1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolly Spreadsheets

Dec 3, 2021

1. I've been teaching myself how to make spreadsheets using Google Sheets, and I decided a great way to puzzle things out was to make a spreadsheet of my BJD Expenses! I have the itemized receipts so I can put everything in one by one and see if the numbers match up at the end! Like a study guide!

Oh. I uh... Perhaps I should have chosen something else to use as a trial run.

I've spent how much?

And that's not even including trips to Michaels or Joannes for random bits of fabric and ribbons and cute buttons..

1- I love my spreadsheet. I got so immersed into what I was doing that I not only have things by the groups they were bought in, but also by category. This is making my micro-managing heart overflow with joy and wonder 'how else can I arrange things to make it even MORE specific?'

2- Don't do this unless you REALLY want to know how much money you've poured into dolls. (On the other hand... the satisfaction of a nicely compiled list is just.. <3. And the visual knowledge of how many things that still waiting to come in might keep someone from buying more?)

Now for the actual discussion part = How do you keep track of your dolls? DO you keep track of your dolls? AREN'T SPREADSHEETS AMAZING?

2. I make spreadsheets for pretty much anything involving numbers. I learned to use them when I played an MMO game called Eve online. Spreadsheets are a must for that game. Seems odd but it's very effective.

These days, I use spreadsheets to keep track of layaway payments and receipts for my dolls. It is a great way to track what dolls I have on layaway and where. Plus their details like resin colors, outfits, Fullset and any extras I want to track. It is immensely helpful when you have multiple orders in a single shipment or only a partial shipment.

I use green background for completed transactions.

I track:
      • Invoice number
      • Invoice date
      • Paid date
      • Invoice amount
      • Order number
      • Order amount after shipping and taxes
      • Function to find remaining amount due on each order
      • Function calculating remaining amount as a percentage
      • Item list of each order
      I also have a separate sheet with an itemized list of my dolls and items with company name, color, item name given by company.

I'm trying to think what else are in my doll file without opening it. :sweat

3. Oh I should make sure to add my order and tracking numbers! Just in case. I havn't done resin tones either, or what size. OH. SIZE CHARTS! I should get everyone's measurements down so I can find them easily when looking to buy more clothes.

Thanks!

4. I don’t keep spreadsheets but I keep screenshots of my order and use an editing app to make a little collage of that with a company photo of the doll in a folder named “waiting on”. When I receive the doll I add an at home photo with the arrival date and move it to a folder of my current collection. If I sell one I move it to a “sold” folder and add a screenshot of the payment. Each time it moves folders I edit the collage to add information, it’s like a scrapbook page of the doll.

5. I was introduced to AirTable by this thread and I have been tracking all the things. It has made my life a whole lot easier and organized for my doll collection. I have several datasets including
      • Collection (and all their accessories)
      • Body Measurements of bodies I own so I can sort by lengths of certain body parts
      • Sculpts just so I have the company images stored on my side
      • Vendors & Manufactures information
      • Inventory - itemized of everything I've purchased with different dimensions (color, part, order date, arrival date, etc)
      • Invoices - so I can link the itemized inventory with their receipts
      • COAs - digital copies which are linked with the inventory items they are associated with

[​IMG]

So far it has served me well, but I keep wanting to do more analytics / derived metrics, so I seem to keep adding columns. I'd loved to also learn what else others track!

6. Oh gosh, after almost 14 years in the hobby, well over 200 different sculpts in that time, probably a thousand outfits, hundreds of wigs, eyes, accessories...there is just no realistic way at all for me to keep track over everything. I want to enjoy my hobby and that would stress me out a lot more than I'd enjoy it!

However, I do keep lists, forms and one spreadsheet of a few things:

-List of every sculpt ever owned (just the sculpt/company, no other info)
      -List of currently owned dolls (doll name, company/sculpt, resin color, year made, what I paid)
      -File in my filing cabinet with the receipt for each doll
      -Spreadsheet of measurements
      -Character forms with all of the character's basic info and fun facts

7. I just started mine thanks to this thread!

8. I was going to make a binder or notebook but a spreadsheet with the measurements might be a good idea...

9. I have a few doll-related spreadsheets, although I don't keep track of any financial things because... ignorance is bliss...
      One is for listing basic info about my collection like sculpt names and date of acquisition, and one for listing body measurements which is such a lifesaver to have.

I have those basic ones on Google Docs but on Airtable I also keep track of all of my doll clothes! I was inspired by seeing fashion bloggers and such making these types of wardrobe inventories for their own clothes and I really liked the way that Airtable integrates images into the spreadsheets.

So I take pictures of every item of clothing (or for uniforms/full outfits I keep them together), as well as every pair of shoes, and log info like the brand/store it's from and the size that is given by the company. I find it particularly useful for clothes I get from Taobao since they can have inconsistent sizing across stores, mainly with 1/3 boy clothes... "SD17" from X store may be a perfect fit but "SD17" from Y store is gigantic... so when I'm buying new clothes I can check and see if I own anything else from this shop and if they run big or small or true to size.

It's also just nice in general if you're a visual person like me. I love being able to just open my spreadsheet and see each item I own laid out neatly, and it helps a lot with purchasing new clothes, since I can easily spot things I need, like, oh right, I have this outfit but no shoes that match it.
      It's kind of an ordeal to set up at first but I'd totally recommend it for people like myself who enjoy having lots of clothing pieces to mix and match with for your dolls.

10. I have unorganized lists.....sounds like I should be putting some time into a spreadsheet!!

11. I am feeling so inspired on how to make MORE CHARTS. What in the world is wrong with me...

I want to make measurement charts, and put together pics of the clothes that I have so I don't double-buy or buy something too similar. I don't even HAVE two of the three dolls I 'own' yet in my hands, but I am going to have SO MUCH ORGANIZATION.

Mostly because I know if I don't get the bulk of it done now, it'll quickly snowball and become a huge mess. Things will start sliding eventually and I wont care quite as much, but the more I do now the smaller that mess will be. Right?

12. As someone who uses spreadsheets often, I have never thought to use it this way. This is such a clever idea! I feel like I need to organize and keep track of orders and purchases and this will be such a neat way to do it! I was thinking, what if there is a spreadsheet that you can put values in that would calculate what size shoes dollies wear or what sculpt equates to what clothes, for the more uncommon sculpts? I think this will be a fun little project for me.
      Spreadsheets are great I have to agree!:lol:

13. I've just gotten into the hobby and waiting for my dolls to arrive, but this post has reminded me to create a spreadsheet too (for both purchases and 1/3 size charts), so thank you! It's quite appalling to see the numbers, but in a positive light, it does keep ourselves in check :XD:

14. I have a spreadsheet that's mostly doll measurements, since I have a few unusual sizes. It's really helpful to see who could share clothes, and to check against measurements given by clothes sellers. I also have one to check the advancement of my dolls' customisation, but I frequently forget to keep it up to date orz

15. I used to have a very basic "BJD plans" spreadsheet. Sculpts I desired with basic character details for them. I lost it long ago; deleted, I guess, but it wasn't updated very often. And it didn't really have anything important in it.

I've got a data-sheet for a different collection; my Nendoroids. It's more of the same, in the sense that it's a glorified wish-list, but it does include those I've got already. It's broken down by serial number, name, licence/franchise they're tied to, release date, acquisition date, condition upon purchase, whether they came with a pre-order bonus or not. I've even gone as far as colour-coding for those I want to buy, those I've ordered and am awaiting, and those that have arrived.

It might have been useful to have a spreadsheet full of invoice numbers, order dates, shipping and arrival dates, condition (if repairs or restoration has been done), measurements, serial numbers (if COAs have them), if they have a COA or not, etc. And not just for the dolls themselves; for their clothes, wigs, eyes, everything! It'd be useful for when I come to list them for sale. A quick self-help guide to pull necessary information from, as I've forgotten exact dates or even some years of when I acquired these dolls.

But, seeing how I'm not planning on stopping my doll-collecting, I can still start one and backtrack with what information I can remember or pull from Instagram posts (which I use as a kind of archive or catalogue when I need arrival dates).

16. I did not the first years and then later had to puzzle the early days together by finding boxes with adress labels, going by the postage stamps, old screenshots and photos... no fun at all, but I am glad I caught up in time. Now I would be completely lost without it, as my collection has ...ähm, grown ...a bit?

I started because I had seen one too many people trying to sell a doll or a head they could not remember the make or mold name. So, because I am a pretty good at forgetting... I thought I better start a list.

I keep track on maker, mold, and details to that like resin colour, sizes and extra parts and jointing, seller and all sales details like prices, dates, payment, addresses etc., certificates (wich I keep in a folder) and boxes, original adress labels (another folder).

Sounds like I am a terribly organized person? No,I assure you I am not and that‘s why I really have to do this list! It is just too much money to let it fall into chaos.

And on the money thing: I may have a magic excel list, but I do not press the button to sum things up. I’d like to keep a blind spot there :-)

17. I had been meaning to do this and reading this thread was the push I needed to start one, so thanks! :chibi

18. I've also created a spreadsheet in Airtable thanks to the previously mentioned thread on DoA. I have their names, company, sculpt, resin color, size, which wig and eyes they have, and the original purchase price. I only keep track of their arrival date, not the order date. I don't keep track of what I paid for wigs and eyes, because I don't really want to know what the total is! Just seeing the total cost of my at home dolls is a little scary...

I have a separate chart for my wish list, with those ordered marked as "waiting".

19. i also made a google spreadsheet to account for all my spending on the hobby with subsections on supplies, dolls, wigs, eyes, clothes. Doll info i keep in the doll section are sculpt, resin color, year made, and price in a separate column. Dolls i've sold are still on there but with strikethrough and subtracted from the total spending.
      It's been a bit sobering to see the sheer amount of spending, but i think it'd be helpful for insurance purposes if a disaster happens.
      Recently i was able to see that i broke even on the supplies section with my commissions which was super exciting when it happened!

20. Congrats! That is exciting.