1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

During this quarantine what have you realized about your dolls?

Mar 29, 2020

1. I realised how much I missed my dolls. ;o; They have been stored away in boxes for the last couple of years. Some of them don't even have face ups yet, because I was so nervous that I procrastinated. But now I wish they were still out so I could work on them. (Also I'm worried whether they're okay in storage. I wanna check on them so badly!)

Also I realised I'm not alone in liking dolls. That probably sounds strange considering how large this forum is... But having people close by in the hobby has rekindled my interest a lot, and helped me realise that I can make things and enjoy dolls. I'm not alone anymore, after being alone for so long. ^^;

2. I realised just how much I've procrastinated on finishing them :/ I've had some for years and they still need face ups and clothes. At the same time though I've realised how much I really like my collection as it is. There's not a doll among them I'd sell and looking at them so frequently had made me realize I've achieved owning pretty much every doll I dreamed of getting when I first joined the hobby. When I deep cleaned my house I dusted each one off and fell in love anew :)

3. To be completely honest? My dolls really haven't been a factor. They're one hobby among several, and haven't gotten any more or less attention than usual.

4. I realised how much I miss my doll.
      For family reasons, I'm not able to keep mine in my house.
      I really would like to but, its very difficult.
      When you are a health care worker, its also difficult. The family of my boyfriend, doent like me to go to their house because I'm too much ''exposed''

5. Between receiving a COVID check, finding about more about a doll company I never really paid attention to, and finally being able to get a grail doll, I have two yoSD dolls I really had no plans of getting this year! :dance Not that I'm complaining about having to shop for clothes, shoes, a wig....:XD:

Ryu

6. 1) my collection isn't as big as I thought it was
      2) I really need to give my 6+ floating heads bodies
      3) all the magnets in their heads are missing :I

7. Realising that I still need them, even if I don't 'interact' as often a good doll-owner ought to.

This evening, I received some painful news about a co-worker who hadn't been well for months. I just wanted to come home and hold a doll that isn't even here yet. He's one payment [and a potentially long-*** excursion home due to corona restrictions] away. I have other dolls, but when there's that one that has to be the companion... it's a little hard to accept any substitutes.

He'll be home soon. He'll be home soon. He'll be home soon...

8. How much fun it can really be to work on and customize them. I never really took the time to do so before I was literally inside with nothing to do. I’ve done more crafting projects for them now than I ever have in all my years in the hobby, and I’ve never been happier! :)

9. I've re-discovered how much I like making them clothes. It's part of how I build their characters and their world.

10. I can relate to these comments. Before this quarantine, I was in a doll hiatus for different reasons and I was considering selling most of my collection due to stress for "being a good owner". My dolls were in their boxes for more than a year and as soon as I got one out, the joy re-emerged; I dressed some of them and left them on my work desk just for the pleasure of having them around.

Also, my husband questioned me about selling my collection and he said that none of my reasons were strong enough. He reminded me that I can have as many dolls as I want and no one is requesting (or forcing me) to stop buying or reduce my collection. So, I reviewed my collection and re-made my wishlist keeping in mind that I don't have to finish right away.

Long story short: I realized that I love my dolls even if I have a slow pace for completing them, and I don't have to be super active in social media, forums, groups, etc. I can (and should) enjoy them my own way and no one shall take that away from me.

11. I'm getting back to mine after largely ignoring them. I'm realizing that I have a lot of clothes, eyes, and wings that don't fit any of my group. I'm currently washing a lot of items to sell or trade.

12. I realised that when I get bored I get the itch for new dolls haha!! I have a bunch of seeing to do for mine still though.

13. I sympathise. I have a lot of hobbies, and I worry about not being a good doll owner. I've got dolls I've had for years that I haven't had the guts to do faceups on. (I also had some bad depression the last few years which has put all my hobbies on the back burner to be honest). I don't take nearly enough photos, and I haven't sewn enough outfits. But they are so precious to me. Even if I can't keep up with everyone else, I still enjoy them. Although they are in storage right now, I can't wait to get them back out again and just enjoy their company XD even if they are just on a shelf, that still means I see them every day. And I think that's enough.

14. That I really do prefer being in the same place as them! I lived in a different town for work, but came home before lockdown hit the UK to save on rent etc. I'm not sure if I'm going to have to move home permanently now due to covid ruining a few things, but either way I really do like having them with me. I had them with me pretty much the whole time since I started collecting and these last 2 years I didn't have any of them with me at all. One day I hope to have them in a permanent spot with a proper display cabinet!

15. I realize that I got almost all I needed.
      I did couple of impulsive purchases during this time, but I’m happy that I found new owners quite quickly for them.
      And definitely no more long preorders. Time changes everything very quickly.

16. I've been in lockdown a lot longer than most people I know, because everyone in my household is vulnerable... but I've definitely felt like even though I don't do nearly enough with my dolls most of the time, I'm really glad to have them. I'm a little too slow on some of these projects but I've been getting a lot out of spending time with these characters even if none of them are 'finished'-- I've realized that maybe none of my dolls will ever be 'finished' and that's part of the fun! They can keep evolving piece by piece as I find new things I want to try my hand at making, or see new things I can buy that fit them in ways I didn't expect.

17. I work 2 full time jobs thanks to the quarantine so no time for dolls AT ALL...the only thing I realized about them is that I want to sell them and when life is hard they don't matter. Maybe if I wasn't working they would matter since they would keep me busy and happy but that's not my situation right now.

18. I realized that my only bjd was very lonely and needed a sibling. Due to shipping restriction to my country I couldn’t get her a sister, so I bought a little dog for her. We both have great fun with him now. And since the shipping restriction is over I ordered a little sister too, but that’s a secret, my girl doesn’t know it yet.
      I also realized that my doll brought me a much needed smile and joy in this dreadful time.

19. I realized how much I missed the hobby, and how much I love and missed my dolls that are stored at another house. I miss them and can’t see them because quarantine, and I don’t wish to risk the other side of my family potentially getting sick. :( So away I stay until the virus passes!
      I’m glad I took the time during quarantine though to come back to this forum and revisit my love of dolls...I feel like I’ve regained such an integral part of myself again. I’m much happier than I was without, and look forward to doing more face-ups and photography than I did when I was younger. <3

20. It may not quite fit the topic, but I would like to answer your sad and desperate post: It is true that if you fight for survival, many things in life become unimportant. But I think it's still important to try to hold onto something that brings you joy and relaxation. Otherwise you are burned out and empty very quickly. It doesn't have to be an expensive doll, it can be a beloved soft toy, a photo, a song, a book, a cozy blanket, anything that can give you a little moment of comfort and strength. I lost a family member and a friend because of Corona and my doll gave me a few moments when I could forget everything and I am grateful for that. I sincerely wish you to find something that will help you persevere.