1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

favorite way of storing clothes?

Sep 26, 2021

1. Help! I am too quickly accumulating too many clothes for dolls I don't even have yet and have no idea how I want to store them :?

What is your favorite method of storing clothes?
      bonus points for methods that don't take up a lot of space lol!

atm they are all stuffed in a box while I figure out a sorting system orz

2. Mine are stuffed into boxes - different boxes according to size of doll, boxes for shoes, boxes for jewellery and accessories et. SInce I have over 50 BJD ADN house full of other types of doll (some of which can wear the same clothes) the accumulated boxes of clothes take up a lot of space in our spare bedroom
      [​IMG]
      (the lower shelf the upper shelf is part of my fabric stash) plus some in a few other places when I ran out of space on this shelf.

I'd love to have them on little hangers and hanging rails but that would take up even more space and I'd never get around to putting things back onto hangers (it's hard enough to get aroudn to putting them bakc in the right boxes - i;m not an organised person).

Teddy

3. I do the same as Teddy. Last Christmas I bought a few of those big storage totes they advertise to store Christmas decorations. It started with one for each size but I currently have ones for 1/8 and smaller, 1/6, slim 1/4, Big Baby 1/4, female 1/3, and male 1/3. This coming Christmas I plan to get one for just wigs (they're currently all in a smaller tote) and one more to further separate the 1/6 clothes. Possibly one of shoes as well but those are currently stored in their corresponding size totes. And spare resin parts/accessories I should probably give its own tote. :lol:

4. I don't have too many clothes but they are either being worn or are stored in an Ikea Expedit unit in a box with everything else BJD related that isn't currently displayed. Having decided to only purchase clothes made specifically for the dolls that will wear them, I'm not planning on accumulating many items. I would like to buy a few dresses for my Minifee girl and also get an open wardrobe for her display room.

5. Since I only have tinies, I keep the clothes organized by outfit in a three ring binder. Each outfit goes into an individual plastic sleeve that keeps the clothes nice and flat, and it saves a ton of headache from trying to find tiny clothes in a box. :)

6. I have the decorative storage boxes you find at craft stores for my yosds and my 1/8 size are stored in company doll boxes. Both types of boxes look nice randomly on shelves throughout the doll room. Right now I have them organized by size/type since I have ot dolls and the box with their clothes is usually near where they are displayed. Before I had a doll room, I had my dolls in the spare room and I kept the clothes in flat totes that fit under the bed. I also have a decorative shelf outside the doll room that has the big fabric cube bins and they hold doll boxes nicely.

7. I have a wooden medicine cabinet that I use as a wardrobe for all the casual clothes. There are four little drawers in which I store eyes, poster-tack, hair elastics, BJD jewelry, and other small stuff.

The shoes and wigs are stored in a box that doubles as a coffee table for my SDs.

The biggest clothes (Like one of my girls huge mourning gown) and fullset clothes are stored in the doll boxes.

8. Oh my…with a collection of nearly 50 BJDs, I store doll clothes wherever I can find a bit of space! My dolls are all on display throughout my home in little vignettes scattered artistically about, and I try my best to keep their clothing nearby. I’ve collected a few lovely outfits over the years, but I sew and have made tons more. Every doll has 3-5 outfits perfectly suited to their individual characters, so that’s a lot of clothes! Their display spaces are created from furniture found cheaply at charity shops, which I then refurbish to my tastes…and I always choose pieces that include built in storage below like drawers and shelves specifically for their clothing. For the open shelves, I put the outfits in pretty decorative boxes. For drawers, I place each individual outfit in a 1 gallon ziplock bag so it’s easy to see once I open the drawer.

#8 PoeticSoul, Sep 26, 2021
      Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    9. We use under-bed storage bins here! I purposefully bought a bed with a two foot clearance under it to fit in more recently, haha. :XD:

[​IMG]

Before that I had way too many of those craft store decorated boxes stashed around everywhere. This keeps the bulk contained in one place.

10. @Amet Lol it's honestly nice to see the visual for the 2 ft clearance holding the under bed boxes stacked double. This is something I think I will look into the next time I'm buying a bed frame.

I have always been a fan of storing my doll clothes in those plastic dresser drawers you can buy. It's not perfect but with the amount of clothes I end up having around here it works for me. I really like the ones now, actually not plastic, but same general idea, easy assembly/ pre assembled cheap furniture you can get at Walmart etc, anyway the ones that have a metal frame you build, wooden top, and fabric sided drawers because with a proper top of them you can also sit a bunch of your dolls on top for display!

11. I started out with a steamer trunk, but ran out of space pretty early on with that... It's holding the spare wigs these days.

For the clothes, I ended up buying a pair of smallish, 3-drawer chests of drawers that match the style and wood color of my display cabinets.

12. Haha, glad it’s useful! It was so satisfying to tuck it all away.

13. Wait a minute. @spacefallen that sounds absolutely genius! :D Not only does that sound like such a space-saver, but also really cute..! I have larger dolls, but I'm actually going to see if I can follow this idea and pack some of the smaller outfits like this.

--

I started with shoe boxes in the closet, but as my collection grew so did their wardrobe. I bought an Ikea storage bed frame with 6 large drawers and so far I still have a lot of space left... Perhaps more if I start implementing the binder idea.

Interesting tidbit: My family thought I was crazy for buying a new bedframe for more storage space for the hobby. I thought it was a steal, considering I have a LOT more storage space for a price far cheaper than the Volks sofa for dolls... Oh the joys of relative value. :lol:

14. I have 2 of those plastic 3 drawers made by Sterilite. My smallest dolls clothes I was able to fold and put into old CD binders but maybe I should upgrade to a normal binder...but anyway 2 drawers are for my SD clothes, one drawer for my smalls clothes/accessories/furniture, one drawer for wigs, one drawer for MSD/YoSD sized clothes, and one drawer for everything else. The tops are always cluttered with whatever I haven't put away yet haha. I store the shoes with their respective sized clothing.

15. I like to use little plastic containers from the dollar store to separate outfits and accessories. Keep everything nice and clean

16. @spacefallen haha! I was actually thinking about doing that!
      glad to see someone else had a similar idea!
      I use binders with zipper pouches to store stickers and stamps, so why not clothes too :XD:
      although I'll have to see if A5 size will be a decent enough size for msd clothing *_*

everyones ideas are all pretty neat!
      I think I might try a combo of binder sleeves and storage bins when I get the chance :celebrate

17. Truthfully, everything is just sorta shoved in repurposed Amazon boxes. It's a mess. I recently found a little wooden doll-sized armoire at the Goodwill, which I repainted and finished up. I had the intention of using it, even affixing a dowel rod inside and getting some tiny hangers, but I found that it's far more suited for yosd sized dolls. Most of my collection is 1/3 size *_*

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to store clothes, but I feel like that can't happen until I find the right place to keep them... then find a container to fit.

18. We have a ton of clothing! We being me and @St. James -

We made our own extra deep dresser out of Ikea parts and half of it is dedicated to doll clothing, we each have 5 drawers. We recently sorted all of the clothing so each doll has their own labeled bag (or more) of what belongs to them, things that are shared go in the bag of who is most likely to wear it. Anything pleather is wrapped in tissue before going in the bag. I have one drawer reserved for special outfits whose volume requires more space.

We have large plastic bins in the closet for shoes and wigs. The wigs are also separated into bags by which doll they belong to, and a note saying it's "currently being worn" goes in the empty packaging. Then there's a small decorative tansu that hold jewelry and eyes.

Underbed storage is doll boxes that hold dolls temporarily put away, doll bodies with heads away for faceups and extra legs, hands etc.

19. I purchased an 8 cube storage system. the kind that you put the cloth-sided storage cubes in. I use 7 cloth cubes for the different sized dolls I own and one cube is used to display some tiny dolls and the top displays some of my dolls. I also have a 3 drawer plastic chest of drawers that has wigs in the bottom 2 drawers and eyes in the top one along with hair stuff. Shoes are kept in the appropriate cloth box with the clothing. I also have those little divided plastic containers you find for sorting art supplies to store extra hands and feet and sometimes shoes. I stash those on top of the clothing in the cloth boxes. For patterns, I have a notebook for each size doll and sleeves to put the patterns in with a picture of the completed product. The directions are stored on my computer. Fabric is currently in piles all over our ping pong table- its a work in progress;)

20. @idrisfynn
      oh wow! a dedicated drawer sounds really nifty! i might be able to try that if i can squeeze some of my clothes together in the same drawer HEH