1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Math

Nov 15, 2009

1. Okay, counting everything I'm looking at about $600 over the past 3 years and that's counting some of the stuff I'm getting for a graduation present and materials that I need to do face-ups at home. It's not counting my second doll though since I haven't ordered her.

2. In around 9 months a little over $1000 CAD <.< which really could have gone towards books for school or such, but I love my girl anyways and I always wanted a nice doll too! So it was totally worth the money :D

3. Oh lords I don't like thinking about it.... My two dolls equated to about $500 Three wigs equaling $55, assorted clothes.... thats my big part.... Close to $200? Something like that, counting what I have bought from DDE, the marketplace, and the doll place here in town... And funny, I've only had my first doll since end of September.

4. er ... around $17,000 but that might not take into account all of the wigs and eyes and furniture ... :horror:

5. I know exactly how much I've spend on this hobby the last four years and I'm not in the least surprised. Actually, considering the dolls I have on my wishlist I'm happy that it didn't turn out to be much more.

Sure it's a lot of money, but you know what; it's the only costly hobby I have (all my other hobby's don't cost a dime) and I hardly buy anything for myself, including new clothes or that new cell phone/tv/game console. I think I'm allowed to have at least one thing I can spoil myself with.

6. I've spent maybe like... 1800 so far? And that's counting faceup supplies. I've purchased 3 tops and a skirt, and 2 pairs of shoes grand total for outfits- and everything but the shoes was second hand. I insist on making clothes to save money, and I only buy one wig per doll- unless it isn't the right style... I had some problems finding a nice one for Morghan though, so he has two... Honestly, I'm surprised that it's not more... In fact, it might be a good bit less... more around like $1500, which totals general expenses for one year of college. I don't feel so worried really, now- because that includes 4 full dolls, and 2 floating heads, plus an entire bag of faceup supplies XD
      Not too shabby....

7. oh, i dont think i could even count mine :s...

Ok, I'm gonna have to guess about, maybe $10,000+

8. I think I may have spent close to &#8364;300,- already on this hobby in total. My doll has cost $180, excluding shipment and customs which was shared in the group order. The rest is accesories like a couple of wigs, two pairs of shoes and a few smaller items.
      But I love making outfits and stuff and I have gotten a lot of fabric leftovers over the past year so there´s hardly any need for getting new material to make outfits.

9. If I sat down and tallied it out, I might be able to come up with a solid figure, but it would involve a lot of math since I do quite a bit of buying and selling both. I could throw out a ballpark estimate right now, quickly estimated from the dolls and the majority of the items I've bought.

Needless to say... it is a considerable amount, but I am fully cognizant of how much I spend. I actually have a separate "dolly budget", a specific amount of money deposited from each paycheck into a checking account that I only use for "luxury spending". This can include anything from a nice dinner out with friends, to a new outfit for myself, a video game, or (usually) doll stuff.

I have noticed that my doll hobby has eclipsed other hobbies I used to have, so I'd also have to take into account the fact that I'm not really buying stuff like manga anymore. So yes... it is a lot of money, but it's a lot of money spent on something that I enjoy... and it's money I can afford to spend on luxuries. As long as it's not putting a strain on anyone's budget or forcing them heavily into credit card debt, I don't think it really matters all that much.

10. Nowhere near as much as I spend on my other hobby, my horse.:)

11. Not much at all, i spend more money travelling than buying stuff for my dolls ^^

12. It interests me that some of you keep spreadsheets and extremely detailed accounts of how much you spend on the doll stuff. I wasn't expecting some of the answers to be so exact. Why would you start a detailed reccord on all that you spend on this hobby? Or is it just some kind of hobby money tracking technique that I am unaware of?

13. For me, it's because I have a hobby limit, unless I keep track I'll have no idea how close I am to my limit. :sweat I knew 6 months before I even joined DoA that this hobby would be expensive from the friends who got me into the hobby, and the one number thing they all kept saying was to watch your finances carefully, as a few of them have accidentally overspent because they forgot to add in shipping, paypal fees or other fees.

They were absolutely right and it was their advice to watch my spending which has caused things to work out so well for me up to this point. I think without a hobby limit I would never be able to be happy with what I've got and just keep buying and buying until I become unhappy with some of my older dolls, etc. *_* This way, I only buy things I know I'll want for years, not just something I like at the moment. Having a limit stops impulse buys wonderfully.

14. In the past 4 years, I am estimating I have spent around $5000 on my 6 mini MSDs, and their stuff. They have tons of clothes, way to many wigs, and a boatload of shoes. Speaking of boats, my husband spent $25,000 on his boat so I am way under!

I used to keep track of my spending and selling, but I have really slowed down the acquistion process lately. So much stuff can get to be overwhelming.

Whatever, my bjds bring me a lot of joy and they are worth it --totally!

15. I can honestly say I don't really care to know.

: )

16. I just did a quick run through of how much I've spent on blank dolls alone and it's pretty much $5000. That being said, there have been face ups and shipping, clothes and other things all ontop of that. And I've only been in this hobby around a year now. I know I'll be spending much more in the future but honestly... I love my dolls and I've stopped every other hobby I had to facilitate it. I don't regret it at all. ^_^

17. Totally agreed.:XD: Visited this thread yesterday, and started doing the math in my head---by the time I reached my 3rd doll and her price I just decided to stop counting before I started getting visions of fire raining from the skies and my bank account bursting into flame and such. =w=;;; Nope! No counting for me! Too unnerving a prospect is that!:sweat They're here now, they're all paid for, and I'm happy and adore them regardless of their monetary value. That's all I need to know.:):aheartbea

18. How much money have you spent on BJDs all together?
      Well, I am not going to give the exact number, also because I am too lazy to calculate at this moment, but I have done it in the past and I know it is a lot. Really a lot.

Did you realize until now how much, in total, you have spent on this hobby?
      Yes, I have answered this kind of questions before and especially with my Soomies the number adds up fast.

And I have also made a calculation on how much money I am going to spend next years on dolls. That would be about $3000 at least. Not that I am rich, but just because I prefer to spend my money on dolls instead of other things.

So at first when I saw the large number of money I spend on my dolls so far, I was sort of shocked. But now I realize that I don't really care. I know it is a lot. But it makes me happy. And some people prefer to spend their money on cars or vacations and such. I don't. And I feel totally happy about it.
      So now when I see the number of how much I spend or how much I am going to spend on them next year, I am not shocked anymore.

19. I have two not-so-cheap SDs and planning to buy the 3rd one. It would be maybe up to $2500 in total, including eyes, wigs and materials such as hair, fabric for clothes and leather for shoes. I do not think this bothers me as I surely can afford the hobby) More, I saved heaps of money making faceups, all the clothes, shoes and lots of accessories for my dolls by myself.

I'd rather call it not a hobby but a helpful habbit. I try to track ALL my income and outcome, not only dolly one.

20. Oh god I dread to think how much I've spent, definitely up in the $4-5k mark, but the most expensive bits for me (other than dolls) were a sofa for them to live on, and a kimono that was made by a proper kimono maker (do they have a name? seamstress?? 0_o??)

Most of my dolls bits and pieces were dirt cheap, or hand made by me and my sisters so I like think that I've saved money there XP