1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite doll activity when you got your very first BJD?

Sep 3, 2018

1. I went back five pages and didn't see this, so here we go! When you were first introduced to the doll that started your collection, what was the most fun thing to do with it? Are there any fun craft projects you did? I just ordered my first doll on 8/29 (Though it feels like it's been three years. Please, doll, just teleport here.), and I'm getting super jazzed about all the stuff there is to do with it.

As a completely unrelated side note, I read through the thread about disapproving parents, and while I do feel slightly apprehensive about letting my dad know about this new little friend, I'm lucky in that he probably won't be very surprised. I'm expecting an "Ah... Neat," if anything at all. I've been collecting action figures for most of my life. He should be well aware of my spending habits by now.:lol:

2. Congrats on your new doll!
      I LOVED making clothes for my dolls and planning/doing face ups. I took so many pictures of my dolls when I first started collecting!

3. Thank you! Making clothes does sound super fun! I'm thinking about getting a cheap little sewing machine just to dabble a bit. Were you nervous to start doing your face ups? I know they can be taken off, but it just seems like it might be scary at first. ^_^'

4. Making wig, props and clothes for pics!
      I had no courage for a faceup yet, I always comission it.

5. Congrats on ordering your first doll! I hope he gets to you soon!

When I received my first doll, I was a university student, and honestly my favourite activity was just doing stuff (even studying XD) whilst he sat on my lap or beside me on my desk. XD;; He was great company. Close after that was bringing him outdoors with me and taking pictures of him anywhere and everywhere I could set him down safely - at a castle! at the cafe! out on campus! etc.

6. Prop making is my favorite! I especially love using random bits and bobs around the house and turning them into dolly things, it's very fun! Congrats on the doll!

7. Honestly, my favorite thing when I get a new dolls, both when I was a newbie and even now, was being in their presence. Whenever I went about my house, I would bring the doll along. Making dinner? They're sitting on the counter watching. Watching tv? In my lap. It helped me bond with the doll and get a feeling for their character (since my dolls always choose their own characters). Plus I was still afraid to do things with them for the longest time, so getting a feeling for them helped me see how far I could take them with posing, positioning, and general handling.

8. Oh Lord. Now I remember it and I feel embarrassed but when my first doll arrived I made a very thick knit sweater for her
      just so that she was not naked. Also, I made my first faceup and it was too red.

This topic is very funny

9. Congrats on ordering your first doll! I'm waiting on mine too, and when he arrives I think just admiring him and snapping photos is definitely gonna be my favourite thing ever :kitty2

10. Oh yes, congrats on your first doll! When I got my first doll I was mainly admiring her sculpt, trying out different positions with her body and, like some people before me have already mentioned, I liked to keep her close to me. Until this day my favorite dolls are always sitting on my desk and watching over me while I study :lol:

11. For me it's sewing. Probably because it's both useful as a real life skill and so that I can make the clothes I've always enjoyed seeing but was reluctant to wear myself.

12. Snuggling, or general companionship time. Still my main pick after all these years. :)

13. The first thing I did when I got my first doll was take pictures, and even now I’m still obssessed with photographing them. The photos are just a lot better these days! :XD:

14. My first was nine years ago now, but I don't think I will ever forget how much in awe I was of this little creature. I didn't have a clue what to do with her and I was terrified to do anything that would ruin her, so for the first few days I just opened and closed her box, looked at her, held her in my hands. Then I got braver, so I went shopping, redressed her and took some very amateuristic photos. Eventually, I tried my first restringing on her and my first face-up, but that took a while. For sentimental reasons, she still has that face-up :)

15. So, if I wasn't holding my first doll I was taking pictures and taking it around looking for photo props. I made my own backgrounds out of fabric and used any lamp for indoor lighting. After that it was sewing. But that came after months and years of owning the doll. Now I dabble in everything!

16. I just got my first doll at the end of June and I love sewing for her and I have also been working on making the perfect eyes for her. Other than that I just love having her with me in whatever room I am in.

17. I've ordered my first dolls secondhand from the MP but, as soon as they get here I'm going to spend time fitting their clothes. I was able to use the forum's measurement lists, patterns I've already made, and a few tutorials on YouTube to get a few basic pieces made. I enjoy sewing but I'm getting better at tailoring. I can't wait to practice with them on hand!

18. I was in such awe of this small, intricate being. I really enjoyed (and still enjoy) just being around my dolls, holding them and posing them. I definitely spent a lot of time looking online/around my place for suitable wigs/clothes/props/accessories. My first doll (a Resinsoul Ming) came with a pair of (short) pants and a vest, but I wanted a more substantial shirt for him, so after some searching, I found where someone on here had linked a video and made him a wrap-like shirt thing that didn't involve any sewing since I cut it out of fabric that didn't fray (basically a circle cut out of a pair of old cotton pants that was going to be donated with some additional cuts for arm holes).

19. It was really intimidating because I didn't have a lot of resources and supplies ( I started collected when I was in high school) so I was really nervous but once I started doing it I felt better! It takes a lot of trial and error still.

20. My favorite thing to do with my first was taking him everywhere with me for pictures! I wrote photostories for him, had him chat with other people's dolls through photos with narrative, took him on vacations for pix interesting places.