1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling 'done' with a certain doll you have owned for a long time

May 5, 2011

1. Thanks for the comments everyone, really interesting to read about others experiences :)

Has anyone ever head this feeling but tried other things to rekindle the bond between you and your doll? Such as giving it a new face up or name, but it still not working?

2. I tried it once with a doll I had owned for around 4 years who had been my absolute favourite. I had him repainted and tried a different approach. In the end, I still sold the doll and found the repainting to be a big waste of money.

Once my feelings turn towards the cool side for a doll, I'm done and nothing is going to change it. I know I would much rather devote that time and money towards a new doll who excites me rather trying to force something.

3. I don't think I could ever feel "done" with one of my boys. But maybe to help you not feel "done" with yours, you could always put it away for a little while and kinda, "Find" it again :)

4. Yes -- when I'm having trouble with a doll, I really really try to make it work, which is why I've just sold a doll a month ago that never really worked out though I bought her several years before. I had a couple of years of trying with her before I finally threw in the towel. I'll go through different characters, different looks etc and sometimes something will click and all will be well, and sometimes nothing seems to work. It might be a beautiful doll, but there's just no connection there.

Now, there are times when that has worked for me-- I reconnected with my first doll that way, and when I went through and started overhauling my group there were a number of heads and bodies I took apart and recombined in new ways. The jury's still out on some of them, though. I have to say that this process is really letting me find out who is really important to me and who is really just a pretty face, so though it can be hard to make the decision to part with dolls, I think it's doing me a lot of good in the long run.

5. This was how I felt about my first doll. I didn't own her for a really extended "long time," but she was my first doll and I had her for almost one year, which felt (and feels at the moment) pretty long to me. I loved her. She was perfect. I enjoyed having her around and taking pictures. I had developed a history for her that I sometimes daydreamed about. I was always giddy showing her to other people, explaining all her little quirks and why she was so amazing.

And then I sold her. As I put it when explaining this to my husband--who was very, very confused by my actions--it was like this, "She's perfect. I just don't do anything." At that point, I was done with owning that particular doll. I still think back fondly on her, and if I had a time machine I would buy that doll all over again even knowing that I'd sell her. It's important to me that I owned that doll at that time, but I'm also not regretful and wouldn't buy her back. (I originally thought that I would want to buy her back if that opportunity arose, but when it did I declined it. I think that's really the strongest indication that I was done.)

So, based on my own experience, I think that this can happen--that you can love having a doll and think that doll is totally amazing and great, but still want to sell it or otherwise transfer possession. For me, it's important that I get the maximum enjoyment out of my hobbies, so I don't think there's anything "wrong" with or "bad" about moving on from a given doll.

6. Hmmm... no. I've sold two dolls in the past, but both had some features that started to bug me. I've never had the feeling that I was 'done' with a sculpt though, but I'm a hoarder: Usually when I buy stuff, I keep it.

I do understand the feeling, though.

As for trying to keep a sculpt: I'm not that kind of person. When I don't want to own it anymore,I don't want to own it. If something has changed in how I feel about it, a new face-up is not going to change my mind.

7. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about a doll I've my boy for quite a many years and I've adored him but....idk it's just not the same....especially after I got my little girl...

8. I've started to have some feelings like that about Ingrid. I've had her for 2 years, and god, I do love her to pieces. But she was unexpectedly "finished" very quickly when she was meant to be my change around doll (the others I have are character based, and thusly I don't really "play" with looks for them). Over the past month or two, I've started to feel less and less like I should keep her. I'm trying to re-bond before I give her up, but I don't know, it doesn't feel so much like a loss of bonding as much as feeling just finished.

9. Inevitably, I feel this way! I find I tend to have quick, passionate affection for certain dolls, but a while after they arrive, it fades and I usually have ended up letting them move on. The only two dolls that stayed a long amount of time were very sentimental, but even then... they ended up leaving. I don't feel sad or regretful at all - I know many of them have found homes where they are given plenty of attention, and the few that I find myself wistfully thinking of often are not impossible to replace/replicate.

10. I surprised myself by doing this, selling off entire characters, reshelling them into a different concept of sculpt...it happens, and it is rather strange to me when it does. I like dolls with a certain level of realism, but not too much, a certain level of maturity, but not too much. In the end CP dolls have turned out to be just too stylised for me and have slowly left my collection, only a couple now remain. I think the only one that is really settled and will stay is my LuWen hybrid, and he is a smaller headed elf, so he still fits.

Other than that sometimes I have been halfway through collecting a story arc and just decided that the story no longer fits at all, and it is time for the dolls to move on to a new home. This is happening in my minnis collection right now, I am making hte hard decisions about a couple that just do not seem to fit at all with the new progress of my collection

11. I am soon entering the first year of stepping into this hobby ...So far this issue hasn't come to me yet :/
      I am still ,very,attached to my first doll.In fact,the most if you were to compare my first with the rest of the crew.
      I think for this is the reason why face up and customization are available!You get to change the character as you proceed down the route of the hobby :/ ...I have problems to separate myself from my dolls as I am the type that easily get attached to stuffs even if it is inanimate objects.However, I do experience problems of not being able to bond with one doll completely,thus I had to let go of the boy to let him find his own happy family :/ It sounds cruel,or I am the one thinking so but it is definitely way better than letting him sitting in a corner collecting dust .I highly doubt I will have enough with something I love so much though.My previous and still ongoing hobby has lasted for 17 years on counting right now and I has not ditched it even though I have found myself a new hobby.