1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Expecting' Gift/Event heads: Have we developed an entitlement attitude?

Nov 11, 2008

1. I personally love free things and discounts, "specials" so to speak. When I don't get one, I'm not necessarily enraged or anything but sometimes it gives me a reason to make a decision to go with a company over another or not. So, seasonal events, in my opinion, are a very wise company decision. I ordered from DZ a month before their winter event and I'm still bitter that I missed out on the fairy. Luckily, I really wanted my doll so, in the end, it didn't matter and hasn't soured my experience at all. But, on the other hand, I ordered a Dikadoll Lola just BECAUSE of their fantastic winter special at MoC. To get a 20% discount on a doll and your choice of either a free pair of jointed hands or a 1/12th doll was just too amazing to pass up so I jumped right in. If they hadn't had that offer going on, I'm not sure if I would've taken this particular time to buy her. I want her but, I probably would've just bought more stuff for Rai or gone without had the price not been so remarkable. I like a good deal, I can't help it. And I like free. Especially since I've been wanting a 1/12th doll for a long while now. :-D

2. To be honest >_>"
      I rather they give a discount off the outfits and dolls and other items rather than to give an event head........-_-;..........
      I'm not really a fan of any event heads....-___-;? Unless one day it's some xxxx company giving away my dream doll head for free 0A0!!!!!
      That's a different case XD...
      In any case ~.~ I always think that this is a method of advertising ~___~ and increasing sale,not only people have to achieve a certain amount to get the gift , they may be buying the body (save time on body matching~_~) from the company-.-...I think their sales will be increasing alot ...

3. I've been wondering about this since last year. I keep reading comments along the lines of, 'Be grateful, they don't have to do anything at all," in regards to holiday events. It is usually expected that various companies will have some sort of pleasant surprise in store for buyers that are usually to our benefit. It gets so competetive and people are in a tizzy over which company they should buy from because some of the events are just too good to pass up!

But what about when companies do give out a subpar holiday event? Why is it that the immediate response is, "Well they don't have to do anything at all." People who say this, you do realize that the companies do these events for their own benefit as well as ours, right? My initial reaction to Iplehouse's price increase AND THEN event details was a huge wave of disappointment. There was no incentive for me to buy from them when there were other companies who were having events and sales that were more exciting and easier on the wallet. The idea behind these events is to drive up sales and make more money. They are companies after all. I don't think it's unfair or even rude to complain or be a bit upset if a company has an event that's kind of lame compared to other companies as long as it doesn't get ugly.

Why is it considered so wrong and entitled to dislike or complain about a company's events? I do appreciate the really nice holiday events done by companies, even the ones that I don't plan on buying from. But I'm not really understanding the mentality behind being grateful in regards to an incentive companies create so buyers will purchase more. I suppose some people are right, they don't have to have an event at all, but then they'd be losing sales to the other companies who bothered to have thoughtful events. The whole point of events is to create more incentive to buy from one company rather than another.

So my questions are:
      -How important are events to you during the holiday season?

-Do you change your initial buying plans depending on the events available (or that you're interested in)?

-What type of events do you prefer and why?

-Are there holiday events that you don't like or appreciate (not because of dislike of a company but because of the event itself)?

-To those who do feel that complaining about the company's events is a sign of ungratefulness and/or entitlement-- Why do you think that? Should people always feel grateful for events regardless of what type it is?

-Why is it that companies seem to be above criticism when it comes to holiday events, despite the fact that they are something everyone looks forward to?

-Why do you think it isn't okay to complain about a company's holiday event?

Please note that I'm referring to holiday (Christmas/New Year) events specifically.

4. I do not believe that events contribute to more sales for a company on an annual scale. As far as I'm concerned, buying a doll is a big decision based mostly on the doll, rather than the number of bells and whistles it comes with, and I believe that many owners feel the same way. An event could affect *when* the doll is bought (now vs later), but it's unlikely to significantly increase or decrease the number of dolls desired by any given doll owner.

Think of it as, say, a sale on refrigerators. If you need one, of course you'd take the opportunity to buy one during a sale. But if you don't need a fridge, even an 80% off wouldn't be enough to persuade you to buy one. Similarly for dolls, which tend to be quite expensive. If you don't already want it, you probably won't want it.

So where is the benefit to the company in doing events? You could consider the view that they are artists, and wish to make a gift to their supporters, to build up goodwill. Some companies do interact extensively with the community, and seem enthusiastic enough that I doubt they're just doing it for the money. So they may be doing it for love. Partly. The goodwill and community might lead to more interest in their dolls that might eventually translate to more sales, but that's a bit up in the air.

Perhaps, though, by concentrating orders during event periods, they can do their manufacturing all at one shot during a favourable season? I have no idea if this is the case, but if the events immediately precede seasons that are good for resin casting and faceups, companies can get direct benefits from having to scrap fewer miscast parts and having to redo fewer messed up faceups?

-To those who do feel that complaining about the company's events is a sign of ungratefulness and/or entitlement-- Why do you think that? Should people always feel grateful for events regardless of what type it is?

Why complaining about events make the complainer come off as entitled? Because the companies do not owe it to you to make events that are attractive to you. Whether or not it benefits them, they still do not owe it to you to give you stuff they don't feel like giving. Complaining about how an event doesn't suit your taste makes the entire event about *you*. And that is the very definition of an entitlement complex.

I disagree that people should be 'grateful' for events, though. That's asking a bit much

I like events that give straight up discounts, because I rarely need more head, faceups, more wigs or more eyes. I'd rather save the money and spend it on something I really, really want.

-Are there holiday events that you don't like or appreciate (not because of dislike of a company but because of the event itself)?

Free faceups, because I do my own faceups and it would be a waste of time and effort for the company's faceup artists. :')

-Why is it that companies seem to be above criticism when it comes to holiday events, despite the fact that they are something everyone looks forward to?

Just because you look forward to it doesn't mean they have to please you, princess.

It's perfectly ok to complain about a company's holiday event! You just have to bear with hearing people's dissenting opinions in turn. Free speech, baby!

5. -How important are events to you during the holiday season?

Honestly? Not especially. Don't get me wrong, it's nice if my purchase of a doll or doll items coincides with an event, but it's not the centre of my dollie universe.

-Do you change your initial buying plans depending on the events available (or that you're interested in)?

No. I'm not nearly as organized in my buying as that. Often I will have had the idea of which type of doll I want to buy for a long time (an MSD boy, a tiny, whatever). I'll then save up for that doll and purchase it when I can afford it. When I finally get the money for my doll I feel so excited that I usually can't wait until there's an event on, unless there is an event quite close by. Then I might wait it out.

The type where you get a little doll with a bigger doll or a free faceup. Free faceups are nice, because I prefer to buy a doll with the company default, as I am not artistically inclined and have a few concerns about sending my doll's head in the mail to be painted. I also think small dolls are wonderful event gifts as let's face it - in the BJD hobby even a tiny BJD is realtivley expensive compared to some other hobbies.

Hmm, I don't like the events where you have to spend extremely large amounts of money to be included, such as when you only buy the most expensive dolls from that company.

I think events are pretty beneficial to both the company and the buyer. You get something free, they get more possible custom. It's one of the little way in which our hobby continues to survive. Then again, this is said from the view point of 'it's great if there's one on. If not, oh well'. I've not bought any of my dolls during an event yet.

I suppose some people are just raised to be happy with what they've got. Events might benefit the company too but ultimatley the company doesn't force you to participate in them, and of course everybody's idea of what makes a good event is subjective. I also don't think BJD company event reform would exactly change my life in any way.

These last two questions assume something about the person responding's point of view. I think they call it a leading question in Psychology. Hmm... to be honest, I've not given much thought to events until I read this thread. I think people can do (and complain about) whatever they want. I'm personally not going to waste my time getting upset if a company haven't done something that I like. I think that's because I don't have much of an expectation of what I want from a company in this hobby. The basic thing is decent quality resin that isn't going to kill my lungs and sculpting that I personally like. I'd only bother complaining if a company did or made something dangerous.

6. But we make things about ourselves all the time in the hobby!
      "Oh, I don't particularly like such and such sculpt-- the quality could be a bit better."

"OMG SHE'S PERFECT FOR MY CHARACTER!"

Companies don't release individual sculpts for the individual but a good portion of us do manage to relate them to ourselves one way or another. Regardless of whether there's an event or not, people are always making statements about what companies do and how it will affect them. I don't really see a difference. The complaining I'm talking about is more along the lines of, "Oh shoot, such and such company didn't have the event I wanted. ):" Not, "Company A completely sucks. They have no respect for their customers and they're just mean and their dolls are ugly anyway."

I don't think it's wrong for people to be disappointed with a company's event. I honestly don't see the big deal but it does bother me when I see statements that say I should be 'grateful' for receiving an incentive to buy from a company-- which to me is what an event is.

Also, I'm not sure where the princess thing is coming from. I really don't think my post came off in a prissy or entitled way. I'm just curious about what other people consider good and fun events and what some people don't and why people feel the way they do. In no way shape or form do I expect a company to conform to what I want in an event (cough100%offcough);). But I have no problem saying, "Eh, that's not a cool event," and looking for the next one.

7. What a.. festive? topic lol Its making me look at my holiday spending because its very similar to me as, say, black friday sales or cyber monday. In the past 4 years ive started to shift my buying to aim for events, companies are fairly consistent so i think i can usually count on fairyland to do 1-2 events a year, soom does christmas kits, and now DC has been added to the list :) These dolls are expensive.. so every little bit helps as far as im concerned

-How important are events to you during the holiday season?
      I love seeing all the events during the holiday season! I get excited and I typically save up a bit so I can shop during this time.

Yes. I have a list of dolls that I plan to buy at some point or another, so if say Fairyland is having an awesome event with a free head I dont have a problem putting off other X doll for later. They are all dolls I love and I can be patient especially if Im getting a good deal or item.

I love events where you get free heads or dolls. (like fairyland and Doll Chateau) or where you get discounts and free items (soom) Both provide a lot of incentive for me to order now and even if the event item is not for me im sure there will be other people interested who didnt get to order or didnt have dolls to buy from the company.
      With DC's new ada even im getting my first free doll ever and im so excited, she really does seem like a little christmas surprise <3

Events that have to do with points.. Just collecting points like MOC is nice, i like being kind of rewarded for purchasing, but events where you just get double points dont seem worth it. Its not enough to make me buy at least :)

I personally feel grateful when companies do events. I know they dont have to, a lot of companies are small and like to "give" to customers in the holiday spirit and I think its really sweet. I see doll events as different from like walmart sales, at least. I do feel like complaining about events makes a person look ungrateful/entitled because companies dont have to offer them. Why complain about someone lowering costs or giving you free stuff? because its not enough free stuff? :?

Im not really sure I understand this question. Not all companies do events and I dont blame them it just probably means I wont order from them at the moment. I dont say, blacklist companies for having substandard gifts XD

Because it goes back to the entitlement thing. Im not saying you have to be grateful for holiday events but they really arent necessary and it would probably be easier for the companies not to do them. I dont even see what there is to complain about, that it wasnt good enough? You can always tell them you dont want that free doll/head/wig/eyes and im sure they will leave it out of the order for you XD

8. i couldn't care less about even heads, i'd just grateful for the doll i picked, last time i got an even head it was a male one anyway which didn't interest me

9. I have certainly seen some entitlement from some people, but that's true wherever you go. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a huge, widespread problem, though. Everyone expects some things some of the time-- some people are more invested than others in getting what they expect, others are more able to shrug it off when their expectations are not met.

I know I was rather disappointed, when I was still fairly new to collecting, to learn that I had put in my order for two dolls... before an event started. It wasn't close enough to the start of the event for my order to be lumped in with the early event-eligible orders, and I kicked myself when my sister asked 'did you get in on an event?' and I realized I hadn't researched whether the company would be doing one in the near future. So I feel like in the future, when I make orders, it will be with more awareness of whether or not there is an event, but I won't expect to get something unless I see that an event is going on. It's on me, after all, to time my orders correctly if I want to get a deal.

(it's the same with my makeup stash-- some companies and retailers have events, and I have come out well timing my makeup/brush/makeup remover orders to times that free stuff comes with. I've also loved buying from indie companies that include free samples with orders, which gave me the opportunity to try things I might not have bought for myself, but love getting to play with. But it's on me to research the company, their policy on samples, and whether or not there's a special deal going on, and if I make an order when there's no such thing going on, there's no sense in being sad because I 'only' got what I paid for.)

10. It's fine to have an opinion, that's normal. I wouldn't consider those statements a reflection of entitlement.

There is a difference between, 'OMG, SHE'S PERFECT FOR MY CHARACTER' and 'OMG, SHE'S PERFECT FOR MY CHARACTER AND THEY SHOULD TOTALLY LIKE RERELEASE HER RIGHT NOW DURING THIS EVENT WHICH SHOULD HAVE, LIKE, FREE FACEUP AND WIG OF MY CHOICE AND A DISCOUNT!' Exaggerated example, but the sentiment is there, that the company owes it to you to make the doll you want to see. And I do see it quite a lot in the dollie world?

Stuff that makes me think people are entitled are 'why did they release this doll instead of the other one when I want the other doll!' and '

Yea, but the way your post was written read as "Oh shoot, such and such company didn't have the event I wanted. ):" as "Oh shoot, such and such company didn't have the event I wanted, now they're gonna lose my business, aren't they a bunch of idiot? :)" Maybe I am just reading into it, but it gave me the 'this company kinda sucks' feeling.

I don't think it's wrong for people to be disappointed with a company's event either. I don't think it's wrong to complain that an event didn't live up to expectations. I also don't think we should ever feel 'grateful' for companies to allow us to spend money on them. Please, that's ridiculous. So I agree fully with you there.

Even though you didn't mean for it to come off as entitled, but it did, and I reacted to it, for reasons I listed above. It's not so much what you were saying as how you were saying it, so maybe there is some miscommunication between us. Because I think it's perfectly fine to go 'this event is not to my liking', or even 'Man, the Iplehouse event is kinda lame', because yea, it is. XD But the entitlement comes in maybe when you go on to criticise the company for poor business decisions (which the post seemed to imply) just because it doesn't conform to your likings, like 'they should do better than that if they want *my* money'.

I have no problem with stating here and now that I kinda dislike holiday events in general because THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM and my funds are kinda limited. =3= /hatehatehate

TL;DR

I think entitlement comes about when you have an opinion and expect that others must change to suit it.