1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Expensive? Cheap?

Apr 23, 2018

1. For me, cheap depends on size. Both of my tinies were in the 100-150$ish range, which was definitely really cheap, but you're not without options. I would consider a cheap tiny to be 250$ or less, normal to be 250-400$, and expensive to be above 400$. But for 1/6th scale, it's more like cheap is 350$ or less, normal is 350-650$, and expensive is above that.

I only own cheap dolls, but I plan to buy my grail someday, and he's expensive. I'm not against more expensive dolls; I just like some of the really weird sculpts of the cheap tinies and have a soft spot for Resinsouls. :)

2. After spending a ton on my first bjd, not wanting to keep him and losing my shirt selling him, I will never spend that kind of money again. I have a max amount I will spend now and I try to be very picky with what I buy. I have a little panic attack when I buy dolls now after that experience, because if I don't like the doll getting back what you paid is like buying a new car, it loses value the minute it goes off the lot. At least that has been my experience.

3. I'd never want to go over $1000 for an individual doll. I've been close to $800 but I don't plan to ever exceed that! :aeyepop:

4. Well...

A few years ago, when I first discovered the hobby as a poor student without student, I noped out at a mere 300$ BJD, and it was not even one I particularly liked. Basically, everything was too expensive.

But as an adult with more or less disposable income, my answer is more nuanced. I think it's about your plans, how many dolls you want to have, how many things you feel your doll needs before you deem it "complete", etc.

I want three dolls (woman, thin angry young man, tan muscular man) but they would require each a lot of costumes before I deem them complete. Based on this, I would balk at paying above 1000$ a doll (fullset or blank, without shipping costs) seem too expensive to me even if it's beautiful, but everything under is "worth considering".

There is no "cheap" BJD in my opinion XD. There are only those that seem more in reach depending on your financial situation and how much you love them. :D

5. I first started looking at dolls when I was 15 and the price seemed impossible. Spending what amounts to 4 months of work for a lower end doll was my only option and qt that point I'd be spending just to join the club of ownership, not to get something I wanted... so I didnt and my interest and activity in the community disappeared and reappeared throughout the years. Im 20 now, I just got an associates degree I paid in full and I'm working while saving up to finish my bachelors in product design- in the meantime I was lucky to grab a decent paying job for my experience and Im making living wage while living at home. I also reevaluated my spending... how I could justify 50 $10 purchases I didn't need but couldn't imagine spending the same on a doll. I finally took the plunge and Im awaiting my first BJD, a DC Ant. Still a more budget friendly doll for sure but still a big spend for me! Im also looking at buying damaged dolls because... I'm both a cheapskate and a DIYer.

This was a verrry long way to say that my idea of expensive had grown with me but my need for cheap has remained the same. I now understand those who spend more than $500 on dolls and will likely join that group in the future! To me anythinf over $700 is too much but that may change at some point :3nodding:

6. 300 and under, cheap for a BJD
      350-550: Moderate.
      600-700 Pricey
      700-800 Expensive!
      900+ HOLY COW NO WAY!