1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Ever shamed of your doll?

Dec 2, 2016

1. I have a Luts Model Delf Leo name Kit. I love him and currently he's my only doll. When he came from Luts I discovered his sealant was very light and scratched easily. I've had him almost 2 years now and hs faceup needs to be redone badly. It makes me ashamed 1. that I' didn't keep it better and 2. that I haven't redone it. Mostly because I'm afraid to do an anthro faceup.
      Do any of you ever feel ashamed of your dolls for any reason?

2. I guarantee you are judging yourself much more harshly than any onlooker would. :( There is nothing to be ashamed of, though if you do want a new faceup (which it sounds like you do) you could always try redoing it yourself and if that fails, commission an artist to do it for you. :D

3. Ha! Yes... But only me shaming myself, so far. I've had my dolls almost half a year now, and they still don't have a solid faceup or any clothes. It's been a slower process than I'd like.

Maybe the best thing to do, when it's you shaming yourself, is to use that as motivation. Hopefully we both get closer to where we want to be soon! :)

4. OHBOY!
      I got my first BJD last month and managed to scratch badly the makeup from the sleeping faceplate RIGHT ON.

SHAME *frantically shakes bell*

5. Oh, I know that feeling. I was putting a necklace on Jack, he flopped at the hip, causing the metal necklace to take a big chunk out of his freckled body blushing, right at the front of his neck, terribly visible. Then it took me over a year to get motivated enough to redo it. I finally did, but I look back at so many good photos I took of him throughout that time that are ruined by that big bare splotch right in the middle of his freckled skin...

6. My dad likes to pick on me about my dolls... I really try not to let it get to me, but sometimes it does.
      But that's really the only time. Sure, sometimes its a little embarrassing to take a doll out for pictures but I quickly get over that. I just remind myself that I don't care what other people think, my dolls make me happy. (it's a little harder to ignore when it's my own dad that's putting me down, as opposed to a complete stranger.)

7. Lol, my poor babies never have shoes. Every meet up we go to, they are the messiest dolls and the only ones with no back story. One time I accidentally strung one of my girls super loose and took her to a convention. Then a person wanted to test her posing, and because of the stringing, she couldn't even sit. Sometimes I get embarrassed because I can't do things as well as lots of others. But, really the only one judging me is me.

8. I have to say that I completely understand how you feel.My otter luts named perstephone has only been with me for a few months and im ashamed to say, the blushing on her hands has scratched of in a few places. But I'm just being over judgmental.

9. There's so many amazing people into the hobby out there, so it does feel a bit bad not being able to make my dolls look as good as that.
      But I don't really see any other dolls in real life so that helps x)
      I sometimes meet the other shame issue that Dark Angel mentioned though, meaning stupid outsiders who don't get the hobby -.- Sooo annoying.

10. I kinda feel ashamed that my doll keeps on wearing almost the same clothes, every single time (though he has different/spare clothes, it's just a few since I'm currently saving up for the other members of my doll plans q n q)

11. Oh...in that case, I will be most ashamed...lol, I have been spending so much on dolls itself that they are all still naked...and they will be naked for quite sometime (knowing what money I have left until I can buy them proper clothes!)

12. I'm ashamed of my old dolls, I used to try to do my own faceups, but I washed (most) of the acrylic paint off (can't get the rest off with what I have, and I'm allergic to most of the cleaners) before I realized I didn't enjoy doing face ups.... (the chemicals are the worst for me so that's good) so now I have had them for 7 years with no proper faceups... xD I still liked them, but I certainly didn't want to share photos!xD

I'm glad I'm getting my new dolls with face ups! : D

13. No, never, they are absolutely gorgeous, and to my mind perfect, I take good care of them, and I am quite, quite terribly proud of them.

14. I could be embarrassed about the amateur practice faceups that my girls have, or the fact that I hate making clothes in 1/12 scale and avoid sewing for my Ada, or not buying them new eyes (and buying the DD the wrong size eyes)... but that's all fine and good, compared to the fact that I left them at home while I went off to university, then decided to stay moved out, and haven't gotten around to getting them back yet!
      I'm such a bad parent to my doll children. I hope they'll forgive me:atremblin

15. I've had my two dolls for Two. Years. They're still bald, naked, and unpainted.

I'm actually going to start painting one of them today; just waiting for the head to dry from cleaning. :| I'm fixing it, I'm fixing it--!! I'm sorryyyy--!!!

Edit: Painted him! :D

#15 ghostly0rigins, May 24, 2018
      Last edited: May 25, 2018
    16. I always feel bad that I haven't done the maintenance that my oldest girl needs. I've had her for 12-13 years and since a couple years ago she's gotten horribly floppy and needs to be restrung (I'm so bad at restringing!), she needs new eyelashes (they're all smashed) and new eyes (her old silicone ones have gotten cloudy). She could probably use a new faceup too, but I'm hesitant to remove her original one. =__=

17. I'm pretty ashamed that I don't have good ways to transport my dolls. I'm always worried they'll get scratched or stained from the grubby tennis bag I'm currently using. I'm also pretty ashamed that my dolls are so basic, with one exception. I don't have any fantasy dolls or anthros or surreal dolls, and I don't style them very strongly, so they look unfashionable and plain next to some of the beautiful dolls I've seen IRL

18. I always feel ashamed because I can't afford to buy my dolls nice clothes or have the skills to make them so they are in very simple shirts and pants or dresses with visible hand stitched seams, sleeves on backwards, hemming coming undone. I also do all the face up and body blushing myself and don't have the money to get the best quality tools. I started the hobby in my early teens so a lot of the first face ups I did were really bad ( i.e. sharpie) and got mean comments from others about it so now I am paranoid about my recent face ups.

19. my boy was so floppy it was a miracle he could stand. I was terrified to restring him to, but once I watched a couple videos on it and pulled out the good old manual it went fine! His strings were so blown out and dirty!

20. I'm ashamed of the faceups I gave them. I'm getting better at doing faceups and I'm going to redo them all someday,but I'd be too ashamed to show what they look to anyone right now.