1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Earthquake proofing dolly displays

Jan 31, 2018

1. I like to have my dolls on display where I can look adoringly at them, but where I live is having earthquakes more and more often (shudder) and I'm worried about them falling and being damaged (bigger shudder). I think I might have a way to tie them onto the shelves I have them on, but it's going to be a bit awkward and I wondered if anyone else has any clever ideas for earthquake proofing that I might not have thought of? Thank you in advance, nifty peoples!

2. Earthquakes are rare in my area, and when we do get them, they're pretty minor, so I'm not sure if this would work or not, but what about getting a doll sized couch or bed they could sit on? They're much more secure sitting than standing, if they did fall, they'd probably fall onto the soft blankets or cushions, and it could look natural in a display.

3. Little earthquakes? Sitting bjds are stabler than standing ones. There's museum wax and gel for keeping things from moving, but don't use them directly on bjds. Cabinets with latching/locking doors are a good idea, as is tethering cabinets and bookcases to the wall. Shorter furniture is stabler than tall pieces. Carpet is better than hard floors and a rug in front of your bjd display is a good idea.
      Do what you can, but in a big emergency, save yourself first please.:3nodding:

4. There are some earthquakes here as well, i got a shelve whit larger space so my dolls aren't near the edge, also i leave them seated.
      I was told to secure the furniture (shelves) to the wall but i still don't do it.
      In 2016 i got really scared during a big earthquake but luckily all my dolls were ok, still it is a big fear for me u.u.

5. Thanks, those are some good ideas. I do have a couple of things I haven't secured to the wall yet, thanks for the reminder.

I really can't stand earthquakes, they terrify me and at the moment I'm working in a building that feels like there's an earthquake every time a tuck drives past - so woe is me.

The last big one we had there were stories of dudes diving to save their flat screens and people laughed about it, but I probably would take a dive to save my BJDs! :frownyblush:

6. I live in Alaska and have earthquake daily, most of them very minor. But few days ago I had a 7.9 rumble and only one out of 30+ of my dolls fell. Almost all of my dolls are standing and only few of them actually have doll stand. Have a secure book shelf, mine run from wall to wall and lean back slightly and don't fall forward. They were from a book and music store that closed down in town (Borders). But it would be ideal to have hooks on the wall and thin wire to wrap around their waist and hook on the back so they'd not fall. I've been told museum wax helps and of course, cabinets with glass (or replace into plastic panels that look like glass).

7. My collection has been through a few earthquakes, so far nothing too major. There was a 6.something that hit the next town over and did some major property damage but we were fine and nothing fell. Most of the time my collection is sitting so that might have something to do with it. And during some of those times they were in my cabinet (with solid doors made of particle board).

After an earthquake I always check on my family first, then pets, and lastly the dolls and computer. And so far all has been well. I think it's the major earthquakes that could be problematic (other than obvious reasons) but I think we'll all be far too preoccupied with other priorities before worrying about the dolls. So try not to worry too much! :sweat

8. We've had some shaking lately, one instance was a pretty big jolt. I heard something fall, turns out one of the standing boys in the living room took a dive. He landed face down on a carpet with pretty thick padding, so he was unharmed.

I don't really plan on securing them? Some are sitting and are a bit safer, the rest are in stands. I just have to take my chances and hope any injury is repairable (which most are). I think more about having to do a minor evac with dolls. Most are across from my bed, so I want to be able to thrown them all into the bed comforter and run out with the sack of dolls if needs be. >_>> *knock on wood*

9. I agree with the others in closed cases if you can, as well as tethering shelves. I can also suggest something i do. I have my shelf in the corner of my room, and below i display on my floor, stuffed animals. If you have any, you can store your plush friends below the shelf to catch any plummeting dollies, or a basket with folded blankets and pillows, maybe a small soft chair that can be put in front of the shelf if you have the given room. There are many ways you can cleverly design ans disguise a doll jump catch system.

10. Earthquakes are rare where I live, and when they do happen, they are light and barely noticable, but I do suggest getting a cabinet and attaching it to the wall, it will help when the shaking starts.