1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Face Up: Freckles! Yay or nay? ✦

Jul 4, 2017

?
  1. Yay

248 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. Nay

25 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Little goes a long way

86 vote(s)
    26.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. I am the exact same way!! I absolutely hate my freckles, and I absolutely don't want them on my dolls, either. Maybe it's a grass is always greener thing. People without freckles love them and people with freckles want them gone. :lol: I do adore moles and beauty marks, though.

2. I love freckles so I would love to give a face-up to one of my dolls and give them freckles. Hopefully soon in the future. :love

3. I loooove the look of well done freckles and skin texture. Especially on the body. It helps add just a little bit more life to a doll, in my opinion. Of course, it depends on the character.

4. I'm of the firm belief that a little goes a long way when it comes to freckles on dolls. I really like a handful of randomly-placed freckles in different colors and sizes versus the full-face splatter.

#104 Selenae, Jun 18, 2018
      Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    5. One half of my Hanazawa boys is covered in freckles. I adore them ^.^ If it doesn't fit the character, I won't put it on them, but if I can squeeze in some face and shoulder freckles, I'll always be happy :3

6. I love freckles. :) When I did my boy's first faceup, I just gave him a few beauty marks, but wasn't quite happy, so I ended up adding a dusting of freckles all over his face and I'm so much happier with him. :)

7. Freckles are literally the bees knees

8. my son's got a bit of freckles and I love it~ it's a custom faceup that the first owner did for the sculpt
      it's subtle but at a closer inspection, you'll see it
      it's really adorable and adds more texture I think

9. Here to answer the survey!

Have you had an experience with asking a face up artist for freckles before? How did that go for you / were you satisfied with it? Or if you're self-painted, did you go overboard or were you afraid to put on any dots at all?

-Nope, and I probably won't. I kinda like the clear skin aesthetic since I'm going for 'ancient Chinese standards of beauty 101' with my dolls. >u< They liked that smooth porcelain fair-skinned thing. Plus, Asians like me are prone to hyper-pigmentation, so we don't get freckles as much as these random black dots...really annoying, ah~

And just on the side: What about beauty marks? Are there any beauty marks that you keep on your doll at all times, as a part of their style/character, or do they come and go as you please?

-Not my dolls per se, but if they fit a character, maybe. A single one by an eye or the lips is pretty traditional and means different things, so I'd play into the cultural background before I ended up dotting my doll. :D

Describing freckles as stars in the galaxy really is a lovely view. But I like light, clear skies!

10. Here for the poll~

I'm in the 'a little goes a long way' category, although I have 'total redhead' in mind for one of my boys on layaway so he'll be getting The Full Deal eventually!

11. Ah! Caught red handed. I have two dolls with a whole lotta freckles between the two of them(yes, one is a red head- the other spends all her time in the sun), and three pending hybrids who will each be getting their own smattering of moles(they're triplets- that's my excuse to have three of the same sculpt). So I will have to sit very firmly in the yay category on this one.

12. I love freckles, beauty marks, and other distinguishing features, both on people and on dolls! All three of my dolls with faceups (my newly arrived Minifee Shushu doesn't have a faceup yet) have freckles, and I adore how they turned out. I love seeing them on other people's dolls, too.

13. My daughter has subtle freckles and so I think they are great. Only one of my BJDs has freckles, also subtle.
      I am planning on a future doll with not so subtle freckles.

14. It really depends on the doll. I love freckles but they are a bit difficult to do really well. There is a book called freckles that shows people that are freckled in every way and what an inspiration! I wish it where in color but it's still an amazing reference. I wouldn't want all my dolls to have freckles any more than I want them all to have the same anything. A well freckled doll can look so great-innocent, other-worldly, sexy-another great option in personalizing my beloved dolls!

15. I always thought freckles looked nice on other people's BJDs. Seeing as all my dolls are vampires, however, I didn't feel that they'd realistically get aesthetic sun damage. But! I recently discovered the true joys of doll freckles when I gave one of my boys a fantasy faceup and decided to do some texturing to cover an ugly spot that my sealant left because I painted him in a hurricane. Now he has "confetti freckles" in blue and pink. Very cute if I do say so myself.

16. Love this girl you are so right! It's gotta be the right doll :)

[​IMG]
      Freckles as part of body blushing would be gorgeous! But I think on the right doll, a beauty mark or two would be lovely as well.[/QUOTE]

17. I love freckles, too. The more the better, but I wasn't able to make them to look natural anough, so none of my dolls have them now. Both realistic and fantasy ones -- as on @KiyoshiSenshi photo -- are lovely.

That's my problem, too. I didn't find any tutorial explaining exactly this.

18. Not my thing, but it’s so interesting to see how popular they are. I do like a nicely placed beauty mark though.

19. .

#119 Gintsumi, Jul 22, 2019
      Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    20. I really like the random texture and dimension the freckles give to the face and body. I am not a huge fan of freckles when they are all the same size I really only like when they look natural and are random in placement on the body. I love using freckles when I do my own face ups as texture on face ups and I love when they are uneven.