy, and how often I eat out at nice places, etc.

18. OMGosh, this is a very evil thread. Too much money. I am scared to even start to add it up but I spent easily just on dolls wow I am too embarrassed to even say. I have bought lots of dolls but some of them have been re-homed but even then I have spent a lot. Don't even get me started on clothes I purchased the entire Bitten Collection. I wow I think I have a serious problem lool

19. Lol, tell me about it.
      I have a spreadsheet title "Sticking my head in the sand" that tracks all my doll spending.

Crazy little stuff adds up... taking another look at it I have spent nearly $28 on those little lip gloss soda cans. :sweat

20. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 to 900 USD. This isn't including the vast amount of fabric that I purchased when I realized that I was indeed going to get my BJDs. The funny thing is I don't even have my dolls yet, so I'm sitting around waiting for them to come home, surrounded by a bunch of stuff for them.