1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face-up Brand Picky: What do you think?

Jan 7, 2010

1. Mm...I hope this is an appropriate topic for dolly debate (-.-)...

i saw kind of policy in some artists here (so far 2) saying that they only do face-up for this that this that brand...or i don't do face-up on that or this brand. It's more a brand thing rather than style...

I can understand if some artists said, i can't do thick face-up or do another style other than mine, i don't copy, etc...something like that. But face-up only a particular brand?

IMHO: I saw that some expensive famous brands are 'easier' to make up as their blank sculpts are usually unique already and pretty/handsome. So, a little bit (sorry) messed up perhaps won't be seen...but some less expensive brand, so far i watch here, quite difficult to handle. I rarely see them turn out very-very beautiful...i apologize if i sound rude...:sweat...didn't mean to...i'm just trying to be honest with to the point words...:sweat...

Face-up picky: I feel that it's a little bit arrogant :|. It's like: I only want to do make-up for a supermodel or a super-celebrity or certain kind of face. No matter how much you pay me, i won't do it.

I understand it's their right and they also don't have any responsibility to explain the reason but it's a little bit bothering me. If their face-up is very-very great like some others I favor, I will... oh ok, exclusive face-up artist. Yeah, with the work like that, of course they can be picky...but if their face-up isn't that great, why picky?

What do you think?

Have you ever been rejected for face-up commissioning due to their policy? (perhaps, they don't disclose it and they ask what your sculpt is and then you got 'no' from them)

If you are a face-up artist and have this policy, may I know why you choose certain brand? (perhaps, my silly theory is right that certain brand is hard to 'figure out'?)
      . May be you have a speific scientific explanation :sweat so we (non-face up artist) can have a more thorough understanding about sculpt, about resin...as sometimes, some want to buy a particular brand because may be the company photo drools more than the fact...They purchased it and then get disappointed

Thank you :)

2. Hmmmm, I've never really searched for face-up artists that deeply, but I can see what you mean in how it does give off that "holier than thou" attitude.

Maybe some people really do think only their face-ups would only look good on a Volks doll or don't want to work with resin that's not as good of quality?

This confuses me(in why they would do it) because, in my eyes, it makes them look kind of experienced, like, "Oh, I can't paint that color resin or tan dolls, etc." I think that if you are a really good face-up artist, you will be able to do a great job on any doll and adapt to their face mold. Face-up artists have it easy, the heads never going to twitch, their going to know what the doll's face shape is before it even appears before them. Make-up artists have people come in and need make-up done according to their preferences and the way their face is shaped, etc. on spot. If you can't do this, I don't think you are that experienced.

Now, this sounds really critical and I don't mean to offend anyone out there because some face-up artists do it because they can do it nicely and it's good money. But some, I think, would really get offended by this.

If they do this for a reason that they don't think they can create an amazing face-up on dolls from particular companies, then I'm glad I can't offer my doll so I can go get an amazing face-up from someone who can do it.

I realize this sounds kind of critical, and I'm sorry to those who I've offended because I'm sure I haven't touched grounds on every reason.

3. Mmm, I haven't come across any faceup artists who do only certain doll brands, myself. Although, it didn't take very long for me to find the faceup artist I plan on working with for my Mei's face - so other than just to admire their work, I haven't been looking that closely at other artists' prices/requirements/etc.

As for supply brands, well, one thing to remember is you get what you pay for. Professional artists use top quality supplies for a reason. They give back top quality results. That usually translates into higher prices, yes.

Interesting observation, though. I'd like to hear from the artist side.

4. An artist should be allowed to work with whatever materials they choose, and really you don't have the right to question it. You do have the right to not patronize that artist, that is your choice. You do have the right to be curious, but that doesn't mean you deserve an answer.

5. well, in some cases, people just have an easier time working on certain types of sculpts. or their face-up techniques don't work well with sculpts that have a certain style of features.

and in other cases, for a lot of artists this is their HOBBY, and they would like to paint certain heads either because they want to see them in person, or just really like them, or have just always wanted to paint one. it is their choice to do something they like to do, and they have no obligation to do otherwise.

6. A little touchy much?

Yes, we do have the right to question the materials an artist uses, because we're sending them our dolls to commission them. If they use Sharpies and oil pastels, I sure as heck am not sending my doll to them, and I would certainly question their knowledge of faceups if they chose to use materials that stain and damage dolls.

Personally, I assume that a faceup artist may want to work with particular brands because of the resin they use. I'm aware that Volks' Finishing Spray leaves residue on other dolls' resin, and some resin stains easier than others, etc. etc., so it may be their own personal resin preference.

If it's not that, though, I'd be curious to know why they'd like a particular brand to do faceups on as well, however, I'm not necessarily opposed to the artist being choosy. There are a ton of faceup artists here on DoA, ranging from choosy to free faceups, so there's always someone to find and commission. :)

7. Yes Pristine Crimson, I am a little touchy, I hadn't realized before today how incredibly insipid people can be, and how little thought they put into what they write on this forum. What a rude awakening. That's sarcasm, in case you are bewildered.
      What I meant when I said "materials" was the sculpt or company, which is what was being discussed. Reading is fundamental.
      Also, the sub-forum title "Dolly Debate" seems to indicate that the OP wants to engage those with either different views than his/hers, not that they just want a bunch of sheeple going "baaaaaaaaaaa, wow you are so right, insert drooling opinion free emoticon here".

8. I can't say I've ever come across that situation nor have I ever been rejected (having not commissioned a faceup in a very long time, only did when it was my first doll and I was clueless! Then I wiped that faceup off only weeks later...) but I can see how it would seem a bit unusual that someone might only work on Unoas. I wouldn't judge an artist because of that because there's a chance they might especially like the ethics of a company (say Company X donated 10% of their doll sales to cancer research, maybe Artist M wants to only do faceups on them because they admire that so much) or maybe they only enjoy the aesthetics of a certain company's sculpts so they only want to work on them (Artist K loves Souldolls SO much that they only own Souldolls, thus, they only do faceups on Souldolls. No interest in anyone else!) There's also a chance Artist H only does this for fun, not profit, so they figure they only want to paint Volks and Dollzone because, hey, I don't like the others, why should I even mess with them? I'd say it's not really good business sense to reject work on a certain company's dolls...obviously you'd get less work and less money, but as long as the artist is well off enough and talented enough to choose their work...they might as well! I'd love to work exclusively on Souldolls... *sigh*

And Stella, I actually very much agree with your point of view, but maybe your tone was a little aggressive, that could have been why your post was questioned.

9. Whoa, people. Breathe. Let's at least wait until the thread gets to several pages before we start the name calling. ;)

The nature of a debate is such that words and statements can and will be misinterpreted. It's certainly possible to calmly explain the intended meaning without being rude.

And as for the topic - I believe that faceup artists have the right to place restrictions on what brands they're willing to work on. Not all companies have the same style of resin, not all companies have the same quality of sculpting, etc. I do not understand the attitude of entitlement that many people have - this belief that sellers/artists/seamstresses/companies/etc have an obligation to provide something according to the terms the purchaser wants. That is not the case. The artist sets the terms, and the purchaser displays their approval or disapproval of those terms by applying their money, or going elsewhere.

10. I've known of at least one artist who ruled out almost an entire brand line because she'd painted scads and scads of them over the years and really wanted to do something different instead of the same doll mold over and over and over. Why does it automatically have to be 'they're holier-than-thou'? Really, the only answer anyone needs is "because they felt like it". You can take that or leave it, but in the end it's the only answer anyone really needs to give for why they will or won't take a given commission.

Topics like these always come off as somewhat sour grapes. Customizers can set their own boundaries as to what they will and won't do; if that doesn't suit what you want, then there will always be someone else willing to take your business.

11. I immediately recall a particular artist that was just opening shop that wrote in their commision info that they outright refused to touch any doll by DollZone. Everything else was fine. I thougt and still think it was a bit off, since it's not like DollZone is the only brand out there with strong and exagerated features. What about DollMore, Bobobie, Angel of Dream, and SoulDoll?

I guess, in that case, it can be chalked up more to the artist's inexperience. I guess a DZ doll would be a bit intimidating if you've never worked with one before.

12. You are certainly correct and you put it really succinctly. I just seem to be defending artists lately, and let me tell you it can be a full time job.
      the "touchy much" dig was pretty sharp, I was not intending with my first post to be rude, just opinionated. When I get hit, I tend to hit back, it's a bad habit.

13. I have seen a few artists that won't do certain types of dolls, or have a very clear preference for certain types. I can understand this. Different artists have different styles, and some artists are more specialized than others. For example, IMHO very stylized heads can look good with a more stylized faceup, while more realistic heads tend to look best with more subtle shading and detail.

And then there is, as has been mentioned, the matter of personal preference or the desire to paint a wide variety of dolls. Personally, if there was a brand that I disliked, I probably wouldn't want to paint them either. And as someone commissioning a faceup, I'd rather not have an artist that didn't like my doll type be the one painting it anyway, y'know? And I've also seen artists offer discounts for certain head types, just because they would like to paint them and/or would like to broaden their horizons. Similar principle, I suppose.

Anyhow, I agree that artists can take commissions for whatever they very well please for whatever reasons. It is up to them to balance the "I need to get business in order to make money" part and the "ohboy, painting!" part.

14. Exactly. There's no need to call people names and/or insinuate a deficiency in their mental capabilities because of misunderstandings and/or differences of opinion.

As for the OP's question, it's not an issue I've run into when looking for faceup artists. If I was considering one and saw that the doll I wanted done was on their 'No' list, I'd most likely just shrug and hit the 'back' button.

15. haha...i think didn't name any brand...(^o^)...

anyway, i accidentally found it actually...i've been searching some face-up artist and somehow, i found that kind policy...rare, though...but there is...
      @StellaMaris
      :
      it's ok if you don't want to share the answer...but looking for an info about perhaps, some resin or others stuff that we buyer may miss can be useful...i'm new in bjd...i was quite naive that i thought that different resin won't be such a big matter, spray? oh, all sprays are just the same...sculpt? mmm, i think if i can leave it to a face-up artist, it would be just fine...until i saw that policy...and i thought...hooo? perhaps, i miss something here?

Yes, for me it's bothering and see it as arrogant, even so...i still want to learn (learning is my habit...it gives me new knowledge and progress each time...)

It's good to know some opinion of others saying about particular resin or spray...it's eyes-opening for me...or it's nothing but only just a big fan like K face-up artist.

and i'm not talking about style, ok...about brand...i sewing, perhaps i can explain a little bit if i don't sew with certain type of fabric for doll clothes...but i don't know about sculpt nature when they deal with face-up...may be i miss something...
      please kindly choose your words. yes, we have right to speak here but let's speak with good words and tone, ok? I've seen different point of view and other experience here. It's great because i can understand it better.

Thank you very much for your kind understanding. (-_-)

16. I don't think it's a bad thing if a person wants to only do certain types. If I were doing face-ups, I wouldn't want to work on a head I find unappealing. I can't imagine it being inspiring or fun at all :/ I realize that the point for most is to make money to fun the hobby, but if you look at a head and think "Great, I have to paint this..." odds are the results aren't going to be the quality that the artist OR the owner are going to be happy with.

In the end, it's up to the artist. They set the rules, if you don't like them, someone else will. And there will be someone else just as good that WILL take your doll, so in the end it really doesn't make much difference with the immense selection of artists on DoA.

17. oh, and i didn't mention the artists...(i didn't even remember it...i just found it and yes, click the back button..it's just their the policy that stuck in my head...)...

Anyway, let's not do that...hahahaha...don't...just don't... (^.^)''''...

18. Good lord, I am tired of people losing their tempers over something that can be civilly disputed. Imho, I encourage the taking of a breather to gather oneself before posting something that could be potentially untactful. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Lately the Debate Forum has been all fired up! I'm sure everyone here has the ability to be calm and civil.

As to the actual OP, I speak in the terms of an artist. I am not a commissioning face up/blushing/anything artist, but just one who draws in general. I do not believe that the purchaser particularly has a right to demand reasons for such decisions. It is not as it you walk into a department store and ask why they don't sell the brands that they choose not to sell. However, I will say that perhaps sending them a polite pm inquiring the reasons of such a choice may lift the curtain which you find clouds your curiosity.

Sometimes it is a matter of personal preference, maybe it is a matter of how the materials they have available react with the resin, etc... We can only speculate. I don't think speculation in place of action ever had much to do with anything xD; but perhaps these artists will find this thread and help enlighten us.

19. I can understand how someone who specializes in realistic faceups on realistic sculpts might not find any inspiration in a Nono or Soo, and vice versa. Even though they are charging money for it, I doubt most faceup artists on DoA are relying on commissions for a living or treating it as a full-time job. For many artists it's an extension of the hobby, while work or study is their main focus. So why would they take on commissions to do in their free/hobby time if they already know they wouldn't enjoy doing them?

It may be frustrating to see that an artist you like won't work on the doll you have, but in general they're just hobbyists too and they have likes and dislikes just like anyone else.

20. Shouldn't they kind of have the right to choose what they want to work with? Just saying ...

On the other hand it is very disappointing when there is a certain doll mold they won't work with, and you love their work. :(