1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever Afraid X Sculpt Will Be Discontinued?

Apr 13, 2011

1. DC Zenobia. I've wanted her as long as I've been in this hobby, but for some reason just can't afford her yet.

2. As I do actually own two discontinued dolls (kDelf elf ani and Souldoll Gisele), if something does go wrong with them that I can't fix..I would have to scour the second hand market and pray that someone has the molds. I do regret not getting the heeled feet for the Gisele though, considering how not-agile her ankle joint is.

3. I have 50 dolls on my wishlist I fear 20 of them are endanger of being discontinued because of how old they are

4. This has ALMOST happened to me twice, actually happened to me once, and there's currently a doll I really want who I'm a bit nervous about.
      The almosts were Elfdoll Rita and the original version of April Story Adrienne. With Rita, I bought her and then her discontinuance was announced a month or two later. Adrienne was part of the first April Story "discontinuing everything/coming back with all new sculpts" renewal sale, so I grabbed her while she was last-chance still available. That quick decision was made much easier by the fact that she was marked down 40% for the event. At full price I might have had to miss her. They did later re-release a "renewed" Adrienne, but it is slightly different and I'm glad I got the original version since I liked it better.
      The actual discontinued before I could get it doll was Dollzone Hazel. I was going to get her in tan, she was 100% a firm part of my doll plans, and then Dollzone discontinued tan resin AND a bunch of their sculpts, and Hazel was one of them. They did have a final sale but there was no way I could afford her on the spur of the moment like that so I had to let her pass. I'm not really expecting to ever see one come up secondhand, because I could never find owner pictures of her even when she was still available and she doesn't seem to have been even remotely popular. So I think that is one doll who's just lost to me. I did also want a Granado Sidonia, but I feel like my chances of finding a second hand one some day if I'm ever motivated enough to do so are better than with the DZ Hazel.
      The one I'm kind of concerned about is Dikadoll Dew. I really really want to get one, but again she is not a popular doll and I hardly see them anywhere, and I definitely think she could be discontinued before I could get her and also be very hard to find secondhand due to there not being very many out there.

#84 thedarkeststar13, Oct 3, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    5. Honestly? That would be all of my grails.... I have three, and I'm constantly worried that I won't have enough for them before they are gone for good :/ I really hope that I can scrounge up the money soon, but student life is hard! One of my grails was secured, I had someone else order them for me, but I still need to pay them back of course! They are holding the doll til I pay, and I want the doll soon..

6. This is my biggest fear to be honest. I don't have much money so I check Iplehouse daily to see if they have a sale on one of the molds I want. I got my Roger in a sale short before he was discontinued and I regret nothing. However I stay away from sites that only have monthly or limited dolls because I would be so sad if I saw something I want and would not get it because of the lack of money QvQ

7. im paranoid about any of the sculpts i like being discontinued, its actually happened to me once already, before i had enough steady income to really get into this hobby. you cant rule out freak accidents such as fires and the like, so any sculpt could be discontinued at any time for any number of reasons...

8. I figured out the two I want, and even though I don't think it's likely, I'm defiantly scared of that. I'll not let it crush me though, if it happens it happens for a reason, and I'm sure I'll end up finding some dolls that are even better! :)

9. Sometimes, yes. If there is a doll that I really want to get one day, then I will be afraid that the sculpt may discontinue even if it is likely that it won't be.

10. As this is more than possible (the companies I like keep releasing new dolls, and most of their dolls are limited in one way ore another) I wouldn't be afraid of not being able to get the sculpt I like - I understand perfectly I wouldn't be able to have all the dolls I like (there won't be enough space for that much of them for sure ^^ ). So for me it's rather unpleasant when I've decided on getting some doll/sculpt and if surprisingly gets unavailable, either because it's limited quantity or because I'm wrong with the time-date limitations. It's only my fault in booth situations but still I'm getting upset in such cases.

11. Being a newbie in the hobby, I missed out on a lot of beautiful sculpts I'd really to love to own. =(
      I'm hoping that the market place do have something I'm looking for...I don't have an access to the marketplace yet , but those who do...can you tell me if it's hard or easy to get a second hand SOOM doll? I'd been yearning for Hyperon...any info will be highly appreciated, thanks!

12. Whether it's easy or hard is going to depend entirely on a) the doll in question and b) how much patience you're willing to invest in it. I can't say anything about Hyperon for sure -- I'm afraid I don't follow Soom much, it's not my aesthetic -- but I will say that if you're patient, just about anything will come up eventually. Soom dolls come up for sale all the time. Patience may be in order, though; not to scare you or anything but it took me years to find one of my grail dolls because she was a) discontinued and b) not terribly popular when she was in production so they don't come up for sale very often. You may get lucky and find Hyperon waiting for you when you get MP access, or you may have to wait and hunt for a while, but you will find him eventually if you're determined. :)

My problem with sculpts being discontinued is that I'll fall in love with them after they've been discontinued. So of course getting one new is not an option. And then of course I'll fall for the ones that are hard as hell to get. About the only time I've skated in under the wire was when Elfdoll disco'd all their boys and I managed to get my mitts on two of them before they went the way of the dodo.

13. Thanks for the heads up...I'm keeping my fingers crossed! >_<

14. Dollzone discontinued a lot of their MSD sculpts earlier this year, two of which I had been meaning to buy for while. Fortunately I managed to buy them and with a lovely 20% discount too :)

15. For me there aren't any dolls that I have been admiring for years and it would upsetting if the doll was sold out forever. Dolls that I have admired for years are ones that I am content to look at from afar but don't really have a need to add to my collection. Dolls that I don't want to risk loosing out on, I buy them immediately. I always make sure that I have some funds set aside. Admittedly there have been some dolls I was on the fence about and passed, and a small pang of regret does bubble up but it's never enough for me to hunt after the doll on the second hand market.

16. The doll of my dreams which is Elfdoll B9ng Sun Hwa has been discontinued. I dont know if i will ever get her now. I hope yhe one you want is still being made when you are ready to get her.

17. Not really scared if sculpts get discontinued. Most sculpts I've liked over time are discontinued. I think it's just inevitable as trends come and go.

18. I'm sometimes worried that the whole size/aesthetics I really like will go out of fashion - mature looking minis are relatively new thing, so far they seam to be gaining popularity, rather than loosing, but there is no real data, and only a few companies make them...
      If not for that than I'd say not to worry to much - even if the sculpt you want is no longer made there is still the second hand market - if you really want a certain doll there is always hope to find it sooner or later :)

19. Wow, this is an old thread now isn't it?? :lol: I'm happy to report that 9 years later, I now have a Williams, and he still isn't "discontinued," as Volks re-releases him from time to time! Funny to look back on this now.

20. I don't worry too much about sculpts getting discontinued as I do about certain dolls on the secondhand market selling before I can buy them. Currently, there is a doll listed on the MP that has been discontinued for years. I really want that doll, but the seller doesn't want trades for anything I own, doesn't do layaway and I only have just over half the amount of money I need for him. I'm so scared somebody else is going to buy him before I can save up enough.