1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite type of BJD videos?

Aug 11, 2015

1. So, as someone still delving back into the BJD hobby, it amazes me on how many other platforms people are now sharing their dolls (honestly I feel like such an old lady haha). In particular, I'm loving watching all of the videos on youtube of owners sharing their dolls, telling about their backstories or doing reviews or talking about their thoughts on hot button issues in the hobby. It seems I'm always looking for more to watch (and trying not to feel too tempted to make some myself), so I thought I'd post a discussion here about what types of videos other people might like to watch. Maybe there's something I'm missing or I should be searching for? Or if YOU make videos I'd love to hear your experience making them!

2. I do love watching box opening videos of any kind: it may be a doll, clothing haul, wigs haul etc. Like yourself, I also love hearing other people's stories and seeing their beautiful dolls. Hearing their experiences and accounts on any particlar matter or events is really a cherry on top. Not to mention, TUTORIALS! Not only are they very helpful, but also very fun to watch. Really, I wanted to start making videos of my own but life has been busy lately. Maybe soon.

3. Tutorials and reviews are nice. I am in general, not a fan of video openings. I have never looked for or come across the ones telling about back stories or discussing "hot button" issues as you put it. I tend to keep to myself so other than the "r" word, I am not aware of any issues that may be out there. I hear there is dolly drama, but never have come across it thankfully. :)

4. I really enjoy box opening videos. I just love getting to see/hear the excitement as someone sees their new doll for the first time. I also like getting to look at the dolls in detail, and in box openings they usually do that as they'll show the body close up, maybe dress it a little, see how it poses and so on. I find them really enjoyable, as long as they're not too long. I especially like to look for ones of dolls I am going to get, or would like to get, as it's nice to see what they look like.

Plus, I quite like videos where the person answers questions people have sent in, or where they give some tips and advice based on a specific topic. And I always enjoy silly ones, like a recent BJD pick-up lines one I saw that was rather funny.

This is an interesting conversation topic, I'm curious to see what other people say :).

5. My favorite BJD videos are the stop motion ones where the dolls themselves are the stars! I can only imagine how much time & effort goes into those things. They're very cool. I also like reviews if they are well done and aren't too long.

6. I like update videos that show craft/mod projects, talk about character development or just people rambling about general doll plans. I listen to these videos (more than watch) while I'm drawing or doing chores around the house. Box openings are especially fun, I definitely watch those, cause it's cool to see how companies package their dolls, what the company face ups look like, how did it fare through customs, etc.

7. I love to see unboxings and faceup tutorials. You can learn a lot just by watching and practicing the techniques in your head.

8. I love watching BJD videos on YouTube too!
      Box/package openings, diorama tours, and collection (clothes, props, dolls) videos are my favorite to watch but I like watching all sorts of BJD videos.
      The only BJD video I have up on my channel is Nadeko's box opening but I want to start making BJD videos like the BJD Addicts prompts eventually.

9. I love faceup videos.

10. i like unboxing videos, faceup videos and updates (that aren't to talky). My fave videos though are the ones showing off peoples whole collection
      :)

11. I love box openings! Its almost as exciting as getting the doll yourself! As long as they're not too long!

12. Tutorials! I love tutorials that show faceups, or how to make wigs, or shoes , or just anything for BJDs really! It is so much fun to learn to make things for your dolls!

13. I really love to hear about backstories. When you hear people tell their dolls' stories, you really hear how much they thought through their characters. It is so inspiring to see people who create whole worlds for their dolls, the stories really make the dolls come alive. You suddenly understand why a doll dresses in a certain way, or what that scar came from, or why the doll seems to look so sad. When you hear a lot about a certain doll you start to care for them and they transcend out of their plastic shells to become something more. I really love how magical the process of storytelling is and what it does to a certain doll. I think it's super inspiring and am now working on stories of my own.

14. As I'm like you, i love watching almost anything bjd related, and am always searching for new stuff to watch, i have a few youtube channels to recommend :). First Pink peppermint, she has an amazing AS haul, and lots of vids about her dolls. sdrcow is a hilarious guy who posts lots of different videos, like he has a tutorial on how to string jointed hands and box openings and stuff. Asenvabjd posts really interesting videos talking specifically about the hobby, some blog chats and do's and dont's that sort of thing. Also, you have to check out Nicolles Dreams, she is one of the best face artists I've seen. I've been following her for ages, and her work is just stunning. She also does box openings and basics video's too :D.

15. I'm like almost everyone hahaha. I love unboxing videos, especially if they're about dolls I ordered even though they make me even more impatient LOL. I like faceup videos too. I have no experience with painting dolls so those types of videos give me motivation to try it out. (MSC still scares the living nightmare out of me though)

16. I like watching clothing haul videos. Seeing all those amazing things bought from sellers, Taobao, etc. give me ideas of what I might buy for my first doll. Especially if they try the outfit on the doll in the video. Also, box opening videos and face-up tutorials. Though the thought of doing a faceup makes me nervous. I'm not an artsy person at all.

17. Actually I'm not a fan of unboxing videos. I like body reviews and see how poseable a doll is, how the body works, hear opinions what other people think about a body..etc.
      The design and face i prefer to watch pictures from them ^^
      I watch definatly more pics then videos. Really really rare moments, that I watch some and these are mostly reviews..

18. I like watching faceup videos/tutorials...gazing longingly while I'm thinking, "Wahhh, I'll never be able to do that!" There are a few box openings that are entertaining but most of the time they tend to be too long to keep my interest. BJD Collection videos are probably my favorite, especially when the owners talk about the personalities of their dolls and discuss how their backstories intertwine with each other's. Oh! And when I was just a fledgling in the hobby, for some reason I was initially intimidated at the thought of restringing dolls, but watching tutorials online calmed those fears. Now it's not a big deal, haha.

Though my favorite BJD vid has to be the one where this cat was seeing a BJD for the first time and it was like, "....poke...poke...poke....are you alive?" O____O I still get a kick out of it. XD

19. I've quite recently (as in a month or two ago) started really getting into doll videos. I love the clothing haul videos too!:D I got into this hobby because I wanted to dress up dollies and I just adore looking at cute doll clothes. I love seeing what pretty things people have bought (or made) for their dolls.

But I just like basically any type of doll-related videos. It's so fun watching people introducing their collections and talking about their plans. Even more than whole doll box openings, I really like seeing box openings after getting new faceups. It's great seeing their faces light up as the doll they've been waiting for comes back.

20. I love watching box opening videos! I watched a bunch before deciding to buy a doll. I really like seeing the happiness people get when they open their doll ^^