1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Environmental Impact - Plastic

Nov 27, 2008

1. I don't think anyone has tried to answer this yet, so I'll try to take a stab at it. Disclaimer: I haven't really researched any of this, just going off of my science/biology knowledge.

As I understand it, the main health concern from sanding the dolls isn't that the dust is toxic (I'm sure there are probably some volatile chemicals such as plasticizers that are released though they are probably rapidly dispersed). The big concern with the dust is that it will lodge in the lungs and not be eliminated because it is so inert. I imagine prolonged exposure could result in something similar to silicosis which is seen from inhaling clay dust or dust from cutting stone.

I don't believe that small amounts of resin dust ending up on plants would have any measurable effect on them at all. I think resin dust ending up in seas and lakes is a more interesting question. Presuming it was washed down a drain, most of it would probably be settled out during water treatment and then disposed of along with the rest of the sludge. I think any resin making it's way into the ocean would either sink to the floor of the ocean or that dust remaining in suspension in the water would be greatly diluted. It could presumably be taken up by small marine organisms, but I think the number of organisms that would be exposed to a sufficiently large dose to cause them problems would be negligible. In other words, I suppose it is possible that some could be harmed by this, but highly unlikely that there would be enough of those individuals to result in any major ecological impact.

On the other hand, I wonder if large pieces of resin could actually be used as scaffolds for reef growth? There are projects using various artificial scaffolds that coral polyps can attach to to jump-start coral reef growth in areas where they have been destroyed. I suspect that this is rather a moot point since resin is to expensive to be used for this, and there are cheaper substitutes available.

I don't think this is something you probable need to worry too much about :) As others have said, manufacturing resin, shipping, and packaging probably have the biggest environmental impact.

2. I'm with skerwlie. However, I do try to reuse as much resin as possible. I was at Catrina's casting workshop earlier this year. I made a point of collecting all the hardened resin drips I could from the mold casts (I'm not allergic, so it didn't itch me to handle them when freshly cured) and I'm going to turn them into a jewelry piece. I think the more that can be similarly reused, the better!
      i have them all in a jar right now in my work bag, ready to be made into something :)
      i'm kinda like that about everything - always wanting to make something out of nontraditional materials and being a bit of a pack rat.