1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Math

Nov 15, 2009

1. Hear, hear!

I decided a while back that if I'd not gotten into dolls we would have had that kitchen remodel... but with young kids and young cats, I prefer the dolls! :)

2. I think I'm hovering around the $1,700CAD mark. That's give or take about $50.

What I've bought on it:
      Luts Delf Lu-Wen Limited
      Wig and eyes for above
      Iplehouse Noctarcana Circus Luna Tamer
      Shoes for above
      4 sets of key chain sneakers

I'm sure it's not the end of the spending either. I plan to get the two a carrying case and possibly another doll in the summer. I don't regret any of it though and I have been semi-keeping track of what I've spent on this hobby :D.

I work part time, go to school full time, and volunteer once a week. So it's not like money isn't constantly coming in. Of course I do owe my parents quite a bit for a vacation I took this summer but to be honest, over the past 4 years of university, I've spent all the money I had saved up on things like eye surgery for myself, two trips to exotic places, 2 years of tuition, and textbooks. So I feel good about buying the dolls for myself, regardless of how much I've spent ^^.

Also, I don't have any reason to buy cars or things like that yet :).

EDIT: This thread also made me roughly estimate how much my manga and action figures have cost me. At least $950. ($580 is just the manga and I'm not done my collection yet xD.)

3. Wow! I guess I am not alone... Yeah --- everyone that's asked me how much they cost are utterly shocked... The most expensive doll I've bought at retail price was $1100 + tax. The most I've paid for a 2nd hand doll is $1000+shipping.
      I'm not exactly a starving student here, but I'm doing the math on my current assets based on purchase price (not on deflated or inflated values) I'd have about $6000 - $7000 in extra cash if I were to liquidate my doll assets. >_< And I am still collecting...

What I've found to help is that I've limited myself to 6 resin dolls, and 2 DDs (my Chobits twins), so I have to choose wisely who to keep and who to spare.
      When all is said and done, if one day I were ever to need that money, or if I ever decide to leave this hobby, there would be at least 2 dolls that will forever remain with me--my first 2, they're more than just dolls at that point, they're almost a part of you... Sure I'll live without them, but i will NEVER be the same again! :O

I have bought and sold some over the years, but most of those have sold for roughly the tag price.

4. Yes, I have a ballpark idea of how much (I've kept every PayPal receipt)-- but no, I don't do the math & I don't do regrets. I don't keep spreadsheets on anything I do out of love. How many hundreds of thousands of dollars' worth of books, dolls, movies, art, snowglobes, shoes, jackets, action-figures, leather goods, comic books, art-supplies, vacations, and Christmas gifts have I spent in my life? Who cares?

I guess maybe it's a fun exercise for you kids who are just getting into things & can still remember your start-date. :XD: But, some of us old farts who already have a solid sense of our finances & have already been accumulating worldly goods for a looong long time.... naaaah. I have better things to do with life than count it.

5. Almost 3.5k

......I weep inside : /

6. I was at $2000 by my first four months in this hobby! I'm at almost $4000 US with just the dolls alone, probably more if I factor in shipping/customs charges, and wildly fluctuating exchange rates (the Canadian dollar for awhile - just...OUCH on that). They were all too long ago for me to remember for sure how much and what for. Once I factor in all the other things...never mind. I don't want to know the full amount. Especially since I have come to the brutal realization this week that I am nowhere near as close to done as I thought I was >.<

I'm gainfully employed in a recession-proof industry. I pay my rent on time. I tuck money away for a rainy day. All the rest is 'me' money so...I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much. Besides, these guys have been such an inspiration to me - they're worth far more to me than what I paid for them.

All counting this up has done has made me reconsider getting that extra coverage on my tenant's insurance...it might be a much better idea than I'd anticipated.

7. So far I've spent or am about to spend about 1.5k-2k on dolls and their clothes, face ups, etc. And that's just within a few months! Judging by my wish list, I'm pretty sure I'll hit the 5k mark by the end of next year. -_-; I sometimes regret spending so much on dolls, especially with the exchange rate and everything but I really enjoy this hobby and I'm happy with my purchases so that's that.

8. About 1200 dollars. I just spend whatever money I have to spend on "things" because I don't have a job, but I still live under the care of my parents, so I don't have to worry about rent and things like that. I'm trying to sell some tings to recoup a little of my costs, but of course I'll turn around and use it to buy another doll XD I only have tinies, so It's not bad. But mostly limited fullsets, so it adds up, fore sure. Somehow, it's worth it though! I'd rather have them than the latest video games, and things like that ^^

9. OMG I don't want to do the math...let me check my paypal for the last seven months since I started...*punching keys frantically on the calculator* $2850 in seven months*_* :)Oh Well! I love them!

10. I spent roughly 2.6k on dolls total. That money circulates though, because I buy, sell, buy. Right now I have about 1.6k (original purchase value) of dolls and things. >.<

11. *cough* so I just pulled up Quicken and looked to see how much I've spent on the category "Entertainment: BJD". Yeow. Took my breath away for a bit there!

But... How much does therapy cost per hour now, anyway? :lol: :aheartbea

ETA: Then I sat and thought about it and realized that that number also includes all the dolls that belong to both my daughters, and that we 3 share the clothes, wigs, yadda yadda.... so I guess it's not as bad as all that. Divide that Great. Big. Honking. Number by 39 months and 3 people, and it's fairly reasonable.

Sort of!
      Well. Reasonable in that everything else gets taken care of first. If not for that I'd be marching right up to the psych ward... ;)

12. Oh gosh, O.o I'd say well over 2k (almost 3k even) for what I have now. But total? I'd say closer to over 4k but from the stuff I had before that I've sold I got most of that back so dunno if that counts :3 lol I'll probably spend lots more in the future lol I kind of look at it as an investment ^^ Although thinking about it makes my wallet/bank weep ><;;

13. doll: 114$ [BBB ariel] shipping: 30$
      wig: 14$
      dress: 14$
      Shoes 3$
      new wig: 15$ + 14$ shipping
      New outfit, eyes, wig, ect, + shippin: 90$
      Money spent on faceup stuff:
      brushes; 40 bucks
      paint; 12 bucks
      pastelles; 12 bucks
      TDC; 2 cans, 20 bucks.
      OH~!
      new shoes; 40 bucks
      magic erasers 10 bucks
      =
      428 bucks o.o
      Edit

props:
      160 bucks
      588 bucks xDD

14. I've been in this hobby for nearly 5 years now and with the number of dolls I've bought over the years, it wouldn't surprise me if I'm up into 5-figure sums by now. I've probably spent a good $2K just on boots and shoes alone, and probably another $1K on eyes and wigs. Clothing probably comes to about $300 or so - mainly because I make nearly all my dolls' clothing myself.

I currently have 13 complete dolls plus two floating heads, and there are a further 8 complete dolls I've owned in the past but have since rehomed. So, yeah, it would be a 5-figure sum; the exact amount doesn't bother me though. I don't regret a single penny of it, and it's been far cheaper than, say, owning a car and keeping on the road for the past 5 years would have been - and brought me far more enjoyment.

15. The ridiculous part here is not how much I've spent...it's that I was able to remember the cost of each individual doll, without having to look anything up. I have (currently) 21 complete dolls. I started collecting in 2003. So remembering what I paid for them all...THAT is ridiculous.

16. I prefer not thinking about it, but I must have spent approximately 3000 dollars.

17. The last time my boyfriend and I did the math, we realized we could have taken 7 or 8 - 1 week long trips to Japan [including airfair, food, room & board and spending $$$] for the amount I've spent on dolls.

I'll make it to Japan someday. For now, I prefer importing my dolls from there...

18. I'm guessing between $1500 and $2000. This is ONLY for the BJDs, not including other doll types. Tierney (BBB Pixie) and Leander (DZ Yuu) were gifts, so I didn't count them, both of my hybrids were second hand, which saved me some money. Most of the money was spent on the other 4 dolls, then wigs and shoes and eyes for everybody. I make almost all of their clothes, so luckily I save a huge chunk of money there.

I don't regret it at all. Its not money that should have been used for bills or groceries or gas or anything. Of the 6 dolls I've bought for myself, the money for 5 whole dolls and a body came from money I made from selling my old Bratz and Barbies and other random toys. Only the head for my last boy came out of a paycheck.

19. How much money have you spent on BJDs all together?
      haha OTL;; it's so hard to count. but i've had two dolls in the past (i sold them(but still selling one hhuhu) and clothes for each. one of them was like $980 all together, and the second one was like $480.
      now this next one i want is coming with no eyes or clothes, but is $800!
      so, $2,260.

Did you realize until now how much, in total, you have spent on this hobby?

of course! but i also realize i will probably always be only a one-dolly or two-dolly guy. i know how much i spend and i don't feel guilty or anything (i've always been free with money HA) but i just know that i am extremely lucky to be able to have them. i know, for instance, that there are WAY more expensive hobbies, but i also am thankful that good money is made, so that i can indulge in my hobbys. :--D

20. How much money have you spent on BJDs all together?
      Around $2000 on just dolls XD if it included the outfits it might be a little higher.

Did you realize until now how much, in total, you have spent on this hobby?
      Hm...I knew it was a little much but until now I didnt add in my recent order for my breakaways head XD I still figured I was safely in the $1000 area :sweat

I dont mind though, most were gits so its fine~ :aheartbea