1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't have a Grail Doll?

Sep 2, 2018

1. Hmm, I guess what I'm realizing is that there's not a simple definition for a "grail" doll (or maybe that it's evolved since the first time I heard of it?) Everyone makes fair points though, that ultimately it's what you make of the hobby, and I'd never let anything like that stop me from enjoying the hobby (and I don't think it should stop anyone else either). I think that a grail doll just doesn't really apply to how I, personally, take part in the hobby. That being said, I definitely don't think any differently about anyone who does have one. We're all just here to enjoy the ride and the dolls.

Also I'm super sorry if I sparked any controversy or anything. Definitely not my intention at all, it was just something I got to thinking about yesterday and wanted to know what everyone else thought. :sweat

(Apologies if my thoughts seem scattered. I'm trying to post a reply on my break at work).

2. I never really had a grail doll...I think...to be honest I have yet to find the one that would make me stop considering any other sculpts at all.

A doll I thought I'd never own was a Crobidoll Yeon-Ho mainly because he was expensive and I hated the body he came with. I didn't want to mess around with hybrids. I absolutely adored his face though and melted everytime I saw one. I wouldn't have called him a grail though. Yet 5 years later there's a Yeon-Ho head in the house waiting to be connected to his new body.

So for me there are 'buy if I happen to come across them cheap' dolls and 'maybe someday if I'm not too lazy to bother' dolls. Don't get me wrong, all the dolls on my wishlist are must-haves but I don't fixate on them. I take it slow and am grateful for every little piece of resin that happens to enter this house.

In my opinion a grail doll is pretty sad because the word has negative connotations for me. Hence I'm currently glad I don't have an obsession with a certain sculpt.

3. I am not currently on a hunt for any special "grail" dolls, but I have had a few. And yeah, they were all limited in number, discontinued and/or sold out by the time I first saw them. I had to save up a fund in case I found one, and then search for them for long periods of time before I was able to own one. I guess part of what makes them "grail" to me is that process of wanting and waiting and not knowing... and then the doll really being special once you have them.

I have other dolls that are very special to me that were never grail dolls, I wanted them and could just buy them straight off. That doesn't diminish their importance, but they don't have that grail story behind their acquisition. There isn't anything lesser about wanting a doll and being able to just hit the buy button, it's actually very lucky to not have to go on the hunt.

4. I've had brief infatuations but never anything that I felt super extreme / obsessive / devoted to. Like you, I can't exactly relate (yet?) to the folks who talk about The One.

5. I have one (DoD LE Elf Ducan fullset) but he isn't something I'm in the position to actively seek out right now and I know I may never get him but really I'm okay with that.
      At the same time, I think there is nothing wrong with somebody not having a grail, and like others have said not having one does make you lucky that you don't have to worry about acquiring it.

6. I entered the hobby ten years ago, and the definition of grail doll has definitely evolved over time, or I guess just become used much more loosely? I've always taken "grail" to be like to Holy Grail, where the term comes from--that one thing so special, that shines brighter than the rest, than you covet more than anything---but is next to impossible to get because it's discontinued/limited/only available in a country other than your own and almost never pops up secondhand. If it's readily available and obtainable with saving up, it's not technically a grail because it's not so rare.

That being said, I've had two grails in my time in the hobby (yes I know there is only ONE Holy Grail...>.> ) : Soom Ender and Volks F-16 (who was nearly impossible to get for awhile and now is pretty easy to find). I have owned them both, after years of searching and waiting, and...I sold them both. Ender turned out to be much more exciting as a fantasy than a reality, and while I did love F-16, I felt like he was too "special" to play with and write a character for than my other dolls, and I ended up selling him because I was too cautious to fully enjoy him.

I no longer have a grail, and that's perfectly fine with me!

7. As much as I love looking at pictures of new dolls, most of the ones who have spoken to me were secondhand - they just seemed to have more character, and it was more the creative spark of serendipitously coming across something that grabbed me rather than a planned search for a particular sculpt. There are many sculpts I admire, but so far anyway, none that I have to have no matter what. I really admire people who have grails or similar goals and work toward them, though! The hobby just hasn't been that way for me yet.

8. I don't have an actual grail doll. I have plenty of dolls I like and would enjoy having, but as an actual "grail," no. I think it's great when others do and are able to get them. The closest to a "grail" that I have would be my Luts Dark Elf Soo that I bought second hand and one of my off topic doll in mind girls. But even then, if I had never come across that find, I would have been perfectly fine without her. So no grails. Just lots of dolls I like and love.

9. There is a discontinued doll that I abselutly adore and would love to own... but to be frank... I really don't feel like going trough the process/the stress of finding it. So I don't consider it a grail since I'm not "dedicated" enough to find it.
      If I ever would stumble upon it I would be willing to buy it, but to be honest it's not my top priority and I think I would still feel pretty content even if I never get to own it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      I can see why some people have grail dolls though, specially the people who are in the hobby for the collecting aspect

10. I don't have a grail. I've gone down that road a few times in the past with other collections, and for me personally, it never ends up working out in a healthy way. Either I fixate on the grail item, and feel as if I'm wasting my time with any other part of the collection, or I put too much emphasis on getting the grail item, and the stress and sacrifice removes whatever enjoyment I would have gotten from the process.