1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Eyes! Faves and opinions! :3

Apr 1, 2018

1. Hey all!

So I’m getting a few sizes of dolls in the next couple weeks, and they all have different eye sizes! Show me your pretty doll eyes! :3

Oh, and I have some questions!

Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      I see some gorgeous semi-realistic ones, and even more gorgeous fantasy ones but the ones with things(gears and stuff) kinda confuse me.

Do you wish there were more small iris/pupil sizes or maybe larger ones?
      I personally like the larger irises, even if the iris is too big and doesn’t show the whole circle in the eye well.

Do you buy eyes for dolls with those tiny slits that just barely peek a tiny bit?
      I’m not getting one of those head sculpts but they do look cute either way!

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10? My Amara can wear 9,10 and some 11 ones.

What about modding your doll eyes, ever done that to make a specific pair of eyes work better?
      I may have to with one of my girls and am terrified of it.

I see a lot of pretty large irises with smaller pupils on here, even with ‘natural’ eye styles and anime styles which is pretty much all color and gradients where pupils are supposed to be.

It’s pretty fun to explore shops and stuff too, I’m looking at fantasy style eyes(bright colors, sparkles, glow-in-the-dark, etc.) right now, what shops/stores do you guys look at for eyes? :3

2. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      I like them smaller because I like a realistic adult look. Larger is okay on child dolls, but I like plenty of sclera (white) to show on teens and adults.

I wish it was easier to find tiny irises. I have a lot of dolls with small eyes or narrowed eyes.

Do you buy eyes for dolls with those tiny slits that just barely peek a tiny bit?
      If the eye would show at all, then yes. If it's completely sealed shut, then no.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Doesn't seem to make a difference with most, since they usually can wear a range.

What about modding your doll eyes, ever done that to make a specific pair of eyes work better?
      I have modded my doll's eyes, but only because I wanted to change the eye shape, not to fit specific eyes.

right now, what shops/stores do you guys look at for eyes?
      Safrin doll is my favorite site! They have a lot of variety, and Eyeco is one of my faves!

3. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      I'm starting to really like small pupils. Lots more expressive as you have more options for direction with more white showing.

Absolutely.

Depends on the size of that slit.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10? My Amara can wear 9,10 and some Nope, never heard of this.

Not yet. I'd have it done by a pro, too.

4. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      Yes it does! I prefer realistic proportioned irises in my realistic-ish looking head sculpts. I tend to prefer narrower eye shapes as well,
      so I like the irises to be smaller in general, but just as long as they have iris which are 1:3 of the whole eye and not more than that I'm okay with them.
      I would prefer smaller sized pupils as well, but most of the eyes I own that have small iris are custom made, so they already have smaller pupils (than average).

Yes, I would love to be able to switch out most of my floating heads' eyes, but getting custom made eyes all the time is a pain in the gut. If there were more choices
      available already out there, it would save me a lot of time and money. DX

I do. I prefer narrow-eye shapes. I don't have BJD ones, but I have other types of dolls that have just barely a slit for eye openings.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10? My Amara can wear 9,10 and some 11 ones.
      I have 11mm in some of my dolls, most of them have terribly sculpted eye sockets, so the eyes never sit properly regardless of the size.
      I would prefer silicon for all of them, but Masterpiece doesn't do custom sized iris and Eyeco doesn't take custom orders at all! Most of my
      more realistic head sculpts are stuck with ill fitting eyes.

I have modified the eyes to be smaller on two of my more realistic heads, but just to fit my personal preference better, not because I wanted a pair of eyes to fit better.

I see a lot of pretty large irises with smaller pupils on here, even with ‘natural’ eye styles and anime styles which is pretty much all color and gradients where pupils are supposed to be.
      It’s pretty fun to explore shops and stuff too, I’m looking at fantasy style eyes(bright colors, sparkles, glow-in-the-dark, etc.) right now, what shops/stores do you guys look at for eyes? :3

I haven't purchased new eyes for any of my dolls in the past three-years maybe (more)? I don't have any shops that I find to be my favorite, but if I had to chose I would say Masterpiece
      and Eyeco. I like the realism of the sclera the best, they don't photograph as white as most other types of doll eyes and they have a realistic wet-look to them. I only wish they would take
      a broader range of custom orders, even if they tend to be quite pricey (Eyeco doesn't take custom orders though).

5. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?

Absolutely. I keep buying eyes until the iris size is just right. It's why I multiple pairs of my favorite eye colors in multiple sizes by different makers. I also like to have a sanpaku style for a few of them with pinpoint pupils.

Sure. Over the years, doll eye sizes have trended smaller. It's hard to find a good selection of 14-12mm eyes with smaller irises.

I have so many eyes, everyone gets them.

Do your dolls wear half sized eyes better?

I have some silicones from Masterpiece, they only make their eyes in the odd mm sizes. Their irises are larger so I feel they work better in the eye size one up. So a 13mm works better as a 14mm.

Eye sockets can be wonky in a number of ways, so I do minor mods when needed. I have eye beveler tools from 12-20mm and two ceramic hobby knives I use if the perfect eyes are not quite flush and need some adjustments. This can include smoothing out the interior lid lines and touching up the tear ducts. I really hate to see any gapping.

As far as shopping, I mostly buy urethanes. I used to buy a bunch from Ethereal Angels Gumdrops but they have been closed a while. Mystic Eyes are my favs, but I also like Dollshecraft eyes, Enchanted Doll Eyes, Mako Eyes, Oscar Doll Eyes.

#5 idrisfynn, Apr 1, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    6. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      Personally, I like medium sized pupils (well-proportioned)~

Sure, the more variety there are, the more likely I will experiment with them.

Not exactly what the slits are placed....sorry can't really answer that.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10? My Amara can wear 9,10 and some I've heard of this, but i'm pretty sure my rhea can take 14 mm but I'll have to see once she comes in.

Oh gosh, i've never thought of this, but I doubt that I would have to :)

7. The one maker I keep coming back to for eyes is Oscar Doll. I absolutely love them for anything fantasy-themed, and three of my current five dolls have Oscar eyes. Here's a picture of one of them showing off the sparkle:
      [​IMG]

Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      The pupil size is just one of those things where the overall balance has to look right, but real or fantasy or whatever can be good. For the iris, though I really dislike when the iris fills the whole eye socket because it completely erases the doll's expressiveness and just leaves them with empty cow eyes.

I'd like more small-iris options, but most of the time I manage with just going down one size from the recommended/default.

I don't have any, but I'd probably use a cheap pair just to avoid any glimpses of hollow eye socket... that'd be a little creepy.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? I haven't tried any half-size eyes, since they're not very common and all of my dolls have at least one pair that fits them well now.

Haven't needed to yet, but I would if I had to.

8. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      - yes it does, little bits like if the pupils are small or big or even just a slit

- yes, I would love to have more options

- uhm.. my current doll has a half-open eyes and i'm getting him crystal eyes so there's that

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10?
      - mine is compromised, does not fill in the hole so it doesn't look good that much

- as of now I am not having that kind of dilemma yet so nope

9. Almost all my dolls are 1/6 so i like bigger eyes! Currently most of them wear crystal eyes from oscardolls or konno hinagiku but i am trying out semi realistic eyes slowly.

10. Does it matter what size the pupils/irises(colored part) of the eyes are when it comes to your doll?
      Yes, I prefer realistic, small irises to large ones unless it comes to dolls that are meant to have inhuman characters so pretty much anything goes for them.

Smaller please. It seems there is an overabundance of large irises but barely any variety when it comes to small.

Yes, if the eyes peek out, even a tiny bit, then the doll gets eyes. If it's a completely closed eyed head then it doesn't.

Do your dolls wear better half sized eyes? Say an 11mm eye for a doll advertised as 12 or 10?
      My dolls (see all dolls in general) typically look better in a size lower than what advertised. If the company says 16mm go for 14mm. I find that sometimes even 14mm might be large for them though. A lot of dolls with long, narrow eyes work well with half/in between sizes though.

I love modding my dolls and their eyes, because I like the appearance of narrow, slanted eyes better than the huge doe-eyed look that is so common. Can't say I've done it in order to make eyes fit.

Have some pictures as well;
      Shinju, MNF Juri 2017, in 14mm urethane eyes
      [​IMG]

Natsume, modded MNF Celine, in 11mm high grade glass eyes
      [​IMG]

11. Aww I can't find any good pics of my girl's eyes. They're ersa flora and are blue with a shimmery white pupil. Looks amazing with her purple/gray resin!

BUT! You can see my little deer's eyes!

[​IMG]

I prefer pupils to be roughly proportional but I don't mind if they're a little bigger. It depends on the doll and how the overall look is.

I haven't had much issue finding sizes I need or want

I do have a dreaming head for my Soom Marl, but the slits aren't small enough to justify not having anything in there (they're like... half closed). But if it's super SUPER teeny, I'd probably stick a marble or something in there just so it's not empty.

I haven't come across this issue, so I'm not certain. I'm not even sure of all their eye sizes. My friends and I tend to buy some bulk order or grab bags and I just dig through them until I find some that look good.

I've considered it but I am not confident at all in my ability to mod anything, let alone eyes.